Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

Hi Col,

Nvidia Smart Scan tool is not for your OS or GC, it is for nForce cards and (Win98 98SE ME 2000 XP Media... MCE)

I visited that Page too https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-uk even though my Java is the latest version 8 Update 191 from last week, the Download dialog to install Java appeared, needless to say I declined, and could not download the Nvidia Smart Scan tool for use. Something fishy there, please don't use the Nvidia Smart Scan tool.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at the end of my tether with all this, I can't understand how it was running fine then all of a sudden at the next start up all this happened.

I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling it again, all this tweaking of graphics drivers, installing, uninstalling, deleting this and that I'm sure some other things might get affected, I ran a few minutes ago FS9 and X-Plane11 and they are OK, there is definitely something wrong with the FSX installation.

Not sure if you know or not but I am running the FSX Gold with Acceleration box version, don't know if that makes any difference to what we have been doing.

The other annoying thing is I've spent lots of time on FSX repainting aircraft, buying Orbx scenery creating ai flight plans, doing water base afcads for seaplanes and probably a few other things all to be inaccessible.

Col.

I'm at the end of my tether with all this, I can't understand how it was running fine then all of a sudden at the next start up all this happened.

I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling it again, all this tweaking of graphics drivers, installing, uninstalling, deleting this and that I'm sure some other things might get affected, I ran a few minutes ago FS9 and X-Plane11 and they are OK, there is definitely something wrong with the FSX installation.

Not sure if you know or not but I am running the FSX Gold with Acceleration box version, don't know if that makes any difference to what we have been doing.

The other annoying thing is I've spent lots of time on FSX repainting aircraft, buying Orbx scenery creating ai flight plans, doing water base afcads for seaplanes and probably a few other things all to be inaccessible.

Col.

Its because you're not receiving the correct advice.

Show content of FULL FSX .cfg.

If the card is not being recognised the place you will find the clues is the cfg file for the sim that has the problem.

I uninstalled FSX once again, I was wondering, I have 3 hard drives on my PC, last time I had it installed on D: drive, along with FS9 and X-Plane11.

So what if I install it on C: not in (x86) though, do you think then it might find the graphics card, is it worth a try?

Not sure what was meant by this

Hi Col,

I have not abandoned you, and I do understand your frustration. This is a complex issue because so few have experienced it or have not sought to find an answer that works. I cannot explain the root cause, which makes troubleshooting even more difficult.

I do not believe the root cause is FSX, the error messages point to Driver issues, which we have tried to troubleshoot using various known common solutions.

The last Dxdiag Display tab told us that your Graphics Hardware acceleration was not operating (Not Available) FSX cannot run without this enabled, despite other applications continuing to run.

Please make sure your monitor cable is plugged into the HDMI, DVI or DP on your Graphics Card, and not into the HDMI DVI or DP on the motherboard back panel.

Could you please perform a simple OS Troubleshoot using the "Hardware & Devices" Troubleshooter, You can find it in Action Center > Maintenance > Troubleshooting > View All > Hardware & Devices.

Run the Troubleshooter, allow issues to be found and fixes applied (if any) note any unfixed items. If any items are found and fixed click OK to exit then restart your computer.

When logged in go to Dxdiag Display tab to confirm all 3 acceleration options are shown as "Enabled" if yes then exit Dxdiag.

Then Start FSX see if it starts without error message, and that the Graphics are working.

If it starts it will require Activation and settings customised, these will be applied to the FSX.cfg

Cheers Jethro

Hi Jethro, did as you requested, the only issue it found was I hadn't installed a Windows update which was 280MB, anyway I did that and restated the PC.

Now I can't try it on FSX because in my above post I said I had uninstalled it, I asked if I could try it on drive C: not in (x86) though.

Or shall I put it where it was before on Drive D: ?

Show content of FULL FSX .cfg.

If the card is not being recognised the place you will find the clues is the cfg file for the sim that has the problem.

+1 on Jethro's observation about this comment....

Read the thread thoroughly and you will note that there are number of posts where Col has provided the info about the card entries in the .cfg in response to questions - the earliest example being in post #5 and, more relevant, in post #10 when he asked you to clarify the RMI statement you made in post #9. Additionally, he posted a copy of the .cfg at post #29, to which Jethro made observations on in post #33...….

Regards

Brian

Hi Bri, good to see you back again.

As I said in my above post, it was in a bit of frustration after all what has taken place with this issue I uninstalled FSX again.

As far I could tell I deleted any references to it from doing a find everything search.

I also said above I ran FS9 and X-plane11 and they ran fine, I have the monitor connected to the graphics card not the onboard PC card, it is HDMI connection.

I had FSX on drive D: not drive C: so I was wondering it to put it on drive C: but not in (x86) thinking it may connect to the graphics, having said that it worked fine where it was before which is puzzling.

Col.

I forgot to add:

I had another look inside the PC, I took out the graphics card and re-inserted it making sure it was seated OK which I think it was before or those other things wouldn't have worked including getting a display on the monitor.

Hi Col,

As you have worked out for yourself the location that FSX is installed has no bearing on the issue.

Did you save anything from your original install? - for example the scenery,cfg file, the logbook.bin file and your addon scenery folder structure - if so, these can help you get back to a configuration similar to your last setup, especially if you re-install to the D:\ drive and replicate your previous setup....

Regards

Brian

+1 MrUnSavory - I don't think Col has actually tried that yet (unless I've missed a post somewhere) but Jethro, Brian and myself have also suggested it - come on Col, give it a shot!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Which version of DirectX have you installed? FSX by default uses DirectX 9.0c which you can get from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Version 9.0c won't overwrite any other DirectX version by the way.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi,

Sorry you are having such a mare with this, I had a look around and

found the following in an old post on the FS Open forum,

"Just fired up my PC and got prompted that a new Graphics card Driver

is avaible for my GTS 250 1Gb graphics card. I, as always, followed their

recommendations and updated the graphic card. I have been playing FSX

for ages and never had a problem like this before. I used to run it at Ultra

High settings, but now when I start FSX it sais: "Invalid Hardware or Driver

detected" "This graphic card does not meet the minimum requirements for

shader support. This product requires a Geforce3/Radeon8500 class or

better graphics card. Flight simulator will now exit"

It seems this guy was in the same boat as you, but there is no response to

the outcome, although he did indicate he was going to roll back his graphics

driver, dont know if it cured the problem though

Dont know whether this may help, but it might be worth a try,

good luck

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Well done Col, that's a very useful bit of info - I think I might have found a cure for you on microsoft.com of all places: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/direct3d-acceleration-is-not-available-in-windows/4c345e6e-dc68-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Just in case that link doesn't work, here's the answer that worked for one guy:

"I spent over 5 hours on this one and finaly figured it out.

Use REGEDIT and change the "SoftwareOnly" key from "1" to "0" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers

and then reboot the system and it should work.

The problem was the DXDIAG under 64bit worked fine but it was disabled for 32bit programs."

EDIT: I just looked for that entry in my registry and it's not there - Drat it!

Plan B: Make sure you have all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed, both 32-bit and 64-bit, which you can download from the links at the bottom of this page:

https://www.itechtics.com/microsoft-visual-c-redistributable-versions-direct-download-links/

Here's a shot of my installation with both x86 and x64 versions:

VC.jpg

Hi Col,

Very interesting your post #86 & Post #95 also observations from Tim's Post #97, 32bit Acceleration is "Not Available" but it is for 64bit.

Also in post #95 & #99 your Device manager shows that you still have your onboard GPU enabled in bios, this may be the reason you are having difficulty getting FSX to recognise your more than capable Graphics Card and Drivers, the thing to remember here is that the Intel HD Graphics 4600 is being prioritised ahead of your GTX1050Ti because it is enabled in bios.

Effectively FSX is only seeing the onboard GPU and is affecting the 32bit GPU Acceleration shown in your most recent Dxdiag's, all features required by FSX in order to run are then assigned to this onboard GPU, not surprised then that FSX is showing a driver issue ( Microsoft error messages can be so vague as to misdirect, oh how I wish they were more specific, it would save hours of headaches and frustration).

Please disable onboard graphics in bios.

(In my bios ASUS mobo "Z87 Expert", onboard GPU is also Intergrated Intel HD Graphics is called iGPU yours may be called something similar on your Gigabyte motherboard)

It is important to only run Graphics through your GTX1050Ti as the only available GPU.

Cheers Jethro

Archived