Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Col, I hope it works out for you, if it's not the graphics driver (and your other sims are working fine) it could be a random FSX error message but caused by some other hardware or driver... 10 years ago I experimented with FSX and got it running fairly well on a PC that ran FS2004 perfectly. I then installed a second CD drive, FS2004 didn't even notice but FSX wouldn't even launch! I had to re-install it from scratch (again!) on the new PC configuration - WHY the second CD drive mattered to FSX I still don't know...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Well done Wim - I missed those myself (I'm having a French biere instead of Belgian, my own fault I know) but this does point to either a graphics driver or directx installation issue - Col, have you tried re-installing DirectX 9? I'm not using DirectX 10 preview mode in my FSX and I've just updated to GeForce 416.81 with no problems.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Col,

Noticed in your pic at post #51 that the DDI entry shows unknown - I would expect it to show a version number for the latest installed DX version that you have installed. Also notice that it states that the DirectX features are also Not available - again a sign that you may be missing or have non compatible essential DX files

As you have done a number of reinstalls of both FSX and the GPU driver, any of which could have led to file corruption or missing files, it may be worth downloading and installing the Direct X Redist pack from HERE - ignore the install instructions provided on the page and SAVE the file to a temp location then run the installation process by right clicking on it and selecting Run As Administrator. The install process will check what versions of DX you have installed and then will install/replace any missing, corrupt, invalid or out of date files...…….

Regards

Brian

Well I messed up a bit here, I went in to the bios or whatever it is, I was looking to see of I had anything disabled.

I saw at the top the display was set for something I forget now but I changed it and saved it then exit, now I have a blank screen, I've tried to do restarts holding down the f2 key that got me that page but nothing is happening doh!

My own stupid fault, all you guys trying to help and I'm making it worse.

Col, I think the consensus is that it's most likely a DirectX problem - you've tried everything else - try a re-install of DirectX 9.0c: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429

Maybe your X-Plane works fine because it uses OpenGL instead?

Hi Col,

Can you do these 2 things plse……

1. Run DXdiag again to see if the items entries I and Wim highlighted have changed.

2. Right click on the desktop and select Display Settings. Scroll down the right hand pane and click on the Graphic Settings link. On the new page ensure that box below the 'Choose an app to set performance' statement is set to Classic App and then click on the Browse button. Navigate to the FSX directory, single click on the FSX.exe file to highlight it and then click on the Add button located at bottom right of the window.

A entry for FSX will appear but it will set to System Default. Click on the entry and you will get an Options button and a Remove button - click on Options. The resulting window should show details of your Power Saving and High Performance GPUs and 3 options - select the High Performance option and click Save.

Close all windows and then try FSX....

Also RE Tim's suggestion about DX9c in post #61 - you can try it but I think it will make little difference. The files included in the download are only for 9c and are included in the Redist pack I suggested. The ReDist pack also includes files for Dx10 and 11 and, crucially, the core features that where showing as Not Available

Regards

Brian

OK Brian back on, I went in the bios again and changed it back to how it was before and the screen went blank on the old monitor, put the new one back on that connects via HDMI and everything was back.

On the discktop Iwhen I right click I don't see choose an app to set performance or any graphics link.

…...

On the discktop Iwhen I right click I don't see choose an app to set performance or any graphics link.

That's because I said...…

Right click on the desktop and select Display Settings...……. :rolleyes::D:D:D

When you right click on the desktop you will see the Display setting link 2nd from bottom. Click on this link and it will take you to the page.

You can also get to the Display settings main page by clicking on the notifications icon at bottom right of the taskbar then selecting All Settings followed by System -

FYI - I will be going offline shortly so will catch up with you tomorrow. Need my beauty sleep as I have to be up at 0500...…..

Regards

Brian

Hello Col,

Something seriously wrong with your setup, based on observations made by Brian Post #54 and Wim Post #56. They observe some serious changes to the Graphics DirextX 11 recognition of your drivers or Graphics hardware.

The unavailable status of all 3 Acceleration components is a serious change from earlier Dxdiag screenshots where they were shown as "enabled" as well as the now missing DDI (DirectX 11 recognition), your card is somehow not performing any accelerated operations under DirectX 9, 10 or 11.

I also observe a change in version and date of your WDDM 1.1 status, your first Dxdiag screenie showed v21.21.13.7563 dated 22/10/2016 07:20:53 DDI & Acceleration are "Enabled", but the most recent screenie shows 25.21.14.1681 dated 05/11/2018 16:54:10 DDI & Acceleration now "Not Available"

DirectX is broken or now unrecognised.

Could you please open the CMD prompt window, Start menu > All programs > Accessories > (Rightclick option) "As Administrator" then type SFC /scannow to run the System File Checker

If any problems are found SFC will display options to fix (No Integrity Violations found is what you should see upon complete scan).

Cheers Jethro

Hi Jethro, when you say acceleration are you talking about FSX acceleration, if so I didn't install it this time, I just wanted to see if FSX would run?

If not then yes things have changed, also remember in the first screenshots, I hadn't updated any drivers but I have since being advised to do so.

I agree with you something is seriously wrong with the setup, that many things have been changed during all this, things deleted, uninstalled, updated, installed etc.

Anyway I'll carry out your next option and see what develops, watch this space lol.

Hi Col,

What I meant by "acceleration" was "Graphic card acceleration" by means of the driver software accessing the DirectX acceleration in the Hardware.

All proposed techniques to resolve your issues except for choosing to uninstall/reinstall FSX are recommended practices that have worked for others with similar Graphics issues. In hindsight uninstalling/reinstalling FSX as a possible solution before discovering the root cause is complicating matters, but has revealed a bigger problem with your "Graphics acceleration" ????

If you have another game that uses DirectX 9 a b or c and/or DX10 DX11 perhaps you could install it, often games will install DirectX versions compatible with the game, you never know it may allow Graphics Acceleration to re-enable. Without DirectX acceleration we are stuck in rendering mode or OpenGL.

I wonder now if you might have missed a critical MS update, in particular the "Platform Update for Windows 7" are there any MS updates marked as "important" or "recommended" which you may not have installed or chose to hide.

Your SFC scan is clear No integrity Violations there so yet another dead end.

atm: I'm reading some articles about WDDM 1.1, DirectX installs, Shader versions, and various trouble shooting techniques, as yet have found nothing I can offer except to confirm many of the things already confirmed throughout the thread. I will let you know if I find a smoking gun pointing to a solution.

Cheers Jethro

Hi Col,

64bit Graphics driver is correct, your OS is Win 7 64bit Ultimate + Win7 SP1.

The FSX GUI environment is 32bit yes, but having a 64bit OS gives you access to the full 4Gb VAS (Virtual Address Space) whereas a 32bit OS will only allow a maximum of 3Gb VAS using the 3G variables switch. Available RAM and VAS are two different things, you have a 64bit OS with 16Gb RAM so you will have access to utilise 4Gb VAS, 12Gb of which can be allocated to running other programs and the OS utilities at the same time, but I digress...

If you were running 32Bit W7 OS you would require the 32bit driver.

I just tried the nvidia check where it scans for any conflicts, it stopped the scan because it said I need the latest Java, well I already have the latest Java, I hate these things.

FSX won't start because I need the latest drivers for my graphics when I already have grrr!

Archived