Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry my post crossed with yours Col, but YES, uninstall the boxed version completely and YES you can choose where to install FSX Steam - however, I wouldn't recommend trying anything fancy at this stage - you can always re-install FSX Steam where you want it AFTER establishing that it runs fine in the default location.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Col,

Before uninstall the boxed version plse check you PM...…..

That said, you can either uninstall it or leave the boxed version installed if you wish. FSX-SE will install as a completely separate product.

Where files are stored in a common area, in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ for example, if you leave the boxed version installed and install the SE version you will see the following entries:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\\FSX-SE

If you un-install the boxed version and then install the SE version you will on see C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

Regards

Brian

Further to my last - seeing as a number of posts crossed paths...…

Yes, you can install SE where you want. The thing to note about the Steam installation (and this for all Steam products not just SE) is that no matter what name you give the top folder Steam will still 'bury' the product in its own Steam specific folder system...……

For example, when steam installs products it will always go into the following subfolder structure:

SteamApps\Common\.

Therefore, if you chose to install at D:\FSX-SE it will in fact install at D:\FSX-SE\SteamApps\Common\.

Regards

Brian

Hi Bri,

Ok thanks, I have 3 other games I bought from Steam ages ago, funny enough I don't play them anymore, I haven't been on Steam website for a long time.

I put in my user name and password but it rejected it, I went on the help and had to change my password, then they sent me a verification code, did that and it got rejected again.

changed my password again, another code sent, this time it went through, then bought FSX-SE, I got the one with the Piper aircraft seeing as it was on offer.

Then went in account to get FSX and had to log in again ,then they sent me another code, eventually I got on, I haven't installed it yet, I just got through uninstalling FSX, after it had finished I went in the folder and it left loads of stuff which I just deleted.

I also went in the apps data but all that had gone.

Col.

Hi Col,

Seeing as you already have the Steam Client installed (the Client is your 'gateway' to Steam website and controls how things are downloaded, activated, updated etc), when it comes to installing FSX be aware that the Steam installer will want to install it into the SteamApps\Common\ folder which is in the same location you currently have the Client installed - I suspect that this will be the default location which is in the (x86) folder at C:\.....(x86)\Steam\........

When you come to install you can point the installation to another location (which Steam refers to as a Library Location). You can create the folder beforehand and then point to it or you can create it on the fly as part of the install process. If you don't give a new location and accept the defaults you can actually 'move' it afterwards using the options available via your library listing. Note, you cannot move the Client itself - the only way to do that is to un-install and then re-install it...…...

Regards

Brian

Moving Steam Client....

When I realized I had installed Steam to program files initially, I belatedly regreted it. I googled the process of moving it and found that it certainly can work and for me it did.

Short version:

Make the new folder

move Steam application (Steam.exe) to new location

move Steamapps and Userdata folders to new location

Have your username and password ready - you will have to log in anew

Run Steam directly from new location.

once installed and tested, you can delete the old folder.

... so it IS a re-install of the client but it couldn't be simpler - you don't have to reinstall the games.

I cannot guarantee your setup will move as easily as mine but if you follow Steam's description below you should be successful

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Well at least it shows that there's definitely a problem with DirectX - have you installed the DirectX 11.1 update KB2670838? It might be worth a try: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks Jethro, I fathomed it as in my above post but downloaded and installed and still the error.

I'm fed up with it, when I did a DXDIAG it takes me to the screen where the Dirext X features are NOT available, but if I click at the bottom to go to 64bit they are available, I have a feeling this is the clue.

How to make them available in the first instance.

Hi Col,

Despite some very good advice this problem is continuing. Seeing the Dxdiag 32bit Acceleration problem associated with 32bit FSX - FSX won't run until its fixed FSX:MS or FSX:SE.

Some things to remember about how Graphics Acceleration is enabled for both 32bit and 64bit in Dxdiag newer OS's Vista, 7, 9, & 10.

If you remember the Dxdiag of old, under WinXP there were buttons next to these acceleration features which allowed the user to enable or disable, there was also a button to test DirectX with a Logo'd spinning cube you could also follow the bouncing ball around a white screen. These features are nolonger part of Dxdiag since windows Vista.

Graphic card /driver manufacturers have been given the ability to set these Acceleration and testing facilities right into the driver, where the user has no interaction with setting, levels of acceleration or having the ability to disable/enable. ( Dxdiag is now only a self test confirmation tool)

For this reason I'm going to suggest that you reinstall your Nvidia graphics driver using the clean install options within the Nvidia driver installer, this includes removing all previous profiles & settings.

It is with great hope!! that this resolves your driver/DirectX and acceleration problem for 32bit and 64bit DirectX

I don't know which driver you have currently installed but this is the latest one from Nvidia Clean install will use Nvidia's installer algorithms to uninstall the existing driver and features.

Visit Nvidia Driver download search manually for your specific setup https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Manual Search

GeForce

GeForce 10 Series

GeForce GTX1050Ti

Windows 7 64bit

English (US)

Recommended/Certified

Result for latest driver

Geforce GameReady Driver - WHQL Version: 416.94 Release Date:Tuesday November 13, 2018

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205937[/ATTACH]

I would suggest downloading to a folder on your desktop and run it As admistrator (Right Click)

Use clean install as advised above, allow removal of existing profiles and settings, you can adjust Native screen resolution and select 3D settings when system has been rebooted after install.

If re-re-re-installing your Graphics driver for use specifically for your GTX1050Ti, with Onboard Graphics disabled in bios does not produce a positive result, then I'm afraid that you may be looking at a Faulty Graphics card, it may need to go back for RMA or they may suggest a firmware upgrade, best to speak to the supplier or manufacturer if this is the case, they may just replace it on return.

Sorry Jethro but I did that with earlier in the hope it might work.

Take a look at this screenshot form my X-Plane11, do the graphics look OK to you, they do to me, so if that works why not FSX?

I've watched a few YouTube videos of enabling the card and they all download the latest drivers, install them, then reboot and then the card is read by the PC game.

Well I've done that as you know, also there was one clip and it is as you describe, the older DXDIAG where there were boxes opposite the features and you could click them to enable, but the newer version won't let you do that.

xplane.jpg

Hi Col,

I have no knowledge of XP11, and even if XP11 runs, it is a 64bit program so if 64bit DirectX Acceleration is enabled and working XP11 will work just fine.

I also don't know which acceleration API is used for XP11, it might run using OpenGL (totally different to DirectX acceleration).

The problem that you currently have is that 32bit acceleration is Not working (Not Available) for 32Bit FSX to utilise.

These acceleration features are now set by the driver. (No user involvement, you cannot self enable what has not been enabled by the driver, unless you know where the code has been affected or in the OS registry)

Hi Jethro, yes I see what you mean, I did download the latest Nvidia drivers for my card, and I also did a clean install using the tick box with the download program.

After the install I rebooted then tried FSX and you know the rest.

So maybe my card is faulty perhaps?

Hi Col,

We have tried every known solution as far as graphics troubleshooting goes. Aside from a unknown fault within the Operating System, which is not apparent because your system seems to otherwise be operating fine with no other errors. The only thing left is to suspect the Graphics hardware, namely your GTX1050Ti as having a faulty chip or 32bit component, your retailer or manufacturer will know how proceed if you explain the Dxdiag issue and the troubleshooting you have already done.

EDIT: I do have one last throw of the dice, have you checked the PCIeX16 slot, that the one you are using is the X16 speed slot and that it does not have any pin/contact damage either in the slot or on the Card. Could you also check that the bios AGP setting for Graphics is set to Auto or Gen2 Gen3 which ever I think the 10 series cards are Gen3

For this reason, earlier I suggested that you try another Nvidia graphics card this would reveal wether the OS has a serious problem (thereby the problem in Dxdiag remains) or if it works then you definitely have a Faulty Graphics Card given that with the replacement card may have All 32bit & 64bit acceleration enabled (means Drivers are fine, its a failed hardware issue).

Hi Tim,

On that link there are 2 files one larger than the other, it is asking which one to choose?

Ignore fathomed it.

Hi Col, you need them BOTH on an x64 system. The same for the Visual C++ Redistributables I mentioned earlier. If you don't install the x86 versions as well as the x64 versions, 32-bit DirectDraw won't work.

Question: Did this start happening after that Windows update?

Go to the start orb, in search enter "view reliability history" without quotes. Look for any errors and post here.

To reinstall your GPU driver do this.

Go into safe mode by rebooting your computer and hitting the F8 key. Run Revouninstaller and uninstall the graphics driver. Make sure you use the advanced mode in Revouninstaller.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Reboot computer normally and reinstall the GPU driver. Reboot computer. Check to see if DDI version shows up in DXDIAG.

Alternatively, you can use this tool. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

DDI stands for Direct3D Driver Interface. It looks like you indeed have a Direct3D issue, especially since X-Plane works. Apparently X-plane uses OpenGL.

This should say 11.

fwO9mC2.jpg

Also, I would not have both GPUs on at the same time. Keep the onboard GPU off in BIOS.

@CRJ, we tried that earlier on with DDU program the re-installed the drivers but it didn't work.

After all this trouble I now think the fault must be with my Graphics card.

It was working then when I went to fire up FSX I got the error message, since then we have tried about everything.

Col.

Archived