Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

DO EXACTLY WHAT I POSTED please.

Your GPU is fine most likely. Answer my questions. What does event viewer say, did this problem start after the Winblows update?

If your GPU was broken you'd probably never be able to play X-plane. You have a Direct3d issue.

Did you use safe mode when you uninstalled the GPU driver?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CRJ, Sorry mate, I just took out the graphics driver, I took a couple of pictures of the contacts that go in the slot, I noticed one top side one of them is slightly shorter, not sure if it is meant to be, then the bottom side another one at the opposite end the same, so again is this normal, if not that could be the cause.

But when I put the card back I'll do the event viewer.

ausu bottom.JPG

asus top.JPG

Someone asks to fix A.

But sometimes to fix A, you need to fix B first.

So if someone (else) ask to fix A again, DO SO.

Don't just reply: "I tried that earlier.".

When people say to tun an app. Run it by Right-Clicking, and selecting: "Run As Administrator"..

Don't keep changing the situation on us all the time.

We are trying to understand your PC.

So don't change it every time.

First question was: "Fix my FSX for me." -- You then uninstalled FSX. So everyone that spent time figuring out what was wrong, has to start all over again.

Don't do things like that. Wait for instructions.

SOmeone asks: "how is the monitor connected".

You don't answer.

Instead you connected the cable diffrent, and lost the screen all together.

Don't do things like that. It sent the whole discussion out of direction.

Just answer the question, and wait for a reply.

Some questions I asked you never answered. Answer them now please. Alll of them. Don't do it for me. Do it to help yourself.

--

*Your monitor. What default resolution is it sold as.

Find out by looking on the back. It's usually written there.

If the resolution isn't shown there, Google your monitor specs and look up the standard resolution.

( Earlier, when I asked, you sent a screenshot that showed the Windows resolution setting. - That is NOT wat I need to know.)

* To what connector on the videocard is the monitor cable connected. VGA, DVI, or HDMI, or DP

* To what connector on the monitor is the cable connected. again, AGP, DVI, or HDMI, or DP

(USe words, sentences, to answer. Make things clear. Just posting "DP" isn't clear.)

(Type a full sentenc like: "My minitor cable is connected to the AGP slot of the videocard. The cable is connected to th AGP slot of the monitor.)

* explain the cable. WHat connector is on each end of it. Is one of the ends changed by a connector?

Explain every part of the cable clearly.

* When you installed FSX-Box earlier, did you actually use the disks and the installer on them? Or did you use some other way to install, and if so how did you install exactly.

*Post also a screenshot of the whole screen. Use Snapper to make it.

Set: "JPG Quality" to: 90%

In settings put a check mark in: "Save Sreenshots Half Size".

Then post that screenshot unaltered.

--

It really shouldn't be too difficult to give this info.

You may not think it is imprtant, but it is. So just answer those questions and swallow your pride.

----

Oh, just in case you didn't understand yet.

FSX won't run because of an issue with your pc.

There is nothing wrong with fsx itself. So un-installing/re-installing FSX won't help.

The card is not damaged either.

This is a software or settings issue. Related to Windows or a driver.

So stop messing with the card and with FSX please.

Leave FSX installed, so you can test if solutions work. But stop messing with FSX further.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you scroll though the posts I answered most if not all of those questions.

I try everything people ask, if you look at the posts you will see someone asked to try this and I replied I just did that, so why do it again when I've just done it.

I've downloaded files people have asked and not their fault but they haven't worked.

I did say I was going to uninstall FSX to see if a fresh copy would work.

It didn't so i/we was back to where we were before, again trying this and that.

In the end I said I was going to try FSX-SE and I got a reply saying give it a go so I did and again back to square one.

I've searched online, watched YouTube videos in the hope to find something.

I really do appreciate all of you for trying to help by the way, I'm not ungrateful one bit.

Some of the things asked I have done a few times and they haven't worked so what would you do, say "OK I just did that but I'll do it again," only to report it didn't work when you already knew it wouldn't because you just tried a moment ago.

Now you say leave it installed and stop messing, so when someone asks me to try something is that classed as messing, what if I read or see something on the net, shall I not try it?

And no: "I feel talked down to so won't answer." please.

Yes, I'm speaking sternly. Mostly because I spent a day and a half helping you while getting very little info.

I'm not being condescending.

Just would like this process to move alonmg a bit more smoothly.

(and with that probably a littl faster as well.)

Waiting for the answred quesions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When people say to tun an app. Run it by Right-Clicking, and selecting: "Run As Administrator"..

I do every time.

Don't keep changing the situation on us all the time.

We are trying to understand your PC.

So don't change it every time.

SOmeone asks: "how is the monitor connected".

You don't answer.

Instead you connected the cable diffrent, and lost the screen all together.

Don't do things like that. It sent the whole discussion out of direction.

Just answer the question, and wait for a reply.

I replied HDMI

Some questions I asked you never answered. Answer them now please. Alll of them. Don't do it for me. Do it to help yourself.

--

*Your monitor. What default resolution is it sold as.

Find out by looking on the back. It's usually written there.

If the resolution isn't shown there, Google your monitor specs and look up the standard resolution.

( Earlier, when I asked, you sent a screenshot that showed the Windows resolution setting. - That is NOT wat I need to know.)

picture coming with spec

* To what connector on the videocard is the monitor cable connected. VGA, DVI, or HDMI, or DP

HDMI

* To what connector on the monitor is the cable connected. again, AGP, DVI, or HDMI, or DP

(USe words, sentences, to answer. Make things clear. Just posting "DP" isn't clear.)

(Type a full sentenc like: "My minitor cable is connected to the AGP slot of the videocard. The cable is connected to th AGP slot of the monitor.)

HDMI

* explain the cable. WHat connector is on each end of it. Is one of the ends changed by a connector?

Explain every part of the cable clearly.

HDMI plug both ends

* When you installed FSX-Box earlier, did you actually use the disks and the installer on them? Or did you use some other way to install, and if so how did you install exactly.

Installed from the disks in the box

Monitor specs

Phillips Monitor 273V.jpg

I said:

The problem is not because of a fault with the fsx install. So stopp trying to fix the fsx programme. That is installed properly.

The Graphics card is also not faulty. And not damaged.

So stop removing it from the pc, before you damage it.

Le us help you. When CRj tells you to install a specific driver, do so.

Don't just say: "I already did that".

Because, yes, you did install "a " driver, two days ago. But lots of thingas changed since then.

You say youy're gratefull for the advice, but if you are, why don't you follow it.

AND: still waiting on that full screen screenshot. What's the holdup!!!! I'm willing to help, but this is rediculous.

More questions. (will it never end;)). Answer everything markd with a * fully.

7* What is the monitor Brand, make, and model number.

8* Is it a curved monitor?

8* where did you find those monitor specs you posted. (link?)

9*Are you using F-secure?

10*When you start F-Secure, does it actually start?

11*does it show an error popup. (If so, what is the full text it shows?)

_*Try to run a scan with F-Secure. No need to run it fully, just cancel it again.

12*Did that scan run and close properly? (If not, what was the exact error message?)

-----

--Then

Reboot the computer in safe mode. --To do this you:

Reboot.

Immediately after the -beep- press F8 many times quickly untill you get the startup options.

Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking".

Windows starts.

The desktop may look different. Ignore that. It will fix iself later. (It may show a diffrent resolution. And desktop icons are in other places.)

Start FSX.

13 *Does it run? Tell me.

(or does it show a different error this time? which one!!)

Close fsx again.

Reboot the pc. No safe mode this time.

Once it's rebooted (normally) the desktop icons will be back in place.

Do these things in this order.

Let me know the reults of these tests.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Il is absolutely right.

When you are in a tech support situation - which is what we have here - it is ABSOLUTELY important that that the instructions given be followed to the letter, but to the letter ONLY.

What this means is that between instructions, the client/customer MUST NOT go flying off in all directions on his or her own, because then the supporter cannot possibly follow what is going on. In my professional career in tech support I have seen this too often, and it is imperative that the client/customer be reined in in order to get the job done.

Jorgen

@ il88pp...

QUOTE 1 - AND: still waiting on that full screen screenshot. What's the holdup!!!! I'm willing to help, but this is rediculous.

QUOTE 2 - And no: "I feel talked down to so won't answer." please.

Yes, I'm speaking sternly. Mostly because I spent a day and a half helping you while getting very little info.

I'm not being condescending.

Just would like this process to move alonmg a bit more smoothly.

(and with that probably a littl faster as well.)

My response to:

Quote 1 - So arrogant and totally unnecessary.

Quote 2 - The only person 'talking down' AND being 'condescending' is YOU...

As to your questions - what does the monitor brand, make, model number, whether the screen is curved or not and its full specs have to do with the issue? IF you have read the post properly you will see that FSX use to work OK and it is only recently that the error has occurred - VERY unlikely that anything to do with the actual monitor has occurred that would create the issue and, therefore, the questions are IRRELEVANT...…….

Regards

Brian

Longbreak, I asked for that screenshot 30 hours ago. post 121.

And yes, it is important. Just like the monitor info is.

I explained I was not being condescending. No looking down on ColR from me.

(Somehow you misquoted my post completely.)

ColR, keep those answers coming. Curious about the results of the tests.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello

I came across this post earlier this evening , and really feel for the OP .

I don't have the tech knowledge of some here ,but would like to help if I can.

I notice at the beginning of post that OP states he had downloaded an update to W7.

I have W10 and have had problems with fs9 after one of there auto updates ie I could run fs9 ,but if I right clicked on any part of the screen other than a legit right click point in a panel the screen would go black for 2 or 3 seconds , if I went from windowed to full screen then this would also produce a black screen ,now I know this is different from the issue reported by the OP ,but a common factor is Windows update.

I solved my particular problem by uninstalling that update for W10 and Fs9 was fine again (no black screen after right clicks)

Could you try something similar with W7?

Remove the last update you mentioned and try running FSX again?

I know this is not an ideal solution as updates are obviously put out for a reason ,but I know in my case as i only use my PC for Fs9 I have managed to disable W10s auto updates and my sim works perfectly .

It may be worth a try just to see IF! that update you mentioned is the cause of your trouble, if only to eliminate it as as a cause (you can always download it again if not.)

Finally! I very rarely post these days but could really feel the your pain ( I have had some stinkers concerning Fs9 and other technical fowlups over the years ) I do admire your persistence in this matter .

By the way one of the best things I have ever done for fixing Fs9 problems and the worry about having to reinstall everything from scratch again is ........Backup ! backup your installation whether 9 or X regularly.

I will continue to monitor this post and will share your joy when you get it fixed.

Cheers Andy

Hi Col, back to finding the faulty or missing DirectX component(s) or it's dependencies:

Have you got IObit Driver Booster by any chance? It's free and it will find and install all outdated drivers of all kinds on your system for you - including gaming components. Anyone who doesn't have this essential program should download and run it now from here: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Col, back to finding the faulty or missing DirectX component(s) or it's dependencies:

Have you got IObit Driver Booster by any chance? It's free and it will find and install all outdated drivers of all kinds on your system for you - including gaming components. Anyone who doesn't have this essential program should download and run it now from here: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Just as I suspected.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/aeaf9b6f003f34ea1e96d99c13916df0247e44c2677cef61df9a36e40cdf9b31/detection

We don't need anymore problems.

Look at the bold and answer the question please.

You are having a DDI issue and it's probably due to a corrupt display driver. Do exactly what I stated using safe mode and that tool to remove all remnants of the driver in safe mode. Then reboot and install the GPU driver. Reboot a second time. Now try DXDIAG.

You should see DDI version both for x64 and x86 versions of DXDIAG.

Yes, that is normal for the shorter copper contact on your video card.

Question: Did this start happening after that Windows update?

Go to the start orb, in search enter "view reliability history" without quotes. Look for any errors and post here.

To reinstall your GPU driver do this.

Go into safe mode by rebooting your computer and hitting the F8 key. Run Revouninstaller and uninstall the graphics driver. Make sure you use the advanced mode in Revouninstaller.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Reboot computer normally and reinstall the GPU driver. Reboot computer. Check to see if DDI version shows up in DXDIAG.

Alternatively, you can use this tool. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Hi Col,

If you are still there and haven't been offended, I would still like to help you if that is possible.

It is not my intention to become offside with anyone here, infact freely giving of your time and effort is held in very high regard. As I've said throughout, those offering support have given some great advice, but so far we have not cracked the case. I want to see Col with a big smile at the end. Hopefully what I have stumbled upon is the light in the tunnel we are looking for.

I have spent the last day or so looking into the Windows Registry on my machine and reading whatever I can find about enabling 32bit DirectX Acceleration. It has been a real nightmare as you know, it has not been easy to find a solution that works.

Earlier in this thread someone directed us to find a specific registry Key & Value I think it was from MS support, where the user could change the current value from 0 to 1 this process would have enabled that Key but switched off the function.

However since reading some other threads out on the MS support sites MS answers, it appears that the location and designation of the Key we need to find has been misquoted as "SoftwareOnly" rather we should be looking for "EmulationOnly" as the defined search. (Find)

I had a bugger of a job Matching the word string SoftwareOnly as it did not exist as a whole string, then I used Find to search EmulationOnly upper case and lowercase exactly as spelled, and hey presto there it was.

Caveat: Col, if you are not familiar with Regedit or are nervous to poke around in the registry, we can take the process one step (instruction) at a time, or if you prefer... handing the task over to someone who knows their way around the registry. (Note if you aren't happy to follow these instructions as understood, to the letter, you could damage the registry and your system may not boot.) If done correctly then there's no risk, DX Acceleration & FSX should be up and running.

In order to find this Key - Value - entry

Open regedit from the run menu

Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then click Edit on the menu

Choose Find

Type the word EmulationOnly 'exactly' in the dialog box

Make sure you checkbox Keys, Data, Values, & Match Whole String Only

Click the Find button

This should take a minute or two searching, you need to confirm that this key exists in your registry (it would be great if you could take a picture or acknowledge back here if found before making changes) once confirmed we can proceed with the alteration.

When the word EmulationOnly is found

Its path or directory tree location should locate it as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SOFTWARE

\Wow6432Node

\Microsoft

\DirectDraw

There in the rightside pane, you will see an entry for EmulationOnly

Note what the current value is (for our reference/sanity)

If it is (1) the value will have switched off 32bit Acceleration (Not Available)

If it is (0) as it should be, then 32bit Acceleration will be (Enabled)

The value set in my registry Key for this EmulationOnly value is (0) if you find that yours has a (1) in this value, please make it (0)

Once you have used (Find) to locate the Key,

being sure that its path/directory tree matches the correct path, to \DirectDraw

Please then double click the word EmulationOnly

It will bring up a dialog to change the value within the parenthesis,

Highlight or delete value 1 and replace with 0 making sure the Hexadecimal option is bullited in Base,

Then click OK button to exit Regedit

Restart your PC

Check Dxdiag for 32bit & 64bit Acceleration components they should all now show Enabled

Now here's the best part, Start FSX, you should not see the error message FSX should start all the way to configuration, databasebuild, and Fly now screen, please Activate as necessary and configure to your liking.

Have a quick fly around then get back to resurrecting your sim addons. If you are going with FSX:SE then it is ready to use, if using the Boxed version you will need to install and activate AccPack.

By crikey I hope this works!!

Kind Regards Jethro

+1 Jethro, I saw this solution myself but couldn't find the EmulationOnly entry in my registry (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64) so I didn't mention it - out of interest, which version of Windows are you using?

@CRJSimpilot: Just as I expected, another virus scanner, another false positive. IObit Driver Booster is perfectly safe.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

That entry is not in my registration Jethro, did the search function then followed the path you posted nothing like that showing.

I did see something unusual and before anyone asks, No I didn't change anything.

reg search.jpg

AuraGraphicsCard.jpg

I don't have an Aura graphics card.

+1 Jethro, I saw this solution myself but couldn't find the EmulationOnly entry in my registry (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64) so I didn't mention it - out of interest, which version of Windows are you using?

Hi Tim,

Win7 64 Pro SP1 / FSX Gold Deluxe Incl AccPack, I use a GTX770 with 347.25 WHQL driver WDDM1.1 DX11.1 capable card with Win7 Platform Update.

I knew I read it somewhere back before the thread reached the 100, I looked for it per the link description but it wasn't there as "SoftwareOnly" search, then I found a topic saying it was named something else, (EmulationOnly), searched for that and it appeared in \DirectDraw as EmulationOnly : value (0) where all my accelerators are enabled in Dxdiag.

It will not come up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers

instead for me it came up in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw

Cheers Jethro

Hi Col,

O'h Bugger!! I thought I saw a light unfortunately it was attached to a 60 tonne locomotive.

That open ASUS key how weird Don't know what an AURA card is. But yours is an ASUS card.

I need to think some more!!!

What does the right panel show if you navigated to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers

Using search SoftwareOnly or EmulationOnly as search term. With "Match Whole String Only" and Key Value Data all checked in the Find tool for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

I have a little question just for my own clarification, it may not be relevant but worth asking.

When you installed your motherboard and Operating system for the first use did you ever install the Chipset drivers from the included motherboard installation DVD/CD that came with your Gigabyte MOBO.

Cheers Jethro

Hi Col,

Ok, I feel were getting close, please don't sneeze.

Have a look at your edited pic if you can read the red text follow to DirectDraw which is above DirectShow and take another pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205963[/ATTACH]

If nothing there, Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw and do the same, highlight the word DirectDraw take a picture

Cheers Jethro

Archived