Graphics Card Error Popup

ColR1948

I found this link for the same card as mine, I notice in the description near the bottom it says Aura RGB

That was in my registry that puzzled me, so that explains it.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/graphics-cards/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4-gb-strix-graphics-card-10158181-pdt.html?istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=xilpqxtpxw&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014%20(PLA)%20NETWORKING~Tp-Link~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=MICROSOFT&device=c&ds_kids=92700032779451677&tgtid=1014%20(PLA)%20NETWORKING&msclkid=1656652fc5b510b3b78a3ec295738c07&gclid=CJm4666e1t4CFQNlGwodQZgHFg&gclsrc=ds

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Col,

I give you this information with some trepidation. I hope your skills are up for a challenge.

Here's where things become a little complicated. How do you feel about creating a DWORD value on the DirectDraw right pane as in the first picture of your last post. #175

Yes it is worth giving a warning at this moment, things could go badly if done incorrectly.

You can see there is in the right Pane, Column headers > Name, Type, Data,

Whilst DirectDraw is highlighted

You will see there is already a Value Name - AB(Default) Type - Reg_SZ Data - (value not set)

Do not touch this Value, we will be creating one named EmulationOnly with a data value of 0

If you rightclick in the right (large pane white space) and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value >

from the pop-out menu.

You can create a new DWORD entry

It will be named New Value #1 initially

Right click this New Value #1 so as to highlight it

Select Rename and rename it EmulationOnly

You will see its data Value is already set to 0x00000000 (0)

No need to do anything more exit the registry restart the PC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205968[/ATTACH]

Now that we have an EmulationOnly entry, I expect Dxdiag 32 & 64bit Accelerators are Enabled please check.

Test FSX

I did as instructed, still no go, but in the registry this is what shows, I did enter the words EmulationOnly but they are not there when I just checked after the restart.

emulation test.jpg

Correction, it is in now and shows correctly but still no go with FSX

emulation test.jpg

Hi Col,

I think there are some distinct differences in the structure of the registry between Win7 64 Ultimate and Win7 64 Pro. I noticed that mine was in the Wow6432Node whereas your was one level above in the tree structure, maybe this matters maybe not, I don't know. There will also be differences between systems given the nature of each compliment of Hardware and software & configuration.

I just don't have any new ideas, but if I do I will post them. Perhaps its time to consult a reputable PC expert in your local area. If they solve it besides a complete OS reinstall we would all love to know what the answer.

Cheers Jethro

Answer these questions and run thes tests and report.

7* What is the monitor Brand, make, and model number.

8* Is it a curved monitor?

8b* where did you find those monitor specs you posted. (link?)

9*Are you using F-secure?

10*When you start F-Secure, does it actually start?

11*does it show an error popup. (If so, what is the full text it shows?)

_*Try to run a scan with F-Secure. No need to run it fully, just cancel it again.

12*Did that scan run and close properly? (If not, what was the exact error message?)

(close F-secure)

-----

--Then

Reboot the computer in safe mode. --To do this you:

Reboot.

Immediately after the -beep- press F8 many times quickly untill you get the startup options.

Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking".

Windows starts.

The desktop may look different. Ignore that. It will fix iself later. (It may show a diffrent resolution. And desktop icons are in other places.)

Start FSX.

13 *Does it run? Tell me.

(or does it show a different error this time? which one!!)

Close fsx again.

Reboot the pc. No safe mode this time.

Once it's rebooted (normally) the desktop icons will be back in place.

Do these things in this order.

Let me know the reults of these tests.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Jethro you have been a real pal, I once took a PC to my local computer shop, they supposed to have done a repair and when I got it home it was no different, I took it back and it turned out they had a young lad looking at it.

Then the owner of the shop said he would take a look, this took about a week, then when I went for it he told me it wouldn't work unless I bought something I forget what but I couldn't afford it so took it home.

Turns out I fixed it myself by looking online while I was at work, it was something and nothing, I've never trusted those shops after that, I know they are not all the same but it put me off.

Anyway back to this PC, it did cross my mind to back up what I could and do a format of the C: drive where Windows resides, I have the sims on my D: Drive and lots of backed up stuff on my E: drive.

Col.

Well done Col! Sometimes a re-install IS the quickest and least painful solution!

I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager Basic (the free version) to create a disk image every month or so, which has saved me a lot of headaches over the years.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim, Thanks mate and thank you for all your time and effort trying to help, I really appreciate it.

I have tried FS9 and X-Plane they are OK, I went to start FSX-SE but the shortcut from drive D: wouldn't work, I went on the steam website and it isn't straight forward, it has started the download again the full 16.5 gig.

I asked on their forum but the expanation is a bit complicated, it did say if their solution doesn't work let it download again, what a pain.

Anyway it should work going off the dxdiag, fingers crossed lol.

Hi Col,

Well, that is good news, sometimes issues are so diabolic that a slash and burn approach is the only way to fix. At least by reinstalling your OS you have a fresh platform to rebuild FSX + addons.

Best part about that is everything will work error free, it also shows/proves that your GTX1050Ti is in good working condition.

All the very best to you Col, hope the rebuild goes without hitch, seems like some serious Downloading for the immediate future.

Tim's recommendation of Imaging software is a very good free investment, where Tim uses "Paragon" I am using "WD Acronis True Image", another good freeware.

Kind Regards Jethro

Update!

I will try a keep it brief, I was having a problem putting my Orbx scenery in FSX-SE, it is a bit of a pain, I looked online and it isn't so straight forward, well to me anyhow lol.

So I thought, sack it and put FSX Box version back on. so I uninstalled FSX-SE via steam, it's still in my account if ever I want it again.

Then I removed any reference to it on my PC, went to install FSX Box Version, during the install I realised I hadn't set the path for it to go on my D: drive and it was installing to C: (x84).

So I interrupted it, big mistake, in doing so I must have corrupted a file, because next time I tried I got a runtime error and it wouldn't install.

So I go online to search for a remedy, tried various methods by installing files but none of them worked, it was late so went to bed.

This morning I thought, is there a repair for Windows? So I searched and there is, do a restart, before the logo appears press F8, a menu comes on and select REPAIR.

It went through the process, I rebooted, tried to install FSX and it worked.

So then I thought all the trouble I/we had earlier downloading files, upgrading graphics, and more, when I could have done the repair method.

I saw in a post from CRJ he mentioned doing a repair, not sure if he meant on the FSX install or Windows, if it was Windows he hit the nail on the head even though it was bit too late.

Anyway I now have the FSX box version back on and it is running well.

Col.

Archived