PhrogPhlyer

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Is this available anywhere for FSX as freeware?

I can only fin the JustFlight payware Dove.

Here are a couple of FSX possibilities:

RAF DeHavilland Devon C2 VP967 for FSX (at flyawaysimulation.com)

De Havilland DH104 Dove (in FSX files at simviation.com link below)

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=dove&categoryId=&page=1&filename=

image.thumb.jpeg.b1fdda2cb7633f34de1a7d03426ea768.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0b1a14f97a5463f509bb09ae429e1d6d.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jgf said:

Ah but it hasn't the cachet of the Sikorsky.

That it doesn't. If choice were no object I would have taken the Bell 407 in a heartbeat. There's a couple MEDEVAC 407's that fly over my house regularly. Someone even did a Repaint for it, which I have loaded up!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Planning to fly into KIGQ over the weekend, doing a little pattern work along the way (thanks for the reminder Suzanne), and find a spot in the hanger for the Comanche.  Still need to put her through a final systems check before rally day.

Looking forward to seeing the Historic Ford Hanger (https://lansingmunicipalairport.org/airport-information/historic-ford-hangar/).  I’ll be at the Marriott, out and about in the neighborhood looking for the best coffee and donuts, or on the apron.  Get those birds ready and I'll see you all soon!

PA-24_4.jpg.31528b9b4b6cad791349fb8cb199bb62.jpg

• Like 1

So, I was thinking what aircraft to use. And just couldn't decide. Too many choices but none stood out. My wife noticed the confused look I had, and after giving her the reason, she suggested going somewhere relaxing for inspiration. So she suggested the beach. The beach she said would inspire me. Yes, I thought! The beach

So off we went. Enjoying the sun,sand and surf at the beach. Which is normally where you find that kind of stuff. The day progressed. And the more relaxed I became.  Yes, the beach made me so relaxed. And when I'm relaxed, I can think, And think I did. The beach gave me the thinking time I needed to decide on an aircraft. 

I thought....and thought...and did more thinking, and thinked some more at the beach. I thinked myself silly. However, inspiration at the beach did not come. 

"Take the kids for a swim. Maybe that will help?" my wife suggested. 
Yes good idea I thought! 
"Come on kids, lets go for a swim!". Yay they shouted.  So off we went down to the water. Then it hit me. Of course!

We don't have any kids. 

"How the hell did you kids get here?! Who's kids are these? Here...here's $20."

"what for?"

"The bus ride home"

"We're too young to ride the bus alo.......

"Get out here...shoo. Shoo! "

Anyway...

...the beach provided no inspiration. I sat in a funk when I returned home. Until the phone ringing jarred me alert. 
"Hello? JSMR speaking".
"JSMR....its Lauchlan O'Heed. "

"Oh Lock-Heed!! How are you? " (nickname for ol Lockie. Always locking himself out of the house). 
"Yeah yeah. Thats me. Thought I tell you some exciting news. Since you're into aviation...and my brother is also. We went to an airshow at our local airfield. I won a ride in a vintage plane!"
"Whoa nice!! What was it?"
"It was a Beech 18". 
"Wow, I've heard of them.  Hope it was fun to ride in?
"Oh yeah it was. A great plane. Perfect for touring I reckon!"

"Hmmm. ok  thanks for the call".

Lets just google it...

Hmmm. Hmmmm some more. Amd more hmmmmming. A Beech 18 eh? Yes....

Yes! A Beech 18! That's what I'll select. A Beech 18 it is!

If only I couldn't thought of that while I was at the beach.  Wonder if the kids made it home ok....

• Like 3

Excellent choice JSMR, if you can forgo the glamour of military these guys (Seven Seas Air Cargo) will rent you this for a month for peanuts:

B18cargo.thumb.jpg.745a9eb9e283acb7f8268d62aa3de944.jpg

They even fitted a slightly modernised panel that might make things a bit easier:

B18cargopanel.thumb.jpg.f5ae2e82c042c66cee8e68601b1f7c6e.jpg

And you could help me out. The Airdale is a little short of space and pay load. With Suzanne's tools (already reduced to bare minimum) her make-up case had nowhere to go.

You could be the solution. And earn a few bucks on the way!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BillD22 said:

Here are a couple of FSX possibilities:

Bill, thank you.

That I'm definitely going to get for my hangar.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

9 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Planning to fly into KIGQ over the weekend

Rey and I got here last Saturday.  We're renting a bungalow just off of the field:

Screenshot(160).thumb.jpg.27a0812654f3f0eef637593fe51d4c3e.jpg

Stop in for a drink when you get in!  Just look for the blue Cherokee (can't be too many of those around, can there?).

We've just been chillin' this week, no flying at all, seeing Chicago, eating a lot of pizza...   Caught the Bears game last Sunday (Rey's a fan)...

Rey's been catching up on his rest; I'm trying to get caught up on my writing...  We'll probably set out next week, take a practice run at the route to work on sticking to a flight plan and to get to know the airports, head back to Chicago, and then run the route for real...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

So, PP... another Change for the Lineup Card. going with the Cayuse (Model 369). ... I was considering the MD-500 or a Jet Ranger, but the Loach seemed to be the better Era appropriate choice, keeping in the Spirit of the Event.

I'm assuming you 'Whirlybirds' will be required to fly some sort of approach and pattern also ... ?

39 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

I'm assuming you 'Whirlybirds' will be required to fly some sort of approach and pattern also ... ?

Active runway to active runway same as everyone else.

As for approach or pattern, it's whatever you can do that is LEGAL.

And for the non-fling-wing drivers, your ability to trim and hold altitude/airspeed/course far outweigh as an advantage the fling-wing ability to T/O and land directly to/from a spot.

But to alleviate any concerns of advantage, timing is changed to be from time wheels (or skids)  leave the ground, until wheels (or skids), touch the ground.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

57 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

take a practice run at the route to work on sticking to a flight plan and to get to know the airports

You mean route familiarization that enhances safety?

Where's the adventure in that!?!

Not me, T/O from Lancing hope for the best!!!

phrog x 2.jpg

9 hours ago, JSMR said:

Yes! A Beech 18! That's what I'll select. A Beech 18 it is!

Great choice, and that panel is fantastic.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

6 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

But to alleviate any concerns of advantage, timing is changed to be from time wheels (or skids) leave the ground, until wheels (or skids), touch the ground.

Fair enough ... and you have just saved us poor fixed wingers a brake job.  🙂

The ever growing gaggle.

Let's see if we can get enough entrants to fill page two.

And for the couple of entrants who have offered aircraft, waiting on pics and you'll be added. Thanks.

Also, please let me know specifically which FS platform/version you'll be using, I'll add that to your name block. It will be interesting to see the differences as the rally progresses.

image.thumb.jpeg.017ea4a9433960420b8f8e7ff6f32770.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

29 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

First collect your aircraft and then get to the start line...

Adventure awaits!

phrog x 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

Coffee and Quesadillas

Breakfast of Champions!

phrog x 2.jpg

Nine here, with Default Scenery.

Breakfast Burritos, Cowboy Coffee.

I will endeavour to fly the Final on Runway Bearing, then turn to the Taxiway and let down, just like our Fixed Wing brethren do.

See youse guys at the Starting Line! 🤪

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I will endeavour to fly the Final on Runway Bearing, then turn to the Taxiway and let down, just like our Fixed Wing brethren do.

And in solidarity with the rotary-winged among us, we will endeavour to land wherever we bloody well feel like (chopper guys have all the fun).

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I will endeavour to

I will also endeavor to, depending on how much time I'm behind... 😇

phrog x 2.jpg

Rally Board with FS versions added.

If there are any discrepancies, please let me know.

image.thumb.jpeg.14432a6ce62433132fecca08fbe31453.jpeg

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg

Still with FS2004, and a conglomeration of scenery that has migrated across three computers (so far).

My old Bonanza has logged quite a few hours since being retrieved from storage.  Cleveland to Pittsburgh to Buffalo and back to Columbus;  where all access panels were removed, wiring checked, control cables checked, rodents removed, installed a correct tach, updated her lighting, and spent half the night polishing her.  I think we're both ready to follow everyone down the road;  will be flying from Columbus to Lansing (hope I don't get distracted and fly to the wrong one).

a35_polished.thumb.jpg.2c7ed451802e7ad913df4c1addc914e7.jpg

• Like 2