PhrogPhlyer

8 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

A cold "whatever you want" is waiting for you. Bravo Zulu

And a toast and three cheers to you PhrogPhlyer for hosting this event, and keeping all of us rebels in line in the process.  Thanks for keeping the FAA off our backs!  🙂

7 hours ago, meloscanlon said:

And a toast and three cheers to you PhrogPhlyer for hosting this event, and keeping all of us rebels in line in the process.  Thanks for keeping the FAA off our backs!  🙂

That was the closest thing to legal flying I have done in a long time!  Hell, as soon as I cleared Santa Monica I went for a joyride through downtown LA under 1000 on the way to Big Bear in the boo, then went for full tour of ordnance bunkers at Seal Beach in the 500.

After the coffee and stuff, and a comment from the Tower Boss that 'We don't often see landings like that, in fact we've NEVER seen a landing like that before! What do you do for a take-off with that thing?' I said I'd be happy to show them as I was just off to the beach! 🙂

I don't think they realised I intended to FLY to the beach though.....

I wasn't too keen on trying to land on the default FSX beach as it's stupidly narrow (see the pics of the XB-70 trying it!) and if one wheel ends up in the FSX water the aircraft will roll into the sea. I tried the Cal Classics scenery upgrade, but the coastline itself is VERY different to FSX's idea and they just don't work together. So I looked along the default FSX coast for a possible landing site not far from KMSO and found one.

Targetbeach.jpg.bc85dcfdbb2719462b6afdfda31c6158.jpg

KMSO's about a mile away in the direction of the red arrow, and you can just see the pier top right in the pic, so my 'landing ground' isn't too far away.

Here's the flight plan I worked out to fit with the prevailing winds, which meant an approach from the sea as the 'beach' is pretty short.

Leg10-b-a.jpg.8b2305066a65bd146878bc5cbc990770.jpg

Total flight time about 5 mins. 🙂

Leg10-b-b.jpg.aa81b924fb2ce0957e0c0bfefd28150e.jpg

As I was already parked right outside the Tower door I thought I might as well start from there, so I powered up the trusty Mercury and had at it. The Tower Boss almost did the John McEnroe thing when he realised I wasn't just taxi-ing to the threshold, I really WAS taking off, right from there!

Leg10-b-c.jpg.72f9e64ae67194bbb5242bbe39a4e678.jpg

Making a couple of left turns I headed out to sea at around 1000 ft and crossed the coastline just north of the pier. I could see you guys high-tailing it south toward my landing site as I went over of course. 🙂

Leg10-b-d.jpg.c7fff2c3b0cc909d8c39b7c0b9cc662e.jpg

Leg10-b-e.jpg.9f3c68db87b607a5125a45b814302a4a.jpg

There were an amazing number of boats cruising around down below, some of them going faster than me! 😯

Leg10-b-f.jpg.2b6d0e74a61779bc658ac23c4598ba1d.jpg

I had a bit of a job getting the Lysander lined up properly, mainly due to the flaps and slats popping in and out as I changed throttle settings on the approach, and on my first attempt I got it far too low (see the shadow on the water below me!) and too slow as well, and stood a good chance of dropping into the surf before I reached land, so I opened the taps, went round and had another go.

This time I got it a lot better by keeping above the flap deployment speed till I was nearer the beach, and then chopping the throttle right back.

Leg10-b-g.jpg.fa0c91bbeb6f4021dac42769b46cc9cd.jpg

I managed to plonk it right on the high water mark, and easily came to a stop before running into the buildings at the end. 

Leg10-b-h.jpg.0d4b553ca34b188d6c4ca760e9f7707a.jpg

Job done I reckon, and NOW we can really start to party, eh? 🙂

I just have to say that this is the first time I've done any SERIOUS flight simming for many a long year, maybe 10 years ago now, and that was flying a 747 freighter on a Formula 1 Grand Prix support contract for the entire year. NOTHING could have been further than that on the flight sim menu than flying this Rally, and I loved every minute of it. 

Thanks PhrogPhlyer for thinking it up and organising it, thanks Melo for talking me into trying it, and thanks to ALL of you for giving me such a welcome into this august body of flyers, I've had a really great time. 

When's the next one? 😉

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

8 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

I loved every minute of it.

I don't think there's a better way to summarize the Route 66.  Congratulations to all of the pilots, support crews, mad dogs and Englishmen, and sketchy sisters of the Astral Dome!!

16 hours ago, meloscanlon said:

And a toast and three cheers to you PhrogPhlyer for hosting this event, and keeping all of us rebels in line in the process.

Here, Here!!!

14 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

When's the next one? 😉

A reminder to everyone: Pop over to The Next Challenge, where that's being discussed.  A rally Down Under?  Tin cans to Canada?  Stay tuned to this station!

And now, until we meet again at the Astral Dome FBO, I'd like to wish all of you and yours a wonderful Holiday season.  Give more Christmas Presence than presents.  Love, forgive, cherish, remember.  May each of you enjoy health, success in every sense of the word, and prosperity in the new year.  May 2024 bring peace!

It's been an honor flying with you!!!

• Like 1

The event has been a delight from beginning to end ... kudos to all.  Special thanks for putting it all together, and keeping things organized PP!  What a task!  Herding cats would be a cake walk in comparison.  Thanks also to VP2 for the early inspiration and lighting the fire.

PP has my nomination for the Max Conrad Award ... do I hear a second?

Max_Conrad.jpg.5fcc604f3a637e6c7626b65b38cce82b.jpg

• Like 1

FINAL STANDING

The two late entries nearly dominated the skies.

It's never too late to join the fun and comradery of our merry band of Sky Pirates.

image.thumb.jpeg.84f6d294969f3311b5c565a3abc99cb2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

And the winner of the 2023 Route 66 Suc-A-Lux Trophy is..

TomPenDragon

Congratulations on your impressive run, only 7 minutes off of planned time.

Suc-A-Lux Route 66 Trophy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I want to thank EVERYONE from initial ideas and planning through the final  days for their efforts, comments, jokes. jabs, nuns, beer, tea, coffee, screenshots, and just Plane Fun!!!

This would not have happened without everyone. We had multiple sim versions and aircraft, and came together as a group of pilots always do. I never dreamed that this thread would have over 900 responses. Such impressive participation by all. Well done, Bravo Zulu.

I look forward to flying the next event, and to passing the "Official Officious Rally Official" duties to the next brave at heart aviator.

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

28 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Max Conrad Award

Quite humbling.

He was one of the greats.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

59 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

... as well as the FlightSim.com crew.  Thank you. 

Concur!

phrog x 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

This time I got it a lot better by keeping above the flap deployment speed till I was nearer the beach, and then chopping the throttle right back.

I managed to plonk it right on the high water mark, and easily came to a stop before running into the buildings at the end. 

Job done I reckon, and NOW we can really start to party, eh? 🙂

Great landing!  🙂

I've enjoyed this whole event while watching "from a distance."  I hope another "open" event will occur in a time frame in which I can participate. 

Either way, KUDOS to PhrogPhlyer and FlightSim etc. for all the effort and digital space that went into the event!!  It was very apparent the entrants had a great experience!  And I'm sure many more people such as myself, enjoyed it from the sidelines as well! 

Michael

• Like 2
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

5 minutes ago, Rupert said:

I've enjoyed this whole event while watching "from a distance."  I hope another "open" event will occur in a time frame in which I can participate. 

I do hope to see you participate in the future!

Fun times will be had by all.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg