PhrogPhlyer

Route 66

Aerial Rally

Official Sponsor

Suc-A-Lux Vacuums

“It they don’t suc, it really blows."

The 2023 inaugural rally will take place starting November 1st. The official end will be no later than November 30th or upon completion of the route by all contestants if sooner.

The rally is open to any flight simulation platform, with emphasis towards legacy versions of MSFS (FS98, FS2004, FSX). The primary focus is to showcase the aircraft and scenery of these legacy programs. However, all others are also welcome to participate (MSFS2020, X-Plane, etc.). 

This rally will follow the historic US Route 66 from Lansing Illinois to Santa Monica California. Participants will fly 1646 miles, visit 11 airports, traverse 7 States, cross 3 time-zones, all while vying for the coveted Suc-A-Lux Trophy.

image.jpeg.e8a691fcf7a25600c1ccd5027d38eb4b.jpeg

Route

1.     Lansing Municipal IL (KIGQ) CTAF 122.7 Rwy. 9/27 18/38 Elev. 620

2.     Zelmer Memorial IL (5K1) CTAF 122.9 Rwy. 18/36 Elev. 663

3.     Jones Lebanon MO (KLBO) CTAF 122.8 Rwy. 18/36 Elev. 1321

4.     Claremore Regional OK (KGCM) CTAF 122.7 Rwy. 17/35 Elev. 733

5.     Cordell Municipal OK (F36) CTAF 122.9 Rwy. 17/35 4/22 Elev. 1589

6.     Tradewind TX (KTDW) CTAF 122.8 Rwy. 17/35  5/23 Elev. 3649

7.     Moriarity NM (0E0) CTAF 122.9 Rwy. 8/26 Elev. 6199

8.     Gallup Municipal NM (KGUP) CTAF 122.95 Rwy. 6/24 Elev. 6472

9.     Flagstaff Pulliam AZ (KFLG) Tower 134.55 Rwy. 3/21 Elev. 7014

10.Needles CA (KEED) CTAF 123.0 Rwy. 11/29  2/20 Elev. 983

11.Santa Monica Municipal CA (KSMO) Tower 120.1 Rwy. 3/21 Elev. 177

Aircraft

Any general aviation and light commercial aircraft from the 1930’s through the 1960’s are welcome to participate. We are attempting to recreate the feeling of the golden age of General Aviation. J-2 Talor Craft through DC-3 or Boeing 247, there is an amazing number of wonderful classics we look forward to participating in this rally.

In addition to the “as delivered” and “off the shelf” paint schemes that are always a pleasure to see, we encourage custom repaints, with various colors and personal or rally sponsor logos.

Weather/Winds

You decide the time of day/night, the weather, and winds for your flight.

Entrant Requirements

1)     Select and appropriate aircraft.

2)     Determine your weather/winds/time of day.

3)     Develop flight planning for the route with your planned route times.

4)     Submit an on the ground (grass, runway, ramp) photo of your entry aircraft (engine off).

5)     Submit a copy of your flight planning.

On the days you are flying:

6)     Route time for each leg begins when you roll for take-off, and ends at a full stop on landing. If you are not stopping at any airport, you must still overfly that field. Record the time when directly over the field as the end time of one leg and the start time of the next.

7)     Take lots of screenshots from taxi to takeoff, enroute, landing and parked for a fuel stop. Poetic license is valued as we all “enhance” our flight with stories and antidotes, sea-stories, and exaggerations. Have fun as your adventure develops.

😎Scoring will be done in a simple and fair manner. Record your route time for each leg/segment. Note the difference in minutes between your planned flight time and your actual time. Minutes ahead or behind planned are considered the same, difference from your planned time. Add together your ten leg time differences. The entrant with the least amount of time from planned will be the “winner.”

9) HAVE FUN!!!

This is all being done on the honor system. So whatever you state was your times, that's what counts. 

Navigational Assistance

1)     GPS direct route to visually assist along your route.

2)     Time compression along your route, if time recorded is the same as without time compression.

3)     Autopilot for wing leveler and altitude hold. In keeping with this period of aircraft autopilot for routing.

4)     Try to use navigational equipment as close as possible to the time period, no FMS, glass cockpits, GPS only, etc. If you are going to use ground based navigational stations, please use VOR and NDB/ADF only.

Share your experiences

As your flight progresses, share occasional pictures and stories on the Route 66 Air Rally thread on FlightSim. Share the fun!!!

Example Picture/Flight Plan Submittal

Here is the proposed entrant aircraft and flight planning for PhrogPhlyer, who will be utilizing FSX and a custom rally paint scheme. We ask that each entrant submit something similar.

image.thumb.jpeg.61c21a7110488b5b931e8fcc07adc4d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.b1bff2691cc8ae06d5d5864c9badbb74.jpeg

• Like 3

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

We're on our way, Folks! Open up the Hangar Doors, let some light in, and pull out one of those vintage Tarmac Turtles for some fresh air! Get that whiz kid A & P with the baseball cap and have him whip up some of his magic! Join us for some good old fashioned fun and FlightSim fellowship. Brush up on your Route 66 knowledge; where's a good place to get a Pizza, a Burger, Fried Chicken or a Drink? Gonna stay at a Motel in town, or camp out next to your airplane like Jimmy Stewart in The Spirit of St.Louis?

Remember... even though almost all of us are flying with 'modern' Scenery, the Airplane you're flying could dictate how you choose to see or envision how Route 66 was when your bird was brand new. Or maybe it's just a 21st Century tour of the Route in a Vintage airplane. It's whatever you want to make it.

So... give PhrogPhlyer a round of Applause for setting things up, and pose all of your Questions his way.

Good Luck and Happy Flying to All!

MOCHA HAGOTDI

vp²

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On behalf of  Sam and Ella Lux of the Suc-A-Lux Vacuum Company, who after significant bribery begrudgedly offered the sponsorship and trophy, I welcome all you daring spirits from the various Flight Simulation Realms to the Route 66 Air Rally. Put on your tea pots, plug in your coffee makers, break out those "special" bottles you've been saving, aaannddd Let The Fun Begin!!!!!!

And remember, for safety reasons, no drinking within 50' of an aircraft.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

8 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

And remember, for safety reasons, no drinking within 50' of an aircraft.

That's only for the pilots, right?  Passengers can drink all they want?  Please?  Otherwise, how am I going to get anyone to fly with me - they won't get in the plane sober...

5 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

That's only for the pilots, right? 

Of course, and the 50' rule is only for when within the sight line of a race official.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, JSMR said:

You can’t enter unless you WILL drink. 

And the rules committee has defined "drink" as any liquid beverage, so as not to encourage the scourge of diet soda. 

• Haha 1

phrog x 2.jpg

1 minute ago, jgf said:

"The only thing we make that doesn't suck".

That can't be true.. what about... uhm... hmmm... Oh never mind.

phrog x 2.jpg

As contestants post the aircraft and flight planning for their entry in this thread, I will add them to the rally board and repost it.

At the end of each day, starting Nov. 1st, I will update the board with position and points.

image.thumb.jpeg.0ce68a950d0a56d2320c9881fd551d26.jpeg

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

My old '47 Bonanza is a bit irritated, after thousands of miles together she's been a hangar queen for several years.  I enter a dark dusty hangar to find a dark dusty plane;  one tire half flat, battery dead, door sticking, and as we push her outside (sunlight!) one brake is grabbing.  Shopping list - brake pads, battery, oil, filters, plugs, ignition wires ...tires?  Why not.  As someone goes  to fill that list I grab soap, water, and sponges;  rest of the day crawling all over , in, and around her;  purge the fuel tanks, tow her to the fuel stand, "give her the good stuff".  Back to the hangar.

Early next morning, the final test.  Out of the hangar, check fluids, kick the tires, the usual runaround  ...er, walkaround.  Climb in, ignition on, hit the starter ....rrrr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr;  "Oh come on now"; rrr-rrrr-rrr-rrr.  Shut down, doublecheck everything, back in;  rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr.  "Look, I know you're mad, but what more do you want?";  rrrr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr.  I know, run to the office, rummage around for a magazine, back to plane, "Would you like your photo in a national magazine?";  open magazine to classifieds-aircraft for sale, "Perhaps here".  Climb back in;  rrr-rrr-ROAR!  (Sometimes you must be inventively persuasive.)  Taxi around a while, everything looks good.  Ready for our first flight in years, a short run to Cleveland, Burke Lakefront.

bonanza.thumb.jpg.733504f8def970cd58ac75ba9c615326.jpg

Climbing out from Don Scott airfield (why do I always want to say "Don Knotts" airfield?) to 8000 ft.   Now officially KOSU, it's always Don Scott to the locals (named for an OSU grad killed in a training accident in England at the start of WWII).   OSU stadium in background.

bonanza2.thumb.jpg.67301390acbbf8bdcdb1d4f087f97c13.jpg

Not too shabby for 75 years old.  I replaced some gauges with Beechcraft gauges, added gear and trim indicators, and updated radios.   She flew the distance by the books - mp, FF, rpm, cruise speed.  Think she's ready for the rally.

bonanza3.thumb.jpg.2eee79ea3a7f155b26875a325a1f2be0.jpg

My plan was east past Burke Lakefront, keeping away from Hopkins traffic, loop around and land on 24R, long and wide with ILS.  Naturally ATC assigns me 6R, short and narrow with no ILS.  Oh well, a long diving S-turn between Hopkins and Burke, VOR set for 6L, which has ILS, then move over to 6R on final.   Probably not accepted procedure, but I didn't feel like looping out over the lake and back.

bonanza_stupid_atc.thumb.jpg.5c358db19aea06f07eb2a2666bacbb9e.jpg

bonanza_stupid_atc2.jpg.621477eb8bc228dbd1769d90f0eda7e3.jpg

145 miles in one hour even, used 18% fuel.  Next flight will be from Burke to Lansing, 300 mi, and a bit more TLC before she gets her kicks on route 66.

bonanza_burke.thumb.jpg.17d524ae48c30333564609147d8bf161.jpg

route_66.jpeg.af5f572c04a7511267a064dfd3566556.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jgf said:

Think she's ready for the rally.

And you're now on the rally board.

T minus 10 days until we take to the skies!

Imagining the glorious thunder when we all start our engines together.

image.thumb.jpeg.e22390665543977f60ad0a2c04486ce9.jpeg

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

This old codger who's an Airplane picker got wind I was entering the Route 66 Rally, and said he's got a beaut for me to check out. Everyone gathered to look as he pulled into Parking...

fsscr005.thumb.jpg.70a2e04f0cab73cfb18066d288fc3cf9.jpg

fsscr006.thumb.jpg.343953afdaea1ca3a949bd1d0cec9465.jpg

Yep, she looks like a Barn find all right. The 205 hp, 6 cylinder engine sounds strong, but she needs further inspection. The different shades from its bare metal finish look kinda cool, though.

fsscr007.thumb.jpg.8d05d2ff8be2887b538933b830554424.jpg

The Panel looks serviceable, with just enough to get around the skies comfortably. Looks like there's enough room inside to rack out should the need arise. 'Ya never know...

I'll take it for a test fly, and see if it'll pass muster.

VP2_R66_130KTS_1946 Navion.pdf

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2023 Route 66 Aerial Rally Application (Short Form)

Name: taoftedal (tao); Aircraft: 1961 PA-24-250 Comanche; Sponsors’: TBD; Ramp Photo: Attached; Flight Plan: Attached; Flight Simulator: MsFs 2004; Credits: Model: Mike Stone (scomanch.zip); Paint: Juan Antonio Martinez Castro (comanche_classic.zip).

Remarks: Application submitted for Rally Committee review and approval.  Should the committee require any additional information at this time please advise.  I'm looking forward to joining all on the apron and hope to make Max Conrad proud of me.  Thank you for your consideration.

PA_24_1.jpg.f3434c04da0fc44d206985f30371d111.jpg

PA_24_2.jpg.b6208a0d727e15e38330d0f5031b36dd.jpg

navlog.pdf

• Like 1

Two more intrepid souls step forward to risk their reputations and fortunes.

Welcoming another couple of classics to the flight line.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9822c78ced124d0a84ffa20ddb850eb.jpeg

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Took her out for a test Flight...

fsscr003.thumb.jpg.25ad61671e1289e0a38fd57109ebfc0f.jpg

fsscr001.thumb.jpg.02989cb44524dca707df2808ead9abdb.jpg

fsscr000.thumb.jpg.bf30fda54809f72935949f77b1a88be6.jpg

Everything seems to work as advertised... wont win any beauty contests, but she'll do.

fsscr002.thumb.jpg.3a231ab2152eb40c2233679c3c55aa3d.jpg

I'll post my Flight travelogue to KIGQ closer to the Event Start...

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

14 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

seems to work as advertised...

That's all that matters.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

27 minutes ago, jgf said:

What?!  That's a sharp plane.  I have one in USAF markings.

Bet it's the same one (Tim Conrad's); it came in Army markings too. It was the Airplane I learned how to fly in the Sim. My one and only Repaint; that's why the funky shading all over it.

The Tachometer doesn't function and the Throttle is very quirky, so I have to use a lot of Trim to get her in Landing configuration. I'm gonna give her a couple more Test Flights to see if I can land her more easily. She'll definitely go the distance otherwise.

If you don't mind I'm gonna 'copy' your enroute Travelogue flying to Lansing idea and do one of my own... 😋

PP... What's the Rule regarding changing Airplanes should the need arise? I might decide to prior to the Event... 😋

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

What's the Rule regarding changing Airplanes should the need arise? I might decide to prior to the Event... 

All's fair up until you take off for your first leg.

At that point I would think the aircraft are finalized, and try to keep the same aircraft for the whole rally (unless it just becomes too difficult().

I know the Sikorski will be a handful, but once I start, I'll stick with it.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Just now, PhrogPhlyer said:

All's fair up until you take off for your first leg.

At that point I would think the aircraft are finalized, and try to keep the same aircraft for the whole rally (unless it just becomes too difficult().

I know the Sikorski will be a handful, but once I start, I'll stick with it.

Awesome sauce! 

Also... did we determine that SkyVector calculates TAS, not KIAS? 🤪

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 minute ago, ViperPilot2 said:

SkyVector calculates TAS

TAS in nautical miles.

All distances on aeronautical charts are nautical miles.

The only distance measurement that is done in statute miles is ground visibility.

Hmmm... I just realized that I need to verify if airspeed indicator in the S-51 is MPH or KTS,

Back to the planning board.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Sorry for being so quiet the past few days - "real life" getting in the way (Don't you just hate when that happens? "What's that, Luv - house on fire?  Well, be a dear and get the documents and dogs to safety; I'll be out as soon as I land...").  Briefly, Tom PenDragon and his youthful ward Rey Harrison will be racing the plane I started to fly in:

Screenshot(100).thumb.jpg.87fc08214b8af14bc08d8f971de533d3.jpg

Screenshot(101).thumb.jpg.d500e74d91a43e111de53cef69cb1cb0.jpg

1968 Piper PA-28-180 (Carenado) Cherokee (which can use some air in the tires)

Flight plan pending...

• Like 2

Another great entry aircraft, starting to look like the airport ramps I walked down as a starry eyed youth.

image.thumb.jpeg.de91b96319f2adb3f9054d97a2077b82.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg