MSFS 2024 announced

• Founder

Going back to the original topic a bit... "Immersion" really takes place in your own head. It's kind like asking which is the better version of a story, the book version or movie version. Either lets you become immersed in a story, with one letting you imagine it for yourself while the other forces someone else's concepts on you.

I personally don't need a lot of hardware to get that kind of immersion in a flight sim. Maybe others do, I cannot speak for anyone other than myself. As a mostly VFR pilot, I found in MSFS 2020 for the first time that I could navigate visually in a world that was real enough that I could find my way around in the same manner as I do in a real plane. It looks like MSFS 2024 will extend that even more, with new activities as shown in the video.

One of the current weaknesses of MSFS 2020, though, is that the scenery techniques used look great from a certain distance but not so much up close. If you stick to airplanes flying at normal altitude and landings only at designated airports the scenery looks pretty great. But in my recent adventures learning to fly helicopters I'm now down low and slow and landing on places where planes cannot go and sometimes seeing the scenery flaws. In one of the quotes about MSFS 2024 it sounded like the developers are aware of this and will be addressing it, which could mean another breakthrough in how the world is displayed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nels_Anderson said:

In one of the quotes about MSFS 2024 it sounded like the developers are aware of this and will be addressing it, which could mean another breakthrough in how the world is displayed.

This would be a game changer for helicopter and other nap of the earth simulations.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

19 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

And Cas, since you didn't answer my question concerning specific peripheral you may have, I can only suggest that you go to the manufacture's website (CH Products, ThrustMaster, Logitech, etc) and see if they say anything about Windows 11 compatibility.

Hi Phrog.

Thought my 12.45pm post where I listed my peripherals might assist. I think my Cougar HOTAS might work in windows mode, but the Foxy programming of it  I’m pretty sure won’t.

I have TRACKIR 4-   Vital for me, I use only VC cockpit views. Seen a couple of requests re whether it works  in windows 11 but can’t see a definite conclusion whether it would work flawlessly, as it does in XP

F.S. Commander and F.S Recorder versions I have work brilliantly in XP. I’ve got a strong  idea they would struggle.

It boils down to this for me, (and this is only what I’ve been trying to say)

Replace the graphics of FSX in my set up, with the graphics of MS2020 or 2024, and everything else stays as is……. then I’d buy it , and a top line computer to run it,in a heartbeat.!

But of course that isn’t guaranteed, so hence doing it isn’t worth the hassle.

I’m glad that many have achieved more or less that, from what I’ve seen on some YouTube videos, and  that others enjoy it in varying ways.

I’m grateful for my FSX setup. But,  don’t want to risk it.😀

Cheers

2 hours ago, Cas141 said:

I’m grateful for my FSX setup. But,  don’t want to risk it,

Enjoy what you have, I do.

Further comments on specifics should be addressed in another forum discussion group.

Not sure which one.

I have found the "PC Hardware, Video And Audio Help" group, bit this seems to be computer oriented.

I don't see any general peripherals discussion forums.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:42 AM, Cas141 said:

I don’t know which of my peripherals don’t work on a Windows  11 computer. I  suspect those of mine (which supported Windows XP) may not work, 

I bought a CH yoke and pedals and Track IR3 when using Windows XP and they are still functioning perfectly well with Windows 11.  I did have to do a work-around with the Track IR3 as it was made for sitting on top of the old CRT monitors and not flat screens, but that has not affected its functionality.  As noted by others, these peripherals are just connected via USB.  Also, as already mentioned, a quick check with the manufacturer's website should tell you if they are compatible with the latest OS or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, diycockpit said:

Add to this list; will the PC specifications for 2024 be higher than for 2020?

They're saying that the footprint of the application will be lower, i.e. that it will be lighter on the systems it's going to be run on.

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1

Intel i7 9700K @ 5.4 GHz, be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard, VGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card, Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 😄 drive
Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive, be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

• 2 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 4:54 AM, Jan Dirckx said:

They're saying that the footprint of the application will be lower, i.e. that it will be lighter on the systems it's going to be run on.

Cheers,

Jan

Sure it will 🤣

• 4 months later...

Historically, MS has used the Flight Simulation platform to showcase new component capabilities. It will not surprise me if the download info and storage footprint is significantly lighter. At the same time, it will not surprise me if DDR5 memory is optimized, M.2 data transfer speed exploited more effectively, or even better use of new CPU technology (for example, large cache). How this develops for specific hardware requirements is still enigmatic at this point. I suspect most modern systems that run MSFS 2020 well, will still work in MSFS 2024, but will  they find ways to use Arrow Lake or AMD 9000 CP:Us for optimization, we don't know? 

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read this whole thread, but what I would personally like to see is better ATC. And I think with AI now being the norm and growing by leaps and bounds that could be a real possibility with future game development. And not just with FS either. Lots of games could benefit from AI.

Anyone try ChatGPT? That sucker is awesome! I had it code me a php file and it helped with a Pale Moon browser extension I want to develop. I've been having it create poems for me, too! LOL

Yeah, better ATC and I'll buy it. I have yet to buy 2020 and reading the comments I don't think I will any time soon either. Just think, it's now been 20 massive years since FS2004 ACOF. Where does time go? Somewhere with

Schrödinger's cat...

• 2 months later...

I hope a moderator doesn't censor this post, as I don't share the enthusiasm for FS2024
I am french and I live near Bordeaux. I am 70 years old
I've been a simmer for a little less than 30 years, and I've been on Microsoft Simulator ever since, and at the time there was no question of photogrammetry! But I had a lot of fun despite that
So I knew all the versions until FS2020
And it was a disaster because I spent more of my time solving computer problems than flying!
The mishap that happened to the french monthly newspaper dedicated to Aerial Simulation, where for an entire day and which he recounted in his editorial recently, I had to endure it myself.
5 times!
I have never had any response from Asobo support, except 4 years after the release of FS2020, the procedure to follow to carry out updates
When I knew that Microsoft was retaining Asobo to design FS2024, even though I should have been happy about it since not only am I French, but I also live 50km from Bordeaux; and it’s actually quite the opposite! What will this company be able to do for FS2024 that it has not been able to do in over 4 years with FS2020?
Am I a 6 week rabbit for Microsoft and Asobo?
The world has changed over the past 4 years, and flying clubs are seeing a very significant drop in customers coming for a baptism (-70% since the start of 2024 here in France); I'm sure it's the same for plane or scene developers
At the end of summer 2023, following the 6th general crash of FS2020, I decided to switch to X-Plane12
And what joy really! I found the same enthusiasm and the same passion that I knew: all the planes are better, and the scenery thanks to Ortho4XP in zoom level 17 for all the places where I like to fly + in zoom level 18 and 19 for the airports and for objects worthy of interest, is perfectly usable, without freezing, without lags, with 30 to 60 and more FPS
My graphics card is an Asus Tuf RTX3080Ti because X-Plane12 deserves it, I have a hangar full of planes and the quality and depth of the systems have no equivalent like the Challenger 650, the Q4XP, the Toliss A319, A320, A321, A340, the Felis 747-200 classic, the FPS E-190 and let's not talk about the all superior GAs!
Aeronautics begins on the ground, and aerial simulation with good planes, the most realistic flight model possible and not having the means to maintain two hangars, I uninstalled (not without difficulty!) MSFS2020 and all addons, to make space on my hard drives
And of course, I will not buy FS2024, considering that Asobo's promotional films that are not made using the software alone are lies
Finally, Laminar Research is an engineering company whose priority is the logic and experience of its users, while Microsoft is a financial company whose priority is the logic of shareholders.
What is happening to Boeing is due to this unavoidable fact: it is no longer an engineering company, but a financial company
From an organizational strategy point of view, my choice as a user is justified here again!
The world has changed: in a liter of milk there is a liter of milk, and not half of a
My publication is only a testimony and should not give rise to any controversy
Happy flying to everyone whatever the platform; enjoy everything
Fly Safe

Landing.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JMichel33 said:

Microsoft is a financial company whose priority is the logic of shareholders.
What is happening to Boeing is due to this unavoidable fact: it is no longer an engineering company, but a financial company

Sadly this is the basis of our modern world.  Everything is geared towards higher dividends for investors ...at the expense of everything else.

In the US we pay exorbitant electric bills because the vast majority of power companies are investor owned (all too often by people who do not even live in this country).  I am a big fan of auto racing, but it has been ruined by "sponsors" (investors) who now dictate the rules, the cars, the tracks, even the drivers.  Friends who are fans of football complain that it is more about business than sport today.  This will only get worse in the foreseeable future as the major effect of someone making money is they want to make more money.

Nice to hear you can continue enjoying your hobby without catering to Microsoft (the best thing that could happen to the computer industry would be for Microsoft to have competition).

• Like 1

"I am french and I live near Bordeaux. I am 70 years old"

I'm 75, live in Chicago, IL USA and very much enjoy MSFS 2020. I also now understand why folks rave about aged French whines.

If all someone's sole contribution to a product specific forum is that they're NOT going to buy said product? Seems like a waste of bandwidth.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

39 minutes ago, JSkorna said:

My next car will not be a Ford. Does anyone care?

The Men In Black from Ford will be calling on you to use the 'flashy thing' and make you forget about posting that!

FWIW, I've just posted in another thread that I think a few features in FS2020 are merely 'place-holders' and have never been properly updated or fixed - it was probably easier to start from scratch with them, hence FS2024.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

18 hours ago, JSkorna said:

My next car will not be a Ford. Does anyone care?

I'm sure the marketing dept at Ford cares.  Anyone selling any product should be as interested in why someone would not buy that product as in why they would buy it. 

There is an old engineering adage, "You learn nothing from success".

On 5/13/2024 at 5:27 PM, jgf said:

I'm sure the marketing dept at Ford cares.  Anyone selling any product should be as interested in why someone would not buy that product as in why they would buy it. 

There is an old engineering adage, "You learn nothing from success".

Absolutely agree, understanding customer feedback, both positive and negative, is crucial for any company. The reasons behind a decision to not purchase can provide valuable insights for improvement and innovation. It’s through addressing these concerns that companies can evolve and better meet the needs of their customers. "You learn nothing from success" rings true; it’s the challenges and critiques that drive progress and growth.

How many times in your life, has a company you didn't purchase anything from, reached out to you and asked why you didn't purchase from them? I bet I know the answer!

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png