MSFS 2024 announced

Looks like an FSX Acceleration-style missions expansion is in the pipeline, with quite a few extra features too:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Saw this trailer just now, presumably only for XBox?

Flight Sim 2024

• Like 1

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Trailer says for XBox, Game Pass and Steam. Watching for more info as it comes out.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Yeah I just stumbled on it while on Youtube looking for airshow videos! I instantly came here to see if anyone was talking about it (no ranting and raving yet on the official MSFS forums). But there's just not enough info yet out for what it means to us MSFS adopters. I for one have many questions like:

1. Will there be an updated graphics engine with an up to date global geography map? My estimate on the current MSFS map graphics is that it was taken from 2011-2012 satellite data. In a lot of areas in the US around outer metro city exurbs, the growth has been insane and landmark buildings are either no longer there and replaced, or in the case of suburban growth, what was rural farmland in 2012 is now full of suburban homes and shopping centers. You can go back in time on Googlemaps Earth Pro to check your area.
  2. Will the missions and challenges shown in the trailer only be available with the new sim?
  3. Will current MSFS users just only need to buy an update?

In any event, I'll hold my tongue until further information is needed. I for one thought we'd be with MSFS/2020 well into 2030 while just dealing with the occasional updates.

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

26 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

Oh, boy!  More stuff to go haywire! 🙄

Yup! Us modders are going to have a field day!

• Thanks 1

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

2 minutes ago, N069NT said:

I instantly came here to see if anyone was talking about it (no ranting and raving yet on the official MSFS forums).

Oh yes there is: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-announced/596064/306

Thanks Tim - I must have missed it. For those interested, here's the Cliff Notes of unknowns straight from them:

Questions we don’t know right now:

• Are addons going to be compatible?
  • How about addons people bought in the store? Will they transfer? Or do we have to buy them again?
  • All the previous world updates and city updates, are they going to be avaliable in 2024?
  • Whats going to happen to 2020? How long is it supported? When will they cut support?
  • Is this going to fragmant the community between the two games? Will multiplayer work between them?
  • What other features are going to be in this?
  • Are all the updates and stuff from 2020 going to be put into 2024?
  • Is this a brand new game? or is it built ontop of 2020?
  • What does this mean for people making addons for 2020? Do they continue building planes for 2020?
i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

A re-phrased update with clearer definitions:

Pursue your dream of an aviation career with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. This brand-new simulator is designed to take advantage of the latest technologies in simulation, cloud, machine learning, graphics and gaming to create the most sophisticated, immersive and awe-inspiring flight simulator of all time. To achieve this unprecedented level of accuracy, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine.

Available day one on Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Windows 10/11, and Steam. Coming 2024.

We look forward to sharing more information about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 in the future.

• Like 1

• Founder

Wow, that really stretches things beyond just flying. Interesting all the helicopter operations, as well as other things that go well beyond just basic flying.

Kind of surprised though. I thought MSFS was supposed to be a 10 year project with continual improvements, and so far that's what it has been. The developers have some explaining to do...

1 hour ago, mrzippy said:

13 pages worth over on the "other" site.  So far 2 knockdown dragout fights, 3 stabbings, and an insurrection! 🤢

The 'insurrection' is a hoax.  But otherwise, it's accurate. 🙂

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

3 hours ago, mrzippy said:

So far 2 knockdown dragout fights, 3 stabbings, and an insurrection!

Sounds like one heck of a party!

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, Nels_Anderson said:

Interesting all the helicopter operations,

Going to be interesting how 2024 will address the basic helicopter flying issues that we've discussed previously and have been present through many previous versions (lack of wide view, lack of closure rate visual, need to read instruments when zoomed back with VC, etc.). I wish them well and hope these are addressed.

phrog x 2.jpg

22 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Sounds like one heck of a party!

Yeah, so far over 25 pages of hysterical nonsense!  Now they are insisting on the creation of a new forum for MSFS 2024 😄

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

57 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

Yeah, so far over 25 pages of hysterical nonsense!  Now they are insisting on the creation of a new forum for MSFS 2024 

In the beginning flight sim was was filled with learning, wonder, enjoyment... then a darkness filled the sky. It went by many names, "New and Improved", "User Friendly", "As real as it gets." And the masses flocked to the pied piper of Microsoft.

phrog x 2.jpg

10 hours ago, N069NT said:

Questions we don’t know right now:

• Are addons going to be compatible?
  • How about addons people bought in the store? Will they transfer? Or do we have to buy them again?
  • All the previous world updates and city updates, are they going to be avaliable in 2024?
  • Whats going to happen to 2020? How long is it supported? When will they cut support?
  • Is this going to fragmant the community between the two games? Will multiplayer work between them?
  • What other features are going to be in this?
  • Are all the updates and stuff from 2020 going to be put into 2024?
  • Is this a brand new game? or is it built ontop of 2020?
  • What does this mean for people making addons for 2020? Do they continue building planes for 2020?

Add to this list; will the PC specifications for 2024 be higher than for 2020?

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

They have put up a FAQ with a couple answers.

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 be a completely standalone sequel, or will it also be offered as a paid update for existing players?

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is a standalone simulator and the next-generation sequel to Microsoft Flight Simulator that launched in 2020. Current aircraft and airports that are in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), as well as virtually all Marketplace add-ons, will be supported in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

Will all purchases users have made from the Marketplace be transferrable to the new simulator?

With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

• Founder
12 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Going to be interesting how 2024 will address the basic helicopter flying issues that we've discussed previously and have been present through many previous versions (lack of wide view, lack of closure rate visual, need to read instruments when zoomed back with VC, etc.). I wish them well and hope these are addressed.

Given the rescue and delivery scenarios shown in the video, they'll have to fix those things to make such flying even possible.

• Like 1

I suspect that many folks (like me) expected a longer shelf life/ best buy timeframe from MSFS 2020 than this? Of course I have NO idea if the newcomer is meant to be a 'replacement' to 2020 or merely a new flight game that consists of various specific scenarios without the global airport choice, aircraft choice etc that we now enjoy? I dunno but I'm certain I WILL know long before the time comes to open my wallet........ again. LOL

• Like 1

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

36 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

rescue and delivery scenarios

Having flown actual SAR over water, it was nearly impossible to hold a hover over a person or small boat due to lack of visual references. We utilized a doppler hover system that had a gauge similar to an ILS gauge. With vertical and horizontal displacement indicated.

The image is a similar presentation by FIP Gauges to the actual one we used.

image.jpeg.e6bfe6e1e617d134ee3d0dfcc7158c7e.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg