Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cessna 152 max weight = 100% fuel + pilot and co-pilot (170 lbs each) only??

Default Cessna 152 max weight = 100% fuel + pilot and co-pilot (170 lbs each) only??

Let me get this straight. With a co-pilot and full fuel tanks, the C152 can't bring any cargo??

Quote Originally Posted by oneleg View Post
    Let me get this straight. With a co-pilot and full fuel tanks, the C152 can't bring any cargo??
    Sounds about right. When I learned we even had to weigh each pilot, to be sure.
    I know it can't fill tanks and pax seat, even a heavy pilot needed to be careful.

It certainly looks like it, it also depends on the weight of the crew not being over 170lbs each on whether full fuel can be carried.

Where in a 152 can you store any cargo? Your wife/girl friend might find room for her purse? LOL!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    Where in a 152 can you store any cargo? Your wife/girl friend might find room for her purse? LOL!!

Rick
    Actually, there is room behind the seats for a small amount of baggage (couple of suitcases, etc.) but, as mentioned above, not much weight allowance with full fuel. Of course it was intended as an inexpensive trainer, not a travel machine, so that's not much of a problem.

The bigger problem was when you had a 200+ lb instructor and an equally large student -- then you had to leave off fuel, and to be careful how much you topped it off.

In point of fact, few light singles can fill the seats, add a bit of baggage AND carry full fuel. There are usually tradeoffs. Even with many light twins you have to watch your load (that should be calculated as a matter of course, anyway).
    Last edited by lnuss; 11-08-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    Actually, there is room behind the seats for a small amount of baggage (couple of suitcases, etc.) but, as mentioned above, not much weight allowance with full fuel. Of course it was intended as an inexpensive trainer, not a travel machine, so that's not much of a problem.

The bigger problem was when you had a 200+ lb instructor and an equally large student -- then you had to leave off fuel, and to be careful how much you topped it off.

In point of fact, few light singles can fill the seats, add a bit of baggage AND carry full fuel. There are usually tradeoffs. Even with many light twins you have to watch your load (that should be calculated as a matter of course, anyway).
    Well said Larry! And looking at accident reports including one here in Ky., weight and balance certainly should be stressed more than they are in training.

A new pilot was so proud of his license he took three (3) of his buds up for a flight in a 152. He barely cleared some trees about a mile from the airport on takeoff.

Then stalled on final when he dropped his flaps as he would have when flying with his instructor. The flight resulted in one dead and three injured. And considering he was over a flat and treeless golf course at the time, it could easily have been four dead on many airport final approaches. Approaching SDF he'd might have crashed onto a heavily traveled Interstate Highway!
    Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

That wasn't just weight and balance -- it was stupidity, and I don't think you can blame that on lack of training. Some people think they live a charmed life ("It can't happen to me"). They were fortunate that only one died.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    That wasn't just weight and balance -- it was stupidity, and I don't think you can blame that on lack of training. Some people think they live a charmed life ("It can't happen to me"). They were fortunate that only one died.
    I agree with the comment that stupidity was involved. And I truly agree it could have been much worse!!
    Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by oneleg View Post
    hahahahahahaha welcome to the C152. that 1600lb gross weight sneaks up on ya pretty quickly I got my Private in a 150 (152 with 10 less hp) and with one of the CFI's I flew with I could only take 13 gallons of fuel. about an hrs worth plus reserves. got checked out in the 172 shortly after with a MTOW of 2400lbs and now fly the 172S with G1000 which have the 180hp lycoming and a MTOW of 2550lbs. goes a bit further but is still a "3 person plus bags" airplane if you want to travel anywhere.

So how does one look for a top wing, that has a range of 500+ miles, has 400 lbs weight for pilot and co-pilot, full fuel, and 200 lbs of cargo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast