Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Instrument Landings (ILS)

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    That gauge ^^ is a fantastic addon to any plane.
    I've used it on a number of planes, and I love it. I strongly suggest, especially for doing IFR recoveries, that you utilize it!

Have fun with it. it rocks!
    Pat☺
    Pat - That's what you need flying into Kingsley RWY 32. Such a nice airport, but the approach can be testy coming in from the south!

Rick

Yeah, it is. I've looked over the approach plates for Kingsley. Definately can be interesting. Hard altitudes, specific speeds...

I've seen that before, too. MCAS Yuma has the same kind of stuff, for it's military approaches. MCAS has nukes aboard, though, and a LAAMBn (Light Anti Aircraft Missile Battalion) battery. I have never seen them fire off a missile, but they're there to help defend the base.

It's funny, too. They're located downrange for the base's rifle range, and during the training for the guards of the areas where the weapon bunkers are, they often get a little excitable, and fire their weapons full auto. They wanna be bad-a$$es, so they forget everything we teach them and fire their full magazines from the hip. No control. Sadly, their muzzles invariably climb, and some of their rounds go over the berm in the butts. And guess just exactly where they land...yep, 2ND LAAMBn. Their buildings are full of patched up holes.
    The coaches scream and yell at the shooters, 2ND LAAMBn screams and yells at the base CO, he screams and yells at the base SgtMaj, he screams and yells at the Station Training CO, HE screams and yells at the guys that fired the rounds, and us for letting them. About once a month, lots of screaming and yelling. ANYwho...

I haven't seen any evidence of a LAAMBn here, or the Air Force equivalent, or bunkers for "special" weapons, but the runway is long enough, and has a high enough weight rating, they COULD either have special weapons aboard, or be able to accept transports that could carry them in.

Lots to think about. We ARE the only F-15 training base the AF has, too. From what I've seen, it wouldn't take much to make the planes fully mission capable.

Anywho, I ramble, sorry. Have fun all!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

3. Default

Is the six miles on the plate from your airplane to the runway or six ground miles--nautical or statute?
    i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust,Samsung 40" 4K UHD TV & 24" HP side monitor,Saitek pedals, Instrument Panel, trim wheel, CH Eclipse Yoke,FSX Steam,Windows 10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
    Is the six miles on the plate from your airplane to the runway or six ground miles--nautical or statute?
    Okay, Jim, I'll try to say this the best I can. 6 miles, it would be the miles you would have to walk to the runway from the point in the landing that it feels like the bottom has dropped out from under your aircraft seat, and according to the plate (see attached) it says nautical miles. Also, see where I have circled, this all adds up to 6 miles! I guess you can call that 6 nautical ground miles!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skyvector2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	219236

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 05-26-2020 at 03:48 PM.

I had the same problem, then one day after another failure, the light bulb went on. I realized I was approaching too high. I began paying more attention to the charts I use and realized I should be at 1600 or 2100 or 1300, depending on the airport. I began paying more attention to this point, and it all began to click. Haven't had a bad landing since.

Quote Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
    I had the same problem, then one day after another failure, the light bulb went on. I realized I was approaching too high. I began paying more attention to the charts I use and realized I should be at 1600 or 2100 or 1300, depending on the airport. I began paying more attention to this point, and it all began to click. Haven't had a bad landing since.
    Ron - I think it's been that way for all of us. Once we got it, it comes so simple! I kept hearing, "you have to approach from below the glide scope!" Once you realize you have been approaching all too high in the past, everything seemed to click! Yes, you got to check the charts, there is no "one size fits all!"

Thanks Ron! - Rick

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Well, since the aircraft picks up the localizdr and makes the turn towards the runway, that's a good sign. Now, are the pink triangles in the PFD, indicating that you also have a glideslope present? No pink triangles equals no automatic descent towards the runway.

Pink? Son, I may be colorblind but I believe those are magenta.

Did I mention I was colorblind? LOL

And I'd call those needles, not triangles. "Align the needles center line and guide her on in."
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 05-28-2020 at 02:36 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

8. Default

OP, I didn't read the whole thread, but it sounds like you need to do several circuits at your favorite and familiar airport doing ILS touch and go's. Soon enough you'll have it down pat.

I'm not a professional pilot by any means, but my personal rule of thumb in the Sim is to be 1,800' AGL of the local airport elevation (surrounding terrain given) before I hit the OM on approach. If you're at least 1,800' AGL from the runway on approach you should be able to catch the glideslope each and every single time. Now granted with some airports and where they're at this is not possible due to terrain. But for me it's a general rule of thumb that I follow without the use of an approach plate. And I've been to more countries than I can count up to and including no man's land Mongolia and never once crashed. Only when I'm goofing around.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 05-28-2020 at 02:45 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2