FSX Acceleration

You can probably only get Acceleration if you buy a complete FSX Gold, which I saw advertised here from the FSPilotshop earlier today, I do not believe you can buy Acceleration as a standalone.

But it will most certainly be cheap...., er, have a better cost/benefit ratio if you buy SE.

Jorgen

There are several at the moment on eBay - search "FSX Acceleration"

I would NOT get one that has been opened since it probably has been installed several times and you may not be able to activate it.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I believe you will need to remove SP2 as Acceleration includes it. You may get away with installing over top of your current install, however, it may reset or change settings in the fsx.cfg file and overwrite files in the FSX directory. At the very least make sure you have a current backup of your fsx.cfg file and FSX install.

Better still, get FSX Steam Edition (a real bargain in the frequent Steam sales) which is effectively an updated version of FSX Gold which includes Acceleration.

And you can install along your current FSX boxed version as a standalone sim

And, if you feel upto tinkering with a few things, you can also make use of most of your freeware addon scenery that you have already installed into the boxed version without the need to copy the scenery files into FSX-SE. The only exception are those sceneries that have additional files over the standard scenery/texture files - i.e any scenery that requires you add additional files into areas such as Scenery\World\Scenery or the effects folder etc. Such files will need to be indentified and a copy of it placed in the appropriate folders.....

Regards

Brian

I just won't bother with this then. I don't want to muck up my current install. And I don't do steam.

I don't understand this. At $25. Steam is a best buy, and you are not going to screw up anything. Steam has got it all. It stands on your desktop along with your old Sim's icon, you can select whichever one that you choose, and it's not going to hurt anything. They will be completely isolated from each other, and "tinkering" with one is not going to change the other. Take the plunge ...... Go Steam ! You'll be glad that you did.

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

I'm with GBJim. I have FSX:SE running alongside FSX Acceleration on a laptop, and FSX:SE alone on my primary desktop. The Steam versions have been virtually flawless and hassle-free for several years now.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I installed the Acceleration disk right after installing FSX Deluxe. So I wouldn't know what would happen to a "established" FSX installation with scenery and add-on aircraft and such. The Acceleration disk is pretty smart though as far as informing you if you need to uninstall any Service Packs you may have installed (Might even do it by itself). I would clone your hard disks just in case something were to go wrong.

I didn't do Steam either until I got Half-life 2 and was reluctantly forced to get it (Now have over 30 Steam Powered games), but I won't buy FSX SE. My FSX Gold and FSX Deluxe+Acceleration boxed sets are sacred!

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

If I buy Gold, is there an Acceleration.exe on the disk I can install to my current install?

I actually wouldn't mind owning Gold.

Aaron - Gold boxed is basically the Deluxe FSX (2 disks) and the additional Acceleration disk. If you have the Deluxe now, all you need is to purchase the Acceleration disk. Like dogdish said in his previous post, they have them on Ebay where you can just purchase the one disk. A Gold boxed edition with the 3 disks in good to excellent condition will probably cost you dearly. When I bought mine on Ebay, used in excellent condition for $65. Being successful on bidding a Gold wasn't happening for me, so I just got fed up and did the "Buy it Now" with free shipping. $65. Up to you! I would save your money for an ice cream cone or two, and just get the Acceleration disk!

Rick :cool:

Aaron - Here's a listing for brand new Gold, says the acceleration disk has some minor scuffs, but they say they guarantee to work or free shipping return and money back. $29 free shipping. Pics show the 2 other disks, looks like a film over the disks, but you could always verify with the seller. No booklet, but i have never used the one i have. Go on Ebay and check what's out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X-Gold-Edition-PC-CD-ROM-Windows-w-Product-Keys-2008/153106068137?hash=item23a5d532a9%3Ag%3AsfIAAOSwiLlbUJSS&_sacat=139973&_nkw=Microsoft+Flight+Simulator+x+acceleration+disk&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Aaron - Forget this one above. Here is another, $29.99 + $5.14 shipping, like new, no issues indicated, booklets. You'd just need to verify 3 disks are in the set and there is product codes (s) enclosed. The first one might have worked, but, for the extra $6, i would take a hard look at this second one. Again, up to you if you want the Gold set.

GBJim just went with the Steam, and he sounds VERY PLEASED with the Steam he went with. I have no issues with my boxed set, maybe if it starts giving me issues, then I will have to make some decisions again!

Good luck! Rick :cool:

I believe so, and that's a great price, these days.

I would double and triple check it comes with the activation, code, otherwise, it's nothing more than a nifty rear-view mirror decoration.

That's the disadvantage to buying used discs for nearly any requiring a code. If the seller has lost it, or kept it to re-activate on his own system, you just payed way to much for a nice shiny piece of art. Like the AOL discs they used to send out all the time...

That's why FSX:SE has become so popular. You can get it on sale dirt cheap, no discs are involved, and your activation codes are yours alone.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I first bought FSX Deluxe off the shelf @ Best Buy when it first came out. Then got Acceleration also @ Best Buy when it came out.

Later, was wandering around Fry's Electronics one day and saw FSX Gold and thinking it was something special, had to have it. When the box is opened, the 2 FSX Deluxe disks are on the left, and the Acceleration disk is on the right. Each has their own separate install codes. As mentioned, Gold is identical to FSX Deluxe+Acceleration, right down to the game version numbers.

So yes, you could get Gold and just install the separate Acceleration disk to your current FSX install.

Aaron - The Ebay listing you just quoted was for the original one i found, the one that the acceleration disk had "minor scuff" issues. I found the second listing "like new" for $6 more. I think either one would work just fine, but if it were me purchasing, i would lean toward Post #19, if the seller can verify all 3 disk are there and he/she has the product keys for both deluxe and acceleration disk. It also looks like all associated booklets and reference are included.

JMHO Aaron. $6 is $6 I know. The 1st listing has an issue, but seller guarantees it to work, 2nd listing is without any known issues, but will cost you $6 more!

Just as an FYI, I purchased "Gold" and have never installed the acceleration disk. I had a perfectly good running PC that handled the Deluxe installation quite well and I was happy with that. I would have liked to have tried the Acceleration disk, but had reservations about adding the one additional disk, and taking the chance on my computer not being able to handle it. ie, the computer rejecting the entire install. Like dogdish says, my 3 disks are also "sacred". Maybe when i upgrade my computer next time i will be able to install all 3 disks. For now, I am satisfied with what I have and use!

Good luck, Aaron, time to make a decision! - Rick :cool:

I have Gold and each time I install it on a new machine I also install the Acceleration disc. Not a problem ever to date.

Acceleration has several advantages. I'd heartily recommend that anyone who has an Acceleration disk, install it!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Just as an FYI, I purchased "Gold" and have never installed the acceleration disk. I had a perfectly good running PC that handled the Deluxe installation quite well and I was happy with that. I would have liked to have tried the Acceleration disk, but had reservations about adding the one additional disk, and taking the chance on my computer not being able to handle it. ie, the computer rejecting the entire install. Maybe when i upgrade my computer next time i will be able to install all 3 disks. For now, I am satisfied with what I have and use! - Rick :cool:

Sounds like somebody here would be a good candidate (guinea pig*) to answer the whole "what happens to your FSX install when Acceleration is added" question :D

*guin·ea pig ˈɡinē ˌpiɡ/ noun - a person or thing used as a subject for experiment.

Just kidding :)

dogdish - I think Aaron has a high end computer that will probably handle most anything that is thrown at it.

My computer, on the otherhand, is only an i5 processor with only 3.2 Ghz speed, just on the border line of being able to run FSX adequately. Adding the acceleration disk to it, I think I would be pushing it too far! I could be wrong!

Looking at your computer specs, you are good to go also! Maybe next purchase I might be able to tell you guys, I have stepped up! :rolleyes: But, not today!

Rick :cool:

Archived