Windows 10 and FS2004 Discussion.

GFD150

Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???

mcrcat.... pleasure. I also went thru this sometime ago & just had to think where I found the answer. Have fun.

allanmerry....

You do know that Bill Gates has left Microsoft sometime ago?

I'm also very happy that you are still running obsolete unsupported software.

No, Mr Gates certainly does not need your money, & you do now that the latest software is free for most of us that have updated our OS's?

No, it does not seem that software is going the 'rental' route at all, & do not know what has to be connected to the internet to be used. (apart from web browsers, that is!)

I quite like the fact that with the new OS', we get auto updated. In the past, with older OS's we normally accepted updates without question. Now it is done for us automatically, so we always will have the latest.

Yes, I do have fun with my 3 versions of FS9 (in Windows 10), thanks to all those freeware developers out there.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gypsymoth my personal opinion is don't change ! The assistance received from windows 10 is minimal and usually directs you to earlier system cures which you cannot apply, you will see there are several posts which i think underline that there is a compatibility issue and nobody has come up with a magic wand to fix it . I think much of[ the change to 10 has been for the sake of change. All your old things are still in there bit have been moved around and re categorized, and until you adopt the mind set of the guy who dreamt up this new look it's a problem to find things. For example settings are now separate and no longer in the control panel, why? It was easier to remember when everything was in the one place. Quote=gypsymoth;1944176]i was thinking of going from w7 to 10 so thanks for all the info.

I have 2 machines with 3 drives & dedicate one drive for fs9 & the other for storage.

With the one with just one drive © i have fs9 in a folder marked fs9. They all work well.

********************************************************************************

Exactly !! Agree !

and I can show a whole bunch more Posts on this very subject from Advanced Flight Simmers who encountered problems with Windows 10, from 2 other Flight Sim web sites !!

Some of those who are encouraging others to go ahead and update to windows 10, are "Basic Flight Sim users", and have minimal additional Hardware & software installed, other than maybe a Joystick, if that ,,,,,

Those Advanced Hardcore Flight Simulator pilots with All the Saitek Flight Yokes, and Saitek Rudder Peddles, & Throttle Quadrants and TRACK IR, etc, will tell ya to be carefull !!

and its NOT as simple as just updating the drivers for X Hardware, since some updated drivers are not yet available or possibly won't be .

I've learned in 14 years,, theres 3 kinds of Flight Simmers out there :

1 - the Generic / Basic Simmer who only has Flight Sim installed and no additional hardware or software

2 - the intermediate slightly more advanced who has some additional Add On's, a Joystick or Flight Yoke and spends anywhere from 10 hrs a week to 20 flying online etc.

3 - The "Extreme Hard core" :),, Flight Simmer who'll have All the flight Hardware and quite a bit of additional software add on's, spends 20 to 40 hrs a week or more flying ,painting aircraft, creating scenery attending Flight Sim events , and making Flight Sim Videos for their own YOU TUBE channel.

Personally, I'll take the advice from the older seasoned Hardcore Flight Sim Veterans 1st , since they'll be the ones to really get into the know and are more than knowledgeable with computers, Hardware , software etc.

I've heard instances that after some users upgraded to windows 10, some of the Additional Hardware wasn't recognized and wouldn't properly work afterwards as well as some other additional Add On software, and its just very annoying to try to figure out the issues , not like any of it is a simple 15 minute fix, and Presto' your up and running again.

I like the advice from those who, just say, to unload Flight Simulator and reload it again, refer to the above simmer category on that one !! :)

Theres sum out there that just have a piper cub and then theres those with way more "Advanced complicated system set ups" and its no walk in the park, to have to go thru the tedious process of re-doing, re-uploading and configuring everything again, as Johnny Junior makes it sound !

What took little Junior a whopping 15 to 20 minutes to re-configure his entire "Basic / Generic" set up, won't be the case for the seasoned Advanced Flight Simmer with all that additional hardware & software for their Homebuilt Boeing / Airbus Cockpit Simulator !!

Moral of the story is : becarefull of the advice your givin and take into consideration their set up, won't be as Advanced or technically sophisticated as the other persons set up.

What may take them no time at all, it may take the more Advanced Flight Simmer with all the Additional Hardware & Software, several hours, Days or weeks to get everything back in Sync and configured correctly & properly working again.

Theres piper cubs, and then theres Boeing 777's or Airbus 380's, which one do ya think takes longer to Fuel ?????

"Those Advanced Hardcore Flight Simulator pilots with All the Saitek Flight Yokes, and Saitek Rudder Peddles, & Throttle Quadrants and TRACK IR, etc, will tell ya to be carefull !!

Interesting, so THAT makes you an Advanced Hardcore Flight Simulator pilot??

I think not, & that is extremely elitist!!.

An Advanced Hardcore Flight Simulator pilot can also be flying a Cessna, with C-H Products Yoke & pedals or even just a joystick, or a Cub! Using real procedures, maps et al can make a single prop flyer just as an Advanced Hardcore Flight Simulator pilot than a guy flying tubes.

Oh, you also do not need a home-built sim to be regarded as being hard core.

We have built up 2x simulators at our VA, using FS9 with Windows 10! Both are twin seaters. FS9 is perfect, as non of the other sims have our local scenery & aircraft models.

We just regard ourselves as simmers, even though so-called advanced procedures are being used. We know that we have reached the 'sweet spot' when real pilots bump themselves in their seats, anticipating a touch down. So, in our case, immersion beats realism, even though our aircraft models are a fast military trainer jet & a 4 prop recon aircraft.

So, far too many urban legends & claims out there.. Oh, we have also installed the sims into their default directory as well. Never a days problem or issue.

So, taking days & weeks to reset everything does not make you into an advanced simmer....

Passion does!!

Oh,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Folks,

Just a specific observation - if you use RXP or Dreamfleet (which uses RXP) - - - the RXP "drop down" view gauges seem to be causing some havoc on Win10 - they throw error messages when loading the aircraft - seems to lag the load time - then just display black boxes when/if the plane finally loads... My plan is to remove them all from the panels unless someone has a fix...

I'm getting crashes of FS9 quite a bit as well - especially when I [Alt/Tab] out to start something like Radar Contact - it just hangs when I try to get back into FS9 - never to return...

It definitely is not "problem free" for me... Whether I can get passed all these issues remains to be seen...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Folks,

Just a specific observation - if you use RXP or Dreamfleet (which uses RXP) - - - the RXP "drop down" view gauges seem to be causing some havoc on Win10 - they throw error messages when loading the aircraft - seems to lag the load time - then just display black boxes when/if the plane finally loads... My plan is to remove them all from the panels unless someone has a fix...

I found the RXP gauges to be a complete pain in the butt. Their Garmin 530 has a totally out of date and non-updateable database and the Garmin Trainer takes up 25% of processor time constantly. I have tried every trick known to mankind to get rid of the pesky thing without any success but plenty of error messages and crashes. I even tried just removing the RXP gauges from the panels but that made no difference whatsoever.

And I'm using WIndows 7 and not 10 :rolleyes:

Dijvid

Hi Dijvid,

Hah - thanks for the response - I may have to create a dual boot system or something - not sure of the logistics now that I have Win10 - I'm sure I'm passed the rollback date....

As far as RXP goes - it's the only game in FS9 town that will allow you to legally fly a WAAS approach - providing vertical guidance on a GPS Approach... While not super convenient for most and probably not approved by RXP - you can upgrade the databases if you happen to have a real world subscription to the data from Garmin... Probably too expensive for MSFS but an added perk if you already subscribe... Seems that RXP is content to rest on their laurels - much to my chagrin - haven't heard a peep about anything new in years....

OBTW - I think you need to have the WAAS units based on the new GNS trainer to run on 64 bit OS - if not - that may be the source of your issues...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hi Dijvid,

OBTW - I think you need to have the WAAS units based on the new GNS trainer to run on 64 bit OS - if not - that may be the source of your issues...

Thanks for the tip, Scott, but I'm on 32 bit and not 64 :D or :( depending on your view!

Dijvid

Mine is OK, but it took some tweaking. Had to make sure that the resolution was correct, or it wouldn't load. Works fine but some things will not seem to work in fullscreen view. (For example, maps, kneeboard.) But with just a little switching using ALT-ENTER everything OK, with this minor work-around.

Hello friends :)

So... I recently made the switch to Windows10 Pro as promised before Christmas holidays (clean install from a 64-bit ISO file, downloaded/burned to a DVD). Everything was absolutely amazing and I loved it. The new OS is lightning fast compared to Windows7 Pro in many cases, especially the OS install, and it all seems really nice... mostly. I immediately turned OFF several things to keep resources free. THE single biggest thing I do not like:mad: is not being able to choose my Windows updates - Windows10 seems to have complete control over what gets installed in the updates, and I cannot see what is being installed. I guess for some this is acceptable, but not for me. I like to know exactly what is going into my system. :rolleyes:

After the fresh format and new installation of Windows10 Pro, I began re-installing all of my FS9 and FSX stuff using 'Nick's FSX Bible Guide' in the SimForums> http://www.simforums.com/forums/hardware-software-and-computer-technology_forum29.html. The FSX BIBLE guidelines seem to work perfectly for both FSX and FS9 sims when using a modern quad-core CPU or higher spec computers.:cool: Even though it's written for Intel-based systems, I have easily adapted it for use with my AMD Phenom IIx4 965 Black CPU system needs. Everything was working great until my old C:\drive containing the new Windows10 suddenly died. I ordered a new HDD from Amazon.com, determined to fly again ASAP. Then... I discovered something called a 'Dual-Boot' system in another thread concerning Windows7 and Windows10. I've heard of this before, but didn't know how to begin creating one. The instructions are here> http://www.simforums.com/forums/nicks-guide-and-win-10-update_topic54162.html. Thank you so much Nick!

This all being said, I have discovered something else interesting about installing Windows10 on a computer... even if you create a 'Dual-Boot' computer OS system, keeping all of your FS2004 software completely and happily located on a friendly copy of Windows7 in the Dual-Boot layout, Windows10 will install an update in the course of it's setup process which will render your FS9.exe completely useless. Mine would not start up. I foolishly spent hours trying to figure it out before I remembered that Microsoft had decided with the introduction of Windows10 not to run older CD-DRM games such as FS2004. I know - I know - it is frowned upon in this website Forum Policy, but if you are going to run FS2004 on a computer where a copy of Windows10 has been installed (even if located on a separate drive) you WILL need to do the following steps. Period.

To get around this, you will need to make a complete (full) install FS2004 to a separate folder OUTSIDE of the default Microsoft Program Files location (which is recommended anyways), reboot. Install the FS2004 9.1 Update, reboot. Then you will need to employee a specific method of getting around the need for the FS2004 #4 CD. A web search for this will render the desired results. Be sure the file chosen is for the FS2004 9.1 updated version. Replace the original FS9.exe (renaming the old file to something like 'fs9.original') in your main FS2004 folder with the new FS9.exe file. Reboot.

You should now have full access to running FS2004 perfectly in Windows7 AND in Windows10. :) I just did all of this, and mine is once again working perfectly. Now on to installing all of the remaining FS items so I can get back to enjoying what I love most... Flying!

:cool: Have a great day. ~Glenn

PS: Also, if you are using an NVidia graphics card, you should follow the easy instructions on Nick's link for Graphics. It works perfectly, and my videocard graphics look better than ever before! Thank you Nick! Works for both FS9 and FSX. http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

THE single biggest thing I do not like:mad: is not being able to choose my Windows updates - Windows10 seems to have complete control over what gets installed in the updates, and I cannot see what is being installed. I guess for some this is acceptable, but not for me. I like to know exactly what is going into my system. :rolleyes:

Which is why I will NOT go to Windows 10 even when support for Windows 7 ends in 2010. If an update screws something up then who is going to sort it out - Microsoft, the developer, Father Christmas ....????

If I could get a new OEM copy of XP including SP3 which would give support for PCI Express then I would gladly buy and install it in place of Windows 7, but I just don't seem to be able to source this [i'm in the UK]

Dijvid

If I could get a new OEM copy of XP including SP3 which would give support for PCI Express then I would gladly buy and install it in place of Windows 7, but I just don't seem to be able to source this [i'm in the UK]

That would be illegal. XP ones are only for individual users with new machines. Subsequent versions are not for individuals at all.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Hi, all!

For years now I ran my– at least to my mind - perfectly tuned FS9 on Windows7/64bit. Outcome of a decade of work with our good old flight sim, which I’ll never give up. Hundreds of aircrafts, heaps of payware, a carefully trimmed scenery.cfg counting down to nearly 1700. I spent uncountable hours on this hobby.

Sure, I was curious about Windows 10, and after completing the highly advisable provisions in form of several full backups, I risked the change to Windows10 Pro/64bit via upgrading the running Windows7 (with regard to my hundreds of payware addons I did not choose a clean install).

Now, all I can say is, that from my point of view Microsoft did a remarkable job. I was fully satisfied with Windows7. But – I never would have guessed that – Windows10 runs even better. My system runs faster now, although it was never slow . All devices (even the equipment from Saitek) run fine and at once. Surely the design is a matter of individual taste. Personally I can not get used to this horrible Metro-Style, but there are some ways leading to a more classy Start Menu. Thus, concerning the OS, I don’t regret my upgrade. (People at Microsoft usually get a nice scolding, don’t they? Here is a word of praise now!)

In terms of FS9 I am predominantly willing to speak well of Windows10. Despite the fact, that the full screen mode is buggy (as it was already said, pressing Ctrl & Enter will do the trick!) and very few addons that refuse to cooperate, everything in my sim is at least as smooth and fast as it was before. I was pleasantly surprised to find out, that even pieces of software that I knew as highly sensitive, now work without complaints. Namely the high-cost stuff from RealityXP, that randomly has proven to be a real PITA, does what it was bought for.

Out of hundreds of payware items there seem to be losses, though:

Flight1 - ATR 72-500 (boxed)

Flight1 - Dreamfleet 727 (boxed)

Flight1 - PC-12 (boxed)

Aerosoft – Mega Airport Düsseldorf (boxed)

Dreamfleet Dakota

I tried to reinstall those items, but to no avail. There might be interferences with the publishers DRM. I simply don’t know. If you have the clue, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

But those “losses” can be counted on the fingers of one hand. The vast majority (including every freeware I own) is still alive and flying. Not really a bad result. And at least there’s still something to fiddle with (often I think this might be what our hobby is all about…).

Best luck to all of you!

Jens

Hello JSMR,

Sorry, if the phrase "buggy" wasn't comprehensible.

If the sim runs in full screen mode, it is not possible for me to get an aircraft preview, when I press ALT and want to change the aircraft. The small preview window remains fully black. Thus I have to press ALT + Enter in order to change to windowed mode every time, make my choices there, change back to full screen and fly. It’s clearly not insufferable, and after I got used to it, even not annoying any more.

Please note that I press ALT + Enter to toggle between the modes, not ctrl + Enter. I was wrong in my first post.

Best regards

Jens

Got FS2004 to run on Windows 10. Went to Compatability, changed to XP-service pack-3. Went to Control Panel and reduced screen resolution. Worked... Some glitches remain, ie: having problems loading add-on aircraft, problems changing cockpit view and camera views. G

Hello JSMR,

Sorry, if the phrase "buggy" wasn't comprehensible.

If the sim runs in full screen mode, it is not possible for me to get an aircraft preview, when I press ALT and want to change the aircraft. The small preview window remains fully black. Thus I have to press ALT + Enter in order to change to windowed mode every time, make my choices there, change back to full screen and fly. It’s clearly not insufferable, and after I got used to it, even not annoying any more.

Please note that I press ALT + Enter to toggle between the modes, not ctrl + Enter. I was wrong in my first post.

Best regards

Jens

Ah ok. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Earlier I said I was getting a black screen in FS2004 after upgrading to Win10. I read the Microsoft site, and they said try setting FULL_SCREEN=0 in the [GRAPHICS] section of the FS9.cfg file. I did this and i no longer get the black screen. The downside is that FS2004 now opens in a smaller window instead of full screen, and you have to expand the window to full screen, but you still get the window bar at the top with the FS2004 menu in it. But it does allow me to play FS2004 now. Here is the Microsoft support link for FS2404 and Win10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/837195

I had FS2004 working in win 10 while it was still in try it mode and a reversal was still an option back to win 7.

Now that it is a permenant win 10 FS 2004 has gone back into hiding and I can't bring it to the front of the black screen. It is running behind.

When you say change the details as above in the CGF file graphics section i cannot find the line to change in any CFG file in my FS2004 folder. My display folder only contains graphic cards and whether thet are off or on, no line as above to change.

Please give me a place to look and try this.

I have had FS2004 running but the tool bar was always present.

CFS 2 also has problems displaying the aircraft window. Any ideas here also. CFS 3 works OK.

No compatible methods work either.

• 1 month later...

Archived