Windows 10 and FS2004 Discussion.

GFD150

Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???

Where can I get the no CG exe or patch? never mind found it.
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was having the same issue. reinstalled WIN 3 times trying the different solutions to the problem until I modified the FS9.CFG setting it to Full Screen as suggested by Microsoft and now my favorite sim works great! I guess 3 times is the charm! Thanks everybody for your suggestions as well.

seanpaul, which one did you use, 9.0 or 9.1?
P3Dv4.5, nothing but Gigs of ORBX, REX 4 TD, REX WW Airports HD, SkyForce 3D, ASP4. I7 8700 CPU Liquid Cooled, 32g 3200 mem, GTX 1080ti on an ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard with Win 10. Goflight GF166A VRP, 2 X RP48, GF-T8. CH Pro Yoke and Pedals.

This is what i found over at Microsoft web site regarding FS .

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/flight-simulator-x-and-2004-windows-10-build-10159/33fc69e9-398b-4380-8551-16dfbcfce37c

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/win-10-fsx-acceleration-compatibility/72433446-40b3-4bf7-9920-9e4cb4cd53bd?auth=1

i , UPGRADED to 10 a couple of weeks ago , wile win 10 it self looks good , it sucks with my FS9 , nothing but problems , so i rolled it back to win7 , and worked just fine as it did before the upgrade . I will be waiting a few months for bugs to be fixed for FS , if any , before i upgrade again .

"Pilots do it with Thrust"

The chances that Microsoft will Update W10 to make FS9 more functional will be few; in their eyes, FS9 is obsolete Software, and is no longer supported.

Stick with your current OS, whether it's XP, 7, or 8.1 to use FS9. If you really need the features W10 offers, a different rig may be in order.

Just an FYI... as with David's post (#29), the Management frowns greatly when this issue is discussed, so tread lightly and pick your words with care...

Alan :p

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Never mind, Getting a new rig with 8.1 so this will not be an issue.

dog4zero,

The FS9.1 Update was put out by Microsoft years ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9727

If you want to go the route davidjones went, you'll need to install this Update 1st.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Win 7 was the last verson to support 8bit bmp which where used in the first microsoft FS 's releasted and are still widly used in FS9 which is why the roads rail and coasts are rendered poorerly in 9, FSX does not use 8bit at all. Given that win 8 and8.1 did not support the old 8bit format then neither will win 10 unless you have a copy of window that supports a full XP compatability mode. and then from my experience it still doesn’t work idealy there still seems to be missing codex's, my advice is dont go there. Win 7 defiantly runs FS9 fast and clearer than XP. to get things looking better in FS9 and FSX try my X2 tweak found on my web site

The Natural World 2015 Software (no other software goes futher)

Full FS2004 graphics upgrade

Howards Mix : (updated & Rebranded)

web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Hi had a PC with windows 8.1 with installed MS FS9 and FSX with accelerator and then when MS released windows 10 officially I tried to update to it . At first I have had a lot of failed attempts to update, but at last W10 have had success to install. All my formerly installed programs continue to works well after the W10 installation and also FS9 and FSX works without no problem at all. To avoid problems with the UAC I installed FS9 and FSX outside the default Program File folder that is C:\Flight Simulator 9 and C:\FSX folder.

Maybe that I've been lucky but this is my witness about WINDOWS 10.

upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1 and all seemed well for a week, then the computer crashed and could not recover anything. Had to go in to a computer repairer who reinstalled 8.1 ( for big bucks). I will not be upgrading again

I am getting same issue, even tried uninstall reinstall of FS2004 but that still has same result, after a google search I have found this issue is not only affecting FS2004 but all their suggestions have still not worked, tried to restore back to windows 7 but the restore points have all gone ... if anyone can help so I can continue my flights I would be very appreciative!

I have the same problem. I downloaded the free win 10 and now FS2004 is not working properly.

It starts up but hides behind a black screen. Youy can seeit when you start task manager by clicking in and out of the task manager.

When I get FS2004 started by guessing where the flynow button is it works.

Even the aircratf are not visible in the select window.

There is an option in the win 10 settings if you select the new notification icon at bottom left of windows a pop out menu appears, click on all settings and select update and security. You will find a menu and in recovery is an option to revert back to win 7. This option is only available for 1 month. I don't know which win 7 it will return to. I had ultimate on my machine. I might go for this if issues are not resolved.

I upgraded to 10 and FS2004 stopped working. However I like Win 10 and I´ve been an early adopter for decades, so I´ll install three OS in my machine: XP for FS2004, Win 7 just in case and Win 10. So one of them will work. It was working fine with Win 7.

I am running on Win7. Security updates to this operating system two days ago created the same problem as experienced on Win10. I deleted all the latest security updates and now FS2004 runs fine....not a great advert for Win10....but looks like Microsoft are installing it by stealth.

:D Hello my friends,

I want to say first... I have not yet made the switch to Windows10 myself. However, I have everything here in order, and ready-to-go once I decide to actually do it. I'm not in a hurry to jump over just yet, because I am watching to see what (if anything) changes in the first 3 months of Windows10 in terms of support issues, patches, etc. That said, these are some things I have discovered through researching into the issue of FS2004 not working properly in Windows10. As I understand things right now on various FS Forums, folks say FS2004 will work... but there are some requirements that must be met first.

Another note before we get into the requirements>>

If upgrading to Windows10, it seems best at least for most FS enthusiasts to do a full, CLEAN install of the new OS. (Not the automatic Microsoft upgrade.)

Go to this

age> and download the Media Creation Tool that matches the desired Windows10 version you need, or your system will support. (ie: 32-bit/64-bit) Follow the directions carefully to download the proper Windows10 ISO file and the additional tools needed to make a working installer copy of the ISO file (ie: DVD or USB).

Remember to backup any files you need to save on your computer before your begin formatting your HDD, and installing the new Windows10 OS.

I highly recommend reading these two FSX-related links below entirely before installing your flight sim. Then adjust the directions as needed for your FS9 installation, keeping within the guidelines as much as possible. I followed these rules carefully during my recent re-installation of both FS9 and FSX-Deluxe Gold Edition simulators in my Windows7 64-bit OS. Both worked flawlessly!

Complete install guide to FSX setup (works for FS9 too!!!)

Complete tweaking guide to NVidia graphics setup

After installing Windows10 (REBOOT)

Any additional Microsoft updates (REBOOT)

Install all other software (MSOffice, PhotoShop, Mozzila FireFox, antivirus, etc.) you might need/use daily on your computer other than Flight Simulator. Remember to restart your OS system after the installation of each product.

Install all patches or updates for these software programs. (reboot)

For those persons who might want to know more about the Privacy concerns of Windows10, and how-to correct them easily, read this

Once everything is working smoothly following the examples outlined in Nick's FSX Bible link above, it's time to install FS2004.

Install FS2004 "outside" ... DO NOT use the default path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games folder method.

(I) personally create a folder sub-structure that resembles this method:

drive letter:\MSFS\FS9 ...

drive letter:\ADDFS9 ...

After install, start FS9. Do not tweak any settings on any FS9 tab. LOAD FS9 freeflight completely.

(reboot)

Download the 9.1 Update Patch for FS2004 and install it.

LOAD FS9 freeflight completely.

(reboot)

Download the FS9 9.1 Update "No-CD Crack"

Yes, I know it is not a legal file, but Microsoft has long since forgotten FS9, and IF you want to run FS9 in Windows10, you will have to download the file. No exceptions.

Install it as directed. LOAD FS9 freeflight completely using the new "no CD" method. Love it!!!

(reboot)

IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

Make a copy of your FS9.cfg file now and save it. Do not skip this step.

Install your terrain mesh files.

Start FS9. Load flight. Reboot.

Install additional add-on textures/software as desired such as FS9 EVO, Ground Environment Pro, REX, etc.

Start FS9, loading a flight after each new product installation. Reboot each time.

Install weather software as needed. Again, loading FS9 flight. Reboot.

Install add-on scenery and/or aircraft as desired, following directions for each. (reboot after each install)

Get yourself a good defrag program. I use Ultimate DeFrag software from Disktrix. Follow the guidelines. Use the Folder/File Name selection. It's a great defrag tool!

Using the Graphics card tweaking guide above, carefully make the desired adjustments to your video card settings and to the FS9 Display settings. Follow Nick's directions - They work! (reboot)

You should be good-to-go at this point. These are the methods I will employ when I make the jump to Windows10 in the next few months.

Happy Flights! :) ~Glenn

2021 Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6GB GDDR6, 500GB and 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD, 144MHZ 1920×1080P 300Nits ISP screen,

Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS, (2nd Display) Dell 24" UltraSharp 1920x1200 TTF Monitor, CHProducts FlightYoke & RudderPedals, Logitech 3D Pro Extreme joystick

I am using win10 with FSX. I had problems at first but got them all fixed. It runs very good and haven't had an issue with it so far. I have no I sea about FS2004 but I believe it shouldn't be a. Issue. You ca. Always roll back to your previous OS if it doesn't work out.

Windows 10 didn't work for me. So, I rolled back to Windows 7 and I am back in the air. I did note though that when I chose to roll back I was advised that roll back to Windows 7 is only available for 30 days after initial upgrade to Windows 10. Thought I would pass this on.

This has been my main issue with FS2004 since WIN 10 came out. I have tried installing on a separate drive and a pop up says I need administrator priviledges to run. But I am running as an admin and also installed it as an administrator. I did reinstall on the main hard drive but without thinking about it, I click install before I even realized that to run set up outside the main root. So, im still having the same pop up appear. I will reinstall, not today, but tomorrow and see what happens. :_ here is to hoping.

Well hard drives are very cheap now-a-days. Has anyone here thought about a Dual-Boot scenario? Have one drive solely for FSX and/or FS2004 keeping purely for Flight Simming. this way you can enjoy Win 10 and FS. I am going to give this a whirl this weekend. Perhaps I'll get a 120 gig SSD with 3.5 adapter brackets and see if thie speed of SSD may speed up FS.

Just my Two Cents (before taxes)

Out with the old in with the new. All your programs from 15-20 years ago are not going to be able to run forever. Sometimes you actually need to move on.

Not yet, JS! It ain't New Years Eve for all of us yet!

Official user of Windows XP and FS2004 ....... Certified winner of the software combo of the "teens" award ..... you have my word on it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived