GFD150

Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

New laptop with Windows 10. Installed FS2004 (outside default directory). Double click on the icon, nothing happens. Tried with compatibility modes, will not work. Solutions?

Z

In Windows 10, installed directly to default folder, installed 9.1 update, installed cd crack, opened up to a black screen that was quickly fixed by typing alt+enter. Works just like a charm. All the freebie addons I've installed still work just fine too.

Look, I'm not fond of using cracks for programs. But this is a 12+ year old program, and my computer won't run FSX without shutting down, video card probably the issue. However, I've paid for FS9 twice and it's my favorite game. I personally don't see the harm in it as I have no plans to make money or cheat anyone. I simply want FS9 to work as long as I can. I can't afford to buy/build a computer that will play FSX any time soon.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Having just upgraded to Windows 10 just faced the same struggle trying to get FS9 and FSX running. No joy with FSX (can get the menu screen up but it freezes) however after a bit of trial and error have managed to get FS9 running in maxed windowed mode by changing the parameters in the cfg as noted elsewhere. Attempting full screen just gives a black screen with mouse cursor in busy mode, can't get back to desktop or even get Task Manager to display to kill it - required hard reboot.

Did a one hour flight yesterday evening for Delta Virtual in their excellent 757, no issues other than the MFD's weren't displaying correctly, very smooth performance - able to nail a GPS RWY 29 landing at Grand Junction on the button.

So maxed window mode better than nothing but more research needed to get FSX running.

Reading some of the articles on the Microsoft Help pages they don't seem to appreciate how critical this is. FS9 and FSX may be old and unsupported programs but for practical purposes they are still the most contemporary civilian flight sims available (not getting into the politics of Prepar3D). Many users have £/$100's if not £/$1000's invested in add on kit and software to enhance the core game and not willing to write this off. Don't know what it would take to get MS to produce an update patch at least for FSX, assuming there is even anyone left in the organisation with knowledge of the code following the disbanding of Aces Studio.

Vern.

• 2 weeks later...
I have gone down almost every road to get it to work , I tried trouble shooter in windows 10 but the program ( installed ) is not listed and when putting the file name in manually it is not recognised so what else can I do ? I suspect nothing other than to drag out my old computer ( on XP ) every time and use that, I haven't even got a comparability tab to click anywhere! westmoors

I installed Windows 10 a month ago. I got frustrated with it because of issues involving "Read Only" attributes on many folders I use. I went back and had to re-install Windows 7 and everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then Windows 7 did a security update, and then I started getting the same errors as I did in Windows 10. I found out that I had to download the FS9 NO CD patch. Once I put that in, I took out the Disk 4, and everything was working. I got to thinking, maybe that was the same problem with Windows 10. So I did the same thing on the Windows 10 installed FS9. Bingo, that solved the issue. FS9 works ok on Windows 10. Other things was finding out how to take ownership of the FS9 folders so I could change aircraft.cfg files and install new downloaded aircraft. The only thing I'd like to fix is the lack of the aircraft preview when selecting ANY plane. Please let me know if there is something to get that back, please let me know. I am running the Nvidia GTX-750-ti graphics card. OS Windows 10 on an AMD Gigabyte M68M-s motherboard with 8 gig of memory.

Gypsymoth My personal opinion is DON'T change ! The assistance received from Windows 10 is minimal and usually directs you to earlier system cures which you cannot apply, you will see there are several posts which I think underline that there is a compatibility issue and nobody has come up with a magic wand to fix it . I think much of[ the change to 10 has been for the sake of change. All your old things are still in there bit have been moved around and re categorized, and until you adopt the mind set of the guy who dreamt up this new look it's a problem to find things. For example Settings are now separate and no longer in the Control Panel, why? It was easier to remember when everything was in the one place. QUOTE=gypsymoth;1944176]I was thinking of going from W7 to 10 so thanks for all the info.

I have 2 machines with 3 drives & dedicate one drive for FS9 & the other for storage.

With the one with just one drive © I have FS9 in a folder marked FS9. They all work well.

Made the change from Win 7 to Win 10 a couple of weeks ago. I have zero problems with any of my flightsim, trainsim, or any other installed program so far. I do not have the black screen problem because I fly in a maximised window, and I have never ever installed into a default location. The whole upgrade took about 90 minutes and I never had to touch the keyboard or mouse the entire time. One of the easiest upgrades I have ever done.

I even dragged a patched Transport Tycoon Deluxe out of retirement and that worked with no problems.

As for the old control panel, still there, just called settings now.

Installed Win10 twice, once over Win7, and FS9 worked correctly. However I couldn't use FSTflatten as well as iZ3D Driver (anaglyph 3D). Also it seems not to be possible to open several Edge (the new IE) sessions at the same time. So luckly I reinstalled Win7!

all i get is do you want to make changes to your pc from an unknown publisher on the hard drive? iv reinstalled it, tried all the different custom express settings etc, ran in older versions of windows, compatability mode, nothing works, please can someone help in what to do! i miss my FS04

Thank you for all those who state "it's time to move on." If you feel that way, this is not the thread for you, and you should move on to another discussion. I did the W10 upgrade and have the same administrator/access denied issue as everyone. I run both FS9 & FSX. Personally I have hundreds of dollars invested in FS9 add-ons, and have tweaked dozens of files that took hours upon hours to do, so I'm not ready to give those up. Guess I'm going to do a clean install of Win 7 on my Flight Sim rig and leave 10 on my laptop. I do like W10 in general but the inability to run FS9 is a deal breaker...
My $700 Surprisingly kick a*s FSX Build Fall 2018: Core i3-8350K | ASUS H370M/CSM-Plus | ASUS GT1030 Phoenix OC | 8GB G.SKILL DDR4 2400 | 120GB SP M.2 | 750GB Barracuda | Corsair VS460

• 2 weeks later...
Upgraded my W7 i5 4gb laptop to Windows 10 about a month ago. I'm running P3Dv1.4, (no Dx111) FS2004, Golden Wings (a regressed version of FS9) all in their default directories. Then I also copied & pasted from my hard drive, yet another clean version of FS9 into a non default directory. Apart from having to update video drivers & set DXPlay to legacy, I'm getting perfect results with all the sims. No issues at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

What seriously bothers me about Windows 10 and flight simulation is that you have no control over Windows 10 updates. You will just have to accept them as they are released unless, of course, you decide to disconnect from the Internet totally.

Considering what has happened recently regarding Microsoft issuing a Windows 7 update which stopped users who rely on Disk 4 being in their CD drive from using FS2004, users of Windows 10 will never know when a terminal blow might be dealt and which will stop them from using FS2004. If that does happen then there won't be the option of uninstalling that particular update and then hiding it from happening again.

Be wise and stick with Windows 7!!

Dijvid

Personally I cannot see what all the fuss is about. I have taken the step to upgrade to Win 10 and everything that I have which worked using Win 7 continues to work using Win 10, even some really old fossils like Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

I never have installed any games into any suggested default location ever since I started out with Win 3.1. As I have moved through the various flavours of Windows, there have ben programs that no longer worked, but I don't think that flightsim will fall into that category anytime soon. When it does happen, then is the time to move on to something new. Maybe look at the trainsim community for inspiration. Open Rails is a new open source program that is capable of running existing MSTS content. It has taken several years to do, but shows that if there are enough people with the determination anything is possible.

This goes out to all the dedicated FS9 users out there:

Do you honestly believe in the year 2015 that MicroGates is actually going to came after anyone currently using (or contemplating using) the No CD crack. Especially after a particular Win 7 update inhibits FS9 from starting-up, or that the new Win10, currently causing problems, and future updates on that new platform, may cause unforeseen problems.

• 5 weeks later...

I have browsed most of this thread and have my FS2004 working with the default aircraft but am having problems with the first two payware addons I tried installing. They are PMDG 737, and ifly 737. Both are installed in FS2004 which is installed in c:/flightsim9. Both behave in the same manner. The panel is squished in the top half of the screen. The bottom half of the screen just shows black. I attached a pic showing the issue. Thanks in advance!

fs9 problem.jpg

Windows XP still lives at my house, I'm never giving up FSNavigator!

Windows XP for FSX lives in my house on my Desktop, I don't use the tower to go on line, most of my games are in it and videos, and pictures.

My Laptop Windows 7 FS9 with MS stupid KB830255 removed and hidden in MS updates.

rcca

CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

Now this will not help anyone who is trying to install FS9 into Windows10, but I am still running XP with no problems. I also still run MSword97 and video editing software among other stuff which all runs well and does what I want it to. Do I really need to give Mr Gates £n every couple of years to "upgrade" the OS to something which may not work and will almost certainly not run at least some of my software to have facilities which I didn't know that I needed?

It also seems that software is moving towards "rental" rather than purchase, that is you have to be connected to the internet to use it from where the provider can change it (at a price) or dump it. You no longer have any control!

No, I'll stick with XP and FS9 (with all the add-ons) and should XP ever stop working with the internet I shall disconnect from the internet and get my FS weather some other way.

This might work..

"To get rid of the black bar you have to change one line in the panel.cfg.

[Default View]

X=0

Y=0

SIZE_X=8192

//SIZE_Y=5555

SIZE_Y=6143

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I wasted 3 days trying to fix this. It works perfect now! Also it fixed my aircraft preview in the create a flight menu.

Archived