Windows 10 and FS2004 Discussion.

GFD150

Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Does FS2004 Work In Windows 10???

I can't start FS2004 after installing Windows 10. I hope someone can help with good ideas.

Read the following thread - https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!/page10.

Note that the thread is long and refers to a windows update (WU) that caused the underlying problem that caused FS2004 to stop working in W7/8. It is, however, relevant to the same issue in W10. Read the thread to get details on how to resolve the issue BUT ignore any references to the WU mentioned, especially its removal as its not included in W10.

Regards

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the FS in Windows 10 64 (last rebuild) and... doesn´t work. My FS9 works fine in XP Pro 32bit... in 2GB of RAM memory. My PC with XP has "dead" and i reinstalled in a new PC, with 2GB and Win7 64. Works fine, except the FSHotSeat (i buy the license and this add-on has "closed"... and doesn´t work in Win7). But, my system has a upgrade to Win 10 Pro, and i change to 4GB of RAM.

My FS9 has stopped... returns:

"Your computer has run out of avaliable memory. Flight Simulator will now exit. You may not have enaugh free space in your hard drive. Run Disk Cleanup to free up free space, and then try running Flight Simulator again."

What?

My system has a free 2 GB of RAM space, and 4GB of virtual memory (HD). Free space in HD 120GB. Whats going on?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Martin.

CAVOK always!

• 2 weeks later...
fs9 works pretty great with Windows 10 for me! I've been using it for about 6 months now and it's working fine except for the occasional crash. I think that has more to do with my add-ons though. (It does bother me a lot, especially the C++ error.) I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Overall, FS9 and Windows 10 = Happy Flying! (At least for me it is)

I upgraded too to Win 10 and found out that several simulation games does not work any more. Tried everything. Microsoft gives not at home. Win 10 is good for administration en pictures. For the rest it is a mess. One of my PC's is being rebuilt now back to 7. The other 2 I keep on 10 for the moment because I do not use them for sim. games.

Disapointed user

W10?

Excuse the prolix response, but these quotes delineate quite well why this particular piece of Micro$oft malware will never be on any of my systems.

"The option to select various methods for downloading Windows Updates (or ignoring them completely) was removed. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users, if configured by the administrator, may defer updates, but only for a limited time. Under the Windows license, users consent to the automatic installation of all updates, features and drivers provided by the service, and to the automatic removal or changes to features being modified or no longer provided."

"Windows Update does not allow the selective installation of updates, and all updates (including patches, feature updates, and drivers) are downloaded and installed automatically. Users can only choose whether their system will reboot automatically to install updates when the system is inactive, or be notified to schedule a reboot."

"Some users reported that during the installation of the November upgrade, some applications (particularly utility programs such as CPU-Z and Speccy) were automatically uninstalled during the upgrade process, and some default programs were reset to Microsoft-specified defaults, both without warning."

"Microsoft has also received criticism for using deceptive user interfaces to coax users into installing the operating system, downloading installation files without user consent, and making it difficult for users to suppress the advertising and notifications if they do not wish to upgrade to 10. As of January 2016, Microsoft has not yet provided any official method to suppress GWX notifications or prompts regarding Windows 10."

"In September 2015, it was reported that Microsoft was triggering automatic downloads of the Windows 10 installation files on all compatible Windows 7 or 8.1 computers configured to automatically download and install updates, regardless of whether or not they had specifically requested the upgrade. ...However, on October 29, 2015, Microsoft announced that it planned to consider Windows 10 as a "recommended" update in the Windows Update interface some time in 2016, which will cause an automatic download of installation files and a one-time prompt with a choice to install to appear. In December 2015, it was reported that a new advertising dialog had begun to appear, only containing "Upgrade now" and "Upgrade tonight" buttons, and no obvious method to decline installation besides the close button. ...some users also alleged that their Windows 7 and 8.1 devices had automatically begun upgrading to 10 without their consent."

"Concerns were shown by advocates and other critics for Windows 10's privacy policies and its collection and use of customer data. Under the default "Express" settings, Windows 10 is configured to send various information to Microsoft and other parties, including the collection of user contacts, calendar data, and "associated input data" to personalize "speech, typing, and inking input", typing and inking data to improve recognition, allowing apps to use a unique "advertising ID" for analytics and advertising personalization and allow apps to request the user's location data and send this data to Microsoft and "trusted partners" to improve location detection. ....writer Alec Meer argued that Microsoft's intent for this data collection lacked transparency, stating that "there is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different settings screens and an external website constitutes 'real transparency'.""

"Microsoft Services Agreement reads that the company's online services may automatically "download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices." Critics interpreted this statement as implying that Microsoft would scan for and delete unregistered software installed on devices running Windows 10."

Archived