The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

As my next leg home would have me flying across most of Minnesota I looked for  some scenery on here of the area I knew quite well, with no success.

So I looked at getting some payware stuff and came up with MEGAscenery for the whole state. It's a MONSTER download in about 25 parts, but it wasn't badly priced so I bought it.

The download instructions run to PAGES of text and require two more utilities to be downloaded first, so I did all that and installes the utils, and started of downloading it all.

Did it work?

NO! 😬

I could download the manual and all the charts for the entire state but NONE of the scenery files would download, every one saying 'Internal Server Error'.

I've emailed a VERY rude note back to the suppliers! 

• Sad 1

Regards

Kit

3 hours ago, Sirrus said:

advice/experience/opinions

Without advice/experience/opinions being freely given by all participants of these forums, there would be no forum.

We would all do well to reread and follow the first two rules of these forums:

1. Respect each other: Treat others with respect and courtesy. Do not post any content that is derogatory, offensive, or inflammatory.
  2. Keep it civil: Discussions can get heated, but personal attacks, name-calling, and harassment will not be tolerated. Keep debates and discussions respectful and civil.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

28 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Lumberjack (?) at the controls with his faithful Husky next to him ... that's it!

Great airplane.  Put many miles on one though haven't flown it in a while (so many aircraft, so little time).

cessna_190_054.thumb.jpg.c847f67d640a383c44b46adea26e1106.jpg

cessna_190_041.thumb.jpg.b38a9f61407fb039caf442d723e4c2ec.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

Just a teaser ... all cleaned and polished ready for the Meigs Mini ... 😎

MM_2.jpg.6a42c32c764d29045f863da0fb93b4b6.jpg

Looks great! Have Fun!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 3/27/2024 at 9:49 AM, TomPenDragon said:

Boston!!!!  My old stomping grounds!  IRL, my home field was KDXR, and I've landed Cherokees at KOWD a time or two.  In the sim (FS9), I used to fly into Gillette for home games (Go Patriots!).

What sim, and whose planes?

In FSX I used a DC-6 from CalClassics, in FS2020 from PMDG and a 737-7 from PMDG, default Carbon Cub & TBM, Beech 18 & Bonanza from Carenado.  

• Like 2

Pick a Plane and a Sim Platform, and come on over! They'll be looking forward to seeing you there!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

17 minutes ago, jgf said:

Just don't get any ideas about usurping my spot at last place.

And steal you place of honor? Never!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

20 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Just a teaser ... all cleaned and polished ready for the Meigs Mini ... 😎

MM_2.jpg.6a42c32c764d29045f863da0fb93b4b6.jpg

SWEET!!  Plus the sound of Rolling Thunder!  Well chosen!

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

1 hour ago, TomPenDragon said:

A quick question: Who's already in Chicago for the Meigs Fly-In and Club Meeting?

I'm... at 2V2 (KLMO) stuffing a Santiago's Breakfast Burrito down the gullet, and washing it down with a cup of Coffee.

Then, I'm gonna sit in the Sunshine of a Longmont morning for a while.

I'll be there... when the wheels touch on 36. 

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Mike, if you're going to start the thread, would you please title it:

[Club Chachapoya] Meigs or Bust

...with the Club name in italics and bracketed, in front of the event name?   One of the agenda items for the meeting will be a consistent branding, so that anyone looking at the Forums list can tell which ones are ours, in the absence of an adequate club function in the website software (or even the dignity of a response from the Administrator).  The branding might be changed as a result of the meeting, but this is the best we've come up with so far.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Who's already in Chicago for the Meigs Fly-In and Club Meeting?

I flew there last nights and will post my flight PIREP with the new Meigs thread.

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, ScottishMike said:

I had already posted. Does anyone know how I can edit the title now it's posted?

Since only you have posted there as of yet, perhaps just delete the thread and start a new one with the branded naming?

phrog x 2.jpg

As an end user, the only thing you can do is to copy the post body from the old thread, start the new one, paste the post body into the editor, and re-post.  Note: this is a copy/paste operation, not the site's quote function.  This should bring all of the pictures and text as formatted, if you select the whole post and nothing else.

8 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

A quick question: Who's already in Chicago for the Meigs Fly-In and Club Meeting?

I'm still miles away, in Minneapolis at present, and old stamping ground of mine, and intend heading to Meigs tomorrow, via some interesting places.

I may make a water landing at Meigs if the current 90 degree crosswind still obtains! 

Regards

Kit

8 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

I landed Thursday in a Beech 18.  Just a short flight from Oshkosh OSH.  We had IFR conditions from 1700 to 9,000 and a crosswind at Meigs.

Esteemed Fellow Fliers:

Following is the agenda for next week's Club Meeting.  Attendance may be either in person or via teleconference (you don't need to be at Meigs to participate).

Please do not post any responses to the Questionnaire in any current thread - I will create a new one for the Meeting.  Take the weekend to consider your answers.

Please do not suggest any specific flight Challenges in your responses (that's the next step).

I'll post a notification both here and in the Meigs Or Bust thread once the Meeting thread is open.

Thanks,

Tom

Club Chachapoya 2024 Annual Meeting, Meigs, 01-04 April

Agenda

• 01 - 02 April: Reception of Questionnaire Responses
    • All Responses should be received prior to 12:00 CDT (Chicago time), 02 April.
    • Responses should be received without discussion or reply.  Let's let everyone have their say first, then talk about it.
    • Late responses will be received, but might not get the discussion they deserve.
  • 02 - 03 April: Discussion/Consensus Building
    • Discussion of responses should not occur until after 12:00 CDT on 02 April.
    • Let's try to take the Questionnaire in order.
    • At this point in our journey together, we probably Agree with each other far more than we disagree.  The first goal of the discussion is to identify and document these areas.  The second goal is to find something that we can all live with for those places in which we disagree.
    • (I hate to feel the need to say this) All discussion will be kept civil and productive.  No response to the Questionnaire (made honestly and without the intention to provoke or ridicule) is any less valid than any other.  Our primary goal here is Fellowship - to fly with other folks and tell each other stories about it, to challenge ourselves and each other to be better pilots and to help others to learn.  What else do we all have in common except Flight Simming?  So, let's:
      • Disagree without being disagreeable.
      • Be slow to anger, quick to forgive, and leave pursuing grudges in the box in the attic with all the rest of the things from our childhoods.
      • Express ourselves, perhaps even insistently when a point's very important to us, but put finding a liveable consensus over winning a point.  Let's all get on the same side of the table here and come up with answers, rather than going round and round in pointless arguments.
      • When something offends us, let's take 5 or even wait a day or two and make our response a considered Action, rather than a brute Reaction.  As I used to tell my clients, "The one who unconsciously Reacts rather than consciously Acts. loses."  Save Reacting for when you're on final into KCGX, past decision height, and that nice, 30-knot headwind suddenly drops to 0.
      • We all have different skill and knowledge sets.  Never ridicule a question, just because it seems too basic.  Let's put ourselves in the other person's shoes, lace them up, and go for a nice, long walk.  A lot of us are prideful people.  Many of us have done a lot over our lifetimes.  When we find ourselves with a group of other similarly-accomplished individuals, who are all talking about something we don't understand, we tend to not ask the million-and-one questions we have because we don't want to seem dumb.  When we finally do screw up the courage to ask something, the worst thing that can happen is that someone laughs at us for it.  All that does is confirm our feelings of inadequacy.  When will we ask them another question?  Never.  When will we feel safe and confident around that someone or enjoy spending time with them?  After we ask another question and receive a decent, honest response from them.
      • English is the language for our interactions.  We all have different levels of it.  Even those of us who are native English speakers have vast national/regional/cultural differences in how we express ourselves.  Let's not assume that a question or comment is understood by all - in fact, a more valid assumption is that at least one person here will not understand what we've said in the way that we intended it to come out.  Ask. Clarify. Above all, let's be patient with each other.
  • 04 April: Publication of Results
    • Ideally, the Results document will be largely written as a group during the Discussion portion of the meeting.
    • Should I misread/misinterpret/mistype anything during the preparation of the final document, a brief discussion period will be allowed for corrections/rewordings only.  If we all do our jobs during the Discussion portion of the agenda, nothing should come as a surprise to anyone.
    • We are still a young Club; thus nothing decided during the meeting is set in stone,  As we have so far, we will change and adapt as circumstances and experience dictate.

The Questionnaire

Please answer any of the questions on which you have strong feelings.  You do not have to answer them all.  Any answer that  would require the rest of the members of the Club to take a particular action is a commitment on your part to carry out that action yourself, if adopted by the rest of us.

1. How can the Club best serve you?
    1. As a (sim) pilot?
    2. As a creator (writer)?
    3. As a person?
  2. Events:
    1. Majors:
      1. General parameters (length, scoring, reporting, participation by routemakers)?
      2. How many per year?
      3. Timing?
    2. Minors:
      1. General parameters?
      2. Frequency?
  3. Branding and Publicity:
    1. [Club Chachapoya] as visual tag in all Club thread titles.  Thread structure?
    2. How can we increase our popularity and membership roll?
    3. How can we leverage our strengths to get flightsim.com to make accommodations for us?
  4. Club Bylaws, Duties, and Staff:
    1. A basic rules/conflict resolution/disciplinary process set?
    2. What needs to be done?
    3. Who's going to do it throughout 2024 (primaries and alternates)?
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, alanpugh said:

I landed Thursday in a Beech 18.  Just a short flight from Oshkosh OSH.  We had IFR conditions from 1700 to 9,000 and a crosswind at Meigs.

The weather's been less-than-nice all week.  I ferried in a P-38L-N (visual model from Dave Copley's L; flight dynamics and power from his XP38N) this afternoon from New York - the best weather I've flown in all week.

If you have pictures and maybe a story to share, the new thread is https://www.flightsim.com/forums/topic/60177-club-chachapoya-meigs-or-bust/?do=findComment&comment=314239 , [ Club Chachapoya ] Meigs Or Bust (Thanks, ScottishMike; sorry you had to do that).

14 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

I am at  John F. Kennedy International Airport (KJFK).  Next stop is Allegheny County Airport (KAGC).  From there it is an easy flight to Meigs Field.