PhrogPhlyer

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

How did you like flying the "Spartan Classic" by the Numbers? At 30#/2000 21-23 gph is pretty much the normal Fuel Burn; such is the nature of round 'Rentschler Specials' like his Wasp Junior. 

There are three other FS9 airplanes in the other that run a R-985 and fly fast like the Spartan, all Paul Clawson (RIP) creations; the Beech Staggerwing, the Stinson SR-10, and the Howard DGA-15. They're sorta sparse in the 2D/VC department, but they're fun airplanes to fly. 😁

I'm currently going through my hangar and creating Original versions of everything that I've modded.  In the Spartan's case, I discovered that I had made the mods prior to my most recent FS9 installation, which was in 2015.  I fly much differently now, I'm finding.  Thanks for that!

I know Paul's work and I'm pretty sure that I've got the original downloads on a backup somewhere, but I don't have any currently installed.  I've got the old SIMTech Staggerwing, and Lynn & Bill Lyons' Reliant.  The Reliant's stock, while the already-fast Staggerwing's been modded (what was I trying to do, break the sound barrier or something?)  Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgf said:

If you're familiar with airport creation software (much more than I anyway), load that airport and look for anything amiss in that area.  It can be something the creator forgot, or thought they moved, etc., even something essentially under the runway but with the collision box still there (only has to be an inch of it sticking above ground to cause an issue).

I keep crash detection disabled because of the AI tendency to crash into me ...which sends me down in flames while they continue unscathed.   I want them scathed also!

Ah I see, I'll check it out. See what I find. Not sure where to look at specifically. But I can try anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

I see a re-install in my future.......

Ouch!!!

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

40 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

I would suggest an extension to the time limit so that Bossspecops can finish the task, if, of course, nobody objects.

Ditto.  Circumstances beyond his control. 

(And to think, people are so entranced by computer driven cars.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sirrus said:

I would suggest an extension to the time limit so that Bossspecops can finish the task, if, of course, nobody objects.

Have at it, Boss! Hope you get your Sim woes cleared up! 🙂

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Having chatted on the side with Kit, he actually is attempting to get things up and running, and maybe even complete the rally this weekend. So, the rally will officially end at either midnight PST on the 10th OR when Bosss lands at Santa Monica, whichever comes last.

Final standings will be posted the following day.

• Like 4

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

So, the rally will officially end at either midnight PST on the 10th OR when Bosss lands at Santa Monica, whichever comes last.

I like that bit, thanks so much. 🙂

Melo gave me a couple of ideas to try before doing a re-install and one of them worked a treat. My FSX now runs again .  🙂

I'll try and get a couple of Legs flown tomorrow, and that will leave the last one for Sunday, with luck.

Thanks for all your help and agreement on delaying the end of the Rally, maybe next time I'll fly an SR-71, but that doesn't have such a spectacular STOL performance as the Lysander does. 🙂

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

55 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

maybe next time I'll fly an SR-71

Too funny, I was contemplating the XB-70.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Bossspecops said:

I like that bit, thanks so much. 🙂

Melo gave me a couple of ideas to try before doing a re-install and one of them worked a treat. My FSX now runs again .  🙂

I'll try and get a couple of Legs flown tomorrow, and that will leave the last one for Sunday, with luck.

Thanks for all your help and agreement on delaying the end of the Rally, maybe next time I'll fly an SR-71, but that doesn't have such a spectacular STOL performance as the Lysander does. 🙂

Any airplane has STOL qualities; with the SR-71, you just have to start your Approach from farther away, say like the middle of the Atlantic. Like the Song says, "By the time you get to Phoenix, you'll be gliding..."

And if that fails, there's always the yellow and black striped "Loud" Handle between your legs... 😋

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

Now that would make for an interesting beach landing ... 

Seriously considering a try, hmmm...

phrog x 2.jpg

8 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Now that would make for an interesting beach landing ... 

Not for the feint at heart...

Touch down, fully stalled.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c853e246e85d56e495b6aaf66410e6a.jpeg

Standing on the brakes.

image.thumb.jpeg.de50728b31020a6a4d06bd7a9455ab1a.jpeg

Not what you see every day at the beach.

image.thumb.jpeg.1161922a55cdf10027d131556138d79f.jpeg

Attempted a beach take off. well... Stall then Spin, soon to be followed by Crash and Burn.

image.thumb.jpeg.c911dd604c92d8461a95a37767d8b45f.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

8 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Not for the feint at heart...

• Touch down,                              ––> Fully stalled.
  • Standing on the brakes,           ––> Not what you see every day at the beach.
  • Attempted a beach take off,    ––> Well... Stall then Spin,

...soon to be followed by Crash and Burn.

Wonder if you would be capable to fly the Concorde if you allready crash and burn the XB-70 Valkyrie. 😜 Allthough that was fun...
I've never ever tried to land on such a narrow strip that close to water... Only thing compareable I did yet, was to land on the beach in Barra, Scotland.

Not with an XB-70 or a Concorde though... obviously... but with the Twin Otter.

6 hours ago, Airbasil_1 said:

Wonder if you would be capable to fly the Concorde if you allready crash and burn the XB-70 Valkyrie.

Yes I've flown both the Concorde and the XB-70, with no difficulties, from long PAVED runways.

Yanking it off of a short beach is definitely not in the flight manual.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

24 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

En route to Flagstaff now.

That IS good news.

phrog x 2.jpg