PhrogPhlyer

After living in SoCal for 9 years on the 80's I swore I'd never go back, Glad this is a sim, i can make an exception.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

6 minutes ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Heard she had supernatural powers without the habit!

Oh yes, Sister Bertrille. She would often "sally" about in the "field."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

3 hours ago, JSMR said:

Ooh, you might have to explain that one to me. 🤔 🤭

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

South paw? Left handed? Hand of the Devil?

"Southie" = Someone from South Boston. Predominantly Irish, known for their distinctive accent and somewhat 'irreverent' behaviours, regardless of Social station. Lots of Bars. Home of many "characters" like the Donovan, Sullivan and Costigan families (look 'em up). Stomping grounds of Jackie Rohr. Location of the events depicted in the film Spotlight.

JSMR's 'companions' and their behaviours prompted me to think of them as Southies... that's all. 😋

• Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 minute ago, ViperPilot2 said:

"Southie" = Someone from South Boston. Predominantly Irish, known for their distinctive accent and somewhat 'irreverent' behaviours, regardless of Social station. Lots of Bars. Home of many "characters" like the Donovan, Sullivan and Costigan families (look 'em up). Stomping grounds of Jackie Rohr. Location of the events depicted in the film Spotlight.

I let Mrs. Official Officious Air Rally Official know that flight simming is a great source of information.

She responded with "you STILL on your computer?"

• Like 3

phrog x 2.jpg

0E0-KGUP 

ABQ-GUP

ETE : 1:02

ATE : 1:04 (V2)   < Boo Booo!!!

All aboard the gravy train!!

Ooh, making me hungry. 

"Hey porky buns, I'm hungry"
"I say old chap, slightly uncouth. But expected for you Aussies" 

Oooh, a little harsh! True...but harsh. Anyway..

"I said, can I have my pork bun, I'm getting a little hungry''. 

oooh, very nice from my wife. A little spicy though..

Screenshot266735.thumb.jpg.9dde150ad88c177da0541b7c5b57933a.jpgScreenshot273636.thumb.jpg.86cf8ec07aba33ce3b9d16a7643d9f9c.jpgScreenshot274157.thumb.jpg.1adc0b6243c952d35f9e127c1b62e18f.jpg

Making good ground. I'm looking at a V0!!! Woohoooo!!

"What's the Irishman up too? He's standing behind me talking out loud."

"Drinking and entertaining the nuns". 
"Huh? How is he doing that? He's facing the front"?
"He says that he needs to face forward because his voice sounds will travel back since the plane is moving forward."

🤒

"Soft buns' . 

"Oooh thank you bad boy" .

"Huh? I said my wifes pork buns are soft'. 
"Uncouth Australian".

Who invited the Englishman?! 
"I heard that".

😩😏

Screenshot295471.thumb.jpg.ba3f092255be1a7d9bf712c15a728ad1.jpg

That's passing...somewhere. 

Uuughhhhh. My stomach....that spicy pork bun. 
"Oooh so sweet of you". 

uuughhhhh my stomach......TOOO spicy. I cant concentrate.  

Screenshot382070.thumb.jpg.88f4ae3d5cd9b52d1775d0c979e88dd7.jpg
^ thats my approach. I cant fly. My stomach. 

Screenshot382229.thumb.jpg.f3e52b07c7196478d314b63e085b30c3.jpg

I'm going to make it. Its costing me time.  I was ahead, but now I'm behind. Arrghhhh. 
Will I make it??? 
Screenshot384633.thumb.jpg.e400f85381ec66a5b5942d48a3ae5dc3.jpgScreenshot387797.thumb.jpg.7f4a67b5a5b00e1f100a85bd28b885e9.jpg

Yep, but lost lots of time. And a V2. 
Damn those hot spicy pork buns. 

"oohh hehehe thank you"!

🤭

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

You could at least take lots of pics of it as you approached at 350 kts or so. 🙂

I have enjoyed every camera pass that I was able to accomplish during this Rally.  It is nice not having other aircraft hunting me and trying to shoot me down, as was the case in WWII.  This aircraft, PL965, completed 40 missions in WWII.  And yes, speed was life on those missions. 🙂

On 11/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Everyone,

Let's start with what this Rally is all about, getting as many people as possible to share their various aircraft and sim versions with each other, and to have some fun along the way.

So a few comments:

1. I took on the task of moderating this particular rally in part to learn more about all of you, and at the request of ViperPilot2 who had just finished a wonderful job of moderating the last challenge.
  2. During the development period, on another thread, many of you shared your thoughts and ideas as to the route and conditions for the rally. I codified these into the initial posting of this thread.
  3. Along the way there have been numerous requests for tweaks and clarifications, of which I believe every request has been accommodated.
  4. Late into the rally we had two additional contestants request entry, to which NO ONE voiced a no. Especially in light of bringing the XP-11 and MSFS 2020 perspective to be shared with us. I saw this as an amazing positive. I didn't know that others across the FlightSim community were reading and enjoying our rally and shared banter.
  5. It was then requested that these entrants get a full 30 days. Understanding that our non-sim lives do make it difficult to put the time into these fights, and also recognizing that we have all been anxiously waiting for the rally's checkered flag, and not wanting the rally to roll into the Holidays, I made a decision to extend the the end date by 10 days. 
  6. Somehow that decision has now devolved into personal attacks and and allegations of cheating. I can assure you that had I not been performing the moderation tasks (along with some illness and also an actual family emergency that took me away for a few days), I would have used that time to fly.
  7. Of the ten who have actually started flying, only five have completed the rally.
  8. For the remaining five, please make every effort to finish as soon as possible, for what I feared when I set up the initial thirty day period has proved true, that is was too long to hold interest and comradery together.
  9. I will continue to post the standings to the best of my ability. And will continue to read and enjoy all of your exploits as you "Get your kicks on Route 66."
  10. Thank you for all your flying, writing, jokes, support, and general sharing of aviation fellowship. Let's get back to that, and have fun.

Respectfully,

PhrogPhlyer 

The Rally looked like great fun to do but unfortunately for me - work got in the way and I couldn't continue. I did re-fly the first section but my times were so out of the box I managed to embarrassed myself again - and this time I even knew the way 😂 Keep up the good work - I'll try again next time

• Like 3
I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy just in case I see a serpent - which I also keep handy.....

1 hour ago, meloscanlon said:

I have enjoyed every camera pass that I was able to accomplish during this Rally.  It is nice not having other aircraft hunting me and trying to shoot me down, as was the case in WWII.  This aircraft, PL965, completed 40 missions in WWII.  And yes, speed was life on those missions. 🙂

And altitude too, not many enemy aircraft could get as high as a PRX1. 

Regards

Kit

1 hour ago, AlyMac said:

I'll try again next time

Look forward to seeing you wherever the next one may be.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, meloscanlon said:

Mount Tabor is in Israel.

That's a BIT offcourse.

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, AlyMac said:

The Rally looked like great fun to do but unfortunately for me - work got in the way and I couldn't continue. I did re-fly the first section but my times were so out of the box I managed to embarrassed myself again - and this time I even knew the way 😂 Keep up the good work - I'll try again next time

Sorry to hear that.  As far as I'm concerned, you're still welcome to fly into KSMO and join us for the dinner and closing ceremony - and certainly for the next Challenge.

• Like 1

Hey folks, just got back into town...

Rey's car took a bit longer than expected.  Cynthia called him on Thanksgiving to tell him that it was finally ready.  I had rented a Turbo Saratoga to give Sierra Hotel a bit of a break, so I gave him a lift to Gallup on Friday.  He and Cynthia are driving the T-Bird to New York.

I went back to Santa Monica that same day, bought the Saratoga, spent the night, and on Saturday afternoon flew it to Tulum to pick up Jessica (who'll be joining us for the closing event using Rey's ticket - hope nobody minds).  Every time we had talked during the race, she had said that it sounded like a lot of fun and I had said that I wished I'd been flying it in our Porsche Mooney.  So, we dropped the Saratoga off in Cuernavaca, picked up the Mooney, and headed for Lansing!  Jessica did most of the flying, since she hadn't logged any time so far this year.

We ran the first six sections of the Rally yesterday, landing at the end of each stage.  This morning, we did Gallup-Flagstaff-Needles-LA in a single shot.  Jessica set a V0 to Lansing and never reset the Flight Timer, so we don't have any times to report.  We don't have any pictures or videos, either, except for the following of the Mooney on the ramp at KSMO:

Screenshot(360).thumb.jpg.f7cd3132e23ccd03db3b03bb481f2b79.jpgScreenshot(361).thumb.jpg.7052070dd6e1096a63136b6c5053b789.jpgScreenshot(362).thumb.jpg.38a561bd470acf34e35d77b50c161e16.jpgScreenshot(363).thumb.jpg.ae8af4daa5503c5469258c94ac2649a1.jpgScreenshot(364).thumb.jpg.034cc53180dee9ad2f7032d0254f20fa.jpg

(well, we have pictures and videos from the trip, but my wife and I hadn't seen each other in almost a year, so there's no way any of them'll get past the moderators)

On 11/22/2023 at 1:02 PM, meloscanlon said:

Are you aware that A2A Simulations released the P-40 Warhawk or Kittyhawk (depending on where you are from) for free during the pandemic.

P-40.thumb.jpg.cec5905dbfa438a363cd8371800f0832.jpg

Also Aeroplane Heaven's FSX aircraft are all available for free at Orbx.  This Globe Swift, for example, would be a good touring aircraft for this type of Rally.  There are a number of Aeroplane Heaven aircraft to choose from at Orbx.

AHGlobeSwift.thumb.jpg.27e51848b56bb341bf0d6c49aa867b80.jpg

I do have some payware aircraft too.  Can't resist a Spitfire, so I also have the A2A Spitfire

A2ASpitfire.thumb.jpg.1a613e8dfce580f06340e5b7df08276c.jpg

And another A2A aircraft is the Comanche 250 which would also be great fun for a Rally.

A2AComanche250.thumb.jpg.a1d4453028b2c94e0d4da4efee5d4fa3.jpg

I love the P-40!  Though they are all sweet!  And no one should be able to resist any Spitfire.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

19 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

After living in SoCal for 9 years on the 80's I swore I'd never go back, Glad this is a sim, i can make an exception.

After time at MCAF Santa Ana and El Toro in the 60's, I tend to agree. 

It was often a real bear to drive home after Night Flying From Santa Ana when the fog was heavy!  I once drove about a block on the wrong side of a large and high highway dividing median before I noticed the railroad crossing gates I spotted were on my left side rather than the expected right!! 😨 TBTG the locals stayed home that night!!

However I still have fond memories of San Diego.  As long as you don't venture too far on the south.  And who, other than Navy Seals, can ever be unhappy when visiting "Admirals Island?"  (Having said that, I much preferred it before they built the bridge!)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

6 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

And altitude too, not many enemy aircraft could get as high as a PRX1. 

Spitfireataltitude.thumb.jpg.facdf98d66c530a8522ff0c389008149.jpg

Just for fun, I took off from KFLG with full fuel and was able to get pretty close to the reported altitude ceiling of 44,000 ft for the Spitfire Mk XI.  Note the contrail behind which was a problem during wartime sorties.

Edited by meloscanlon
adding a picture