PhrogPhlyer

3 hours ago, Sirrus said:

The epitaph for those who fell at the Battle of Kohima says:-

When you go home, tell them of us, and say,

For their tomorrow, we gave our today.

I think this applies to all those who fell in defence of freedom, no matter what nationality, race, or religion.

I for one, say, Thank you for your service. We will remember them.

My Uncle was at Kohima, my Mum's sister's husband that is. He was Major in the 3rd Carabiniers, in charge of a unit of M3 Lees.

Ah, I just checked, it was Imphal, not Kohima, sorry. Just down the road a bit though. 

Regards

Kit

9 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Plane flies a lot better without those sandbags in the boot, doesn't it?  (Just kidding, with a note of envy - congratulations, Kit!)

https://e6bx.com/e6b/

Doesn't look like an E6B, but very easy to use.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/resources/e6b-flight-computer-instructions/

An actual circular slide rule emulator.  Fun and good to practice with if you don't have a physical one (mine's outside in the shed, on top of my 8-track player, I think).

I think the sandbags were in my head on that first flight, certainly felt like it anyway.

I like that E6B on the web, I've mad it a fave site now, and hopefully my wind angles will now be much improved.

Thanks for the link.  👍

Regards

Kit

2 hours ago, Rupert said:

Having said that I want to add Happy Marine Corps Birthday to all the Marines and a prayer for a peaceful and Happy Veterans Day to all who serve/d and to the families that wait/ed for them!

Semper Fi Michael.

To those who may not have served, or known anyone who had, I have seen much confusion and mixing of three district important days on the web and throughout the media.

Veterans Day, Armed Forces Day, and Memorial Day (Remembrance Day).

The distinction between these days has deep meaning for those who serve, have served, or know someone who will never return. So please, respect the differences.

image.thumb.jpeg.71151784b283f948c94588c4fc9bfd04.jpeg

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

29 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

Tomorrow is Armistice Day in the UK.

We will have a 2 minute silence at 11.00 GMT. Sunday is Remembrance Sunday and there will be a Service of Remembrance at the Cenataph, Whitehall in London in the morning with another two minute silence at 11.00. The King will attend this one.

Every town throughout the UK will have their own service to remember the Fallen.

I will think of Staff Sergeant Brett Linley who was killed by an IED in Afghanistan, and whom I taught as a boy, and my Great-Uncle William Wild who was gassed on the Somme in 1916. A talented musician, he never played again after he was gassed. May they rest in peace.

What a wonderful remembrance!  We have been lucky to visit the Cenetaph while in London more than once.  This old US Marine chopper pilot has also blessed to visit many airfields from the Battle Of Britain. Where I always paid my humble respects!

My father who lived in Scotland during WWII but due to a missing an arm due to farm tractor incident was not eligible to fight there came to the US after the war was over.  He instilled in his children the need to defend our country and our rights!  Though my father died in 1954 my brother and I both became US Marines and fought in Vietnam.  He was in infantry and I flew H-34s and H-46s.  My sister married a US Marine infantry Vietnam Veteran after he was disabled and sadly is now dead.

So yes, even though my Marine combat veteran brother and brother in law are now dead I was thrilled and honored to play Taps at their funerals in my clan correct kilt!  And I now represent them and the Corps on yet another Marine Corps Birthday and Veterans Day.  (Armistice Day in the UK) where my wife and I have spent time visiting my blood relatives who still live near Fife in Scotland.

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

So........I made it! To the airport. Finally. Arrived nice and early. The nuns, Irishman and Englishman were excited. Me less so. Where did the suave handsome Englishman come from? Grrrr.

"I'm here!" I said to the guard at the gate.  

"Here for what'?

"The start of the race"! 
"Well I'm afraid old boy the race started a couple weeks ago. You're the last to leave".

"Oh...well...better late than never!"

First question...why am I always last? Second...I'm in the US...why are there so many Englishman here? Grrr. 

Lets load her up! 
Screenshot31988.thumb.jpg.ad61e164d07381f44d3eb60468cbc7cb.jpg

The nuns onboard. The Irishman onboard (entertainment manager). Booze onboard.  Door closed. And we are set!
"I say old chap, I haven't boarded. And the door is closed".

Nearly got away with it. 😐

Correction. Previous time to complete was 1:12. I was unable to continue the flight so restarted and the time was 1:13. 

Flightplanupdated.thumb.jpg.165f4a197e82fb46271eb284c4a00301.jpg

Lets start her up!!Screenshot36233.thumb.jpg.74f64000d704e7dbacd64a11bfaae6a4.jpg

There's my wife waving! 

"Bye h..ney, ave fu ith th ho.. sp..cy prk nu.s!" 😮

Why thank you sweetie for the approval to have fun with the hot spicy porky nuns!!!! 😏 What a wife!!
A little discriminatory as we cant all be skinny minnies...even nuns, but...hey...we can't all be perfect. 

"Do you think he heard you?", the English guard said .
"Oh I hope so. He needs to be careful of the extra hot spicy pork buns I made for him". 

Time to depart. Aircraft fitted with the real engine mod. 
Screenshot43819.thumb.jpg.3ff216cfa3fbdeab940573aa48632975.jpg

Some shots of the departure and climb < no **** sherlock!Screenshot343370.thumb.jpg.f889aa949a66c209f02dc3786f2df4c0.jpgScreenshot400244.thumb.jpg.c61d67bc55320c00b029403059e18e52.jpg

We are on our way! The party has begun!! The Englishman was hungry so I gave him - what I assumed were - the usual dry, bland ham and cheese buns in the brown paper bag my wife gave me. 
Nice face, shame about the cooking skills. 

"Well that's a little sexist old boy!"

"Huh? I said that out loud? Anyway, what are you doing up here in the cockpit. Get back to the cabin".

Screenshot401610.thumb.jpg.09f5aba3b378aa1137595be33c5b5d0e.jpg

Screenshot415757.thumb.jpg.9809db26ef28165f1e45b57dcd82df3c.jpg

She purrs along like the beauty that she is. The aircraft flies pretty well too.  😜

Time to descend. Seem to be looking good to finish on time! 
Screenshot466426.thumb.jpg.03f73f6adfe9223ad0e2285fe2958d54.jpg

A little short!
"Who are you calling short old boy!"
Huh? Am I really saying all of this out loud? 

Screenshot473755.thumb.jpg.e741ed1f3eaa38ce8bc2dec769206603.jpg

On the ground. Taxi in. Kill the engines!
"Kill the Englishman?? God save the King!!"

Aye aye aye. Its only Leg 1. 😩

Results in! 

leg1completed.thumb.jpg.cfae14a2c40b247dcfc68cd48a529fb0.jpg

leg1(a)completed.thumb.jpg.9f7a1dee6df9ec76be37a87536dc1c71.jpg

Nice crop job. LOL

Time : 1:12 if I can read it right (if anybody reads it differently, all inquiries go through hot buns...ah..I mean Nun #3 ) The original estimated time! Oh well. 
V1 
Leg 1 completed. Finally!!

• Like 3

Day 10 standings, based upon reported flight times/variances per route leg.

The stories are just "plane" fun.

Updated as information gets posted. Should I miss anyone's posting of times, just give me a shout, and I'll correct this immediately'ish.

image.thumb.jpeg.d025e0cc24d822098487afc673f0534f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

It has become clear that I've lost track following all 19 pages of stories and adventures.

So I ask that for each leg, at the end of your post, please list the Leg start/stop or overfly airport and the variance time for the leg. That will help me ensure I get you posted on the Standings Board correctly. Thank you.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

Outside was still cold, snow and frozen slush coating the small town. I cupped hands on my mug of hot chocolate warming fingers.

“Well not a pleasant lesson, but a useful reminder for pilots: never take the weather for granted.

What did we do wrong?” Suzanne asked.

She had brought notes with her.

“This was the weather report we had for Moriarty before we left Tradewind.” She added:

Moriartyweather.jpg.e31f07104440829918554d405179114f.jpg

We both examined it: “confusing as hell” I noted: “Overcast 3,300 ft. how do you interpret that? Moriarty is at 6199 ft. Was it overcast underground? How far up did the overcast extend? Yet visibility is given at 16 Km. And it gives wind speed for 2,827 ft. and 5,078 ft. Again is this underground?”

“We need a lesson or two on how to interpret standard weather reports.” She made a note.

“What about the speed and altitude loss as we approached the mountains?” I asked.

“Actually that was pilot error. My mistake.” She added.

“How so?” I asked puzzled.

“While you were busy acting as lookout for approaching mountains, I wanted to find the altitude we needed to clear that southern outcrop of the Sangre De Cristo mountains so I switched on autopilot and set it at 8500 ft. while I studied the maps. Autopilot is an early form of A.I. But more accurately A.I. should be called A.S. (Artificial Stupidity) All the autopilot did, as conditions worsened and we started to lose altitude, was increase the up trim, in effect slowing the aircraft further. When I realized what was happening (and we were not far off stalling) I immediately switched it off, pointed the nose down, increased power and adjusted trim (the autopilot had increased trim till it was at maximum up setting).

All the text books say DONT USE AUTOPILOT IN ICING OR OTHER DIFFICULT CONDITIONS it's just a pretty dumb aid to a competent pilot it does NOT fly the aircraft for you.

So actually two mistakes One: we should have known the height of the tallest obstacle en route.

Secondly: I relied on the autopilot in exactly the wrong conditions.” She sat quietly staring into her hot cup

“Well we live and learn.” I tried to lighten the mood.

“We were lucky it wasn't the Sangre De Aviator joining Christ's.”

PhrogPhlyer, here's what you're missing from me:

08 November. Moriarity – Gallup. 2:00 plan v. 1:58 act. V02.

10 November.   Gallup – Flagstaff.            1:16 plan v. 1:16 act.

Thanks for doing what's probably the most daunting and least fun part of the Challenge!

On 11/11/2023 at 4:43 AM, Sirrus said:

After my second cup of coffee, I say goodbye to the guys in the bunkhouse. I know some of these guys faces from watching TV at home but can't name any of them.   I ask them to give my farewells to Miss Penny.

Someone mentioned that the Flying Crown may be in the area ... did you get to meet Clipper? ... but looks like you may have missed the sunset in Radiator Springs!

21 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

missed the White Castle's

Say it's not so!!!

phrog x 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

Flying Crown Ranch, SkyKing

Yup, back when aviation ruled the TV serials.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

least fun

Trus, but keeps everyone posted each day.

I need to remember to actually fly!

phrog x 2.jpg

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

It has become clear that I've lost track following all 19 pages of stories and adventures.

My Leg 1.  Lansing Municipal IL (KIGQ) to Zelmer Memorial IL (5K1)
ETA = 46 minutes. Actual = 46 minutes.  V0

My Leg 2.  Zelmer Memorial IL (5K1) to Jones Lebanon MO (KLBO)
ETA = 44 minutes.  Actual = 43 minutes.  V1

So my current total of V1 is correct.

Regarding Kit (BossSpecOps), all the votes I saw allowed him to redo Leg 1 so his record should be:

Leg 1.  Lansing Municipal IL (KIGQ) to Zelmer Memorial IL (5K1)
ETA = 1hr 20 minutes.  ToT (Time on Target) = 1hr 20 minutes.  V0

Please correct Kit's leg 1 to V0.

My chief mechanic is complaining that I throw his aircraft around in the sky too much.  After he gets done, I hope to have my controls overhauled and recalibrated properly.  Then I can get back in the air and work on Leg 3 to Claremore Regional OK (KGCM).

And I agree, reading all the stories and adventures is great fun! 🙂

F36 to KTDW, from starting the takeoff roll to shutdown was 1:00.35, total distance 167 miles.

Another early start

f36.jpg.0fa9b0015d60ecd7e239a6c020ccd2b1.jpg

At least I now remember the timer;  gad that panel light is garish, really need a dimmer on it.

start.jpg.cccc1bd0bb54175d25ca9c5d0d2d9035.jpg

Amarillo by morning...amarillo.jpg.b130333f8dd5461c26a08e596a316c8c.jpg

Had better luck finding this obscure airfield, approaching i was lamost lined up for the short runway, so let's go for it.

approach.jpg.0e7eec6515a88dc3aa0e222faa2051e7.jpg

Plenty of room ...still driving on the lefttouchdown_x.jpg.b1aa41e22d969ce283af415a2ee0d7d9.jpg

Touchdown at 58.46;  taxi and shutdown at 1:00.35

touchdown_i.jpg.4c284353f08e377f7aed7cfe08a0bdc6.jpg

2 hours ago, Sirrus said:

Sorry, I forgot to post this:-

image.thumb.jpeg.05cb0e1457c7436bd67e167808ae66df.jpeg

...and you have to be of a certain age to remember the Flying Crown Ranch, SkyKing and that very short runway they used! 

"Out of the blue of the western sky comes....."

On 10/28/2023 at 7:24 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

But to alleviate any concerns of advantage, timing is changed to be from time wheels (or skids)  leave the ground, until wheels (or skids), touch the ground.

Hey I just saw this.  Do I need to refly legs 1 and 2?  I measured from start of takeoff roll to full stop on landing.

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Yup, back when aviation ruled the TV serials.

I was really fond of Sky's Beechcraft.  But I really lusted for his niece Penny!! 

Come to think of it at that age I really lusted for almost every teenage girl!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.