PhrogPhlyer

5 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

I'll give the contestants a day to comment. I vote yes for a redo, vote now or forever SHUSHH!

I am also fine with Kit getting a redo.  Everyone should have at least one practice flight before attempting the real thing.  The spirit of this Rally is to have fun together after all! 🙂

1 hour ago, Bossspecops said:

Melo will remember the ENDLESS number of flight tests I did for him while we were sorting out his Spitfire PRXI for an FS version that was so long ago that I can't remember the number of it!

Our Spitfire Mk XI was published in FS98 in the year 2000, which is ages ago in the flight simulator franchise.  Kit was a Superb test pilot for that endeavor, his flight test input and animating all the moving parts was invaluable. 

• Like 1

In preparation for another day in the air I picked up some coffee and donuts and some sliders, just in case I needed a snack along the way.  Also decided I needed a theme song for inspiration along the route (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1tiNGQ4wI).  Anyone have an 8-Track tape player they can lend me?

Snacks.jpg.9dce57d94e80b1d02ede2e488fd8914b.jpg

Heated up the sliders in the hotel room microwave and then put them in my insulated hot-dish bag.  With that, the American frontier awaits!  By the time Tulsa and Oklahoma City pass by, the Comanche is in her domain and lives up to her reputation as a great XC aircraft.

PA-24_12.jpg.2fc3ef42f3edb9da00b7ef4c0bb99f27.jpg

PA-24_13.jpg.b437ef72154adb54714996f8cffba97b.jpg

When Moriarty is on the nose I wash down a couple sliders with some (now cold) coffee so not to miss the approach through the Sandia-Manzano Range and on into Albuquerque.  Next stop and home for a few days ... Gallup (snow on the ground when I arrived)!

KGCM>F36>KTDW>0E0>KGUP; Leg 4 V = 2; Leg 5 V = 1; Leg 6 V = 1; Leg 7 V = 2.

PA-24_14.jpg.d1716a2e5a719932b1c721ec6532b0c9.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 9:46 AM, meloscanlon said:

Leg2-Downandstopped1minuteearly.thumb.jpg.06c63ca45141a84654e0e8bf7a94654f.jpg

Missed the centerline again. 🙂  Maybe by Santa Monica I will get it right at least once.

My sister is visiting for a few days.  I will be back on the flight line by Sunday or Monday.  Have safe and enjoyable flights all!

08 November. Moriarity – Gallup. 2:00 plan v. 1:58 act. V02.

The guys decided to spend Tuesday in Albuquerque, and more than that, to dedicate the day to their practice of the Here-and-Now. For one wonderful moment, there were no clients to worry about, no team to steward, no decisions to make, no I Group, no Ortíz Harrison, nothing but getting to know a charming city. Rey truly relaxed for the first time all trip – Tom saw the tension lines in his face dissolve as it he had applied Botox. More importantly, he saw that Rey was noticing the change himself. They even found a Mexican restaurant that served Mexican food – very good Mexican food, better even than a lot of restaurants in Mexico City.

Screenshot_2023-11-08_07-46-44.thumb.jpg.718a443870f6844442dfd7abf264e0ec.jpg

This morning, both were awake at their usual times, but each felt more rested than they had in a while. They took a cab to Moriarity and had an unhurried breakfast at a diner near the airport. Over coffee, Rey went over the flight plan to Gallup with Tom. “It’s the same plan that you sent me,” he said, “but I’ve reduced the cruising altitude to 10,500’. It is going to be another slog against headwinds this morning. It might get a little lumpy through the mountains, too. We are looking at a flight time of two hours on the nose.”

When I worked up the plan,” Tom said as he grabbed another biscuit from the bread bowl, “I let the true airspeed default to the Cherokee’s standard 110. Pop up the E6Bx, would you? Plug in 10,500 density altitude… What’re the temps up there?”

Zero centigrade, more or less, so let’s see… 92 indicated.”

I may have a few hours on the airframe, but I only have as much experience with the stock engine that you do. What do you think?”

That is pretty much full throttle. Should the winds prove even more adverse than predicted, we will not set a good time. So far, though, the headwinds have been less strong then forecast.”

Fuel?”

I’d like 60 percent. According to the plan, this leaves us with a 10% reserve.”

Lighter. Better climb performance, especially seeing as how quickly it falls off above 6,000’.”

Your Cherokee model in SkyVector contemplates a 90-knot climb speed. I didn’t change it, but I think that 85 might be better.”

If we ever want to get up to altitude.”

Should the winds prove more adverse, I would like to divert to a different airport, fly back to 0E0 after fueling, and try the route later on.”

I think that’s prudent, Rey. We’ve got the whole month to complete the Challenge, and we’re only at… What’s today’s date? The 8th?”

It is.”

I’m in no hurry. Are you?”

Not at all. Like you told me when we first started flying together, when one is in a hurry, one should not be piloting.”

The guys walked across the street to the airport, where they spied a beautiful DeHavilland Dove being pre-flighted by fellow race participant Sirrus. They considered stopping over and saying hello, but Sirrus was flying by himself and they did not want to cause him to lose his place in his checklist. They did wave, which Sirrus returned briefly with a smile before returning to his work.

Rey got the most recent weather report and filed the flight plan. While he pre-flighted Sierra Hotel, Tom stowed the bags as securely as he could – decades of flying the Sierra Madre up and down the length of Mexico had made him well aware of how violently mountain turbulence could throw around a small airplane.

Screenshot(259).thumb.jpg.6b4b01f8d14e027d7ddb1851839ea0f5.jpg

They had just boarded when a shout of, “Prop clear,” brought up both of their heads. The Skylane next to them fired up its engine, which seemed to have trouble catching. “Club plane,” Tom said under his breath. Rey finished his interior pre-flight, opened the vent window and yelled, “Clear,” and Sierra Hotel started and settled into a low purr with barely a flick of the ignition switch. Rey taxied to the fuel pad; Tom got out and made sure that the still somewhat sleepy attendant filled each tank to fifteen gallons exactly.

When they reached the taxiway to the active, the Cessna was rolling slowly just in front of them. “Student,” Rey said under his breath. They followed it to the hold line and waited until the other aircraft had completely cleared the field before taking off themselves.

Screenshot(270).thumb.jpg.18bf7223b5ad32385a16e5329e563ed0.jpg

After a leisurely, well-controlled climb to altitude, they passed ABQ. “32 minutes elapsed versus 34 planned – we’re two minutes fast,” Tom said. “Doing good. We might have a pretty good run.”

Screenshot(271).thumb.jpg.ef0c24f45d1fe6bbafc1a8437dbe56b1.jpg

With such an ability to jinx something into doing bad when it’s doing good just by talking about how good it’s doing, Tom should have been a sports announcer. Halfway between Albuquerque and Grants, the Cherokee dropped like a rock. “She’s stalling,” Rey called as he shoved the nose down.

What the frap was that?” Tom asked.

Just as the airspeed was starting to come up, another gust slammed the aircraft and it fell further. This time, though, the nose was still pointed downward. Rey took care to avoid a spin, but the ground was beginning to close awfully quickly before he could level off. He took Sierra Hotel back up to altitude slowly and carefully. They got slammed a couple of times more, but at least their speed stayed safely in the green.

Rey,” Tom said with a note of alarm as he looked for his EFB, “have you looked at the DME?”

He had been focusing on getting the plane back on course, but glanced across the panel. “145 over ground?” Now Rey sounded alarmed.

Tom had his EFB out and checked hurriedly. “Wind shift and turbulence aren’t here anywhere – neither in SkyVector nor in Windy. I’m calling in a PIREP. What’re you planning on doing?”

The winds seem to have stabilized, so I’ll back her off to 80 IAS. I don’t want to go lower than that. But the flight plan calls for a groundspeed of 72. Let’s see what happens by the time we reach Grants, but I’m afraid that the run might be blown.”

Screenshot_2023-11-08_10-06-47.thumb.jpg.ec5ffdb4c84ac39791231b41a8a7bf41.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-08_10-09-47.thumb.jpg.d3dc234fc297b4c771064066a362f5dc.jpg

Rounding KGNT, they were at 1:07 flight time against a plan of 1:20. “At least fuel is not an issue,” Rey said philosophically. “If you do not mind, I would like to overfly Gallup to get a feeling for how I would like to set up the approach. Another day in Albuquerque is rather appealing, actually.”

That might not be necessary,” Tom said as he worked his EFB. “Did you notice the TFR east of Gallup?”

Of course,” Rey answered. “It was the first thing I checked. Your flight plan runs right over it.”

Because my plan called for 12,500’. You brought it down to 10,500’”

Rey thought for a moment. “Oh, crap! The TFR is from the ground to 11,000’. We will have to go around it.” His eyes widened and a smile came to the corners of his mouth.

Tom read the text of the TFR and concluded with, “That sounds rather serious, doesn’t it?”

Indeed it does,” Rey agreed, his smile broadening.

We shall have to give it a wide berth.”

Indeed, a very wide berth. One cannot be too careful with TFR’s. What’s the frequency for Zuni?”

113.4. One or two?”

Give me Zuni on top and Gallup below, if you would be so kind.”

Tom tuned the nav radios as Rey banked into a gentle left turn.

Screenshot(273).thumb.jpg.6514085572d38b47eb9e8374ead04805.jpg

Screenshot(274).thumb.jpg.acb1bc049061504c64c08dfb4c13c31a.jpg

Rey entered downwind for KGUP at 1500’ AGL. He held a descent to pattern altitude just as Sierra Hotel’s wing was parallel to the end of the runway.

Screenshot(275).thumb.jpg.79ff289f4903cac5867d88692376d400.jpg

He flew base and final by the book, and set down on the numbers at 1:58 flight time. “Two minutes ahead of plan,” Tom said. “Pretty good, considering.”

Screenshot(277).thumb.jpg.fd260dbad18b798a8960dc35ff1e84b3.jpg

Screenshot(278).thumb.jpg.ae4a03c1782ef4e8107f9c8d4289b48f.jpg

Rey taxied to a spot next to a blue Warrior. He gawked at a bus passing on the road outside the airport gate.

Some Retroports are just the airfield itself,” Tom explained, “like LaGuardia, for instance. Some have some vintage billboards outside. But in some places, like Gallup here, the people really get into the whole retro scene. Gallup’s that kind of place anyway – timeless, ageless… But if you ever wanted to see what the ‘60’s looked like, why don’t we take a walk through the town. That bus is vintage; so is the Microbus parked at that hotel by the gate.”

I do love vintage cars,” Rey said.

So, we’re a bit ahead of most of the participants and if we get to KSMO before everyone else, we’re going to have to wait in LA until the trophy ceremony anyway. Why don’t we spend the day here and head off tomorrow morning?”

Groovy.”

That’s the spirit!”

Screenshot(279).thumb.jpg.63d4660b6a906bbc492f3a62ef900389.jpg

The pair put Sierra Hotel to bed until the next day and walked to the gate. They had originally talked about staying in the El Rancho in town, but the sign for the 21 Motel outside the airport fence contained the guys’ two favorite words in the English language:

Free Coffee.”

46 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

They had originally talked about staying in the El Rancho in town ...

The El Rancho sounds good to me ... feel free to swing by should you have some extra time.  Ask for me at the desk if you don't see me in the lobby.  I'll buy!  Is Sirrus still in town?

El_Rancho_Hotel.jpg.deea18e610f5f3dfaacc25df4f952f27.jpg

2 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

The El Rancho sounds good to me ... feel free to swing by should you have some extra time.  Ask for me at the desk if you don't see me in the lobby.  I'll buy!  Is Sirrus still in town?

You're on!  We've spent the day checking out the town and we're lookiing for something to do tonight.  Around 7ish?

6 hours ago, Sirrus said:

In days gone by pilots used to navigate following the road network. Maybe that's what I should've done on this race!

It's helped me out so far! Anything pointing in that right direction keeps me focused.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

After giving me a chance to have another go at Stage 1, I expect you'll all wished you hadn't when I tell you I hit my 'time-on-target' dead-on the second time around exactly at 1 hr 20 mins. 🙂🙂

I spent some time flight testing the Lysander before re-flying Stage 1 as I mentioned before, and while the speeds were quite logical the fuel burns were ridiculous! As an example, in a 500 fpm climb at 138 kts with a boost of +2 the burn rate was 1455 lb/hr, whereas in the cruise at 144 kts with +1 boost it was 210 lb/hr, much m ore sensible. In the descent at 500 fpm at 128 kts and -3 boost, it was only 73 lbs/hr. I think AlphaSim have their engine figures a little screwy, but I can live with it.

I had to taxi over to the north-south runway as the real world wind was at 300 deg. and with the Lysander's remarkable take-off performance I didn't need to go very far down the runway before turning and getting off as only a Lysander can. 🙂 Well, maybe a Scottish Aviation Pioneer would give it a run for its money?

Pic-a.jpg.53cbd4782111912c68a7836e4aaca7e8.jpg

Here I am taxi-ing out, with the canopy open of course....

Turning onto the course for the first VOR, CGT was almost a waste of time as I had to loop around to the south west quite sharply from a north facing take-off, so I set course for EON, using my re-found radio-nav skills, such as they are. With the northerly wind quite strong I was needing a fair amount of off-set in my heading, and I've long forgotten how to use an E6B, and I haven't got a real one anyway. Which reminded me to look for a software version before the next flight.

Pic-b.jpg.a80d92edba952962373cd72e5ef57d59.jpg

A close-up of the Lysander, to remind us what a weird shape it is, but it works a treat. 🙂 This time I flew a little higher as the cloud base was way up there today, at around 4500 ft, recommended by FSX's flight planner, and before long I was approaching my buddies at BMI again. 🙂

Looking down on them from way up you can just how effective that RAF WWII camouflage was, it's quite difficult to make out the Lysander's distinctive shape against the ground texture.

Pic-c.jpg.05ad2e50b08972fd52c2fec16990b204.jpg

By this time I was heavily into checking my potential arrival time against my prediction, and I was gaining on my ETA, so backed off the throttle somewhat, and had time to look around. I've been to the US many times (I worked for a company who's HQ was in Minneapolis for 30 yrs) but I've not been to the area I was flying over, and it amazed me just how FLAT it is! In every direction there's not a hill to be seen! These four pics taken from the four axes of the aircraft show just what I mean.

Pic-k.jpg.be96c89763e4bb6a8dbf979c7c86b9bf.jpg

I got a lot closer to KSPI than I did on my first attempt, and got quite a good look at the place, it's pretty impressive I must say.

Pic-h.jpg.c1c7103dc0f1450fd205f780f8a353ce.jpg

Pretty soon after that it was time to start my descent, and for a change I managed that quite well, and the ToT looked pretty promising, but with that northerly wind I knew I'd have to swing around and land at Zelmer Memorial from the south, and that would take a little extra time, but with a bit of throttle tweaking I got lined up OK.

Pic-i.jpg.4455ff8f45e6522f6f8cdc17dcfc2f4b.jpg

I didn't manage to drop it onto the numbers, and had to go a fair way down the runway before touching down, but the Lysander has good brakes and it wasn't really a problem.

Taxying back in I noticed a funny little object just off on the grass there, so taxied over to have a look before realising it was a fuel station! I'd never seen one like that before, and FSX in its wisdom had filled me up to 100% before I noticed! Luckily I'd taken a note of my fuel state just on the approach, so I could say with some accuracy that used just a bit more than y'day at 45 gallons.

Pic-j.jpg.4070530a9ebb800923caa733f3edb20d.jpg

A MUCH better performance than my woeful attempt y'day, and I'm quite chuffed at now being up there with my buddy Melo. 🙂

Thanks for the second chance, I promise i won't do it again...........

Regards

Kit

• Like 4

Regards

Kit

40 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

After giving me a chance to have another go at Stage 1, I expect you'll all wished you hadn't when I tell you I hit my 'time-on-target' dead-on the second time around exactly at 1 hr 20 mins. 

Fantastic!  (No regrets from this Piper ... keep it up)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bossspecops said:

After giving me a chance to have another go at Stage 1, I expect you'll all wished you hadn't when I tell you I hit my 'time-on-target' dead-on the second time around exactly at 1 hr 20 mins.

Well done!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:49 AM, ScottishMike said:

I put full power on and clear the roof (just) but now am too high so take power off crabbing down and hitting the runway. We both expect the landing gear to join us in the cockpit ... 

I don't even want to think about it!  You two are the best!  I would have ended up in the hospital ... or six feet under.  (Next time just go around ... please)?

Third leg, KLBO-KGCM;  again cruising at 5500ft, 144kt, showing 155kt gs.  Flew straight GPS track this time as VOR path was a big arc to the south, even then flight log showed 192 mi (and 28% fuel used). 

klbo_start.jpg.3996b6318c87461ede7a71d2f062cb6f.jpg

An early morning departure, at a time no sane person should be awake (one reason I was self-employed most of my life);  but my old Bonanza didn't care, she's been performing admirably, day or night.

klbo_sunrise.thumb.jpg.be7b50bae7f9df63416cad3c8e4a20e6.jpg

More midwest scenery, like living on an immense billiard table

halfway_.jpg.f2217d30149f59d64ec464f4d2a7c44b.jpg

And there's KGCM, no ILS, no ADF, not even someone waving a flag to get my attention

kgcm_approach.jpg.e5c55d7c61c094dab56e27a82001400d.jpg

Nailed this landing (for once), maybe I should always do without landing aids.  Touchdown at 1:06.20, shutdown at 1:07.40

landing.thumb.jpg.aae34b30844d86bc7ab5ea081c9c28c9.jpg

(For some reason the last shots were corrupted.)

touchdown.jpg.eb062878190d082eb9f882c29d38cea5.jpg

Steadfastly defending last place.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

After giving me a chance to have another go at Stage 1, I expect you'll all wished you hadn't when I tell you I hit my 'time-on-target' dead-on the second time around exactly at 1 hr 20 mins. 🙂🙂

Plane flies a lot better without those sandbags in the boot, doesn't it?  (Just kidding, with a note of envy - congratulations, Kit!)

12 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

E6B, and I haven't got a real one anyway. Which reminded me to look for a software version before the next flight.

https://e6bx.com/e6b/

Doesn't look like an E6B, but very easy to use.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/resources/e6b-flight-computer-instructions/

An actual circular slide rule emulator.  Fun and good to practice with if you don't have a physical one (mine's outside in the shed, on top of my 8-track player, I think).

I couldn't help but take a pic of the building standing at the end of Rwy 230. I wondered who had received what for approving it's construction:

Closebuilding.thumb.jpg.16dc8f378d3e50785f7a9ced312699d7.jpg

It started out like a page from a text book. Winds as predicted by weather reports, smooth climb to 8500', cruising at the predicted ground speed 110 kts.

First signs of trouble showing west of Tucumcari, south of lake Conchas cloud cover building:

CloudcoverSLConchas.thumb.jpg.e97a95e63a93832e513b435d87709941.jpg

Around Santa Rosa (some 70 nm. From Moriarty) snow on the ground and cloud cover:

70outSnowovercast.thumb.jpg.1d6a6a78bfb9efb6f95144e72074f69a.jpg

Snow aloft and the winds swirling, no longer giving us a steady 10kt. push. Still 55 nm. From Moriarty:

55outOvercastandsnowing.thumb.jpg.891de3538aedd5f3094f7106f6a8cf59.jpg

Approaching the southern finger of the Sangre De Cristo mountains, some 36 nm. to go. I.A.S has dropped to 67 kt. GS to 83 kt. Visibility 0. Suzanne is struggling to keep altitude, we have drifted down to 6600'. Moriarty is at 6200' What height are the mountains where we overfly? Basic mistake in flight planning, we had not noted the altitude of the highest obstacle en route. We decide to skirt round the mountains. We are lucky to have this option. Neither of us give a fig for the time. We are only concerned with reaching and landing safely at Moriarty.

36out0vis.thumb.jpg.3552f163a8b9ec9a40a3734f3f0fa036.jpg

20 nm. out, Suzanne has nursed us back up to 7400' and the ground is just visible (bottom left corner) we hope it is because some visibility is returning, not because the mountains are rising up to kiss the aircraft goodbye:

20outJustabground.thumb.jpg.89a205feabc69a6f358d0432c7c76622.jpg

Past the mountains, 10 nm. to go and Moriarty is somewhere in or below the 0 visibility and it's still snowing. We make plans to divert to Albuquerque. We maintain 7600' :

10outMoriunderthat1.thumb.jpg.221eb1f98841ae37cf6120509703bbd0.jpg

Nine miles out and the cloud clears a bit. We have a chance to make it into Moriarty:

9outGroundvisible.thumb.jpg.90cfd7b7636a43bece20fe610cac4eb1.jpg

Entering a left hand circuit downwind. Tense muscles and nerves relaxing a little:

Moriartycircuit.thumb.jpg.99c7d31a7ad4946cfd365dde4a3870aa.jpg

Lining up for final:

LinedupRwy080.thumb.jpg.19cc8d67f81c2b2daf9a02e7c445d2bb.jpg

Safely parked:

Safelyparked.thumb.jpg.9e93b395a0134d19b88e1340f8f3d53c.jpg

Report results: Planned time 1hr. 56 min. Actual 2hr. 10 min. variation 14 min.

And we don't care, just elated to be down safely!

36 out 0 vis .jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

I.A.S has dropped to 67 kt. GS to 83 kt. Visibility 0. Suzanne is struggling to keep altitude, we have drifted down to 6600'. Moriarty is at 6200'

I actually lived something like this IRL in the plane I'm flying in the race, following an IFR plan, KDCA-KDXR, one winter night with my instrument-rated flying buddy in the left seat and his two nephews in the back.  The problem was a combination of gethomeitis (the kids had to be in school the next day) and a lack of accurate icing information along the route.  I worked harder that night in the right seat than I ever did in the left.  By the time the cloud cover broke just south of New York City, 54J was barely staying in the air at 2000' and full throttle.  Coming into KDXR, it took two hands and all my strength to get the flaps lever to move (even though I had been working it all flight).  My buddy, to his credit, greased the landing - at full throttle!  I had to put my shoulder into the door to get it to open and the kids had to pass the bags forward because the luggage compartment was completely iced over.  There was so much ice on the wings, the fuel filler caps were just a couple of rounded bumps.  Definitely one for AOPA Pilot's "Never Again" column.

I read your description and, when I went to scroll down, my palms were sweating (after 40 years)!

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

It was bad manners to say no ...

A true gentleman.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

10 November.   Gallup – Flagstaff.            1:16 plan v. 1:16 act.

Flagstaff – Needles.          1;15 plan v. 1:14 act. V01.

Needles – Santa Monica.  1:53 plan v. 1:52 act. V01.

Will post the write-up in a couple of days.  See y'all in LA!

KGCM to F36 (F36?,  sounds more like an airplane than an airport).  The day got off to a decent start, clear skies, no wind, I slept late.  Warm up the engine, remember the timer.

depart.jpg.5ac5135c50c032d762d5eadb5e21c0a2.jpg

Ah the capital of Oklahoma, which everyone remembers spelled backwards is a slut.  Clouds ahead ...I didn't order any weather.

tulsa.jpg.845e96e1451c307df4de7de6143f6149.jpg

Tinker AFB, should have landed and spent the night.  The rest of the trip was buffeting and headwinds, gs barely 150kt, even giving the old girl an extra inch of mp.

tinker_afb.jpg.5ca791666c3075a2e347a7a7e3e1b66b.jpg

To make matter worse ...where the hell is the airport?  GPS shows it right in front of me, 6 miles away, but I see nothing;  FSNav says it is the only thing out there, but I see nothing.  The locals have done a good job of camoflage, I was practically buzzing the hangars before I saw it, then had to loop around.  Glad I didn't try this at night, I'd have flown back to Tinker.

landed.jpg.bc207a71a11321c8bd9bcdf945131b62.jpg

Touchdown after 1:21.10, and an approach that resembled a drunken sailor as i sought the runway.

touchdown.jpg.cf54184260df47c90e1f036976b1c454.jpg

Shutdown at 1:23.07

shutdown.jpg.e0091fd317f07161d9ed0fb6664da1bc.jpg

Well, that was an ordeal;  but I've firmly cemented my spot in last place.

done.jpg.de44bce600b19afb7de9a110e47bac7c.jpg

Total distance 227 mi, log shows 1.5 hr, used a third of the fuel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sirrus said:

The epitaph for those who fell at the Battle of Kohima says:-

When you go home, tell them of us, and say,

For their tomorrow, we gave our today.

I think this applies to all those who fell in defence of freedom, no matter what nationality, race, or religion.

I for one, say, Thank you for your service. We will remember them.

Well said!  I certainly will never forget the brave men I was honored to serve with especially those who died from their wounds!

Having said that I want to add Happy Marine Corps Birthday to all the Marines and a prayer for a peaceful and Happy Veterans Day to all who serve/d and to the families that wait/ed for them!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.