Another Flawless Update

Mine kept looping on the DC3 files - I quit the sim, deleted my Temp files, rebooted the sim and they finally downloaded. Now downloading the World Updates in Content Manager and Oh Boy! This must be the most thorough update yet - a very, VERY impressive Release Notes list this time!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I took the same approach when it was decompressing files for the DC3.  After hours without movement, I decided to eat lunch before taking more drastic action.  When I finished eating, it had moved on to decompressing the next file. I'll let it work at its own pace, but at this rate it should finish up sometime Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Doing the larger slow files first and making lots o cups of tea!!

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

This tread, and all the 2020 treads, are being weighted into my decision of when to purchase 2020 or possibly 2024.

I know that a "normal" MS Windows update on my laptop with a standard HD takes between 2-4 hours; on my laptop with a SSHD between 15-20 minutes or faster.

Does this hold true with the 2020 users? HD = long update times, SSHD = short update times?

Just wondering if there is a correlation between HD type and update times.

Thank you,

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

19 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

This tread, and all the 2020 treads, are being weighted into my decision of when to purchase 2020 or possibly 2024.

I know that a "normal" MS Windows update on my laptop with a standard HD takes between 2-4 hours; on my laptop with a SSHD between 15-20 minutes or faster.

Does this hold true with the 2020 users? HD = long update times, SSHD = short update times?

Just wondering if there is a correlation between HD type and update times.

Thank you,

Any time you're writing files to a drive, an SSD will be faster. The more data, the bigger the difference. Having said that, the bigger issue people run into here is likely to do with their connection to the MS content servers, the servers themselves (ie. what bandwidth limits does MS have in place, among other things) and/or how the sim processes those updates on the local machine.

3 minutes ago, loki said:

the bigger issue people run into here is likely to do with their connection to the MS content servers, ...... and/or how the sim processes those updates on the local machine.

Ok, I understand the connectivity speed, but please explain the local machine matter at the end of your sentences. TY

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

51 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Ok, I understand the connectivity speed, but please explain the local machine matter at the end of your sentences. TY

Don't know if this helps....the local machine is the end user, or you, for that matter.  It depends on all of the extras you have downloaded and installed for you Sim.   Every site the members are complaining about how long this update is taking and now I'm seeing posts about when they try to start the Sim after the upgrade finishes,  it's redoing the entire upgrade again.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

The sim needs to decompress and install the patches after they are downloaded. For some reason, with this update on my machine, it gets hung up on the decompressing stage. Not sure what it's doing as it doesn't appear to be doing anything in when looking at the Task manager. Previous updates have downloaded and installed with no trouble, similar to Nels and others' experiences. Pausing the download and restarting the sim seems to have fixed it, but it hasn't finished yet. Sometimes it's better to wait until the day after the update is released, or let it run overnight while you sleep too.

And just to be clear on the internet connection, it isn't just the speed of your personal internet connection that matters. There are plenty of other places along the way that can affect your download too.

Just on 16 minutes from switching on to ready to play.  There is an advantage sometimes to being up and about while the other side of the world is sound asleep.  🙂 

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

7 hours ago, loki said:

the bigger issue people run into here is likely to do with their connection to the MS content servers, the servers themselves (ie. what bandwidth limits does MS have in place, among other things)

MS has all the computer tech in the world, they have much of the money in the world, yet they have proven incapable of creating any "finished" product, much less an efficient update system for them;  a simple notepad replacement would require a dozen updates a month.  And this has fostered a generation of computer users who will absolutely refuse to use any software that hasn't been updated within the past six months (without considering the reason it hasn't been updated is perhaps it doesn't need to be updated).  Now if all these updates could be done efficiently, or if there were only updates every few weeks, it would be no problem;  but no, you can download, install, and be using a 1gig program in less time than it takes MS to install a 50meg update ...and within a few days there will be yet another update.

Ages ago I tired of Vista's constant nagging of "new updates are available!" every few minutes, so disabled its auto-update (after being nagged for a week so finally shut down my work and told it "go do your *&#^%& update and shut up about it"; over an hour later it had finished a measly 17meg update and I was back at the desktop ....before I could even get back to work there was a pop-up, "new updates are available!").  From then on, through Win7, I've kept auto-updates disabled;  once a month I would initiate an update  before going to bed.  (Still use W7 on two desktops, updated via the Simplix patch;  not concerned with the intrusive security of later windows, I do a full backup up of each system to external USB drives once a month, and incremental backups as needed to flashdrives.  At my age I figure I will expire before W7 does.)

A major reason I never never got on the bandwagon for Win10 or later was hearing of their marathon, hours long, "updates" and the fact you could no longer disable auto-updates.  So your W10 or W11 system can interrupt you at any time and demand to start an update, which can take the rest of the day.  Dealbreaker.

Since XP every new OS has removed more and more end-user options (I suspect at some point you may, possibly, be allowed to change your wallpaper ...and will have to endure endless pop-ups, "desktop wallpaper has been changed!  Click here to restore default.").  But MS has never shown any consideration for its customers;  they remove things that people like, add things people do not like, and ignore any comments from the end users (or blow them off with "that's the way we designed it" replies).  Years ago, despite the outcry from millions of users, they dumped hotmail and the MSN groups.  They have become this powerful by monopolizing the market and squelching all competition.  If there were a viable alternative to windows which would run the software I want, the only thing MS on my system would be FS2004.

Just my opinion of course.  End of soapbox.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments assisting me to understand the considerations for MSFS 2020.

Might just give it a little more time and wait to see what MS 2024 has to offer.

For now I'll just surreptitiously enjoy  seeing everyone's pics and discussions.

phrog x 2.jpg

As I'm known to some family and friends as an early Reiser (budreiser that is), I got the stalled DL from yesterday re-going at 5 a.m. CDT. It finished just shy of 9. As others mentioned above, start it and go do something else, maybe grow some crops. Now I'm trying to DL Oceania & Antartica, which Content Manager said wasn't installed but I swear it was. An 8.67 GB file. It gets as far at 5.81 GB and goes back down to 5.31. It did the same thing yesterday. Why this is happening is beyond my comprehension, but it never happened in the past. Always DL'd these updates without a prob. This stinks on ice.  

• Like 1

@budreiser  you just have to wait for a quiet time, it will happen, mine did the same so I got up in the middle of the night and everything downloaded fast.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

At present, all is well. But, Columbo (Peter Falk) use to say something about a little tidbit of something or other that bothered him and I feel the same about this. I can't remember the exact wording, but while trying to DL the new update, a little blurb in the overall black panel stated that I could install now, or get it later in the Marketplace. My question, how could I get to the Marketplace when that wasn't an option? 

• Like 1

I'm having zero negative issues running Windows 11, I have auto-update set to run at about 2:00a.m. This recent update was kinda slow yesterday, but I am certain it had to do with a bazillion  fellow users hitting their servers at the same time at prime time. I too let it run while I attended to my dinner prep and eating of same. The download was competed by the time my tummy was full.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx