New Forum Software

Adrian K

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

All I want to know is what happened to the roughly 2,000 posts I was credited for in the 13 years I've been a Member of this Site? Everybody else got to keep theirs...

Same here, I'm currently showing about half the pre-sale total.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jgf said:

Same here, I'm currently showing about half the pre-sale total.

Same!  Missing several thousand !  @Baron Fritz all of the flightsim forum sites state that in their rules section.  This is considered a "benevolent dictatorship".

• Like 1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

16 minutes ago, Baron Fritz said:

so .... free speech is what "somebody else" says it is. By some remarkable coincidence, I have a fair amount of experience in that area.

Thanks for pointing that out Zippy!

Me too...... My ex used to say "Choose your next words carefully" with a deadly look lol  

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Thanks for the Replies! Looks like the folks whom I thought hadn't lost any did indeed lose some!

I was just curious about why those posts were 'deleted' in the first place; a number of them were Screenshots so I guess I shouldn't be surprised... fair enough. 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, Baron Fritz said:

so .... free speech is what "somebody else" says it is. By some remarkable coincidence, I have a fair amount of experience in that area.

Thanks for pointing that out Zippy!

You might note that the "free speech" section of  the U.S. constitution describes what the government may or may not do or control about our speech, and does not require that anybody is allowed to say anything they want any time and any place -- that would mean chaos or worse. But it does strongly restrict what rules the government may put into effect concerning speech. Of course yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater isn't allowed, for obvious reasons.

So consider that this forum (and the many other places with various restrictions) are private spaces whose speech restrictions are not governed by our constitution, though there are laws that have certain effects.

In point of fact, certain kinds of comments could get the forum in trouble with the government (hate speech, etc.). In addition, the forum owners want to keep this area civil and, for the most part, related to aviation in some way, so they have put a few basic rules into place. And please note that this forum's rules do NOT dictate what you may do or say in any other case than here on the forum (their private property), so please don't equate it with what happens from restrictive governments -- 'taint the same, not even close.

I better stop now, but I just don't want you confused about the subject.

• Like 3

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

When I click on an entry in the list of threads in a forum, I am automatically directed to the latest post. Can I set somewhere that I automatically go to the first entry? I actually always like to read the starting point of the discussion first.

1 hour ago, oglitsch said:

When I click on an entry in the list of threads in a forum, I am automatically directed to the latest post. Can I set somewhere that I automatically go to the first entry? I actually always like to read the starting point of the discussion first.

From what I can see, it should take you to the first "Unread by you" post in that topic/thread.  I would think if you have been following a thread for some time, you wouldn't need to start at the first post and re-read all they way through again.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• 1 month later...

SUGGESTION:

When you view a list of the latest posts in any forum section, the title of any unread post is slightly bolder than it would be otherwise. On my screen (maybe others see it differently) the difference is barely discernible.

Would it be possible to highlight unread posts using a different colour, or maybe using a "New" icon of some sort alongside? Nothing dazzling or tacky required, just maybe dark blue text or a little red dot.

Best regards,

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

5 hours ago, johnhinson said:

Would it be possible to highlight unread posts using a different colour, or maybe using a "New" icon of some sort alongside? Nothing dazzling or tacky required, just maybe dark blue text or a little red dot.

I do like the idea of having higher visibility of new posts. I start each day pointing to the Activities tab at the upper right of the FlightSim page. Then I select Unread Content and peruse all the comments. When finished reading everything I wish to, I go to the bottom right of the page and click on √ Mark site read to clear any I did not wish to read.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess it's time to go. I have been a member since 1996 or so, and used to come here every day. Now, this is the first time I've been here in a month or so. Sorry, Nels, but IMHO you have completely ruined the site and I probably won't be back. I'm sure no one out there really cares, but I thought you should know.

Thanks for the memories, though.

MSgt, USAF, Retired

9 minutes ago, MSgt said:

IMHO you have completely ruined the site

MSgt, There have been months of discussions on the plusses and minuses, and the reasons behind the site change. I for one would like to know your thoughts and constructive input. I never knew the Air Force to just give up and run. Thanks.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

MSgt, this Vietnam Vet says thank you for your service.

As to the rest - Nels is no longer in charge here, so take him off yer fecal roster please. You suggest that no one will truly care if you leave or stay? I suspect in that you are correct.

The GREAT thing about life is that it is a series of choices. You get to make yours, I get to make mine etc. and we all get to live with the consequences of those choices. I kinda like it here and plan on staying.

• Like 1

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

There have been months of discussions on the plusses and minuses, and the reasons behind the site change.

I understand the  reasons, but they  are irrelevant to how I feel about the changes.

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I never knew the Air Force to just give up and run.

This isn't a combat situation, so I don't feel too bad about it. One either likes something, or they don't. I don't. The only reason I posted as I did was so the powers that be (not Nels, apparently) know that their changes were not appreciated by everyone. A quick search shows that I'm not the only one.

That said, for all those who like the changes, I'm happy for you. Enjoy!

Out.

• Like 1
MSgt, USAF, Retired

I'm not happy with losing another vet, but I respect MSgt's opinion. Aim High (so no one get's hurt).

phrog x 2.jpg

17 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I'm not happy with losing another vet, but I respect MSgt's opinion. Aim High (so no one get's hurt).

Er, we lose ALL `Vets` in the end.

It's the Circle of Life.

Sorry to see you go MSgt, but are you still capable of having an opinion?

If I were the operator of this website and received so much negative feedback, I would seriously consider using a different software. At least one that comes with a search function that lives up to its name. Especially with such a complex file library, a search function that can be adapted to the needs is essential.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, oglitsch said:

If I were the operator of this website

To me at least, that is the point, you are not the operator of this site. The owners of this site have made changes that they feel are a benefit, along with the very serious need to update the program structure for the site. We as users must make our own decision as to whether to use this site or not. For example, I rarely use Simviation due to its old structure of endless lists and no user interaction. That is my choice, as I know others who find that site more to their liking. At this point into the changeover of FlightSim the owners are well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the new format. Perhaps if they were a bit more informative to the users, with planned changes, or at least what requests are being considered for inclusion, it might go a long way to salve the concerns being voiced. So use this site, or don't use this site. That is each of our own choice. Or jump into the fray with your own site, and receive your own complains. It's a free market.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, oglitsch said:

If I were the operator of this website and received so much negative feedback, I would seriously consider using a different software. At least one that comes with a search function that lives up to its name. Especially with such a complex file library, a search function that can be adapted to the needs is essential.

Then people would find something else to complain about. You can't please all people, all of the time.

• Like 3
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Growing pains.  I know not how many people are working on this, but given that this site is 25 years old that is an extraordinary amount of files, threads, reviews, articles, etc. to be dealt with.

My major concern now is not directly with this site but with the interaction of the rest of the internet with it.  For whatever reason all links to threads, downloads, most anything else are no longer valid;  so when searching for anything FS I ignore all links to flightsim.com as most will merely get that "Oops, we can't find that" page.  (Even with an actual file name a search here often reports "0 files found".)

• Like 1