New Forum Software

Adrian K

Of course I am willing to give this new software a reasonable time to be developed and improved.

But in my earlier post in this thread I raised my main pet peeves. With the old software - secure or not - I could go directly to the areas that interested me in seconds, short and sweet. I could easily search for what I wanted. Of course, again, it's a question of unlearning old habits and getting used to new ones, BUT I do not want to get news for MSFS in my face every time I open the site.

Jorgen

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JSkorna said:

You don't have to if you know how to use a bookmark. You can bookmark the exact page you want to see when you come here.

And where can I find such a bookmark?

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

1 hour ago, Flattermann said:

And where can I find such a bookmark?

spacer.png

Here's where you can find your existing bookmarks in Microsoft Edge (other browsers are basically the same).

To create a new one, go to the webpage you want to save, right-click on the browser favourites bar and select "Add this page to favourites" or press Ctrl+D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

On 2/1/2023 at 10:59 PM, jorgen.s.andersen said:

Of course I am willing to give this new software a reasonable time to be developed and improved.

But in my earlier post in this thread I raised my main pet peeves. With the old software - secure or not - I could go directly to the areas that interested me in seconds, short and sweet. I could easily search for what I wanted. Of course, again, it's a question of unlearning old habits and getting used to new ones, BUT I do not want to get news for MSFS in my face every time I open the site.

Jorgen

Hey, Jorgen!  Looks like they have split the Home page (with the MSFS News and Nel's corner) and Now have a separate Forums page.  I just redid my "favorites" and now go directly to the forums.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Another issue I hope can be corrected is that internet searches linking to threads here now just open the main page, not the thread itself, so not very useful.

As for the new look, maybe it's an interim ... plain white rectangles on a plain grey background ...very drab.   Perhaps just a background image of the sky (no airplanes, everyone would have a different opinion of which to use).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jgf said:

As for the new look, maybe it's an interim ... plain white rectangles on a plain grey background ...very drab.   Perhaps just a background image of the sky (no airplanes, everyone would have a different opinion of which to use).

I just change the theme!  Now looks like AVSIM! 😀

Screenshot 2023-02-06 10.47.33 AM.jpg

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

WOW love the new updated look. it took a bit to find where the featured articles are located that came in a promo email was, but i got there without too much drama. Looking forward to travelling around the site and discovering

new things.

• Founder
18 hours ago, jgf said:

Another issue I hope can be corrected is that internet searches linking to threads here now just open the main page, not the thread itself, so not very useful.

If you think about how that works, you'll see that the Internet is at fault for this 🙂

The problem is that the new site is arranged differently than before...the information is still here, but the page URL's have changed. The search engines have indexed the old site that does not exist any more. Eventually they should start to index the new site and this problem will resolve itself.

• Like 1

Ok, let's give it a new try...

So I looked for the old stuff from the "Cook Islands"...  Still no "zip-dive", no good screenshots (like before) and no satisfieing information about the files available.

Flightsim.com ist still totally worthless! Horrorable!

But... great with good download speed - but if you don't find anything to download - what's it worth it?

Dedl

• Like 1

Glad to see most of the ole gang here. I'll reserve comment on the new software until the growing pangs are worked out.  It's obviously a step in a necessary direction.  Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but since most comments center around file searches and downloads, might I inquire as if there will be a mention of the file size in the top posting of the potential download file? Many patrons still have to judiciously manage their storage space.  Just a thought. As aged as I am, I found the site ultimately navigable and not as daunting as some would make it appear. The behind the scenes workers have a tremendous undertaking relocating the vast old "site". They deserve a break and some time. Remember, this software is new to them as well.. Blue skies...  

• Like 3

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Tested the search function of the new software

Searched "Titch" - found nothing.

Searched "Titchfield" - found Titchfield Abbey scenery

Searched "Titch*" - found Titchfield Abbey again.

(string always without the "")

So search seems to be a "full word" search, but placeholders work.

Maybe others knew already - but for me it was an unknown feature.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

2 hours ago, grimsel said:

Maybe others knew already

Thanks grimsel, good to know the wildcard * works.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, douga66 said:

I'm sorry but I am still having a terrible time finding ai base models on here now. Using the file name xxxx.zip does not work which is insane. Any database should have direct file names indexed. I hope this is fixed.

I fully agree. A filename which I know to exist is found in comments and articles a.s.o - but the actual file is not found.

• Like 1

Please accept my apology if this question has already been answered.... but, is there a way to view content of files before downloading?  If so, I've missed it.  For example, if I'm looking for a new livery for an aircraft with CFM engines or a specific model.... unless that detail is provided in the title or brief description, apparently we have to download the file to see what's in it?!?  I've had to dump more than a few things I can't use.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, Steverino said:

Please accept my apology if this question has already been answered.... but, is there a way to view content of files before downloading?  If so, I've missed it.  For example, if I'm looking for a new livery for an aircraft with CFM engines or a specific model.... unless that detail is provided in the title or brief description, apparently we have to download the file to see what's in it?!?  I've had to dump more than a few things I can't use.  Thank you.

As far as I know, you are right. The new lay-out leaves more responsibility with the file owners, for example to provide all relevant information/links/screenshots. And that is something still to be learned and get accustomed to.

Some files got misplaced. If you browse for example the download categories, you find "liveries" only for MSFS (which is an empty category) and X-Plane. I am 100% sure, there are many more for all FS versions. I do not know if this is something, the relevant owners can correct. When some of my scenery was initially misplaced, Adrian K (admin) corrected it for me. But it was my task to provide him with the necessary information. And then Adrian corrected it within a few days.

• Founder

What has happened over the years is that concept of how a file repository works has changed. When FlightSim.Com was founded in 1996, and was essentially followed by all the "me too" sites that copied our features, the file area was run as a library, where authors submitted their work and a librarian organized and cataloged it. The result was a consistency in the catalog listings and in the categories they were organized into.

In recent years, this has fallen out of favor, as file creators demand control. They want their files to appear online immediately, have their description and pictures, and it must be possible for them, the authors, to edit and make updates whenever they want. So this is the system that newer file repositories have used, and where this site is now going.

Which system is better? Well I'm sure everyone has an opinion, but having the better system does you no good if it means creators won't upload to you so ultimately the file creators decide.

Is there a possible format for naming uploads that might help in searches? Such as "FS Version - Name - Complete/Repaint/Textures/Paint Kit/Etc" 

Want to make it easy for people to find our works. Thx

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.