FPS Boost on high end PC?

TheChugster

I have just bought a Ryzen 9, 32GB, 2080Ti pc, but running at 1440p, with settings set around 3/4 i cant get over 50fps.

Is this an issue with FSX or do i have something set wrong? I know about the DX10 fix (that you have to pay for, which is stupid) but is there anything else I can do to boost my FPS for free...or should I just get a more modern sim like XP11 or P3D?

Oh and i do have FS2020 but there arent any military planes out for it yet...and who knows if/when they might release a Phantom

Edited by TheChugster

FSX is not like other typical games. There is a tremendous amount of computation going on to calculate aircraft speed, position, attitude and more, plus all AI traffic, boat and car traffic and MUCH more, plus loading and displaying a world of scenery (not pre-computed), AND the CPU also handles the bulk of the display calculations, with only small help from the GPU.

So 50 fps is absolutely GREAT, if that is smooth and consistent in most areas.

P3D has a lot of enhancements, and the GPU does a great deal of the display work, unlike FSX, so I'd expect a bit better experience there, but still not a lot more FPS.

So no, you're doing nothing wrong -- a true flight simulator is MUCH more demanding on a system than a game is.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

FSX is not like other typical games. There is a tremendous amount of computation going on to calculate aircraft speed, position, attitude and more, plus all AI traffic, boat and car traffic and MUCH more, plus loading and displaying a world of scenery (not pre-computed), AND the CPU also handles the bulk of the display calculations, with only small help from the GPU.

It's less that FSX is not like other games because it's a sim, and far more to do with it being designed around single core processors running at speeds that still haven't materialized (once upon a time Intel was talking about 5-10 GHz CPUs). Other games, such as Crysis, that were released at the same time had the same issue when the CPU world made a hard right turn towards multiple cores. Having said that, 50 FPS is pretty good for FSX. P3D should do better, though probably not by a significant margin.

I want to know what motherboard (ie: chipset) you are using.
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Chugster,

Start by getting through your head that this is not an FPS-chasing arcade game, but a simulation of the planet, where smoothness is what you are aiming for.

Then go here to optimize your settings:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

And, just in case you still want to pursue FPS-chasing, go here:

https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/20/the-sense-and-nonsense-of-fps/

Jorgen

Chugster,

Start by getting through your head that this is not an FPS-chasing arcade game, but a simulation of the planet, where smoothness is what you are aiming for.

Then go here to optimize your settings:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

And, just in case you still want to pursue FPS-chasing, go here:

https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2014/03/20/the-sense-and-nonsense-of-fps/

Jorgen

50 fps is MORE than enough. Why chase excess?

Hi.

You may want to try these settings. I do not know what version you have, I have the Gold version running in 4K and I get anywhere between 80-200, in Unlimited, depending on the Settings, location, configuration view... This system is I7 8700 @4.6 16GB, GTX1070

If you are serious about staying with FSX try to get some Ortho scenery first, there is program called FS Earth Tile that you can use it to create your own, is what you see in my display, that I generated some 10 years ago with a night overlay.

If you really want to go psychedelic try the Bloom setting in 4k around Sunset / Sunrise. I also included the .cfg file and Settings pic with what I use. It does not help much to go all highest settings, what I have selected gives a good rendering and very smooth performance, you may want to leave it Unlimited to start out with then lock it to some value later.

Post here for more info.

From everything I've seen to date this is still the best sim on the market. I am not familiar with P3D if it's the same core with 64bit that may be better, others can chime in.

FSX109SSetInCpit16.jpg

FSX220OutSSet16.jpg

FSX-Setgs-16x12.jpg

fsx.CFG.use.txt

KSNA19rDsk172.jpg

Edited by flytv1

Jorgen,

Excellent information... thank you for sharing...Makes it so clear what many have been saying all along... Terry

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Mallcott is right, 50 FPS is more than enough.

30 is a nice, rounded figure.

Jorgen

Has anyone been to a movie theater in the last 50 or so years? They seem to work very well at less than 50fps. In fact as of the last I heard it was about 35fps. To me shooting for 50fps or more is just spending money searching for bragware.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The 50 and 60 Hz are screen refresh rates. In most cases, the media being transmitted is actually only playing at 24 FPS.

Similarly a computer's screen refresh rate and a program's frame rate are often different.

In my case, my laptop is set to refresh the screen at 40 FPS (Hz) and my desktop at 60 FPS; but, the frame rate, rate of change, for FSX is whatever I set it at. The screen refresh rate is still the 40 or 60.

Some find FSX runs smoothly with the frame rate set at one half the computer screen's refresh rate.

Edited by Ray Hff
spelling

The 50 and 60 Hz are screen refresh rates. In most cases, the media being transmitted is actually only playing at 24 FPS.

On videos it's as Jorgen says, 30 (actually 29.97 for NTSC to avoid "dot crawl") fps with the line freq at 60 Hz, and 25 fps where the line freq is 50 Hz for interlaced video, but the 720p and 1080p (with 60 Hz line freq) are at 59.94 fps. This creates a problem for showing movie film to get them copied without flicker. After all, the 8mm and Super 8 mm movies were at 18 fps, and 16 mm and 35 mm are normally at the 24 fps that you mention. Fortunately they have developed techniques to minimize/eliminate that problem. Even some higher end camcorders can be run at 24 fps vs the normal 30.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!