How do you keep FSX interesting?

Hi Folks,

Mountain flying in unpressurized aircraft without oxygen - as it forces you to pick your routes carefully... I just found out A2A models hypoxia - so if you don't respect real world limitations - it could kill you... Realistically - you should plan on keeping 12.5 and below - even if your plane is capable of flying higher - also keep in mind some people are more susceptible to hypoxia than others...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said! for some reason above 7,000ASL we were required to don parachutes while flying choppers. However no one ever considered the fact we might need oxygen as well!

Have you ever thought about jumping out of a chopper with a parachute? You'd be damned lucky if you weren't diced and sliced like a piece of ham by your own rotor blades!! Sorry, even at 7,000' I'll ride it down!!!! I don't want to contaminate several square miles with my own blood!!!:rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Speaking of oxygen, the passengers and crew of this airliner all blacked out and it crashed killing everybody on board. One flight attendant survived longer by using spare oxygen bottles, but as he didn't know how to fly the plane, he could only ride it down as it continued on autopilot full of dead people.

Greek Air Force jets look it over to find out why it isn't answering ATC-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-stelios_zpshxue8wof.jpg~original

The cause was a combination of ground maintenance engineer error, (they'd forgotten to close an airtight seal), pilot error (they missed seeing a warning light), and aircraft instrumentation design error (the warning light should have been accompanied by a loud klaxon).

As the plane climbed, the passengers oxygen masks dropped but even then the pilots didn't put two and two together to realise what was happening.

Amazingly the system was poorly thought out, it was designed to only drop the passengers oxygen masks, not the pilots, so the pilots blacked out.

The passengers of course died when their oxygen ran out.

VID- https://youtu.be/tptOpJKFb1w

Wow! After that downer Ghost Plane post, I had to do something happy! So I flew over the woods as discussed in a poster's request about scenery info.

I love flying to places like VTCH in Thailand that I'd probably never think to fly near if I didn't read about them this forum!! I have vague memories of RW flights over parts of Thailand but we were so busy looking for mortars, traces of the Ho Chi Minh Trail, etc. that I never really noticed how pretty the scenery there was.

FUEL and PAYLOAD WEIGHTS

Open a flight and access via the top menu bar Aircraft> Fuel and Payload.

Juggling the figures for fun makes planes heavier or lighter, and also also affects the centre of gravity (the black/white ball moves accordingly in the diagrams) which also affects handling.

If you overload a plane a red text warning comes up but you can (gulp) ignore it and take on the challenge of making it fly anyway.

(for example Kingsford Smith only managed to coax the grossly fuel-overloaded Southern Cross into the air on his 4th attempt at Barking Sands, Hawaii for the leg to Fiji)

The settings don't auto-save, they revert to default when you exit a flight.

For example these are the default Beech Baron figures-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Airc-Fuel-Payl2_zpszdl6arv6.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Airc-Fuel-Payload1_zpsppyovbqo.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-Airc-Fuel_payl3_zpssycsbz9v.jpg~original

Just a note: I have seen planes where the black/white circle sits up at the very front tip of the model they use and doesn't move, because of the way they put their reference points into the W&B section of hte aircraft.cfg.

So be careful, that isn't an infallible reference point for CG calculations.

Just so you know.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The great "Nirvana" for FS seems to be flying the plane without ever touching either the keyboard or the mouse. Unfortunately, this requires either a huge investment in hardware and/or a lot of study about things like FSUIPC, LINDA,etc.

One of the cheaper things I found recently - a used copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator for Pilots -= Real World Training by Jeff Van West and Kevin Lane-Cummings. Found the book used (in great shape) on Amazon. It's over 700 pages and just chock-full of tips and techniques of how to learn flying by using Flight Simulator. Although the book was written specifically for FSX, it is applicable to just about anything *close* to FSX.

Amazingly, for a book published in 2007, the references to a web site with files available for download still work! There are "scenarios" and videos out the ying-yang available for free download.

I've been simming seriously since back in the mid-90s (with a recent 10-year layoff!) and this is the best book I've ever seen.

Personally, although I've flown dozens of different planes over the years, I have three or four I really like and fly most of the time - over 3,100 hours at moment. How else do I spice things up?

(1) pretend I've won the lottery and can go anywhere I want to go in my LearJet. Fly to places I've either always wanted to go to or fly somewhere to visit people I know from my past.

(2) Fly some of my favorite planes in IFR situations, often trying to fly the whole thing manually instead of either FSNav or FSCommander doing everything with the autopilot.

(3) Fly a Stearman - no autopilot and not much of anything else - you really do have to know how to fly to get from point A to point B!

(4) Built a home-brew switchbox and, using a lot of FSUIPC and a keyboard encoder, fly a lot with manual starts and almost 100% hands-off the keyboard.

Unfortuantely, my favorite turbo-prop (Flight1 PC-12) still has gobs and gobs of mouse clicks - I haven't yet been able to program things to overcome the mouse use, but I'm working on it!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL (I was living in Rocky Mount, NC when things got serious back in the 90s)

Hey Art, Welcome Aboard!

You just cost me $7.00!:cool: I bought a copy of the book you recommended, in fact the last one listed in "great" condition for $3.00 plus shipping. That's not more than some people pay for a cup of coffee!:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

All they changed, really, is some of the FSX.CFG file entries. And where, in the Steam folder structure it's hidden.

It's just FSX Gold + Acceleration. Or is Accel included in Gold? I don't know. I never had FSX, just FSX-SE. I know it's FSX, SP1, SP2, and Acceleration, all together, so you don't have add things in. It's basicaly FSX Total, I guess you could call it.

It does seem to run better than what I've read about on these forums, overall, less CTD's, BSOD's etc., but that's probably the FSX.CFG changes they include.

Other than that, it and FSX Boxed are pretty much the same. IMO, it's well worth the $5.00 price tag it has during sales, of which there are many. If for no other reason than Boxed is hard to find, CD's get scratched, dirty, what have you. If you have them both, you have an emergency back up :D

Does that answer your question Ghembree?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

All they changed, really, is some of the FSX.CFG file entries.

It is actually a bit more complicated than some .cfg tweaks.

Several known bugs were fixed, multiplayer was updated to the Steam system as the original FSX system no longer works.

All of the .dll files were recompiled with newer VS libraries to help take advantage of newer hardware.

FSX:SE also eliminates the product registration hassles that many have encountered with FSX:Boxed.

Installing and reinstalling with Steam is basically a one-click task.

More than just lipstick on a pig.

And where, in the Steam folder structure it's hidden.

Not hidden at all, if you now where to look, or how to search. Or how to read the registry.

It's just FSX Gold + Acceleration. Or is Accel included in Gold? I don't know. I never had FSX, just FSX-SE. I know it's FSX, SP1, SP2, and Acceleration, all together, so you don't have add things in. It's basicaly FSX Total, I guess you could call it.

Acceleration is included in Gold, which is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.

As separate entities, SP1 and SP2 do not exist in FSX+Acceleration.

Let's not confuse anyone into thinking you need to add the SPs before you add Acceleration.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Acceleration is included in Gold, which is FSX Deluxe + Acceleration.

As separate entities, SP1 and SP2 do not exist in FSX+Acceleration.

Let's not confuse anyone into thinking you need to add the SPs before you add Acceleration.

peace,

the Bean

Good point Mr. Bean! I have read a lot of confusion on that issue! Having FSX Gold I didn't know that answer till now. Thanks! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, another four-year old query: But aren't we all are still searching for the answer?

Yes Grasshopper, we are all still searching for The Answer! And when we die those who follow will probably still be searching for The Answer!:rolleyes:

Could we survive that Doctor?

strangloveb2.jpg

"Well let's see now....ah...cobalt thorium G.....radioactive half-life of uh,... hmm.... it would not be difficult, I would not rule out the chance to preserve a nucleus of human specimens. It would be quite easy at the bottom of some of our deeper mineshafts.

The radioactivity would never penetrate a mine some thousands of feet deep. And in a matter of weeks, sufficient improvements in dwelling space could easily be provided."

How long would we have to stay down there?

"I would think that uh possibly one hundred years."

You mean, people could actually stay down there for a hundred years?

"It would not be difficult mein Fuhrer! Nuclear reactors could, heh... I'm sorry. Mr. President...Nuclear reactors could provide power almost indefinitely. Greenhouses could maintain plantlife. Animals could be bred and slaughtered.

A quick survey would have to be made of all the available mine sites in the country. But I would guess... that ah, dwelling space for several hundred thousands of our people could easily be provided."

• 2 weeks later...
I keep it interesting by keeping busy - tinkering with the settings in search of that elusive spot where it both looks decent and runs!
My name is Erick Westbrook-Cantu. I used to make flightsim addons. I may or may not endorse this message. I do, however, fully endorse Marshall amplifiers, Gibson guitars, and Tama drums.
"This town is a dump. I'm never going to Las Vegas again." -Adam Donald Stanger: 1986-2015

I keep it interesting by keeping busy - tinkering with the settings in search of that elusive spot where it both looks decent and runs!

Great Eric!! Based on what you've done in the past, I'm sure your tinkering is state of the art! Perhaps you could honor us with some of your results??:cool:

BTW: I'd add Schilke Cornets and Selma Saxes (alto, tenor & baritone) to your list of endorsements. Though for great Soprano Sax IMHO you can't beat a Monique!:cool: :cool:

I'm even like to play the Conn Four Valve Double Bell Euphonium at a gig. It gives you the sound of a Baritone Horn plus a Trombone on one instrument. (Handy when you don't to bring too many horns to a gig!!!) Although I still love playing a Trombone, and frankly I can't say I prefer one trombone over another!! You can't slide notes with a Double Bell Euphonium,

After playing for forty+ years to often fill out a three guitar & a drummer band on "big gigs," I'm still fond of the sounds I can make, without amps or other enhancements!:)