How do you keep FSX interesting?

Some great ideas there cw5301, good luck in Nam..:)

Charlie vs US air-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/CharlievUSAF.jpg

US air vs Charlie-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos/F-4-bomb.jpg

You've probably already seen the index to this thread on page 42, but just to remind members, here are some interesting flights for possible recreation-

p5- Earhart's last flight.

p8- California to Hawaii Dole air race.

p25-Flight 19 final flight route.

p34- Kingsford Smith trans-Pacific flight.

PS- Regarding Earhart, there are plenty of theories, my reading is she was flying into the rising sun as she approached Howland, so if there was any haze about she could have flown past the island by just a few miles without seeing it in the glare.

Baker island is 43 miles to the SSE so I supposed there's a possibility she could have stumbled on it and landed/crashlanded/ditched there, but Gardner is a whopping 405 miles SSE from Howland and I can't envisage a scenario that would put her right down there, but then I'm not a real-world pilot so what the heck do I know..:)

PS- what do you make of the loss of Flight 19? My take is that the flight leader saw some islands that were dead ringers for the Florida keys 100 miles away which made him become fixated with the erroneous belief that he was over the keys and that his compass was seriously off and he became totally disoriented from that point on.

Thanks Mick! I really needed to see that "Charlie" shot on Veterans Day!! :( Makes me feel like I'm right back there.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks Mick! I really needed to see that "Charlie" shot on Veterans Day!! :( Makes me feel like I'm right back there.

What did you do in Nam mate?

One of my favourites planes is the Skyraider, here's an FS2004/FSX freeware one which I've got-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier-A1-b_zps2cf912ed.jpg~original

And here's a real one in action in 1966-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub1/nam-66.jpg

Hey Mick,

I flew CH-34s and CH-46s in the Marine Corps. That's when I got so messed up I couldn't RW fly again.

Fascinating, but what messed you up?

I just ran a File Search and found these two CH46's for FSX but I couldn't find a CH-43 for FSX.

FSX-CH-46.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

However I found these two CH-43's for FS2004, but they're called by the British name 'Wessex'-

FS2004 Wessex CH-43.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know about anyone else in here, however, this is what I do to assist in flight simming hobby. To appease COMNAVHOMELANT (Commander, Naval Forces Home, Atlantic)...aka...the wife, I'll clean the room where the Flight Sim rig is located while at cruise ALT. Keeps the office clean and tidy, and passes the time as I watch clouds, and AI traffic roll by. Additionally, it knocks out some PMS on the rig by wiping the air intakes and filter screens to keep the dust and lint out of the rig.:D:D

LMAO! Yes, I think we all find times when RW requirements cut into our addiction. (I started to say hobby. But that's probably not strong enough.:p)

BTW: I got "messed up" by breaking my neck in a "hard landing" while under fire and, my bad, getting shot up in various places on my body during various flights in Vietnam.

Details apparently aren't important but the USMC decided I couldn't fly anymore. So they threw me out. And they never were concerned that I could never sire a child.

LMAO! Yes, I think we all find times when RW requirements cut into our addiction..

I'm retired, and computing is my RW, nothing else matters..:)

I never married because I never wanted to be a family man or have noisy smelly kids, it's bad enough when my nieces visit me with their toddlers and I have to go through the usual checklist before they arrive-

Hide all sharp objects to stop getting stabbed in the leg again.

Hide scissors to stop my computer wiring being cut through.

Hide pencils and pens to stop them scrawling on my walls and books.

Remove everything from the fridge temporarily and put it on a high shelf so they can't sling eggs around or empty milk on the floor.

When they arrive sit in a hardback chair to protect my kidneys from karate kicks and punches.

Hide my computer and monitor to stop them pounding on the keys and leaving greasy fingerprints on the screen.

In fact the situation's got so bad just lately that I've stopped answering the door when they turn up, and lie low til they've gone..:)

Hey Mic

We all need to understand that FSX and many of those who try to be an answer to our concerns are sims! At some time we all must realize the world does go on despite our best efforts! to make it better.

On a suggestion from Scatterbrainedkid, I'll drop this link here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?302666-Celestial-Nav-and-Dead-Reckoning-Across-the-Ocean-to-a-Tiny-Atoll

It's a record of my first long, overwater attempt at using dead reckoning and a sextant to hit Johnston atoll. More long hops through the Pacific planned using only this kind of navigation. It's definitely been a fun new challenge. Eventually I'll try Aerhart's last flight.

It's funny, what brought me to flight sim was the PMDG 737 ngx; I used it for general scan / systems familiarity when transitioning to the real thing at work. Never expected to end up a hobbyist simmer, but there really is something magic about all this.

Lately, after recreating all of my airline's custom RNP approaches in southeast Alaska in the sim, a fascination with the area led me to the unbelievable freeware scenery from the Return to Misty Moorings folks, and then to flying the "tour" flights at the Alaska Adventures VA. The ORBX scenery, coupled with the RTMM locations, is mind blowing!

Made a video of some barnstorming aerobatics in the Alabeo Waco over a RTMM farm airstrip, and that was a fun new challenge too - videography. The flight itself was pure nostalgia since I used to teach in an old Stearman.

And now I'm groping my way across the Pacific in a DC-3.

This sim stuff really has been a fun way to occasionally pass some time - and genuinely learn some things - over the last couple years. I remain grateful to all the fantastic add on developers (and especially the freeware folks!) who continue to add new dimensions to this stuff.

Incidentally when we emulate flights we have to emulate the weather conditions too but they're not always known.

For example as Earheart approached Howland all we know for sure is that she was heading into the rising sun.

If there was haze about, the island was probably hidden in the glare especially if clouds were floating around too, and she could have missed seeing it by just a few miles.

And we don't know what winds she encountered earlier that may have shifted her off course.

Add-ons! Since May this year, I've been looking into freeware and payware add-ons to try get my FSX looking as realistic as I can physically get it to! The UK also gets a little bit more spent on it as I live here... 😊

As a whole, flying in an FSX that almost looks true-to-life is definitely keeping me playing! That and my little partnership with flightsim.com to which I absolutely love making reviews for! 😄

----------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel for more Simulator and Gaming content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/drawyahgames?sub_confirmation=1

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

Hi folks,

What do you do on FSX to keep things interesting? Fun addons? try different planes? practice non-normal procedures? do ATW trips? VatSim? FSPassenger? Missions? etc

I'm just trying to get ideas to keep FSX fresh.

Simple: I got rid of it and moved over to P3D and, eventually, X-Plane. Things are sure interesting now! ;)

Bill Alderson

Simple: I got rid of it and moved over to P3D and, eventually, X-Plane. Things are sure interesting now! ;)

Sorry about your loss!

I hope you didn't do anything permanent with your FSX software. The more time you put into P3D, the better FSX will appear.;)

As to X-Plane. Go to the FSX screen shot forum and see the recently posted comparisons of FSX and X-Plane using the same aircraft type and the same scenery location. It's under a tale of two sims.

Crisp and clear IMHO beats fuzzy and bland every time!:cool:

Michael

I've never owned P3D, so as a matter of interest can you tell us what (if anything) makes it better than FSX?

I had X-Plane 10 last year but didn't keep it, so as a matter of interest can you tell us if they've finally fixed the longstanding bug that made single-engine prop planes slowly develop a roll as if they've got no natural stability, as no amount of careful trimming would make the wings stay level.

Add-ons! Since May this year, I've been looking into freeware and payware add-ons to try get my FSX looking as realistic as I can physically get it to! The UK also gets a little bit more spent on it as I live here..

As a whole, flying in an FSX that almost looks true-to-life is definitely keeping me playing! That and my little partnership with flightsim.com to which I absolutely love making reviews for!..

----------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel for more Simulator and Gaming content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/drawyahgames?sub_confirmation=1

Hi, I live in the UK too, what are your favourite UK addons?

At the moment all I've got is southern england photoscenery.

If you want to have the full experience of being a pilot along with the lifecycle of damage to parts that reflects on the way you act upon the plane:

MAJESTIC DASH 8 Q400 PRO

It is almost too much for me! Not being a certified pilot and without a second officer, it is truly realistic

Bought my copy just recently, was on sale and on my wishlist for a while.

I would recommend the MJCQ400 to challenge any real pilot or experienced simmers out there..

I believe Manfred Jahn's C-47 has, at the least, engine damage built in, and all MSFS planes will take damage from overspeed, and things like that, if you have it turned on in the main menus.

Turning the Realism settings all the way up will also make things, well, more realistic :D

There is also an add-on gauge that is much like Mr. Jahn's engine damage gauge. I think it only works on DC-3 aircraft, but I've been wrong before. Often. Looking through the library, it would seem if you want that gauge, though, you have to dl Mr. Jahn's C-47 v2 to get it. I can't seem to find it separately at the moment...

Looking through the library, there seem to be similar gauges for most of the default planes, including the R44, C172, B58, and so on. Just do a search for "engine damage" (no quotes). You will be surprized how many big tubes have all sorts of damage modeled in too. Landing gear struts, flaps, the whole nine yards (and who remembers where that little phrase comes from?).

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi, I live in the UK too, what are your favourite UK addons?

At the moment all I've got is southern england photoscenery.

Hi Mick,

I don't live in the UK but both my wife and I are of Scot heritage and I still have cousins there. So we still go over on a pretty regular basis.

I really enjoy all the ORBX FTX software For England, Scotland and both Irelands. Which is sold in several pieces. :( I also have the "Big Airport Heathrow" & the London City scenery as well. I believe you've seen a few of my screenies from EGLC for example.

But my favorite UK addon scenery, naturally since we're Scots, is the Scot Flight series for ORBX FTX. They have several additional airport details, fair canal coverage including several not even shown in FSX or ORBX. And I really like the Loch Ness and other scenery they pack full of detail!

BTW: Knowing you're a photorreal fan I doubt you'd find much of interest in ORBX. But Scot Flight also has a version for those who don't use ORBX. In fact the ORBX version is very new. I already liked Scot Flight even before they came out with the ORBX version. However the newer ORBX version has even more detail than the non-Orbx version.:cool::cool: