Is it just us guys here?

I'm curious. There are many actual women pilots. Are there any MSFS pilots of the female persuasion among us? Or are we just a bunch of boys with our computer toys?
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I'm curious. There are many actual women pilots. Are there any MSFS pilots of the female persuasion among us? Or are we just a bunch of boys with our computer toys?

Lol.. I've wondered the same thing and assuming it's the latter. There are a couple of female pilot Youtubers out there, and one uses MSFS regularly for her episodes. So they exist. But women MSFS fans are probably an untapped market that Microsoft will hopefully take an interest in. :)

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

I know 2 ladies that love flying in DCS Combat World. They think what I do in MSFS 2020 is boring!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

meaning ladies rarely love aviation

most that get into pilot career are just chosing a profession and the most part they enjoy about and are proud of?

working in a traditional "men" job. Thats all their motive...to prove they can do it, to feel proud about their gender feminism, its just a job

no love for aviation or passion for old calssic jets of golden era, like we guys spend hours, days reading, collecting, etc

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Hi - my name is Randy - I'm 72, heterosexual, retired, overweight and under-loved. Looking for a good woman who owns an GA airplane to share my life and my life-long passion for aviation..... please send picture of airplane.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

When I flew FS2004 I use to exchange dialog with quiet a few ATC girls, and one very friendly ATC girl we use to have a good chat when I flew over Greenland... yep lots of females in FS.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

most that get into pilot career are just chosing a profession and the most part they enjoy about and are proud of?

working in a traditional "men" job. Thats all their motive...to prove they can do it, to feel proud about their gender feminism, its just a job

no love for aviation or passion for old calssic jets of golden era, like we guys spend hours, days reading, collecting, etc

This comment is complete rubbish and is probably a good explanation of exactly why women aren't flocking to flight sim forums to pursue simming as a hobby. I am not in the aviation world so I don't know as many people in it of either gender. But whenever I see a man pontificating about what he perceives women's "motivations" to be in other aspects of life, the ease with which to disprove such nonsense is comical.

The women I know in my profession, and also my other hobby in the music world, kick some serious ass and are rock stars.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Here's

She posts very helpful instructional (ad-supported) videos on YouTube. Her cat sometimes joins in. In one of her videos, she explains how to talk with ATC. In that video, she actually talks to a live ATC--in the sim. I think she uses an add-on called Pilotedge that connects her to a network of sim-connected real-life (retired) air traffic controllers who are somehow watching all the other simmers connected to them. I might try that someday--once I can at least flawlessly fly--and land--a Cessna 172.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

This comment is complete rubbish and is probably a good explanation of exactly why women aren't flocking to flight sim forums to pursue simming as a hobby. I am not in the aviation world so I don't know as many people in it of either gender. But whenever I see a man pontificating about what he perceives women's "motivations" to be in other aspects of life, the ease with which to disprove such nonsense is comical.

The women I know in my profession, and also my other hobby in the music world, kick some serious ass and are rock stars.

what you say is nonsense and by know means proves nothing

I am a darwinist observer of reality and reality is all i see

whos talking about music? music doesnt count because they do LOVE and are PASSIONATE about music

we re talking planes here

come up with an on topic point into the debate

appreciate the "I know one lady thats different..."

we all do, exceptions confirm the rule

the chance of flying with a female pilot in your next flight is high, there are many many of them employed in airlines

All proud of....their job...wearing the pilot suit and showing thay are just as pro...and they are!! no doubt, excellent airline pilots

but not because of their passion of aviation

and will add more:

female pilot career took a boost as the profession got more a system operator of company procedures MFDs turning knobs etc

in the past when flying was more in the hand and navigation in the head, few ventured

like racing cars for example...its not that there arent any with passion for flying, its just not the majority

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

That is definitely NOT true for all the women I've met and flown with over the years. They've all flown for the same reason that men do, love of aviation. If you read Flying Magazine, Martha Lunken's column alone should show you the love that at least one woman has for aviation, and there are other examples in various other publications too, but my first sentence above is from personal experience from about 1969 on.

There are undoubtedly a few women who ALSO have an "equality" goal, in addition to their love for aviation, but it was mostly attempts to be able to satisfy their own longings for jobs/positions that had long been denied to them. And have you ever heard of Patty Wagstaff or Julie Clark? They are famous women on the airshow circuit who could not possibly be doing what they do without the tremendous passion that is needed for ANYONE to get into the airshow business.

More to the point of the start of this thread, there have been a very few women on this forum over the last 23 plus years, and they didn't stick around all that long, for the most part, perhaps because of certain attitudes by a very few here. There also may be (I'm only guessing) a few who are here that don't let it be known that they are female -- that's their choice, of course, but we'll never know unless they choose to let us know.

So please, back off from that attitude.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

the chance of flying with a female pilot in your next flight is high, there are many many of them employed in airlines

All proud of....their job...wearing the pilot suit and showing thay are just as pro...and they are!! no doubt, excellent airline pilots

but not because of their passion of aviation

and will add more:

female pilot career took a boost as the profession got more a system operator of company procedures MFDs turning knobs etc

in the past when flying was more in the hand and navigation in the head, few ventured

How many of these women have you known personally, as opposed to reading about them or hearing about them? In the first place, it would be a rare individual indeed (man OR woman) who could put up with all that it takes to be a good airline pilot or military pilot (there are many women in both) without a passion for aviation. Both professions involve a tremendous amount of hassle (for both men AND women), in addition to the absolute discipline they must use and endure to get into and to remain in the profession.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Spend 30 plus years working, flying and visiting with and getting to know some of these women, keeping your own personal attitude mild (otherwise you get the wrong picture), and then come back and tell me what you say above.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

That is definitely NOT true for all the women I've met and flown with over the years. They've all flown for the same reason that men do, love of aviation. If you read Flying Magazine, Martha Lunken's column alone should show you the love that at least one woman has for aviation, and there are other examples in various other publications too, but my first sentence above is from personal experience from about 1969 on.

There are undoubtedly a few women who ALSO have an "equality" goal, in addition to their love for aviation, but it was mostly attempts to be able to satisfy their own longings for jobs/positions that had long been denied to them. And have you ever heard of Patty Wagstaff or Julie Clark? They are famous women on the airshow circuit who could not possibly be doing what they do without the tremendous passion that is needed for ANYONE to get into the airshow business.

More to the point of the start of this thread, there have been a very few women on this forum over the last 23 plus years, and they didn't stick around all that long, for the most part, perhaps because of certain attitudes by a very few here. There also may be (I'm only guessing) a few who are here that don't let it be known that they are female -- that's their choice, of course, but we'll never know unless they choose to let us know.

So please, back off from that attitude.

I very much agree with Larry. Every female pilot I have ever met is just as passionate about flying and just as capable as any of the male pilots.

And when it comes to online forums, far too many woman have had bad experiences with immature behaviour from some of the guys. From there they unfortunately either keep quiet, or go elsewhere.

NGxo7AA.jpg

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Randy I have become a fan of your humorous interjections. :D

The vast majority of us here agree: we wish there were much more women simmers here on the forum and in general. I hope over time this becomes a reality.

Am I the only member with a female Flightsim.com pilot friend?, I'm sure there are others lurking in the background reluctant to join in because of thread starters like this one. It's great for both sexes to have a commonality in this case flight, I applaud and encourage that.... Amelia Earhart is one of my aviation all time hero's.... Edited by daspinall

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Thanks, I try to keep things "light". This IS only a game after all, nobody here is curing world hunger or any major diseases.

As a lifelong EAA member and decades long tram volunteer at AirVenture Oshkosh, I can attest that female attendance at this real-life aviation convention is indeed 'less' than male, but still there remain a whole lot of couples and females in general on the grounds. Women in aviation are thankfully abundant.

Am I the only member with a female Flightsim.com pilot friend?, I'm sure there are others lurking in the background reluctant to join in because of thread starters like this one. It's great for both sexes to have a commonality in this case flight, I applaud and encourage that.... Amelia Earhart is one of my aviation all time hero's....

Just to be fair, the person who started the thread did so in the same spirit that I think the majority of us are speaking/posting. The post I think you're thinking of, that was discouraging, was not his post but someone else's.

There are plenty of gals in aviation and flight simming. They are just not as infantile as us guys when it comes to playing with toy airplanes and flight sims and posting to forums about it.

I had a female skydiving pilot on the west coast of Florida but that was many moons ago. I had no problem putting my life in that women's hands. She often had the plane on the ground before me and my instructor landed our shoots.

I am a huge fan of Patty Wagstaff out of St. Augustine Florida. Do a youtube search on her. She's a champ. Inverted ribbon cutting 40 foot of the deck in an Extra 300. I cant even do that in the sim.

Edited by natman1965

KLM says: Hop aboard, we're heading for International Women's Day!

156755592_10157986926055773_5255189966919265643_o.jpg

Apparently India has the most female pilots of any country and Indian airlines employ the highest proportion of female pilots at 12.4%. Female airline pilots don't just fly the small shuttle sized aircraft, Emerates often crew their A380's and 777's with all female flight crews.

• 4 months later...
Here's
She posts very helpful instructional (ad-supported) videos on YouTube. Her cat sometimes joins in. In one of her videos, she explains how to talk with ATC. In that video, she actually talks to a live ATC--in the sim. I think she uses an add-on called Pilotedge that connects her to a network of sim-connected real-life (retired) air traffic controllers who are somehow watching all the other simmers connected to them. I might try that someday--once I can at least flawlessly fly--and land--a Cessna 172.

Hey @Aptosflier, I did a search and came up with this old post of yours and thought I'd update the thread a bit. I am now a paid subscriber of PilotEdge. If you still haven't tried PE, I definitely think you should. Unlike Vatsim it's a paid service but the amount you pay is easily worth it for a sim-only aviation lover like yourself.

Unlike Vatsim (which is also cool and I intend to try it for different reasons in the near future), ATC on PE is professionally trained and extremely realistic. If you go through their voluntary training program, known as the "CAT ratings," you will in no time become proficient at the basics of ATC communication, figuring out how airspace works, etc. The controllers, just so you know, are very real so they are not there to hold your hands and coach you. But they also know they are dealing mostly with student pilots (sim/real), so they tend to throw you tips and suggestions a bit more than you might hear on real-world ATC. They also seem more patient than in the real world. The PE website has plenty of training videos to gradually move you through each of the CAT ratings, one step at a time. You could even pay a coach to help you further, but I'm moving along nicely with just the videos.

You can get five hours or 14 days of a free trial. After that, it's about $20 month. As a sim-student, you might well be happy with getting a full month's worth of training and then switch to Vatsim once you're proficient.

Another note: the geographical coverage of PE is not unlimited. They hire real controllers so geographic scope is limited. The point is to train you on ATC communication, not to enjoy MSFS graphics while flying everywhere in the world. There are two US regions only that have coverage: "ZLA" (Southern Cal), and "Western US" (most of the western US outside ZLA). After the free trial ends, you have to pick ZLA or WUS for that $20 fee, unless you want to pay for both at $35. ZLA is more densely populated with covered airports and covered airspaces, so it's better for training, but you might pick WUS if you're only going to stick with long-distance airliners.

Hey @Aptosflier, I did a search and came up with this old post of yours and thought I'd update the thread a bit. I am now a paid subscriber of PilotEdge. If you still haven't tried PE, I definitely think you should. Unlike Vatsim it's a paid service but the amount you pay is easily worth it for a sim-only aviation lover like yourself.

Unlike Vatsim (which is also cool and I intend to try it for different reasons in the near future), ATC on PE is professionally trained and extremely realistic. If you go through their voluntary training program, known as the "CAT ratings," you will in no time become proficient at the basics of ATC communication, figuring out how airspace works, etc. The controllers, just so you know, are very real so they are not there to hold your hands and coach you. But they also know they are dealing mostly with student pilots (sim/real), so they tend to throw you tips and suggestions a bit more than you might hear on real-world ATC. They also seem more patient than in the real world. The PE website has plenty of training videos to gradually move you through each of the CAT ratings, one step at a time. You could even pay a coach to help you further, but I'm moving along nicely with just the videos.

You can get five hours or 14 days of a free trial. After that, it's about $20 month. As a sim-student, you might well be happy with getting a full month's worth of training and then switch to Vatsim once you're proficient.

Another note: the geographical coverage of PE is not unlimited. They hire real controllers so geographic scope is limited. The point is to train you on ATC communication, not to enjoy MSFS graphics while flying everywhere in the world. There are two US regions only that have coverage: "ZLA" (Southern Cal), and "Western US" (most of the western US outside ZLA). After the free trial ends, you have to pick ZLA or WUS for that $20 fee, unless you want to pay for both at $35. ZLA is more densely populated with covered airports and covered airspaces, so it's better for training, but you might pick WUS if you're only going to stick with long-distance airliners.

Well that was an excuse to advertise

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Thanks Neil. I'm familiar with PilotEdge through the YouTube tutorial I referenced way back whenever. I might try it someday. I can see that it would be very useful for you, since you're taking RL flight lessons, but I'm not ready for it yet. I fear I would just embarrass myself. I'm still figuring out how to use the G3000 in the Daher TBM, my go-to aircraft of late. Today I flew IFR from Watsonville to San Jose, with an ILS approach to RWY 30L there. Then I set up a flight plan from KSJC to KSMF (Sacramento Intl.), with an ILS approach to RWY 35L at KSMF using the TBM's G3000 MFD. However, I couldn't figure out how to request an IFR flight plan in the G3000 and so flew VFR. Without instructions from ATC, I failed to reduce my altitude soon enough and wound up too high at the waypoint intersecting the glideslope. Even with the autopilot's APR activated I could see I wouldn't make the runway on autopilot. So I disengaged the AP and tried to force the landing, which was pretty messy. To make up for that, I taxied back to the runway and took off again, intending to fly a landing pattern for 35L again. But the tower told me to go "left base" to land in the opposite direction--on RWY 17R. Which I did, after flying sufficiently far enough out to turn back to the runway I'd just left. I then hand-flew a very satisfying touchdown and called it an afternoon. I'm getting the hang of the sim, but I am not ready for PilotEdge's near reality.