I Shall Persist!

Sorry, it is a matter of opinion i know but the P3d shot looks too clear to me. I think it is due to the new modelling of light scattering in MSFS but for me MSFS wins in the "more like real life" category.

I'm afraid that as you are not getting many people agree with you that it is very unlikely that the developers (and I am sure they will be reading this) will change things.

Time to move on.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mac, I feel hesitant to respond since this really is a matter of opinion. But yes, your image from P3D looks gorgeous! Still, like Stinger2k2 above said, I too honestly think it is too vivid, it lacks sobstance between your windshield and scenery. It’s almost too clear, like very good photograph enchanged slightly too much.

Here I’m flying in the coastal islands of Norway (just an axample from my screenshot library) and imho it really delivers the ”feel of air” around your airplane better than for example your image. But again, it is a matter of opinion. :pilot:

20201001224121_1.jpg

What comes to the flight simulator not being a camera, no it is not. But you look the simulated scenery through a virtual camera! :)

Sorry, it is a matter of opinion i know but the P3d shot looks too clear to me. I think it is due to the new modelling of light scattering in MSFS but for me MSFS wins in the "more like real life" category.

I'm afraid that as you are not getting many people agree with you that it is very unlikely that the developers (and I am sure they will be reading this) will change things.

Time to move on.

Did you by any chance try flying along the Na Pali coast yourself? People seem to be getting a little distracted by the P3D shots and are ignoring the fact that there are areas in MSFS where the underlying satellite scenery is of lower quality. It isn't always an issue with atmospheric modelling.

Did you by any chance try flying along the Na Pali coast yourself? People seem to be getting a little distracted by the P3D shots and are ignoring the fact that there are areas in MSFS where the underlying satellite scenery is of lower quality. It isn't always an issue with atmospheric modelling.

And NONE of the scenery in any other flight sim on the market comes close to the degree of realism and immersion one finds in MSFS. Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick ....

No, I haveñ't, and i agree that there are inconcistencies. In fact the coast line where i live has an horrendous join in it between Bing image tiles, but that doesn't dtract from the overall huge improvement in the "feel" of the landscape for me.i also belive that this type of image error will be dealt with in time.

I don't think the OP was referring to these types of inconcistencies but was talking about the washed out look everywhere , which in my view is down to the atmospheric modelling and is more life like to my eyes.

No, I haveñ't, and i agree that there are inconcistencies. In fact the coast line where i live has an horrendous join in it between Bing image tiles, but that doesn't dtract from the overall huge improvement in the "feel" of the landscape for me.i also belive that this type of image error will be dealt with in time.

I don't think the OP was referring to these types of inconcistencies but was talking about the washed out look everywhere , which in my view is down to the atmospheric modelling and is more life like to my eyes.

I agree, the bright washed out view is more real than any other sim out there. THANKS msfs for improving this feeling. In exterior camera the view is clearer, equals puting you eyes /face at a window with no interior allowing for light adjustment of the eye

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Thanks for the posting. This is an amazing sim and an amazing time we live in.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

b) real life is overexposed

No, this is wrong. The issue is not how bright something is in MSFS. The issue is some of the imagery is overexposed and this is bad and totally unrealistic. If the image is overexposed when output to the game the contrast becomes flat and highlight and shadow detail becomes lost. This is completely the opposite to what the eye sees or what you would see in a real aircraft.

Like I said, people can’t recognize this stuff and only evaluate what they see by brightness or contrast. Everyone here has made exactly this evaluation not recognising why the OP’s original screenshot is bad. I know what I see in that screenshot is not how I would see the scene in real life.

Mark Daniels

Meanwhile, in major parts of the globe, humans are trying to stay alive by drinking water from a muddy ditch.

We really should make them aware of the problems some are facing with overexposed flight sim scenery. I'm certain they would have empathy.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Meanwhile, in major parts of the globe, humans are trying to stay alive by drinking water from a muddy ditch.

We really should make them aware of the problems some are facing with overexposed flight sim scenery. I'm certain they would have empathy.

Unreal lol

Mark Daniels

Exactly

You can find tons of discrepancies with real life

I miss the tyres short squeech sound when landing one of many examples

As overexposed as it is its better than not being overexposed like other sims. Im glad overexposed is a feature that differentiates it from other sims, i dont want a clear outside view cause in real life when your eyes are focused inside the cockpit or the cabin ALL outside view is overexposed

For the view to get normal you need to press your face in the window so the eyesight lightning balances and clears the view, which in the sim equal to external camera

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

In truth I'm simply 'weary' of all the unnecessary whining. There are legitimate bugs & glitches, and we, the over 1 MILLION beta testers WILL report them to the zendesk so they can be corrected in short order.

But CRIKEY! and Holy Guacamole Batman! Asobo has sim-modeled the entire surface of our planet to include the whole sky, winds and weather and figured out how to make synthetic aircraft fly in their pretend world with some semblance of realism..

How 'bout we cut 'em a little slack whilst things get rectified?

My thoughts exactly. I have seen more than enough nitpicking over exceedingly minor issues (the Na Pali Coast doesn't look quite right?). Great Caesar's ghost! Give us a break, and check out the 99.999% of the planet that looks breathtakingly beautiful and accurate.

About a week ago, I posted 2 pix of the same place and time, one in MSFS2020, and one from P3D, and I asked if anyone agreed with me that the former looked washed out in comparison. None of the commenters did. So be it.

So here's a pic of the Na Pali Coast on Hawaii's Kauai Island, taken today in late morning. Is there none among you who can admit, like the child in "The Emperor's Clothes," that this is hopelessly overexposed?

Mac6737

[ATTACH=CONFIG]222533[/ATTACH]

I have just looked at masses of MSFS screenshots and absolutely and totally agree with you! Up to this point I only went by what you presented but looking at many, many user screenshots from MSFS it's clearly overexposed. Stick to your guns on this one. The clouds have equally major problems with definition. I wouldn't expect any of it to get fixed.

Mark Daniels

I have just looked at masses of MSFS screenshots and absolutely and totally agree with you! Up to this point I only went by what you presented but looking at many, many user screenshots from MSFS it's clearly overexposed. Stick to your guns on this one. The clouds have equally major problems with definition. I wouldn't expect any of it to get fixed.

Well, thanks, but I'm afraid that sticking to my guns won't move the needle.

I also said somewhere above that much of the scenery looks terrific, and surely more "real-looking" than prior sims. But I find the most real-looking views are in dawn or twilight scenarios, when the washed-out distance is not such a factor..

I hadn't complained about the clouds, but you are right on that, too. The Rex SoftClouds look far more realistic than FS2020, but I figure Rex or someone else will do a payware add-on. Hope it's not an FPS killer.

Mac6737

I also said somewhere above that much of the scenery looks terrific, and surely more "real-looking" than prior sims. But I find the most real-looking views are in dawn or twilight scenarios, when the washed-out distance is not such a factor..

Yes, from what I've seen it seems the middle of the day, high contrast situations are the biggest problem.

Mark Daniels

I hadn't complained about the clouds, but you are right on that, too. The Rex SoftClouds look far more realistic than FS2020, but I figure Rex or someone else will do a payware add-on. Hope it's not an FPS killer.

Mac6737

Ho-hum and yawn. As I have noted before when this came up, the cloud textures look exactly -- as in precisely -- like the real clouds I can see from my window. If you are right, this means that Nature itself is unrealistic. Life is cruel.

Ho-hum and yawn. As I have noted before when this came up, the cloud textures look exactly -- as in precisely -- like the real clouds I can see from my window. If you are right, this means that Nature itself is unrealistic. Life is cruel.

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt they lack definition, are out of focus.

Mark Daniels

Here's a sample. If these clouds are in anyone's sky, you are making posts from a planet not yet discovered as all known clouds within our universe look very different to the image below. lol

Just for fun, I took some FS9 clouds and then filtered them to try and achieve the same result as MSFS clouds. The filter that worked well to achieve the same look from FS9 clouds as they represent in MSFS, "Paint Daubs."

And that pretty much sums up what you are looking at in MSFS. I won't even start to go into discussing MSFS cloud color accuracy nor contrast! haha

117188394_2729291324058516_2870921584750653437_o-1600x959.jpg

Mark Daniels

Here's a sample. If these clouds are in anyone's sky, you are making posts from a planet not yet discovered as all known clouds within our universe look very different to the image below. lol

Just for fun, I took some FS9 clouds and then filtered them to try and achieve the same result as MSFS clouds. The filter that worked well to achieve the same look from FS9 clouds as they represent in MSFS, "Paint Daubs."

And that pretty much sums up what you are looking at in MSFS. I won't even start to go into discussing MSFS cloud color accuracy nor contrast! haha

[ATTACH=CONFIG]223023[/ATTACH]

It is impressive that you are familiar with "all known clouds within our universe". I have no answer to that other than to bow in admiration of your knowledge! But your picture -- sorry -- only confirms what I said. The fuzzy edges of those clouds look EXACTLY like what I am seeing out my window as I write. And now, I am returning to flying. I hope your cloud problem gets resolved somehow; for me, there simply is no problem.

But your picture -- sorry -- only confirms what I said. The fuzzy edges of those clouds look EXACTLY like what I am seeing out my window as I write.

Cobalt,

I am bemused that there seems to be an issue about what clouds look like. I am about to attempt to attach 3 representative shots with clouds from P3D v. 4.5 with Rex SoftClouds enabled. I can't say what you see out your window, but I once took a ride in an aeroplane and the clouds looked like the ones in these pix.

That said, I agree this is not worth losing sleep over.

Mac6737

Avro Vulcan reduced.jpg

Guadeloupe on final reduced.jpg

United 787 reduced.jpg