2 minutes ago, tres2 said:

I'm happy to defer to your, undoubtedly, much greater experience with this. I have looked in detail at two areas: Wheeling, West Virginia where I currently live, and Westhampton Beach on Long Island, where I grew up. As I said, the hills and streams and roads are all pretty accurate, but the buildings are just not even close. 

The big factor is whether they have photogrammetry data for the area or not, and whether or not they have hand built scenery. Larger cities in Western countries are more likely to, while smaller towns and other countries are more hit and miss. If they don't have the photogrammetry data for an area, they have an AI process for generating buildings.

For places that aren't covered well with the default scenery, look for an add-on. Don't see Wheeling, but there are others for West Virginia.

https://flightsim.to/discover/Wheeling?s=West+Virginia&category=0&sorting=0&page=1&filter=

11 hours ago, igami said:

I wonder how long this topic will be.
Just fly the one which you prefer.
Thats all
And if want to  quit and move others , no need to say.

No need to say?

Definition: forum

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

• Like 2

Think saying "no use"  will make  the guys who loves  feel uncomfortable .
Or just want to push the opinion and make a bad feelings and mood here ?
Sorry but I don't get those.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried FSX but I just didn't like it. I still have the box and disks but they collect dust. I had too many addons for FS9 anyway. I did buy MSFS2020 but once I got over the wow factor of the scenery I went back to FS9. I use airliners and don't care what the scenery looks like at FL360 anyway.  To me MSFS2020 was a step down in so many ways. To me it feels more like a game directed towards XBox than a sim.  I like vintage airliners with 2D cockpits. I enjoy the B727-100/200, the DC9-30, DC-10, and L1011 Tristar. If MSFS2020 ever gets those planes as well as a weather system where snow is actually snow I might use it more. But geez how many B737 and A320's can be released for a sim? And I won't even get started on the MS server problems. Or how I strongly feel that MS2020 was dumbed down for XBox. I doubt I'll even look at MSFS 2024 as in my opinion it will be just more of the same. What I am saying here is new is not always better. Use whatever sim makes you happy. I do and in the end that is all that counts.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 1:04 AM, Sirrus said:

You miss some good stuff.

Don't tell anyone but I will swap cockpits around until I get one I like - sometimes it's a VC and sometimes 2D. (I have a Harvard with a Mustang cockpit!)

It's all a matter of personal preference, of individuality, which is how it should be without some person telling you what is "correct/right/normal".

No, I don’t miss 2D cockpits at all. I am flying FSX on Windows XP.

I use Trackir in 3d cockpits and I do not understand those who want to remain on 2D cockpits.

Dont get me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their preference, but after all this time, to be flying FSX without experiencing Trackir and 3d cockpits, baffles me. It’s just one of those things that should be tried, and if it is, surely you cannot go back,

All default aircraft with 3d cockpits……Great!
All David Maltby aircraft , the same. 
To sit in the cockpit, looking around exactly as you would in RL.   Lean forward to an instrument, or lean over to look down out of the aircraft side window.

unbelievable realism. 
My FSX is great with these planes, and the navigation realism that Trackir, and FS Recorder ( replays) and FS Commander offers, I just keep my fingers crossed that my whole system doesn’t go tits up. Cos it couldn’t be replicated, I don’t think. 

On 5/11/2024 at 8:07 AM, Cas141 said:

Everyone is entitled to their preference, but after all this time, to be flying FSX without experiencing Trackir and 3d cockpits, baffles me.

Not everyone wants to "fly a camera" in 3D cockpits nor have to wear odd headgear.  For many, for me, not enjoyable. While I feel some guilt when I disable 3D cockpits to avoid wasted RAM, knowing all the work that goes into them, I enjoy 2D cockpits on virtually all my favorite aircraft models.

2 hours ago, ftldave said:

Not everyone wants to "fly a camera" in 3D cockpits nor have to wear odd headgear.

I agree completely. The first computerised machine I ever worked on was a photo-typesetter which was entirely keyboard controlled because mice hadn't been invented yet. That machine was serviced every 6 months and the service engineer once told me that the keyboard was such an important part of the system that it should be inside the casing, not outside! So in flight sim the keyboard, mouse and monitor is the right way to do it for me, even more so now that I have an HDR curved monitor which removes the 'fish-eye lens' effect on flat screens in MSFS, and adds 10 FPS believe it or not!

To address the OP's points, I have to agree to some extent - when you start looking under the hood a few of the features of FS2020 are merely 'place-holders' and not many have been significantly updated or replaced so far. It was obviously easier to start from scratch with those, so let's hope that's what they've done with FS2024.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

16 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

I agree completely. The first computerised machine I ever worked on was a photo-typesetter which was entirely keyboard controlled because mice hadn't been invented yet. That machine was serviced every 6 months and the service engineer once told me that the keyboard was such an important part of the system that it should be inside the casing, not outside! So in flight sim the keyboard, mouse and monitor is the right way to do it for me, even more so now that I have an HDR curved monitor which removes the 'fish-eye lens' effect on flat screens in MSFS, and adds 10 FPS believe it or not!

To address the OP's points, I have to agree to some extent - when you start looking under the hood a few of the features of FS2020 are merely 'place-holders' and not many have been significantly updated or replaced so far. It was obviously easier to start from scratch with those, so let's hope that's what they've done with FS2024.

Hmmm, each to their own, but I find that with Trackir ( and using the mouse to click on the cockpit switches and rotataries, most of which work in the 3d cockpits, almost like a RL pilot would, ), that it gives me an element of realism that using a keyboard would almost certainly take away.

Everything works fine, from airliners right back down to Cessnas..

I use 'mouse-look' mode to pan freely around the cockpit much faster than with the hat switch on my yoke - simply click the mouse wheel to toggle it on or off. I think it was Leonardo Da Vinci who said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

On 4/9/2024 at 1:22 PM, Rupert said:

Also with the older sims, I prefer P3D, you could scan multiple views all the time just by moving your eyes, as you do in a real aircraft,  Instead of scrolling or changing screens to see what you want to see.  I normally have three screens to look out of the windscreen and sides with and another screen, mounted lower, to scan the instruments.  Like RW flying.

Plus, on day one, I already knew how to work all the control functions as they were standard on the older sims. 

Does spacebar mouse and spacebar mouse scroll no longer work in FS2020? I am with you i love hitting spacebar and zoomingi in and out on switches. 

Ctrl+F1, Ctrl+F2 and so on will zoom in on panels and gauges, F will return you to the normal cockpit view.