On 4/7/2024 at 8:05 AM, Shrikharan said:

As what we had in FSX,   a 2d cockpit, able to fly with full front view without cockpit blocking and important  flight details such as speed, direction,  and height  displayed on top of the screen, With these  options not abled in FS2020 I simply cannot fly an aircraft.  Flying a real aircraft  in real world is different to fly in computer with the mouse and  keyboard it takes a long time to see around. In real flight we  have a wider field of vision and we can quickly move our neck to see or simply moving the eyes. We cannot do that in computer. before we use the mouse to change the view plane would have crashed, (unless we pause the flight and  doing that the thrill is over). 

I agree very much, MSFS 2020 is incredible in scenery detail. I can even see my bedroom window in the house in Dundee where I was born and grew up.

But piloting? I find MSFS very weak, difficult to learn with the 3D cockpit trying to mouse click on the different gauges - way too small and shaky. And I miss the full screen of seeing where I am flying to

Nigel

Vancouver

• Like 2

I still prefer FS9 to MSFS2020. I am in the minority that loves 2D cockpits. I also like the 3rd party weather programs that we had for FS9. When it was snowing snow actually hit the airplane and not rain. I spent many times doing ILS landings in the B727 or DC9 in a snow storm in FS9. To me it just seemed more realistic than what we have in MSFS2020. I also do not believe that MSFS2024 will be the sim to fix it all like a lot of people seem to think. I feel Asobo is in over their heads and have been all along. I do use 2020 at times. But I keep FS9 on an old PC with Windows XP and love to go back to it from time to time.

In the end, whatever Platform is used, our collective Goals are the same; to get enjoyment out of Flying and all the things that go into it.

That's a pretty good deal in my book.

🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• Founder
1 hour ago, budreiser said:

MSFS2020 could use INSTANT REPLAY, about the only thing I miss from previous versions

Yes, that's a feature I'd really like too. Just a very simple way to i.e. watch your landing from another view.

You can do it with "Flight Control Replay" but that product has so many features there is a learning curve before you can use it...

Very broadly speaking, I think these types of threads get split down two sides:

1) Those who found it worthwhile to adapt to the new sim, or have never used the older versions,

2) Those who didn't find it worthwhile to adapt (for their own good reasons - no judgement implied).

All I can say is that if you're able to embrance the changes in MSFS2020, it will reward you. And it will (hopefully) only get better with '24. But I'm sympathetic to folks that enjoy what they have, don't need to learn a very different sim, and don't need to buy new hardware. Nothing will ever be everything to everyone, so it was inevitable that these two camps would exist.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

1 hour ago, KiloWatt said:

Very broadly speaking, I think these types of threads get split down two sides:

1) Those who found it worthwhile to adapt to the new sim, or have never used the older versions,

2) Those who didn't find it worthwhile to adapt (for their own good reasons - no judgement implied).

All I can say is that if you're able to embrance the changes in MSFS2020, it will reward you. And it will (hopefully) only get better with '24. But I'm sympathetic to folks that enjoy what they have, don't need to learn a very different sim, and don't need to buy new hardware. Nothing will ever be everything to everyone, so it was inevitable that these two camps would exist.

Elegantly and simply stated.

Agree.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Those who found it worthwhile to adapt to the new sim, or have never used the older versions,

The thought occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, FS2020 was not aimed at those of us who have used the older sims.

E.G. if you had FS2004, your next move "up" was FSX, and if you had FSX, your next move was P3D.  At least, you could use some of the previous versions aircraft in the newer version. (Although I occasionally use an aircraft or two from FS2002 in FSX!)

So FS2020, and FS2024 may not be aimed at the "enthusiast" market but X-Box users, Playstation users and other console users who expect, and get, high quality graphics from their games.

And, one thing is certain, those of us who have invested in their "older" versions of Flight Sim, will never say that a younger version is better than theirs.

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t miss the 2D cockpits.

when I’m driving my car, I look around and see everything. The 3D panels simulate this, not a gauge cluster in my face.

Just my personal opinion.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

51 minutes ago, Sirrus said:

occasionally use an aircraft or two from FS2002 in FSX

I use aircraft as old as FS98 in FS2004, mainly for AI and static AC.  Comparatively low poly models mean less fps hit, and it seems with each new FS version the variety of available aircraft lessens.  I doubt the MSFS crowd will get to fly WWI aircraft or experimental planes or Star Trek shuttlecraft.

8 minutes ago, kingnorris said:

Personally, I don’t miss the 2D cockpits.

On a while I agree, and rarely use a 2D panel.

But, I do feel there is a place for it, and having 2D and VC in MSFS would enhance not hinder that version.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, Sirrus said:

So FS2020, and FS2024 may not be aimed at the "enthusiast" market but X-Box users, Playstation users and other console users who expect, and get, high quality graphics from their games.

You are most likely correct. And as time passes, the vintage sim generation will slowly make their last landings and fade into the sunset with joyful memories of the floppy disk and wired mouse.

phrog x 2.jpg

17 minutes ago, kingnorris said:

Personally, I don’t miss the 2D cockpits

For some reason i find landings much easier from the 2D panel than the VC, and when flying airborne Trailways there's nothing to see anyway (let the AP take it, go to external view and scan around).  But there are some aircraft, and most helicopters, that just don't feel "right" without a VC.

5 minutes ago, jgf said:

For some reason i find landings much easier from the 2D panel than the VC, and when flying airborne Trailways there's nothing to see anyway (let the AP take it, go to external view and scan around).  But there are some aircraft, and most helicopters, that just don't feel "right" without a VC.

I’m used to it I guess.

Going  back to FSX, after awhile if an add on had no VC, I’d pass on it.

again that’s just me.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Earlier today I reread some of the threads when MS went from FS9 to FSX.

We almost could copy and paste the discussion between then and now.

What I found most interesting was that on a whole those threads came to the same conclusions, 1) we all have our preference and will defend our selection, and 2) as long as we are having fun there is a place in the sim world for all of us and our preferred sim.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

10 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Earlier today I reread some of the threads when MS went from FS9 to FSX.

We almost could copy and paste the discussion between then and now.

What I found most interesting was that on a whole those threads came to the same conclusions, 1) we all have our preference and will defend our selection, and 2) as long as we are having fun there is a pace in the sim world for all of us and our preferred sim.

That’s right.

and no need to drag users of other sims thru the mud either. (Not you, but some who have)

1 minute ago, kingnorris said:

no need to drag users of other sims thru the mud either

Yes, for some, that seem to be their main sport.

Appreciate what all versions bring the the table, there's a lot of talent out there.

phrog x 2.jpg

35 minutes ago, kingnorris said:

Going  back to FSX, after awhile if an add on had no VC, I’d pass on it.

You miss some good stuff.

Don't tell anyone but I will swap cockpits around until I get one I like - sometimes it's a VC and sometimes 2D. (I have a Harvard with a Mustang cockpit!)

It's all a matter of personal preference, of individuality, which is how it should be without some person telling you what is "correct/right/normal".

53 minutes ago, jgf said:

I doubt the MSFS crowd will get to fly WWI aircraft or experimental planes or Star Trek shuttlecraft.

Why would you have doubts when there are more and more historical aircraft coming out for MSFS all the time?

https://wing42.com/product/bleriot-xi/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

https://msfsaddons.com/2023/11/08/our-updated-list-of-aircraft-currently-available-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

On a different tangent, how about a cardboard Spitfire? Plenty of different add-ons for MSFS out there.

Do FS9 and FSX have more add-ons available? Sure they do, but that's because they've had a bit of a head start.

On 4/11/2024 at 5:04 PM, Sirrus said:

You miss some good stuff.

Don't tell anyone but I will swap cockpits around until I get one I like - sometimes it's a VC and sometimes 2D. (I have a Harvard with a Mustang cockpit!)

It's all a matter of personal preference, of individuality, which is how it should be without some person telling you what is "correct/right/normal".

That’s fine, my lips are sealed. Lol.

as was stated, whatever makes a flight sim user happy is all that matters.

I got a buddy of mine who

only swears by X Plane. He won’t ever touch Microsoft ever.

that’s all good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, loki said:

Why would you have doubts when there are more and more historical aircraft coming out for MSFS all the time?

I can't use my FSX/P3D B-25 Mitchell in FS2020, so FS2020 doesn't appear to be my next acquisition, but the newest version of P3D might.

And I put hours of work into repainting my Mitchell. So you're asking me to dump all that?

Why should I when I can move on to a flight sim where I can use it.

As for the cardboard Spitfire, wasn't there one of those in FS2002?

However, if I were starting from scratch, and didn't want to buy second hand copies of FSX/FS2004, then, I just might look at FS2020.

1 minute ago, Sirrus said:

And I put hours of work into repainting my Mitchell. So you're asking me to dump all that?

Umm, that's not what I said at all. I was responding to the idea that MSFS doesn't have any vintage aircraft available, and never will.

If your current sim works well for you, enjoy and have fun! And if you ever do want to check out MSFS, know that there are plenty of older aircraft available, including a B-25, with more on the way.

https://flightsim.to/file/54276/north-american-b25-mitchell/419903

I started FS9 two years later, after all the hubbub had died down.  I started FSX four years later after all the hubbub died down. I started MSFS six weeks ago; it's over four years later and obviously the hubub has not died down.

I feel like I'm in an amalgam of all the feelings and opinions expressed so far in this thread. I love how pretty it is, I love how accurately the rivers and roads and hills and other landforms are represented. I smeer at the discussions of "finding your house", anybody who bought it thinking they were going to get that was in for a bitter disappointment. I can't get over the fact that they didn't even model the airplanes with doors.  As someone who is partly disabled I am woefully disappointed that they didn't even think to include a mouse joystick; thanks to Vjoy and Virtual Essentials I was able to find a workaround for that. The look, overall, is beautiful I must admit, but a lot of things, little things mostly, are just plain careless and sloppy.

I'm glad to be here, but as I have said before, FSX, in my opinion, is still the best flight Sim ever.

11 minutes ago, tres2 said:

I smeer at the discussions of "finding your house", anybody who bought it thinking they were going to get that was in for a bitter disappointment.

That does depend on where you live and whether they have the data for it. I was able to find my place quite easily.

12 minutes ago, tres2 said:

I can't get over the fact that they didn't even model the airplanes with door

Yep, the default aircraft missing opening doors is a bit of a miss, though third party aircraft have them.

18 minutes ago, loki said:

That does depend on where you live and whether they have the data for it. I was able to find my place quite easily.

I'm happy to defer to your, undoubtedly, much greater experience with this. I have looked in detail at two areas: Wheeling, West Virginia where I currently live, and Westhampton Beach on Long Island, where I grew up. As I said, the hills and streams and roads are all pretty accurate, but the buildings are just not even close.