Downloads blocked as unsafe

spacer.png

I notice that downloads have stopped over the last 24 hours, possibly due to the above message.

Is this a site certificate issue by any chance? This error doesn't appear when downloading from other sites.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Modern browsers have many paranoid security measures that can block perfectly safe files - a date discrepancy between your computer and the server, an expired or misread certificate, a reported file size that doesn't match the download, etc.  Firefox, and the d/l manager I use, give options to download/accept the file anyway.

Possibly those folks behind the screen have tweaked something which now causes this;  we're still waiting for file searches to behave and links from other sites to stop reporting "oops, we can't find that".

• Like 1

• Founder
3 hours ago, cj75s said:

Still happening in Firefox today 16th Feb 24! Must be the site or all the files are affected by virus. Maybe Flightsim has been hacked?

Just a thought.

This sort of thing has happened before. More than likely, the cause is an upgrade to your browser, to Windows, or to some other security software you are using.

39 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

This sort of thing has happened before. More than likely, the cause is an upgrade to your browser, to Windows, or to some other security software you are using.

I'm only seeing the malware warning on downloads from flightsim.com, downloads from other sites are fine - this is with MS Edge browser.

• Like 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Same here, but with Firefox.  If the issue were at my end I would expect problems at other sites also.  (It's not a major problem for me, just two extra clicks - open the menu and accept the d/l.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, beroun said:

Have this happening often - strangely it is on and off situ. Some browsers allow to by-pass the block, some don't.

I concur. It's happening to me as well using Chrome. A week ago I was able to D/L fine, but every subsequent Session the D/L was Blocked.

It even occurred using my Kindle Fire. The FireOS pop-up showed the File as Blocked because of a Security issue.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 2/11/2024 at 11:47 PM, modelr said:

Happens with every file when using Windows EDGE browser. I just click on "keep anyway." Only happens on this website, none of the other file sites.

I'm using Edge in Windows 11 & it always happens to me as well. I just 'Keep' it & carry on. It's really a 'non issue'!

On 2/26/2024 at 12:42 PM, wobbie said:

I'm using Edge in Windows 11 & it always happens to me as well. I just 'Keep' it & carry on. It's really a 'non issue'!

That's true of about every site, Until it is an issue!  There are those out there all over the world finding new ways into our sites and onto our computers every day!  I try to stay very vigilant and do every update I hear about,  But even then from time to time one slips under the rug. 

Do us all a favor.  Spend time doing scans on a hugely frequent basis! 

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 4 weeks later...

It stopped for me about a Week ago. One day I tried, and it worked!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This only started on Chrome a few days ago.  Doesn't happen when the exact same file is downloaded from other sites, so this is a Flightsim.com only issue.  Seems to be limited to MSFS files as all the FSX files I tried all downloaded without error, while all MSFS files were blocked.  Unfortunately Chrome doesn't appear to have an easy way to allow the download if it is blocked and there is no option to change it for just that download. 

In my opinion any advice to ignore downloads blocked by your browser is bad advice.  While MSFS files happen to be harmless, many users will not have the technical expertise to make that decision. And who is to say if Flightsim.com hasn't been hacked and some malicious code has been added to the download. I am not willing to take that risk, so I don't expect people who download my liveries to do that either.  As a result I pausing all uploads to Flightsim.com until the issue has been resolved.

As this is only a problem with MSFS files uploaded to Flightsim.com, it would seem that Flightsim.com need to resolve the issue. 

Crispy136

I tried to download a file from this site via EDGE and get also the warning. The download was blocked. 

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Yes, this is still going on;  the site does something to files/procedures that triggers a malware warning on download.  My d/l manager receives the file, holds it in limbo somewhere, and tells me it has a virus;  it passes all virus scans, even online, so I just click on the error message and "allow".  Happens with Firefox and Brave.

• Founder

I get this too. Don't know why.

I'm pretty sure the web site has not changed, so it's likely browsers are now triggering on something new that did not bother them before. I have to believe this problem is widespread beyond just FlightSim.Com. If you have some time, rather than just talking about it here, can you research the actual cause and report back?

• Like 1

I just successfully downloaded an FSX and MSFS aircraft using DuckDuckGo.

Previous download issues using Chrome or Edge have ceased once I switch to DuckDuckGo several months ago.

It is now the only browser I use.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Firefox worked fine but Edge blocked a file for me. Something about the site triggered Microsoft's Defender SmartScreen. While it is possible for those of us downloading to file a report through Edge to say the file is safe, the best solution is for the owners to file a report with Microsoft to get the site cleared. Telling people to simply ignore the warnings isn't a great long term solution as sooner or later someone will ignore a legitimate warning.

If I am a website owner, how do I correct a warning on my legitimate site?

You can immediately submit a request for a correction. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen has a built-in, web-based feedback system in place to help customers and website owners report any potential false warnings as quickly as possible. In Windows Internet Explorer, from a red warning, click More information then Report that this site contains no threats. This will take you to a feedback page where you can indicate you are a site owner or representative. Follow the instructions and provide the information on this site to submit a site for review.

To report feedback from the Internet Explorer Download Manager, Right-click on the blocked download and choose Report that this file is safe. This will take you to the feedback page.

Once a dispute is submitted, a team of graders inspects the site in question. All disputes should be submitted through the website reporting process to ensure the quickest resolution.

In Microsoft Edge, click More information then Report that this site does not contain threats.

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen Frequently Asked Questions

3 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

I get this too. Don't know why.

I'm pretty sure the web site has not changed, so it's likely browsers are now triggering on something new that did not bother them before. I have to believe this problem is widespread beyond just FlightSim.Com. If you have some time, rather than just talking about it here, can you research the actual cause and report back?

In the past 24 hours I have downloaded content from FlightSim, AVSIM, SOH, SimV and several pdf's from various Websites using Chrome; none of the Downloads from the aforementioned Sites triggered a Warning message except here at FlightSim. It will happen here for a few days then the Warnings will stop. A few days later the Warnings start up again. 

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, its back.  Although it did disappear for a while.  The exact same files continue to download successfully from other sites, so this problem can only be cause by this site.

Crispy136