PhrogPhlyer

17 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

As I was on short final, my #2 engine failed, and 10 seconds after I touched down the #1 engine also dies of fuel starvation.

Wow!  That was a very close call!  Glad you landed safely!

When I flew my flight lessons in a Cessna 172, I always checked the fuel tanks myself.

I went and looked up your helicopter, then came back here and saw it in your profile and signature. 🙂

5 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

The airfields look weird too, they're much sandier than the surrounding countryside, as you can see below. Most un-realistic to my mind, or they really like that in the US?

I think that is typical, especially the further west you go.  In my old stomping grounds in California most airports were like that.

3 hours ago, Sirrus said:

And the time you spend on the ground refuelling doesn't count, does it?

I never thought of that. but I thing you just established a new guideline,

Thanks!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

8 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

To add further confusion to my thoughts over the sandy and grey trackways, the sandy ones seemed to dive UNDER the water at a few points! 

Those I believe are high voltage electrical towers and wires.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

8 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

which certainly looks like a freeway, but is it?

I believe the double "roads" are Interstate highways.

phrog x 2.jpg

3 hours ago, meloscanlon said:

I think that is typical, especially the further west you go.  In my old stomping grounds in California most airports were like that.

Definitely a Southern /Southwestern anomaly in the US.

phrog x 2.jpg

Day 18 Standings

We welcome another entry, always room for more!

Now that we have four contestants who have completed the route, I've added Standings for the finishers 1.2.3. etc. Now you can see the times to aim at.

This will be updated as aircraft finish to complete the route.

image.thumb.jpeg.df07c8c7900d60f3a4352ae1e92ff423.jpeg

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

9 hours ago, Bossspecops said:

With a bit of two-handed dexterity I got my finger over the 'Print Screen' button at the same time as I was turning onto the second sector of the flight, and got this pic which nicely shows the Lysander's decidedly strange wing planform, but it works very well nonetheless.

I use a free program called Greenshot to save all my Rally photos.  It sits in the system tray on the lower right and takes pictures of a region , a window, or a whole screen in a second and saves it to the desktop by default.  It does pause FSX as it takes the picture.  I have gotten adept at pausing FSX and the elapsed timer running on my phone - snapping the greenshot pictures - unpausing both FSX and the phone timer, and continuing my flight.

Good old Charles Wood has completed her first sector

KIGQ - 5KI

ground speed down to 130 kts - real wx headwind

Fuel on T/o 1,600 lbs

Fuel on arr 739 lbs

85 mins flight time (no GPS used - just Skyvector sectional, took me a little while to find the strip !).

Start and take-off

https://youtu.be/AaUtAcICXPw

Then the battery conked out on my new GoPro

Ud.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy just in case I see a serpent - which I also keep handy.....

6 minutes ago, meloscanlon said:

Wow!  Cool cockpit setup! 🙂

You are joining us in style!

bits of wood- chewing gum and gaffa tape old pal 😆

I always keep a bottle of stimulant handy just in case I see a serpent - which I also keep handy.....

1 hour ago, meloscanlon said:

I use a free program called Greenshot to save all my Rally photos.

I still use the old FSScreen.  Hit the PrintScrn key and it saves a bmp of the screen in a folder of your choice.  Just remember to turn it off, otherwise it will grab and save any image it sees in the clipboard.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, meloscanlon said:

A slightly hot approach, as our Lysander Rally pilot can confirm is sometimes my style.  I am flying a warbird after all.

I'm notorious for "Stuka attack" landings.  1500 ft up and half a mile from the runway?  No problem.

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Now that we have four contestants who have completed the route, I've added Standings for the finishers 1.2.3. ...

image.thumb.jpeg.df07c8c7900d60f3a4352ae1e92ff423.jpeg

Boy PP ... those big green numbers are a little intimidating for a meek little Piper driver like me ... 

2 hours ago, AlyMac said:

Good old Charles Wood has completed her first sector

KIGQ - 5KI

Excellent! Now that's how to the ole' bird come alive.

And to make it easy for me, the "Official Officious Air Rally Official" to capture proper times, please post your planned route time and your actual route time (variance between the two).

Thanks.

phrog x 2.jpg

12 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

those big green numbers are a little intimidating for a meek little Piper driver like me ... 

Hey, a '68 Piper is in the LEAD!

You definitely have a chance to place top three.

I'm thinking of getting rid of extra seats and those useless survival kits/ELT/first aid kit/aid maybe the door, just to lighten my old bird. Looks at my "motivational" thermos, hmmm. I think I'll need that for sure.

phrog x 2.jpg

11 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Those I believe are high voltage electrical towers and wires.............I believe the double "roads" are Interstate highways.

AH right, I never thought of the towers and wires, I better keep clear of them!

I'll be time warping back to July for the rest of my Legs anyway.

Regards

Kit

9 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Excellent! Now that's how to the ole' bird come alive.

And to make it easy for me, the "Official Officious Air Rally Official" to capture proper times, please post your planned route time and your actual route time (variance between the two).

Thanks.

Oops! RTFMS 1 hour 10 on the plan - 1 hour 25 actual. silly old fool my US Army Airforce E-6B is within arms distance too !

2 hours ago, AlyMac said:

1 hour 10 on the plan - 1 hour 25 actual.

Normally, I'd say that some of us here have taken our first run at Zelmer as practice, since 5K1's so hard to find and we're getting used to the scoring system, etc., so if you'd like to head back to Lansing and try to improve your variance, feel free.

However, I just finished watching your cockpit video, and I'm waaaaaay too envious to say anything at this point.

(But seriously, my vote is you're welcome to take another crack at the first leg, if you'd like, and congrats on the cockpit!)