PhrogPhlyer

45 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

check with the committee on the use of your GPS

Good idea - a clarification from the race stewards, please.

It's my understanding that the GPS can be used occasionally to verify course, speed, terrain, and airport information (which oftentimes varies from SkyVector), but not to direct the autopilot - more a restriction on the AP than the GPS.  I did hand-fly the GPS beam on CDI1 last night and this morning, and occasionally kick on the AP to take screenshots, but since my courses are VOR-to-VOR, I have no problem switching to the beacon driving the CDI (was planning on doing this anyway; I left it in GPS mode by mistake, flew Forney this morning off CDI2) and using the DME for groundspeed/time to waypoint.  But, if anyone feels this was unfair, I'll be happy to go back and re-run the route so far (as long as we don't have to spend another night in Zelmer).

5 hours ago, JSMR said:

Right at the crucial moment, there was a disturbance ... no ... not in the force, but at the door. In walked an Englishman, an Irishman and a Catholic Priest.   I looked back at the barman and said "What is this? Some kind of a joke?"

There is little doubt that PPhlyer lost control of this rally somewhere back on Page 11 ... 😎

04 November, 06:00. Palmyra (Zelmer).

Tom and Rey sorted things out pretty quickly. Rey was quite contrite that night. Tom realized that Rey was suffering from exhaustion and stress that couldn’t be ameliorated by a couple of weeks of doing nothing, and that he himself was more stressed than he had realized. Both knew that as a practical matter, anger, resentment, and silence would have made for a majorly miserable month in the close confines of a Cherokee. They agreed to set out early the next day and try to catch the Airedale before it left Lebanon. This worked out well, since both were early risers.

Screenshot_2023-11-04_05-52-24.thumb.jpg.ceb8d3c95ab40503cdfc3a4bd213d46e.jpg

Rey was going to be PIC that day and worked up a flight plan. The winds were far more favorable than yesterday evening’s. SkyVector estimated the total time for the leg at 1:39, at 4500’ cruising altitude. He checked it with Tom, which was unnecessary but prudent after last night’s meltdown, Rey figured, and filed it.

Screenshot(198).thumb.jpg.0521787604e8c897d96725c7e1b8178f.jpg

Rey preflighted Sierra Hotel while Tom went to fill the thermos. The diner close to the airport opened at 06:00, and when Tom arrived at 06:05, the staff still hadn’t put the coffee on. He waited impatiently, knowing the effect that any delay would have on Rey. The staff didn’t seem in any hurry, either. After a seeming eternity, the coffee was ready and the thermos was poured (sloppily) Tom ran back to Sierra Hotel to find Rey already in the left seat. Rey fired up the engine, and they began rolling at 06:20.

Screenshot(200).thumb.jpg.8a19e65bda11ab7b028768186e0e3b7f.jpg

Winds were calm, so Rey had a short taxi to 36. Run-up, trim, a notch of flaps… In the cool, crisp autumn air, Sierra Hotel was up and out of the tiny field with no drama whatsoever. They ascended into a brilliant sunrise, and Tom caught Rey playing with the aircraft the way he used to do when they flew together a few years back and the young man’s joy of flying first overcame his nervousness of piloting: He let the Cherokee rise until the disk of the sun peered over the horizon, then descended until it was no longer visible. After a couple of these oscillations, Tom sang, “Sunrise, sunset.” Rey laughed and timed a couple more oscillations to the rhythm of the tune. “Perhaps all he was needing was a good blow-up,” Tom thought; his protege seemed relaxed today in a way that he hadn’t been all trip.

Screenshot(201).thumb.jpg.3c9840e76e0cf56c77485daa78747725.jpg

Screenshot(202).thumb.jpg.aa2a5d943696db63926dcc6443ae67cc.jpg

Rey dawdled during the climb and let the airspeed climb to 110 once at altitude to compensate. St. Louis came up very quickly.

Screenshot(203).thumb.jpg.4d94dc8f3fa517d5df218b86d845a7cd.jpg

Rey rounded the mark at 24 minutes elapsed, one minute faster than the plan. The next leg was the lion’s share of the route and was calling for a groundspeed of 102. Rey backed the IAS off to 100 and checked the groundspeed against the GPS. They flew on toward Forney where, Rey posited, no one would be able to name their daughter Catherine because it would be considered child abuse to condemn a girl to spend her high school years known as, “Forney Kate.”

But the name of the town is Fort Leonard Wood,” Tom pointed out. “Only the beacon is Forney.”

But then the joke wouldn’t work,” Rey shot back.

Screenshot(204).thumb.jpg.97089e29501bca3945ec4af00bc69468.jpg

They passed over TBN at 1:24 elapsed, versus 1:25 planned, still one minute ahead and spot-on for the critical leg. Tom congratulated Rey, who was focused on reaching Lebanon.

The winds were from the west and there was no chatter on the unicom for KLBO, so Rey elected a straight-in approach. He had overcompensated slightly for the variance in plan versus actual, so he came into the shorter of the two runways, hot and without flaps. Tom held himself from saying anything; Rey wasn’t a student anymore and knew what he was doing. Rey landed long and, with both feet mashing the toe brakes and both hands pulling the parking brake, discovered just how fast original equipment brakes can fade. Sierra Hotel came to a stop just as her nosewheel edged over the lip of the runway and came to rest on the dirt turnaround patch.

Screenshot(205).thumb.jpg.05ec9e5589fac1cf6fcfe134676efae0.jpg

Only when the aircraft was turned around did they look at the flight time. 1:39, same as the plan. Variance: 0.

“Congratulations, Rey,” Tom said. “Don’t ever do that again.”

Don’t worry,” Rey said as he wiped the sweat from his palms on his pant legs. “I won’t.”

Screenshot(207).thumb.jpg.80624f3a24408afe965988c2c9e15418.jpg

Rey taxied Sierra Hotel over to a parking spot. Tom had seen a V-tailed Bonanza on the ramp on the way in that he thought might be JGF, but as they approached the FBO, he saw that it wasn’t. Rey brought the engine to idle, paused for a minute to make sure Sierra Hotel would not roll, and shut the engine down. A couple in the brown-and-white Archer next to them started its engine and taxied for some touch-and-go’s as they put the Cherokee to bed. Rey did not set the parking brakes, but sat at the ready with his hand on the brake as Tom got out, fished the chocks out from under the bags, and secured the nosewheel.

Tom invited Rey for breakfast, but the young man was far too interested in a brown-and-white Airedale that they had seen parked on the other side of the fuel pump to hear.

Methinks the boy has Forney Kate on his mind,” Tom said to himself with a grin.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

04 November, 06:00. Palmyra (Zelmer).

Tom and Rey sorted things out pretty quickly. Rey was quite contrite that night. Tom realized that Rey was suffering from exhaustion and stress that couldn’t be ameliorated by a couple of weeks of doing nothing, and that he himself was more stressed than he had realized. 

Whoa whoa whoa!! Go easy on the complicated vocib...vacub...vacabrliar.....er......words!

Just a plain old simple aussie here. 🤒

Here's my plan. Just using FS2004 planner.  As it does it for me. I have enough trouble trying to drink beer and fly as it is let alone scribble stuff down. 😛

Route : EON V173 SPI V9 LOFTY

Aircraft : Beech Model 18 (not a 18 yr old model. tsk tsk guys)

Planned time :  1:12 

Cruise : Medium-Fast
     Height : High

Weather : Or not? 

POB : 4 Nuns, 1 Englishman, 1 Irishman

Cargo : Pants

Refreshment : Beer, Wine, Tequila
Expectation: No confidence 

Edit : What the heck is that line to the left of that above? I've only had one beer...

Flightplan.thumb.jpg.1ef353a03c49ac98b880e6a06da84adf.jpg

• Like 1

The hotel bar was deserted.

Not sure what Suzanne was up to, I asked the barman to bring me a menu for the restaurant. It was getting dark and I was about to move to the diner, restaurant was far too fancy a word for it, when Suzanne appeared.

“Got everything done you wanted?” I asked.

“Sort of. I realized we hadn't officially filed our result for Leg 2 (5K1 to KLBO).

Estimated time 2hrs 19min. Actual 2hrs 16min Leg 2: Variation 3min

Topped up the oil, checked a few other things but they were all OK”

“So what kept you?”

She shrugged her shoulders “well I was hoping to meet some of the others.”

“Did you?”

“Sirrus appeared for a re-fuel in that nice De Havilland then was off again. Seems like a nice guy.”

“But too ancient for you?” I added.

“It is possible to enjoy peoples' company without fancying them. Otherwise I wouldn't be spending all this time with you would I?” Touche

“Meloscanlon also touched down, then seemed to vanish. I wonder if he knew we had entered a Spitfire XIV in the previous race.

It would have been fun to meet JSMR in his Beech and 180 nuns. I like his sense of humour and that he doesn't take himself too seriously.”

“No sign of the Cherokee?”

Her reply curt “No. Let's go and eat I'm famished.”

“OK, early to bed, early to rise. We could get off at first light for the Claremore leg.”

“Yes” she agreed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, taoftedal said:

There is little doubt that PPhlyer lost control of this rally somewhere back on Page 11

And that's the best part!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

17 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Good idea - a clarification from the race stewards, please.

It's my understanding that the GPS can be used occasionally to verify course, speed, terrain, and airport information (which oftentimes varies from SkyVector), but not to direct the autopilot - more a restriction on the AP than the GPS.

Correct, GPS/FMS/etc is allowed for route check only, NO autopilot for routing., But trim support for altitude/heading assistance is allowed.

• Thanks 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Day 4 standings, based upon reported flight times/variances per route leg.

Lots of great flying going on out there.

Updated as information gets posted. Should I miss anyone's posting of times, just give me a shout, and I'll correct this immediately'ish.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba8b0fa349a54e48bfcd45716000c168.jpeg

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

05 November. Lebanon to Claremore. 1:57 Planned, 1:56 Actual. V01.

The cellphone on the bathroom counter rang. Thinking that it was Jessica, Tom leapt out of the shower, his feet slipping on the tile of the bathroom floor, he nearly falling. He grabbed a towel from the rack and quickly got enough shampoo out of his hair to not short out his phone. Soap stung his eyes, so he couldn’t make out the caller ID.

Good morning, Honey!” he said enthusiastically.

Uh, good morning, Dear?” said Rey. “Are you ready to get going?”

Oh, um, I’m just in the shower, be out in a minute,” Tom said far less enthusiastically. and hung up.

It took Tom closer to 20. “What took you so long?” Rey, who was standing outside the door to Tom’s hotel room and, the older man surmised, probably had been since he had called, asked. “Were you on the phone with the missus?” There was a note of agitation in his voice.

Nah,” Tom said. “We missed our afternoon call yesterday, so I thought she might try first thing this morning. But no, at this age it just takes me a little while to make myself presentable. You work with what you’ve got, no?”

Not so much as a smile, not even a quiver of a corner of the mouth. Something was going on with Rey.

They walked down to the lobby, checked out, and set off toward KLBO. “Want to get some breakfast before heading up?” Tom asked. “The diner makes a really good hash-and-eggs – make their own hash from scratch.”

Sure,” Rey said, sounding none too convinced.

Rey was driving their 4-Series BMW. Yesterday, Tom had wanted to go for just a rent-a-POS, but the younger man had insisted on going upscale – and paying for it, which ended any argument that the old man might have had. Tom had noticed that he had been wearing his gift, too, not the older Patek that he had bought with his first big bonus from Remi Ortíz and Associates. That watch was rather understated and only cost as much as a decent avionics suite. Remi’s gift, if a price could even be put on it, cost as much as a good glass cockpit, wrapped in a very nice airplane. Reymundo had been trying very hard to impress, Tom concluded – to that deduction, he added something about Great Britain’s most famous detective having a problem with constipation.

Today, he had on his Tag, which was his favorite watch for flying. He also had on the clothes that he had flown in the day before. His hair and beard were unkempt; he hadn’t showered.

Rey slowed down as they approached the diner. He had just put his turn signal on when he spied a man whose bright red hair lit up the pre-dawn and a woman with striking eyes. “You know what?” Rey said with a note of disgust, “Let’s just go. We’ll get something to eat in Claremont.”

Claremore,” Tom corrected, noticing the couple as well.

Whatever,” Rey said, and stomped on the accelerator as if it was a scorpion.

The way Rey pulled into the rental agency’s parking space, Tom half-expected to see a crew of people in Nomex jumping over the wall with tires and an air gun. He was glad that there weren’t any cops on the road between the diner and the airport. As they hiked over to Sierra Hotel, Rey said, “I’d like to fly this morning, if you don’t mind.”

You okay to pilot?” Tom asked.

I kind of need to,” Rey said. “Besides, you’re going to be in the right seat, aren’t you?”

Tom knew better to say anything else.

Screenshot_2023-11-05_06-11-11.thumb.jpg.bee4d42092a81be8ba5cabc10475da7e.jpg

After loading the bags, Rey set his EFB down on the wing. “I have us routed Lebanon – Springfield – Neosho – Tulsa, which is 16 miles beyond Claremore, then fly back 061o to the airport.”

Sounds like you’ve built in a buffer,” Tom said. “Let’s see how we do with it. And let’s only use the GPS today to confirm the airport frequencies.”

That’s a good idea,” Rey said. “I don’t know at what time I switched the nav source for the CDI, but I don’t like the fact that I didn’t notice that it was tracking the GPS instead of the VOR until we got to St. Louis.”

Me, either,” Tom said. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve become way too dependent on the GPS.”

It’s essential back home,” Rey said. “Chart navigation and situational awareness are fine, but if I’m picking my way through mountains in low visibility, give me a color terrain map anytime.”

Screenshot(211).thumb.jpg.4bc996c3474b0851b6c1330f0f36ed13.jpg

It was absolutely perfect flying weather, 7oc, almost no wind either on the ground or aloft. Rey took off from 18, turned to 240o, and climbed crisply to 4500’.

Screenshot(212).thumb.jpg.3e710b2c05bf6a05a413905e02a6378e.jpg

The pair flew in silence. If Rey was lost in his thoughts, he channeled them into some pretty effective flying. He rounded SGF with 23 minutes on the flight timer, which was exactly what the flight plan called for, and EOS at 58 minutes against 60 for the plan.

Screenshot(216).thumb.jpg.0bcc07248888bbb0552d82538036360f.jpg

They crossed Claremore at 1:34 flight time. Tom took out the Garmin 295, checked the frequencies for KGCM, and set the comms. The ASOS was reporting winds from 110o at 2 knots, which would make 17 the active. Rey flew on toward TUS and began a descent.

Screenshot(219).thumb.jpg.f9f2d818d2b83e001a308f678225e8f4.jpg

At a mile out from Tulsa, Rey dialed in a back course of 061o and followed it straight to KGCM. They were still a little early, so Rey flew a wide arc around a couple of hills and entered the pattern for 17 from the east. His turns were perfectly squared, although a little aggressive, and he set Sierra Hotel down on the runway at 1:56 flight time, versus 1:57 for the plan. They added another minute to their cumulative score, which still had them in second place among those who had already started the race.

Rey wanted to fly on, but Tom insisted on having breakfast. There was a chain sports bar/restaurant just off of the airport and Rey led them there, figuring that they could go for the buffet, eat quickly, and get back in the air. As they entered, the establishment’s thousand-and-one big screens came alive; Miami was playing Kansas City in Frankfurt, Germany. Oh, yeah, it was Sunday. Football day. The pair wasn’t going anywhere else that day.

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

At a mile out from Tulsa, Rey dialed in a back course of 061o and followed it straight to KGCM. They were still a little early, so Rey flew a wide arc around a couple of hills and entered the pattern for 17 from the east. His turns were perfectly squared, although a little aggressive, and he set Sierra Hotel down on the runway at 1:56 flight time, versus 1:57 ...

Well ... whatever you're doing it's working.  Well done Sierra Hotel ... don't change anything!  👍

• Like 1

Really put the ol' E6B to work last night, and I'm going to try to fly two legs, Zelmer to Lebanon to Claremore.

We'll see if we get anywhere near book fuel burn, if not, can always make a fuel stop at Lebanon. But first, have to make sure my new seat cushion/covers were installed properly. O yes, lambs wool. This should help take the load off.

image.thumb.jpeg.a141df0946504dfccb18c3d22f4e3c41.jpeg

14:20 and I leave Zelmer behind.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c127f34677f66d8edaf4f4186eb7f10.jpeg

Crossing the Missouri River. Looks like the sun will be in my eyes the whole trip. Really cool aviator glasses to the rescue!

image.thumb.jpeg.eb3ce8b857d035c6cefa59059dc6c6d1.jpeg

So much of nothing out here, so different than the Mid-Atlantic corridor I'm accustomed to. It does make spotting Rolla Intl. easy. Fuel burn looks good at this speed and power, 110 mph 90% torque, and the whiz wheel says about 20 gal per hour. Feeling good to not stop at Lebanon.

image.thumb.jpeg.53ff174018d01b05752721552f7895e0.jpeg

Richmond appears, and just a minute behind, pulls in a little more torque and keeps flying.

image.thumb.jpeg.0bc66e3416b281f5fe718880b0a26e2f.jpeg

Lebanon is in sight.

image.thumb.jpeg.5e31532e74320834b3cf577432302d8e.jpeg

Directly over mid-field, two minutes behind planned.

image.thumb.jpeg.cde698724d998f0a6906ea91f10c88b2.jpeg

Turns toward Claremore, 189 miles down, 182 to go.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1eabc28447bdf23223e010279d95d66.jpeg

Springfield, the city that conjures up memories of a bygone era, now found only in history and stories.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a51331dea6f7fad62453812d6484707.jpeg

Grand Lakes, perfect with this autumn sky.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e8fb7987093ebfbe7e4c561bc3322af.jpeg

Claremore in sight. starting to get dark. Glance at the clock, hmm, giving her one last sprint to the runway.

image.thumb.jpeg.e7ea137ab116105983281746837a009a.jpeg

On the ground, punch the clock, 17:45, will check timing when I shut down.

image.thumb.jpeg.a84b1afb1151daaaa483c281fe08b57d.jpeg

Tied down and quiet, what a perfect night.

Lets see... two minutes slow on this leg. I'm not complaining at all, she's one of the best flying helicopters I've ever flown in FSX. Must remember to comment on her download page. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bb0ad0a97f7437498d2fc7134b132861.jpeg

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg

Day 5 standings, based upon reported flight times/variances per route leg.

Lots of great flying going on out there.

Updated as information gets posted. Should I miss anyone's posting of times, just give me a shout, and I'll correct this immediately'ish.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca4b364a38fd461422b72eec158336a0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

First of the month is always hectic, too many errands, too little energy, no inclination.  Finally got started on this flight, and was twenty minutes into the first leg when I noticed I'd forgotten to start the timer;  I inventoried my vast stock of unacceptable language and started over.  (Oddity between the tails is a long wire antenna, don't know if extending it helps FS radio reception but it makes a nice spoiler, the drag causes a 5kt-8kt drop in speed almost instantly.)

lansing.thumb.jpg.c47177ad6bea75f6af449aa7a094313a.jpg

Ah, the midwest, certainly an argument for the flat earth society.  I would say "I'm off!", but people have been saying that about me for years. 

lansing2.thumb.jpg.f8cba55a6be286b8e7770d861795b115.jpg

Uneventful flight over uneventful scenery.  Misjudged my approach so flew a long downward spiral to lose altitude, also losing time.  I like the left side of the runway also (must be a British thing).

touchdown.thumb.jpg.a085bcbabdb6ed5515c8da9e6e4d908c.jpg

Timer started with take-off roll, touchdown at 1:09.27

timer.thumb.jpg.af9c5cf7b257e10085de25d27f607a5e.jpg

And shutdown at 1:10.25;  log showed 195mi, 26% fuel used.

shutdown.thumb.jpg.94d762d6628df7e411ee1402967eae33.jpg

• Like 3

We met at breakfast and it was earlier than usual.

“Today's Sunday. The days seem to be blurring into each other.” I said by way of good morning.

“Sunday special then.” Suzanne replied loading her plate with bacon and egg. Her usual breakfast half a grapefruit or orange.

“North American special for me.” I dribbled maple syrup on a stack of pancakes.

“As we're up early we can go to the airfield and do some work on the avionics and then leave at our usual 10:00 ish.” She said between bites of bacon.

“Do what?” I asked. I thought everything was in order.

“As you know, I re-connected the autopilot. I want to try to connect the GPS to the autopilot, not for this race, but if everything is there it should be in working order. I hate it when a cockpit has switches and instruments fitted that don't work.”

“You sure everything will be back together by 10:00?” I asked tentatively, doubting Suzanne's work a dangerous tactic.

“I never take apart what I can't put back together.” She shot me an annoyed look.

Outside it was still dark, as the taxi edged onto the road for Lebanon airfield a black BMW at speed swerved narrowly missing it.

“Idiots up early this morning.” the driver commented.

As the first hints of dawn played in the east and Suzanne's head was buried in loose wiring the doors to a hanger in the distance opened and a Cherokee taxied out heading for the runway.

“Hey! Suzanne, is that not the Cherokee in the rally?”

She disentangled herself from loose wires. “Yes it is! They bothered to hire a hanger. No wonder I didn't spot the plane yesterday.”

“I wonder what their hurry is, leaving before dawn?”

“Who knows.” She replied in an annoyed tone.“Go and prepare the flight plan while I tidy up here.”

I did as asked, I wanted to get away 10:00 ish if possible.

KLBO                             Joplin                              KGCM

220/6kts@5000'      236/9kts@5044'       226/10kts@5055'

Leg3KLBO-KGCM.thumb.jpg.94391306764f499a9033be1960e3fbce.jpg

Total distance 158 nm. Less 6nm and 6minutes for climb to 4500'

152 nm. that according to E6B would take 1hr. 39minutes plus the 6minutes for the climb

total ETE 1hr. 45min.

“Light winds, good visibility, nice day for flying.” She was Pilot in Command today.

I noted take off time 10:03

“Springfield-Branson coming up on the left” I pointed:

SpringfieldBransononleft.thumb.jpg.e4cf195cb92ef1059ec1f2603532248c.jpg

“We should be just south of Joplin.” She gave me a rendition of Take Another Bit Of My Hart followed by Me and Bobby McGee. She had a nice singing voice. I don't think I'd heard her sing before.

The sun was up now: “I wonder how far ahead of us your two Vampires are?” I asked.

“My vampires?” She looked at me quizzically.

“You're the one with the obsession about them. Your night time flyers. Ever seen them in the daylight? It would explain their greeting from the dead. ”

She laughed: “I've two wooden stakes somewhere amongst my tools.”

“The one that looks young, he's probably 300 years old. You want to keep well away from him. Or else I'll have to check for byte marks on your neck”.

“And JSMR is an Australian vampire hunter. That's why he has an 180 Nun escort. Ever seen a Nun without a crucifix? Now you know why.” She replied.

Lakes coming up ahead:

Lakesahead.thumb.jpg.216b69d9d324afe4772c86193d7af326.jpg

I gave her a terrible rendition of Oki From Muskogee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5feWCmPYFeM

“Did you know we will be only a few miles from Muskogee?” I asked

“No, you did the flight plan, remember?”

“Active rwy will be 170, head 250 and take her down to 2000'”

“OK you're navigator.” she followed my instructions

“Now turn to 200 and descend 1700' Rwy 170 is to your left.”

“Yep, have visual.” And she took the old lady in.

TouchdownKGCM.thumb.jpg.7c8a39652e7e12ed1f7f8819f25fddf3.jpg

“Touch down. Time?” she asked

“11:49. Good leg. Only 1minute out.”

We parked next to an old looking Cessna.

Engineoff.thumb.jpg.108689454ee48f31bd6429d4bbd5cada.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jgf said:

I like the left side of the runway also (must be a British thing).

image.jpeg.dc119baa4e0c9460d56c9301767f4304.jpeg

And to think i was taught left was the side/hand or the devil. Hmmm... 😇

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, jgf said:

touchdown at 1:09.27

T/O time, and planned route time?

Need to determine route time variance (planned vs actual).

I like your timer on the panel, is that an add on?

phrog x 2.jpg

19 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Patience PP

But I want it NOW!!! 

Breath.... calm... coffee,,,,

Ahhhh, in a better place now.

Waiting patiently.

phrog x 2.jpg

49 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

doctor killer here.  ☠️

Sad, but true.

phrog x 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Didn't do much for Buddy Holly's health either.

The day the music died...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

image.thumb.jpeg.b283d1cf77e1c74540bc551d38688309.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Sad, but true.

The V35 got a bad rap early on. There are a lot of other "MD Killers" out there...

https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

T/O time, and planned route time?

Need to determine route time variance (planned vs actual).

I like your timer on the panel, is that an add on?

Used the schedule you posted for me, except flew at 5500ft instead of 8000;  VOR to VOR.

Timer is Glenn Copeland's "SuperTimer 2";  has its own icon so easy to add as a popup.  (You may have seen it on my P-38 panel also.)

"   > Power button to turn gauge on/off as needed.
    > 24-hour clock displaying Zulu or Local time.
    > Change clock mode at the press of a button.
    > Dual timing windows, each controlled independently.        
    > START/STOP buttons that control only the active timer.    
    > RESET button that zeros values on the active timer.
    > Choice of two display modes; Clock-Timer2, or Timer1-Timer2
    > Timers count to 9-hours, 59-minutes, 59-seconds.
    > Timing values automatically adjust for simulator rate.
    > Positive visual feedback when buttons are pressed."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

The V35 got a bad rap early on. There are a lot of other "MD Killers" out there...

Early models had a weakness in the tail assembly.  As long as flown "by the book" it was fine, but the Bonanza was something of a hot rod in its day and many pilots pushed it a bit too far.  Once.  The issue was corrected and most older planes were retrofitted. 

Holly's death was caused by an inexperienced pilot taking off in bad weather.

• Like 2