The Next Challenge...

ViperPilot2

1 hour ago, TomPenDragon said:

is there anything saying that the route can't be run multiple times in different aircraft?

Perhaps this might be one approach towards an answer.

You can make as many runs of a route, with as many types of aircraft, and post your adventures, but only for an un-times/scored run.

You may also fly a timed/scored run, but that has to be the same type aircraft for the full route (landing or overfly time is the same leg time).

Just a suggestion that might work no matter what route you choose. 

For the GAAG any route, anywhere in AU works for the non-timed free flights.

Timed routes should be either the Southern or Eastern routes discussed earlier in this thread.

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, TomPenDragon said:

This might add more confusion to the question of what plane to fly, but is there anything saying that the route can't be run multiple times in different aircraft?  I'd say that any scored run has to use the same plane for the whole route, but if PhrogPhlyer wants to tear up the airfields in his Vampire for a couple days and then spend a leisurely three weeks touring the route in a DH-60, I've got no problem with that.  What do y'all think?

Several things need to be decided on; Timing vs. Non Timing, choice of Airplane, Start Date, and who's running the shindig this go round. It's been mentioned to forego the 'Race' aspect and go for the 'Rally' type deal, flying and writing being the big thing.

We have a bit of time to decide, but they're things we should decide on soon. A couple have taken reece Flights already, including myself on the first Leg. Default Scenery looks good for this so far.

Food for thought, everyone.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Allright then... let's bring her to Australia then... 

First Leg: as the PA-46-500TP was in Ukraine i have to transfer her from here to Australia on a very long Journey.
So, off we go, out of a cold and lost Kharkiev (nobody here at the Airport not even an active ATC) down to Tbilisi, Georgia. 

412405932_10231447219793662_5641046286525422059_n.thumb.jpg.09cc962759b45daef5dc740c619d9a9c.jpg

412434221_10231447298155621_2098685887629845789_n.thumb.jpg.f1cc1f7ae5955662e19b7ffef83281d3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Several things need to be decided on; Timing vs. Non Timing, choice of Airplane, Start Date, and who's running the shindig this go round. It's been mentioned to forego the 'Race' aspect and go for the 'Rally' type deal, flying and writing being the big thing.

We have a bit of time to decide, but they're things we should decide on soon. A couple have taken reece Flights already, including myself on the first Leg. Default Scenery looks good for this so far.

Food for thought, everyone.

+1

Very interested in projected start date!  I hope to be able to make this one!!  I'll probably use a Beech Bonanza.  And yes, writing sure makes it more interesting.  

• Like 1
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

On 12/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

GREAT looking Gulfstream. And yes, they are correctly sized reversers. Same as on the Lear 61.

Which model is the GIII? I may have missed it in the previous responses.

The Gulfstream III is by Abacus. Simple but nice. It was the size of the wing spoilers I was wondering about, I can't find a photo of a Gulf III with them deployed to compare to the model.

Everythingout.thumb.jpg.4ca42089cff52e3c6fe4e5382ff8abca.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

You can make as many runs of a route, with as many types of aircraft, and post your adventures, but only for an un-times/scored run.

You may also fly a timed/scored run, but that has to be the same type aircraft for the full route (landing or overfly time is the same leg time).

Just a suggestion that might work no matter what route you choose. 

For the GAAG any route, anywhere in AU works for the non-timed free flights.

Timed routes should be either the Southern or Eastern routes discussed earlier in this thread.

Sounds cool to me...

25 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I agree - can we lock this down by the end of the week?  Suggestions:

• A "Both/And" approach: We have two possible "set" routes: The AUAOPA route, and AirBasil's.  If the latter has the same number of legs, waypoints and mandatory stops as  the AOPA, regardless of leg length, one Rally trophy can be given out for both (Plan v. Actual should work the same whether the legs are 50 or 500 miles long, as long as number of Plans is the same; the goal is 0 variance - in other words, each route should contain the same number of chances to screw up).
  • Let's try mathematical scoring for the Rally this time (a V+1 can be cancelled by a V-1), and see how it works for us.
  • Those who are so inclined (and who think they can beat the Vampire) can use a Total Route Time modality.  Each route will have a separate trophy, as they are different lengths.
  • Participants can only submit one official score per trophy.  Once a participant declares a score Official, no other score will be accepted from that participant for that trophy.
  • Fly anything you can justify with an explanation.  Real-world aircraft are fueled with 100LL or Jet A; FlightSim aircraft are powered by Blarney (or if you prefer the more scatological synonym, the first real-world aircraft crossed the Atlantic on biofuel at the end of this past November, while FS9'ers have been running on ruminant excrement for going on 20 years now - way to save the planet, folks!).  That said, the Spirit of the AUAOPA Race argues for something on the AirHistory.net list or similar - for instance, since there were a few Lances that ran the race, a Saratoga would be justified; there were Aztecs and a Navajo that ran it, so a Seneca might be okay.  And as much as I'd like to run a Mooney, I think that honor should go to an Australian.
  • Repaints and stories are an exhibition, not a competition (there's no objective way to score either, and trying to make artistic expression the subject of a popularity contest is the surest way to tear this group apart).  Cooperation is encouraged, as is encouragement.
  • How about a timeframe of 25 December (start of the Sydney-Hobart Race) to 18 February (Bathurst 24H)?

34 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Very interested in projected start date!  I hope to be able to make this one!!  I'll probably use a Beech Bonanza.  And yes, writing sure makes it more interesting.  

I think it's kind of already started - AirBasil's already on his way there.  Some folks are  already there and checking out the route.  I'm planning on heading out from KLGA just after the first of the year.  The Bonanza's also on my short list, although Piper is being very accommodating...

29 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

Hello Air Basil, it's a good thing about simulation; we don't have to bother about insurance and medicals. I wonder how much insurance would cost for a flight into/out of Ukraine.

Who in their right mind would underwrite the policy?  As for medicals, 3 bullet holes or less and you're good.

I think there's a few who requested that we hold off on a Start Date until at least after the New Year, in order for everything to settle down a little after the Holidays. Yes there are some that have taken Flights along the Route, but that's been strictly for Test Purposes, checking the Scenery and like mine, proof of Pilotage and Peripherals (Joystick). 

Let's not put the cart in front of the horse, so to speak, and take some time to get the particulars sorted out first...

• Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

4 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

is there anything saying that the route can't be run multiple times in different aircraft

Of course not.  I would think pick one aircraft for the entire run and let that be your "official" entry, but run some legs, or the entire flight, in whatever you like as much as you like, perhaps even run it in reverse. 

I've run a couple of "recon" flights already.

After my enthusiastic outburst over the thought of flying a Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster in the AusRally i can't find one for FS anywhere. 😪

Does anyone know if it's ever been done? There's a VERY ancient one for a pre-historic version of FS, but that's all, nothing for FS9 or FSX as far as I can see.

Regards

Kit

17 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

After my enthusiastic outburst over the thought of flying a Douglas XB-42 Mixmaster in the AusRally i can't find one for FS anywhere. 😪

Does anyone know if it's ever been done? There's a VERY ancient one for a pre-historic version of FS, but that's all, nothing for FS9 or FSX as far as I can see.

Oh my ... what are you thinking Bosss?  Testing revealed that the XB-42 suffered from instability and excessive yaw ... as well as propeller vibration and poor engine cooling.  We don't want to lose you to the RFDS on this trip ... 😎

13 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

I recall one for FS98.  I eventually converted it to CFS, with cannon in the nose and rockets under the wings.  Ah, the good ol' days.

Initial work on the Staggerwing.  This is the only plane I've seen with the side flash extended on to the engine cowling;  driving me crazy since the textures there are compressed horizontally, I've already stretched it over 100% and it's still not right.  And the trim needs cleaning up and the alpha is too strong and the panel lines too dark and ......

vh-bbl.thumb.jpg.283d63a8cdfd346bfa081d9c186346dd.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

I can't find a photo of a Gulf III with them deployed to compare to the model.

All I could find was the G-IV with deployed spoiler.

Not quite as large, but still quite beefy.

So it most likely is correct.

foto.jpg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, taoftedal said:

Anyone thinking of these two cabin class machines?  Not flown in the original event ... but each could make quick work of whatever route one chooses ...

Turbo_2.jpg.41a0d98af95c829f43451ff5e5bcacb9.jpg

I am picking up the Simworks Studios Pilatus PC-12 for MSFS 2020 sometime in January.  Giving the developer about a month to work out the post release bugs.  And NO, I will not be jumping in it to fly the Australia Rally!  That would be pretty foolish! 🙂

2 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

How about a timeframe of 25 December (start of the Sydney-Hobart Race) to 18 February (Bathurst 24H)?

I thought we were originally talking about a February 1st start time.  I would definitely prefer a start time sometime in January at the earliest.  Need some time to repaint my Chipmunk in Aussie insignia. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I think there's a few who requested that we hold off on a Start Date until at least after the New Year, in order for everything to settle down a little after the Holidays.

Those of us who have families and like to celebrate Christmas and we who celebrate Hogmanay/New Year in the traditional manner will be in no fit state to fly anytime before Jan 6th. (12th night).

Also there should be two threads, one for the West-East Trans Australia Rally and one for the East coast route.  That way timings for legs would not get confused.

3 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

Let's try mathematical scoring for the Rally this time (a V+1 can be cancelled by a V-1), and see how it works for us.

Being as I suggested it, if all the entrants agree to it, then we should try it.

I would also like to fly the aircraft I want, like an English Electric Lightning, not be constrained to fly something else, and I would submit only one time (V=+ or -number) for each leg.

My draft attempt for guidelines for the 2024 Greater Australian Aerial Gaggle (GAAG)

Trying to keep things simple and easy.

There will be an Official GAAG thread created by whomever will be the Officious GAAG Official (OGO).

1.       Official start date: Saturday January 13th, 2024, GMT

2.       Unofficial start date: Any time before January 13th (please save your screenshots and adventures until the official start date).

3.       Official end date: Upon completion of selected route(s) by each entrant.

a.       Should an entrant decide that they will not complete due to outside influences, please state so in the official GAAG thread.

4.       Entry Categories

a.       Timed

i.      Each route “leg” is timed from wheels/skid off the ground until wheels/skids touch down (or directly over waypoint airport if overflying that location)

ii.      Legs are scored as minutes varied from planned.

1.       Variances are cumulatively added for the total route.

2.       Example: Leg 1=V-2, Leg 2=V+3. Leg 3=V+1 (-2 +3 +1 = +2)

b.       Untimed

i.      Self-explanatory

5.       Routes

a.       Southern Route (per 1976 AUAOPA)

b.       Eastern Route (per Airbasil’s routing)

c.       Free flight (anywhere on the continent)

6.       Entrants may fly any or all the routes in whatever aircraft they desire.

a.       For any timed route, the same aircraft must be used for the complete route.

b.       Routes may be flown as often as one desires, however, only one “run” will be used for a timed entry.

7.       Post as much or little as you desire on the official GAAG thread.

a.       Having FUN is the prime directive.

b.       Sharing adventures with each other is the next priority.

c.       The timed competition and winner of each route will be determined by the OGO.

I hope this is a simple and easy draft.

PLEASE amend as needed.

Upon group consensus and determination of who will be the OGO these will be finalized and the GAAG thread will be created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg