Propellant being consumed while PAUSED...

Before I begin, I'm in a B787-10 Oh! She is a beauty. Now, I've given all a few days break from "my" flgt sim issues, primarily my REVERSE THRUST prob.  But here is what I think is a new one...

Usually, when I PAUSE a flight, it isn't a very long pause. You know, a gotta go moment (not wearing diapers yet), and then back to the big sky. But a few hours ago, a neighbor dropped by while I was (in my world) flying from CYQB (Quebec, Canada) to KPHL (Philadelphia, PA). Before starting my flight, I had ample jet juice plus some reserve to get me to "the City of Brotherly Love ", with KEWR as an alternate. After jawing with my neighbor for an hour (give or take), I released PAUSE and got back to the skies near Island Pond, Vermont. Lo and behold (whatever that means), my petrol is nearly history. I surmise that while on PAUSE, the turbines decided they didn't need to take a break and kept drinking kerosene. Thanks for INSTANT REFUEL, I didn't kill anyone. In the past, maybe someone else has noticed this drain on fuel while PAUSED, but I don't recall seeing it.

And one more thing, is this a great forum or what. I get nearly as much joy out of this sounding board as I do aviating my imaginary PAX. Being long retired, I'm checking in all day long. Thanks to all of you. And a special thanks  to Nels. 

There are multiple types of pausing in MSFS, with the default being "Active Pause". This basically just holds your plane in the exact position it's in when you hit the key, but the engines and everything around you keep running. It's good for making a quick change in the cockpit you wouldn't have time for if the plane keeps flying. Read the guide below for how to get back the more traditional style pause.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-how-to-actually-pause-the-sim/143817

Thanks loki! Checked out the link above and most I was already aware of. From my early days of FS2020 (Aug 22) I wasn't copacetic with ACTIVE PAUSE, so I attempted to utilize the "tried and true" key command "P", only to find it wasn't a toggle and, as stated in that link...you need two keys for it to work. 

Let's face facts. FS2020 (especially in the scenery department) is so far advanced over FSX that we simmers should be most thankful. But in my humble opinion, some goodies such as the "P" toggle for pause, if possible, should have been carried over into FS2020. Hate to use this time-worn cliche, but don't fix what ain't broke.

Thanks again! Have a good day and keep up the great work.

A hard pause is possible, it's just called something different on the key command list. Anything we can do in FSX can be done in MSFS, it just takes a bit of time to find it.

• Like 1
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

""P" toggle for pause, if possible, should have been carried over into FS2020. Hate to use this time-worn cliche, but don't fix what ain't broke."

Had Microsoft developed this new sim that might have been a consideration. As I've come to understand it, the independent software developer Asobo created a whole new flight sim without direct reference to any previous Microsoft flight sim, so nothing was "carried over". I could be mistaken?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

14 minutes ago, chicagorandy said:

As I've come to understand it, the independent software developer Asobo created a whole new flight sim without direct reference to any previous Microsoft flight sim, so nothing was "carried over". I could be mistaken?

Quite a lot of 'under the hood' stuff has been carried over, but many control commands have been configured for Xbox controller first and mouse/keyboard second.

• Like 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

Quite a lot of 'under the hood' stuff has been carried over, but many control commands have been configured for Xbox controller first and mouse/keyboard second.

That make a little sense, but my goodness, "P" for PAUSE. It don't git no better'n dat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, budreiser said:

That make a little sense, but my goodness, "P" for PAUSE. It don't git no better'n dat.

I think the "pause" function was sidelined because of the all-new Xbox X|S feature of "Instant Resume" where you can quit a game at any time, play something else, then go back to the first game and instantly resume from wherever you left off. I've tried it and it's awesome, it really works - it's probably why there's no proper "save flight" function on PC either.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

2 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

it's probably why there's no proper "save flight" function on PC either.

Oh, how I miss that (save flight) jewel. Hi tiger. As for anything Xbox, this old man knows next to diddly. I think my wife has some Xbox component(s) on her TV setup. Her domain and (except for watching) I stay away from it.