MSFS 2024 announced

Well, only found out yesterday about this new flightsim. I’m finding it interesting,though it is academic for me.

I'm still on FSX. Really enjoying it. My mate got 2020 and is a bit lost. We are a couple of old codgers so,” Old dog, new tricks “ 😀

For me, the new sims require so much new gear, joystick, tracker, old peripherals etc, it just ain’t worth the hassle. And, I fly offline, not even connected to the Web on that computer…..so FSX is the best option, I think.

In fact, some say that FSX is best re proper navigation as opposed to the later sim being for eye candy, but whatever…

Hope you chaps that get 2024 really enjoy it. I’ll look forward to the videos.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cas141 said:

For me, the new sims require so much new gear, joystick, tracker, old peripherals etc, it just ain’t worth the hassle.

Hear, hear!

Recently got an email sales flyer, noted a vid card that, on sale mind you, cost over twice what I paid for my first windows computer (including monitor and printer).

• Founder
17 hours ago, Cas141 said:

For me, the new sims require so much new gear, joystick, tracker, old peripherals etc, it just ain’t worth the hassle.

That simply is not true. There are people who actually fly the sim with nothing more than their keyboard. I do most of my flying with nothing more than a joystick that I bought second-hand for $15.

There's lots of gear that you can add, but it's entirely optional and you can have plenty of fun without it.

21 hours ago, Cas141 said:

I've been using the same CH Combatstick with MSFS2020 that I bought 20 years ago. Depending on what your hardware is, it may well work with little or no trouble.

7 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

That simply is not true. There are people who actually fly the sim with nothing more than their keyboard. I do most of my flying with nothing more than a joystick that I bought second-hand for $15.

There's lots of gear that you can add, but it's entirely optional and you can have plenty of fun without it.

I’m sorry, of course it’s true….for most people. When I got  my peripherals I didn’t get some simple joystick, (or decide to just use the keyboard 🙄. How does someone fly a VC, looking around as if being there, and clicking on many of the switches etc as a real,pilot would , when you fly keyboard,,,,!,.?).

your choice, of course, how you fly, but you and I fly completely differently . And most serious flight simmers , I bet, fly more like me, than like you.  

my peripherals were/are state of the art, and it happens they will not work with modern Windows numbers. Some say they might, but I’m not buying a new top computer to maybe then find they don’t . Hence the “not worth the hassle”

It’s the way it is…. a MS reality.

17 minutes ago, Cas141 said:

And most serious flight simmers , I bet, fly more like me, than like you.  

Wonder where you get your data from? Most of those I know who are VERY SERIOUS simmers as well as life long RL pilots use just a simple joystick/throttle and mouse for most of their flying.

I have a yoke, throttle, rudder, joystick setup that allows me to change which controls I want to use for the specific aircraft. Soon I'll add a collective also.

But even with this capability, 90+ % of my flying is with a 20plus year old Sidewinder joystick. And it does not detract from the seriousness of my flights.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

New sims do not specifically require new gear (with the possible exception of the entire computer, but that is another story), but in any sim, old or new, the realism and overall experience is greatly enhanced by really good and realistic input hardware.  I myself, in a manner befitting one who lived by the penurious traditions of the airline pilot, had minimal input hardware for many years -  essentially just a joystick with another axis that could be used as a throttle.  Only within the last few years have I sprung for more realistic input devices; specifically, the Alpha and Bravo (which I found to be irresistably enticing due to their realistic appearance, particularly the Bravo!), and the T-Pendular rudder system. I must say that with this current rig, which looks as good as it flies, the experience of "handling" an airplane in any of the several simulators that I have has been boosted in an exponential manner.  Sort of like a poor man's home cockpit. 

Seriousness, on the other hand, is equipment independent, relying as it does on your own mental attitude.  I dare say one could fly seriously with the keyboard only.  It might not be very realistic compared to how real airplanes are flown (more so perhaps in Airbusses, but don't get me started on those!!), but you can be as serious as you want to be.  And I imagine that some have gotten quite adept at that kind of input, which is great.  That is certainly better than I can do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avallillo said:

(more so perhaps in Airbusses, but don't get me started on those!!

If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• Founder

I think you're assuming your own opinion on what is best is an absolute fact, when it's not. You have to do what's right for you but that does not mean the same view applies to others. Above you have a lifetime airline pilot, a retired military pilot and me, a 1500 hour/30 year general aviation pilot who all seem to disagree with your opinion. I think we all qualify as "pretty serious".

It's kind of sad that your need for "state of the art" controls is preventing you from enjoying the latest sim with a simpler setup, like many of the rest of us do.

• Like 1

To keep this 2024 topic on topic, I have many of the previously mentioned 'enhancement' hardware items, and yes they DO increase the feeling of immersion in the sim flights plus they really are not PC hardware critical components. I have no worries about being able to use them with the 2024 sim, IF 2024 doesn't prove to require me to buy a new PC. That will determine whether or not I stay with 2020 or move on up.

But hey - enjoy sim flight at whatever level your desires and budget allow with whatever sim software you like. It's all good and it's great that we have so many solid options to fly the friendly sim skies.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

7 hours ago, chicagorandy said:

To keep this 2024 topic on topic, I have many of the previously mentioned 'enhancement' hardware items, and yes they DO increase the feeling of immersion in the sim flights plus they really are not PC hardware critical components. I have no worries about being able to use them with the 2024 sim, IF 2024 doesn't prove to require me to buy a new PC. That will determine whether or not I stay with 2020 or move on up.

But hey - enjoy sim flight at whatever level your desires and budget allow with whatever sim software you like. It's all good and it's great that we have so many solid options to fly the friendly sim skies.

22 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

I’m not really at odds with the views which say you can enjoy a flight sim with whatever hardware you use.  (I do think that flying with keyboard only or a simple joystick is limiting on trying to create the illusion of being in a cockpit, however)

But what I was  picked up on was  this, which I now see can be read two ways

18 hours ago, loki said:

1.“ New sims require so much new gear, “etc.  Just that bald statement.    That wasn’t what I meant ,but I can see how it was understood . No, had I  been more comprehensive , it’s not the sim that requires the new peripherals, it’s the OS that the sim requires, that the peripherals won’t probably work with.

2..  What I meant needed the”  For me… “. bit, inasmuch that new sims need a much more powerful computer with modern Windows O Ss. That’s what I ain’t got.

Im running FSX on Windows XP, 😭, and I very much doubt my peripherals created for XP, —Cougar HOTAS, TRACKIR 4, Spitsim joystick and rudder pedals, FS. Commander, Fs recorder, -would been able to work on these new O.Ss. 😀. Only way I would find out means buying the computer…and then they might not work…and , all in all, it isn’t worth the hassle , for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nels_Anderson said:

It's kind of sad that your need for "state of the art" controls is preventing you from enjoying the latest sim with a simpler setup, like many of the rest of us do.

It’s not a question of it being “sad”, Nels.  From what I have seen, the graphics, eye candy , on 2020( and now no doubt on 2024) are outstanding. But ,those (state of the art, as they were then) peripherals are what I’ve got and I’d lose a lot of enjoyment to be on 2020 with another joystick, and my present ones laying idle- just for the sake of the graphics.

some say the navigation abilities are not up to FSX, I don’t know, and that if the graphics in FSX were up to 2020 standard, then FSX would win hands down.?

Dunno…..but as I originally said, for me it is not worth the hassle. 

If I was rich I would have one room with my FSX ,and in another I’d have a 2020 setup, and delight in both, but like most, I can only have one practically speaking.

( now where’s that lottery ticket..?😀)

19 minutes ago, Cas141 said:

I’d lose a lot of enjoyment to be on 2020 with another joystick, and my present ones laying idle

Although I do not have MSFS(2020), I follow these threads very closely as part of my decision to purchase a newer version.

May I ask specifically which control input peripherals (make/model) do not work? I have seen very little negative comments on this being an issue.

This is just for my edification and consideration with my peripherals and a possible version 2020/2024 upgrade.

Thank you.

phrog x 2.jpg

I 'think' most any peripherals that have basic USB terminations, and I don't see USB going anywhere for a mighty long time, capable under Windows 7 and up will function as intended. That said, I suspect my Commodore 64 stuff is useless.😃 As Windows versions 'age out' needing a relatively recent OS on my machine would not surprise me. I mean, really, Windows 7 came out in 2009 in an industry where 6 months is an eternity.

• Like 1

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

4 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Although I do not have MSFS(2020), I follow these threads very closely as part of my decision to purchase a newer version.

May I ask specifically which control input peripherals (make/model) do not work? I have seen very little negative comments on this being an issue.

This is just for my edification and consideration with my peripherals and a possible version 2020/2024 upgrade.

Thank you.

Hi- Phrog. If your question is asked of me, I don’t know which of my peripherals don’t work on a Windows  11 computer. I  suspect those of mine (which supported Windows XP) may not work, thus it’s too much of a hassle ( and expense ) to find out😀

2 hours ago, Cas141 said:

I don’t know which of my peripherals don’t work on a Windows  11 computer.

AND...

6 hours ago, chicagorandy said:

I 'think' most any peripherals that have basic USB terminations, and I don't see USB going anywhere for a mighty long time,

I'm still confused as to Cas141's concern. I have read nothing about peripherals not working with Windows 11. And as Randy pointed out USB equipment should not be an issue. So I am completely confused. I am attempting to determine what the issue is that Cas141 stated... "require so much new gear, joystick, tracker, old peripherals" since I don't see this as anyone's gripe of MSFS(2020). Only possible issues with processor/RAM and/or internet connectivity.

And Cas, since you didn't answer my question concerning specific peripheral you may have, I can only suggest that you go to the manufacture's website (CH Products, ThrustMaster, Logitech, etc) and see if they say anything about Windows 11 compatibility.

On 6/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, Cas141 said:

For me, the new sims require so much new gear, joystick, tracker, old peripherals etc,

phrog x 2.jpg

How about we get this discussion back to the topic of the upcoming sim? The discussion of what peripherals do and don't (yes, there are some old peripherals that don't work, or don't work well on modern operating systems) work on Windows 10 and/or 11 can be taken elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, loki said:

How about we get this discussion back to the topic of the upcoming sim?

My apologies loki for attempting to assist someone with a question.

I doubt that this is the first, nor the last, discussion that takes a few winding roads along the way.

And whether hardware will work with the new version is quite appropriate to this discussion, which of course we don't know since we're still in the announcement mode for 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

5 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

My apologies loki for attempting to assist someone with a question.

I doubt that this is the first, nor the last, discussion that takes a few winding roads along the way.

And whether hardware will work with the new version is quite appropriate to this discussion, which of course we don't know since we're still in the announcement mode for 2024.

No need to apologize for trying to help. And nothing wrong with a discussion winding around a bit, however, these forums do have multiple topics/threads for good reason. Burying everything in one gigantic topic makes it harder for anyone to participate and/or find answers. Taking that question, assuming Cas141 is really interested in pursuing it, and possible solutions to a different topic would make it easier for anyone else with the same question or issues to find answers, alongside keeping this thread more directly about the upcoming sim.

Chicagorandy already answered the peripherals compatibility question a few posts above - USB peripherals only. I would add to that; some USB peripherals work better without their own driver/control panel software, and some require the programmable FSUIPC or Axis and Oh's interface.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Well, I am willing to answer and ask further re Phrogs points, (because I haven’t  seen anything assuring me that all hardware needing and using drivers for Windows  XP will work with Windows 11.) and   obviously such a discussion is not wanted here by you.

Though it does seem pertinent to some who may be contemplating buying MS2024 , whether” old” hardware will work with its required Windows OS, do you not think?

so, Loki, tell us where to write and those that wish to , can go there 😀.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, loki said:

keeping this thread more directly about the upcoming sim.

And thus concerns about what hardware/software will be compatible with that upcoming sim and W11, especially with MS becoming increasingly more dictatorial about system specs.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, tiger1962 said:

only Microsoft has the global network available to support this level of simulation

Further bolstering their virtual monopoly of the computer world.  I recall the abortive anti-trust suit against MS over twenty years ago, the joke on the internet then was a fake newspaper headline "Anti-Trust Lawsuit Dropped As Microsoft Buys US Government".

• Like 1