New Forum Software

Adrian K

16 minutes ago, chicagorandy said:

I just noticed that our profile Signature lines have disappeared? Being able to list what system we are running does help troubleshoot issues.

Or am I missing where to add my sig in this new software?

They are back,. Sorry, there are 100s and 100s of settings to adjust in this new forum software 🙂

1 minute ago, Adrian K said:

They are back,. Sorry, there are 100s and 100s of settings to adjust in this new forum software 🙂

Thanks Adrian, just found in profile settings!

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I am amazed at the number of new members I see signing up each day. This must be in part due to all the hard work creating the new site format. I welcome all of them and want them to know that there are so many of us here who are willing to help them learn and grow as part of the FlightSim community. I can only guess at the number for countries they represent. Love of aviation knows no borders or boundaries. 

• Like 2

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I am amazed at the number of new members I see signing up each day.

The "Like" button alone does it for me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

hi Adrian, 🙂

well met! 

big things in progress I see. thanks for the explanations. thumbsup!

Big changes, but feels ok. Clear good people are at the wheel. 

I was wondering, have  all old posts been moved over? (or will they) Those form a huge compendium of info after all.

(Looking at my post-count here makes me think they've all been moved over. 😉 So just checking.)

Thanks much for all the good work,

il. 😎

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

12 hours ago, Adrian K said:

NOTHING to apologze for. It must be a most daunting challenge to get everything necessary switched over to this whole new platform. It looks great by the way. Thanks for all the efforts.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I've been using the  "Search" selection within the "More" tab on top right of page.

Works Great!!! Been finding more and more things.

As an old Mamas & the Papas song used to say... "It's getting better every day..."

Thanks for all the hard work on the new site format!

phrog x 2.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, PhrogPhlyer said:

Its already here, just be sure to add .zip at the end of the file name.

It doesn't work for me. If I search for "abilene.zip", it gives not found. But the scenery file for Abilene regional is really called that way. Am I doing something wrong here?

flightsim-filenotfound.jpg

1 hour ago, oosterlo said:

It doesn't work for me. If I search for "abilene.zip", it gives not found. But the scenery file for Abilene regional is really called that way.

I also tried abilene.zip with no success, however when I searched abilene I found it right away,

Not sure why the search sometimes works with or without the .zip.

Could be that the search is for text fragments within the body each page, not the file?

phrog x 2.jpg

You could get used to the new look over time, but the user interface is really confusing and awkward. The previous menu titles could have been used here, such as "Downloads", "Forum", etc.

The way a file is downloaded is also incomprehensible: Why can't you download a file directly via the "File" symbol on the right in the file description, which would be logical, but you have to click on the picture first? It couldn't be more complicated.

And in general, the search function is extremely cumbersome. Why not adopt the logic of the previous search function? Above all, the search result should also deliver results where the search term is only partially contained.

Another comment on the forum: When you go to the next page of a thread, the window stays at the bottom of the browser instead of automatically scrolling up to show the first post of the next page.

I still think the new website should have been thoroughly tested first before going online.

• Like 2

• Founder
5 hours ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

Personally, I am tempted to give this site up, after using it for so many years.

The first thing I see when I open the site I can do without - MSFS News.

One should be able to opt out of this, as well as the two next items: Nels Corner and Recent Uploads.

Jorgen

So you're not interested in news, feature articles or files? Those are kind of the heart of the web site...

Why don't you just bookmark the exact page within the site that you prefer? Your browser should be able to bookmark whatever page you want so you can jump right to it.

• Founder
3 hours ago, rickret said:

You had a great site, this isn't worth the time to figure it out.  Can't understand why you "fixed" some thing that was not broken!  Sorry I'm gone!

R

It's a shame you cannot understand, but the thing is, the old site was broken, or soon would be. It was running on software that was 10+ years old and no longer supported. Sooner or later it would simply cease to work, so being proactive and moving to a new platform before that happened was the right thing to do.

• Like 6

Definitely bring back the "ZipDive" feature or whatever Feature that allows the User to see the contents of a particular Download, broken down into the individual Folders and Filenames for the Download in question, just like it would show up in Windows Explorer. That Feature is one of the most important in the Library.

Also... I would like to know the reason why my Post Count was reduced from some 2,500 Posts down to 611 Posts?

Lots of bugs to work out; migrating a Site as large as this one to new Software is a daunting task, but I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and allow you some time to work everything out.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

9 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Definitely bring back the "ZipDive" feature or whatever Feature that allows the User to see the contents of a particular Download, broken down into the individual Folders and Filenames for the Download in question, just like it would show up in Windows Explorer. That Feature is one of the most important in the Library.

"View" is what you are requesting! 😀

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

On 1/29/2023 at 1:11 AM, PhrogPhlyer said:

I also tried abilene.zip with no success, however when I searched abilene I found it right away,

Not sure why the search sometimes works with or without the .zip.

Could be that the search is for text fragments within the body each page, not the file?

Indeed you are probably right. Still there is no way to search for file names. That means I can not convert the old links on my site, which are based on file name, to the new site.  That's a real pity.

6 minutes ago, oosterlo said:

That means I can not convert the old links on my site, which are based on file name,

Hopefully this will improve, as so many other member observations have, That's what this forum topic is for.

phrog x 2.jpg

WARNING - CRANKY GEEZER CURMUDGEON RANT FOLLOWS -

To those looking to bail, protest or in general have their undies in a knot over this necessary new forum software, I would respectfully suggest re-reading Adrian's first post when the conversion was made on Jan 13th....... a scant 18 days ago.

"Please make suggestions here - It will take several weeks until we get the final design.

Please stay civil, we are aware of missing features, they will come back."

So...how's about we chill a little bit and give the good folks a chance to get everything migrated over? I'm mean really... we're not curing any major diseases or world problems, we're just playing flying games.

END OF RANT

• Like 4

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

1 hour ago, chicagorandy said:

"Please make suggestions here - It will take several weeks until we get the final design.

Please stay civil, we are aware of missing features, they will come back."

Says it all!

phrog x 2.jpg

Everyone just keep in mind that is wasn't because they just wanted to confuse everyone with new site software, it was a security issue with the old site software.  If you have ever noticed that Simouthouse still uses the same software as the old flightsim,com.  They are NOT a secure site and they don't care.

Just my tuppence worth! 🙊

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

38 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

wasn't because they just wanted to confuse everyone

No!?! lol

The more we all work the site and see how to get around, the sooner we can find any actual issues, compared to preferences. The site's coming along nicely. Thanks again for all the effort.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

6 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Says it all!

I will add my 2 cents worth, it will be short and sweet.

Cats Rule!!!

• Haha 1
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality