New Forum Software

Adrian K

I may not be seeing where/how, but can the aircraft download files be searched buy complete aircraft vs repaints? Thanks.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I must say that I'm impressed with the work that has been done so far on the site!

Jan

• Like 1

Intel i7 9700K @ 5.4 GHz, be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Motherboard, VGA RTX 3080 TI Graphics Card, Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PCIe M.2 😄 drive
Western Digital 2TB WD Black Data drive, be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

5 hours ago, douga66 said:

The problem I am seeing with the file search is that you can't get any results using the original file name, it is not even displayed on the landing page for the actual file. This is a must fix. Of course if I am missing something here please let us know.

You can using the search box:Search.thumb.jpg.abca5ff1da6b5aa7a0ab2d3f4cc19cec.jpg

Searching FS2004 Guatemala Air Force Cessna 208B retuns:

Showing results for 'FS2004 Guatemala Air Force Cessna 208B' in files. - FlightSim.Com

There you still have the option ; 

1 hour ago, Adrian K said:

Take these base models for instance. Originally linked to the old library but now I could not find them here. Only repaints for the model will show up using various criteria but not the base model which is what is supposed to be looked for.

See attachment

Capture.JPG

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

16 minutes ago, douga66 said:

Take these base models for instance. Originally linked to the old library but now I could not find them here. Only repaints for the model will show up using various criteria but not the base model which is what is supposed to be looked for.

See attachment

Capture.JPG

By searching  the term 'Oskari Syynimaa ATR 42-500'

I found this:

19 minutes ago, Adrian K said:

By searching  the term 'Oskari Syynimaa ATR 42-500'

I found this:

I did the same exact search and nothing came up the first time and next time without the quotes I get all of the repaints.

It is really important to be able to use file name for searches though. I hope you can install this option.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/13/2023 at 9:17 PM, flightman said:

This new forum based set up is awful. For years I've logged in most days to get the latest news and press releases at www.flightsim.com. Now that's gone and instead of the user friendly front page with images there's just a list of articles by title buried in the forum structure.

The file library was like a database and had search tools and filters which worked. Now it appears you have to use a forum based search window. Forum searches are notoriously sensitive to exact wording, and without a host sim filter will return resutls for multiple categories you don't need.

This redesign is a huge step backwards and if things don't improve quickly users will abandon this site in droves.

A agree and support this comment.
The old format was really user-friendly and most practical for getting quick news or items for my wish list.
Giorigo Goggi

On 1/21/2023 at 4:43 AM, Wilhelm said:

Can't download anything (Austria). Always get "403 forbidden" ???

Hi I have the same problem and I am also from AUSTRIA. Is it possible that this a problem of the country?

What is the opinion from the admins about this case?

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

43 minutes ago, Flattermann said:

Hi I have the same problem and I am also from AUSTRIA. Is it possible that this a problem of the country?

What is the opinion from the admins about this case?

Good News, I tried another download using VPN and got no 403 forbidden but the download worked.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

FWIW I don't care for the new look, too spartan.  New software is fine but couldn't you have kept the old comfortable FlightSim appearance.   But I've been here too long (since spring '98) to be deterred by drab decor.

Haven't snooped around enough to comment on what works or doesn't;  I'm sure you'll take care of the latter.  Only issue I had was at my end - couldn't write anything til I allowed another script in NoScript.

The aircraft pictures or thumbnails are not quite as nice as in the old website. Now mostly only the mid section of the aircraft is shown in the downloads, and not very clear, making it impossible to see what the aircrafts look like before downloading. Also, the descriptions do not always let you know if it is a complete aircraft. I liked the old eay were you could look at the contents of the file before downloading. Will this be possible when the transition is complete??

• Thanks 1

The aircraft pictures or thumbnails are not quite as nice as in the old website.

I think, it is available. It seems that owners need to upload a square picture of sufficient resolution (or another format, where the important details fit into a centred square) and define it as primary screenshot. Then it is as nice as it used to be.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM,

NVidia Geforce RTX 2600, 3 Monitors (two 1280 x 1024, one 1920 x 1080),

SSD 1000 GB and SSD 500 GB

Guest Nubian 131

Any one please tell me how I have to log in, as I have been a member for many years and have just used my user name and password to log in, and I am unable to find my originally connected email address for the site.   

Does this mean I have to sign up as a new user. or am I doomed to find another site for 2004 downloads and info

Nubian 131

17 hours ago, Cricket29 said:

The aircraft pictures or thumbnails are not quite as nice as in the old website.

The new upload is much simpler than the old, allowing larger jpeg pics, You select the primary pic which becomes the high quality thumbnail. The poor quality ones are previous small thumbnails stretched to fill a larger pixel location. These will improve as the item owners upload better quality  pics. 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Really like the by FS type Landing Pages. Just wondering what is the intended function of the Filemanager quick link? Thanks.

image.jpeg.ae5e45c6ff4e4fd79dc05dc04a92e201.jpeg

phrog x 2.jpg

4 hours ago, Guest Nubian 131 said:

Any one please tell me how I have to log in, as I have been a member for many years and have just used my user name and password to log in, and I am unable to find my originally connected email address for the site. 

Like you I am a long time member of flightsim (2006).

I thought I had Oskari Syynimaa's ATR 42-300 base pack and flightsim was in the process of transitioning over to the new layout.

I couldn't remember my original email address either. I wanted the base pack for an Empire Airlines livery so I bit the bullet and set up a new account.

Which begs the question I can finally ask: What's the difference between a Member and a Registered User?

54 minutes ago, Macroburst said:

Appears to be a placeholder for Subcategories to the right.

Could be temporary?

Thanks, we'll wait and see. Gets better every day.

phrog x 2.jpg

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Really like the by FS type Landing Pages. Just wondering what is the intended function of the Filemanager quick link? Thanks.

image.jpeg.ae5e45c6ff4e4fd79dc05dc04a92e201.jpeg

Where do you go for the landing pages? So far I only get a generic page that says do you want to load a file?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, douga66 said:

Where do you go for the landing pages? So far I only get a generic page that says do you want to load a file?

Click on Discussion tab at top of page, then select from drop-down list.

• Thanks 1

phrog x 2.jpg

As far as I can see, there is no way to search a file by it's file name. I do hope there are plans to bring this functionality back.

I run a website with links to freeware sceneries, many of them linking to flightsim.com. Unfortunately they are all broken now as they use the file names in the links.  So I hope the functionality to search by file name will come back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oosterlo said:

So I hope the functionality to search by file name will come back.

Its already here, just be sure to add .zip at the end of the file name.

phrog x 2.jpg

I just noticed that our profile Signature lines have disappeared? Being able to list what system we are running does help troubleshoot issues.

Or am I missing where to add my sig in this new software?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx