L188 Electras Thru the Years

BillD22

Here's a collection of shots of the Lockheed L188 "Electra" in various North American operator liveries from the initial deliveries to Eastern Airlines in 1959 up to the last two remaining operators flying the type today. This is the Team FS KBT Electra for FSX converted over to MSFS.

A shot of the Allison company aircraft that was used for testing the L188's D501-13 turboprop engines with their distinctive pointed prop spinner, streamlined nacelles, and engine exhaust soot pans. These are essentially the same engines that powered the Navy P3 and Air Force C130 although the 130 engines were mounted under the wing. Air Force pilots always liked to say that the Navy engines were "upside down."

A1.jpg

A pair of Eastern Airlines L188 liveries 17 years apart - the initial 1959 delivery of "Fly Eastern's Prop-Jet Electra" scheme and the later 1976 "Hockey Stick" livery with a U.S. Bicentennial plaque. By the time the Hockey Stick paint showed up Eastern's Electras had long since been relegated to flying the hourly DC to New York shuttle.

L10 EAL PJ.jpg

L9 EAL 76.jpg

Two California-based operators from the 1970s in PSA's "Catch Our Smile" and Air California's "Sunburst" liveries. Both airlines used the L188 to fly to high-altitude airports such as Lake Tahoe where the early model jets had difficulty operating. The Air Cal shot shows the airplane landing at South Lake Tahoe airport (KTVL -Elevation 6257 feet) - a popular ski destination.

L3 PSA.jpg

L4 Cal.jpg

Alaska-based Reeve Aleutian was the last airline to operate the Electra in regular passenger service with the last flight coming in 1999.

L7 Reeve.jpg

The last two remaining North American operators of the L188 in 2022 are Canadian-based Buffalo Airways in Yellowknife, Yukon Territory, and Air Spray aerial firefighting service based at Red Deer Regional Airport in Alberta.

L2 Buf.jpg

L8 Buf Eng.jpg

L5 Spray.jpg

L6 Spray Eng.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Very nice shots!..... I just took delivery of the Lockheed Electra 10 A... The plan is to follow Amelia Earhart’s flights, well thats the idea.....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Hi Bill,

The Electra pictures brought back some good memories. In the 1960's I worked in Rochester, NY, but did heavy business in Fort Worth, TX. I used to fly frequently to Dallas via Chicago. The usual flight from Rochester to Chicago was on a Business Class Electra. It had a curved sofa in the rear of the cabin, and young, pretty Stewardesses served free cocktails in nice miniskirts.

Those were the days!

Hi Bill,

The Electra pictures brought back some good memories. In the 1960's I worked in Rochester, NY, but did heavy business in Fort Worth, TX. I used to fly frequently to Dallas via Chicago. The usual flight from Rochester to Chicago was on a Business Class Electra. It had a curved sofa in the rear of the cabin, and young, pretty Stewardesses served free cocktails in nice miniskirts.

Those were the days!

Thanks for the comments Larry and John. Yes - those were the days for air travel. Comfortable seats, free cocktails, friendly flight attendants, on time departures - what a concept!

Edited by BillD22

Thanks for the comments Larry and John. Yes - those were the days for air travel. Comfortable seats, free cocktails, friendly flight attendants, on time departures - what a concept!

Yes I remember those days as well. My first flight on a 707 had wider seats in coach than 1st class on any commercial flight I've flown on in the last several years.

Having said that, flying in the "Sky Lounge" of a 747 to and from Narita in the late 1980's was pretty cool. Especially when someone played the full sized piano up there in flight. ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2024 at 7:04 AM, capstivi said:

Beautiful story and wonderful aircraft, how can I download the converted version for MFS2020.
Thanks

Thanks. I'm not sure there's a downloadable version anywhere.  You have to convert the FSX airplane to FS2020 using a conversion tool.  That's what I did.  One caution:  the cockpits don't work.

In my opinion, the best current sim versions of the Electra are in X-Plane 12.  These are also FSX conversions (already done for download) and feature very good exteriors and accurate (mostly) working cockpits as well as an extensive library of liveries.

Here's a link to a YouTube video with a "how-to "guide for FSX to FS2020 conversions.

As an alternative,  there is a downloadable FS2020 version of the FSX P3 which was a derivative of and closely resembles the Electra.  It uses the FS2020 B747 cockpit as a stand-in to get over the cockpit problems with the conversion tool. I think you can download it from flightsim.to

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Bill