Cessna 172 Skylark's ignition key

Jim Hall

When in 3D cockpit the key either won't turn at all or will turn one position and stay there. I have to switch to the 2D cockpit to turn the ignition key. A reality damper. Any ideas?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

I presume this is the default C-172? What control are you using to change the key position? When I use the mouse scroll wheel I have to be sure the "hand" symbol shows before I can scroll a change (awkward), but pressing the 'M' key then allows the + and - keys to change the key position.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I am using the default C-172 and the mouse to turn the key. I also wait till I see the hand before turning the key. It all works fine with the 2-D cockpit but haphazardly with the 3-D. Though I can use the keyboard keys or switch to the 2-D cockpit it does diminish the effect. Not a big problem and thanks for taking the time to reply.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Good that you caught that, Charlie. The C-175 Skylark had a geared Continental GO-300 engine (max 3200 RPM vs 2700), rather than a direct drive, but was otherwise almost the same as the C-172 Skyhawk. This gearing allowed the engine to develop 175 HP vs 145 in the non-geared version. The gearing used a .75 gear ratio to reduce the 3200 prop RPM to 2400.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Good that you caught that, Charlie. The C-175 Skylark had a geared Continental GO-300 engine (max 3200 RPM vs 2700), rather than a direct drive, but was otherwise almost the same as the C-172 Skyhawk. This gearing allowed the engine to develop 175 HP vs 145 in the non-geared version. The gearing used a .75 gear ratio to reduce the 3200 prop RPM to 2400.

And that extra 30hp sure came in handy when near gross!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.