Installing 3rd party scenery/Airports

After searching this forum for "install scenery" and "installing scenery airports" and getting nothing useful - plan B - start a new thread.

I downloaded from here (via GitHub) the Niagara (NY) airport and scenery (including the Falls, I hope). But there are no installation instructions.

The developer must think we know, becasue he knows.

So, I'll admit to you all, I don't know.

lil' help, please?

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

It's a custom install from the Microsoft Store... so, here's my Path (there is Nothing in the Community folder):

The zip file consists of a main folder and subfolders as seen in the attachment..

Path to OneStore.png

Kiag zip.png

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

It's a custom install from the Microsoft Store... so, here's my Path (there is Nothing in the Community folder):

The zip file consists of a main folder and subfolders as seen in the attachment..

To install you just copy the add-on folder into the Community folder.

ok...

I extracted the zip file and attempted to move the "airport-kiag-niagra" folder to the Community folder, and got this error:

Move to Community.png

I might just contact the author if this file for instructions... unless someone has an answer.

:) thanks

This is the reason I said in another post that it would have been better for developers to use the Marketplace and install automatically from there. It's fine for us old timers that have spent years copying and pasting folders and delving into file directories to install addons but the younger generation and up-until-now non-pc users won't have a clue.

Come on devs, get yer act together.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Come on devs, get yer act together.

While going through the Marketplace would simplify the process, I'm not sure the process to get add-ons uploaded to it is widely available at the moment.

As for the younger generation, don't discount them. Many of them are more than capable of figuring out how to do the install, not to mention being responsible for creating many of the early add-ons that are available.

It doesnt seem long, i have dirs in my Community folder with names longer than that

Could it be he is traying to install a folder that contains a subfolder?

This has been exhaustively explained, make sure the folder inside your addon already contain the scenery files and not another folder with the same title

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

It doesnt seem long, i have dirs in my Community folder with names longer than that

Could it be he is traying to install a folder that contains a subfolder?

Look at the screenshots they provided, their install is buried pretty deep in the folder structure.

Look at the screenshots they provided, their install is buried pretty deep in the folder structure.

Exactly, yes...then this is the cause

But a note to the OP

This is very common. The freeware uploaders dont care much because they asume everybody knows this since handling folders have been the same since FS98 !

Each user when downloading a zip file must do it to a temporary directory of your choice (usually Downloads Folder) then with your mouse you go clicking each directory of the zip file to see how many there are, once you get to the last directory which contains the scenery files you click on THAT one, copy and paste to the community folder.

I think nearly 100% of freewares have double folders or more in their zip files.

This is a standard procedure you must always do. Manually check the directory structure

Kapitan

Another point, how is all this going to work with the XBox version. Can you delve into file structures on an XBox? I have never owned one so i dont know if this is even possible.

I did a fair bit of scenery design back in the FS2000 to 2004 days. It's not that difficult to provide an installer to simplify the process.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Another point, how is all this going to work with the XBox version. Can you delve into file structures on an XBox? I have never owned one so i dont know if this is even possible.

I did a fair bit of scenery design back in the FS2000 to 2004 days. It's not that difficult to provide an installer to simplify the process.

Simple answer is that it won't work for the Xbox version. They are locked down and users don't have direct access to any of the files or folders. Only add-ons available through the built-in Marketplace will be available on the console side.

For paywares maybe

For freewares they dont have this obligation

Because they are doing things fast, sometimes updating several files

So they just click in a directory and with the right mouse button choose "create zip file" and this will create a zip file of the directory, which will then create a subfolder when unzipped.

Kapitan

Xbox will have only paywares from the Marketplace

Says who?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Just my intuition but they might do it...who knows, if they do it great!

Xbox is a console not made to be fussing with directories.

Can you add freewares to an xbox game today? I dont know

Ive never seen my nephews doing it

They can make everything for xbox but it will never have the flexibility of a PC and there will always be stuff in the course of both sims that people say: "is it available for xbox" mmm not yet

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Just my intuition but they might do it...who knows, if they do it great!

Xbox is a console not made to be fussing with directories.

Can you add freewares to an xbox game today? I dont know

Ive never seen my nephews doing it

They can make everything for xbox but it will never have the flexibility of a PC and there will always be stuff in the course of both sims that people say: "is it available for xbox" mmm not yet

Yes, you can add free add-ons, or DLC, to games on consoles. You just can't copy them directly to the directory structure. They have to go through either the Xbox store or through the game itself. For MSFS, this would be the Marketplace. Personally, I think it would be in their best interests to allow free add-ons in the Marketplace, and haven't seen anything explicitly saying otherwise yet.

ok.. so getting back on topic...

When I installed MSFS from the MS Store, per the link in my e-mail notification, it started the download with a huge file. I changed the install path on the first opportunity that was presented. And the rest of the install whent without incident. I was able to start the program and fly the first time it completed to the Main Menu.

However, when I went looking for the .exe file to enter it into MSI Afterburner to start the overclock with the app, I noticed I had a path on my C: drive under Users... in addition to the path on the N: drive that I changed it to during installation.

The C drive has an _8wekyb3d folder with nearly everything... a packages/Community and Official, and in the Official is a folder called One Store, where all the Asobo folders for aircraft and airports, and all the FS-base folders.

On the N: drive is the same data in a folder called "WPSystem". In that folder is a very long (almost 40 characters all number and dashes) folder with them contains a "Local" folder and under that "Packages" file with contains the Local/Packages/ then the _8wekyb3d folder and the digital ownership folder.

In the _8wekyb3d folder is the same stuff thats on the C: drive.

But, while the C drive path is 9gb... the N: path is almost 18gb.

I still cannot locate the the .exe file in either place.

But the program works fine, loads as quick as most and flies without stutter.

I just wanna know where put this airport file.

PS. I did the registry hack to enable long file names and still got the same error. It seems to be caused by one and all actually, of the subfolder files.

Edited by stempski

have you searched for a Community folder in the N drive?

if there is copy your airport there.

The first time you install and chose custom install the game doesnt install properly as commanded.

My Community is in my D ssd drive under a custom directory I named

What you need to do is go to Start, settings, Apps, locate Flight Simulator app, right click on it and choose "Move" and select your N drive

It will will move orderly everything there

Kapitan

Yes.. there is a Community folder on the install path on the N drive... thats the one where I get the error.

And if it didn't install properly, why is it working so well?

Aerosoft has a free airport, Paderborn-Lippstadt, in the Marketplace, so free add-ons are allowed.

Indeed, one freeware against ...what 1000 freewares so far found in msaddons, allflightsmod, github, etc

thats the thing you see...

as soon as an interesting file comes out some kid asks: "Cool, can I download it for Xbox?"

sure, if you handle folders or someone does it for you, get a pendrive plug it in, copy and paste to your local xbox dir...sure

and we are back to the initial point haha

Kapitan

Indeed, one freeware against ...what 1000 freewares so far found in msaddons, allflightsmod, github, etc

thats the thing you see...

as soon as an interesting file comes out some kid asks: "Cool, can I download it for Xbox?"

sure, if you handle folders or someone does it for you, get a pendrive plug it in, copy and paste to your local xbox dir...sure

and we are back to the initial point haha

I'm not saying the selection will match what will be available across the many websites for the PC, it most certainly won't, just that freeware is possible in the Marketplace. More will come as the market grows. At the end of the day the two markets will be slightly different, though they will overlap. Consoles, like the Xbox, have always been about simplicity. You plug it in, load the disc, or download the game, and off you go. No need to mess with hardware requirements, drivers, files or folders (indeed, it is not possible to access files or folders at all) etc. People will need to make a choice between ease of use and flexibility.