FS 2020 is a Hot Mess

I still play FS9, and I still dearly love it and play it daily. I might even do so after getting MSFS.

Having worked in tech support call centers with software that would bring business's to their knees during a bad release, I find the amount of negativity here puzzling, given that MSFS is.......a game.

How many games/applications are released before they should be? Probably too many. Maybe that's the case here. But world has worked this way for awhile, and buying something this early in the game has risks. MSFS probably needs some time to be ironed out, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

If I had a computer that could even touch this game I'd be exctatic to have that "problem", but I'll be awhile getting that solved. :D

One last thing, when you call someone a "fanboy" on an internet forum, it really says more about you, than the person you are labeling.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn’t say it’s a “hot mess.” Here is what I have to say, enjoyed a nice flight from EDDS, Stuttgart, Germany to LEGZ, Zaragoza, Spain today enjoying the lovely fall colours in P3DV5. Try doing this flight in MSFS.

John C.

Most people, including myself, are quick to criticize and slow to commend

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

It has some bugs but far from a "hot mess". In fact have not had a single game breaking bug, has run very smooth including flying low over Las Vegas and Los Angeles, have not had any program crashes nor any crashes into invisible walls as FSX still had. All the problems are more annoyances though the bug reporting system they want makes it seem they do not want to have bugs reported by all the hoops you have to jump though.

I still play FS9, and I still dearly love it and play it daily. I might even do so after getting MSFS.

Having worked in tech support call centers with software that would bring business's to their knees during a bad release, I find the amount of negativity here puzzling, given that MSFS is.......a game.

How many games/applications are released before they should be? Probably too many. Maybe that's the case here. But world has worked this way for awhile, and buying something this early in the game has risks. MSFS probably needs some time to be ironed out, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

If I had a computer that could even touch this game I'd be exctatic to have that "problem", but I'll be awhile getting that solved. :D

One last thing, when you call someone a "fanboy" on an internet forum, it really says more about you, than the person you are labeling.

The clue is in the accusation of 'fanboy' which I believe is a projection. There must be a contingent of simmers out there who are partial to FSX, P3D or X-Plane that have invested heavily into those sims and now realise that the new hotness is quite frankly - amazing. Bugs and temporary shortfalls aside, there is no dispute amongst objective, experienced simmers that MFS has a LOT going for it out of the box.

It has also won a lot of new fans and gotten people talking about MFS that have never really heard of it. Personally, I've had a number of people approach me about it after posting a few videos on Facebook who are blown away by the geographic detail in places familiar to people who live there.

It's all very positive and it bodes well for the community and the third-party business

Wouldn’t say it’s a “hot mess.” Here is what I have to say, enjoyed a nice flight from EDDS, Stuttgart, Germany to LEGZ, Zaragoza, Spain today enjoying the lovely fall colours in P3DV5. Try doing this flight in MSFS.

John C.

Just don't fly to Keflavik :o

Still not fixed unfortunately (CTD)

John C.

Sure. That’s bad and needs fixing. But I would bet my house on MSFS if we played The ‘which flight sim is missing the most airstrips’ game.

Anyway - it’s not a competition. MSFS is great for players like me. Looks awesome right out of the box, Low buy-in, works fine for GA VFR, autopilot working fine but if others value the huge aircraft range and complexity of established sims then that’s also fine.

Please forgive my ignorance. I am an crotchety old man (according to my wife) and not current on a lot of the newer name calling references. What is a "fanboy" and are there no "fangirls"?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Sure. That’s bad and needs fixing. But I would bet my house on MSFS if we played The ‘which flight sim is missing the most airstrips’ game.

Anyway - it’s not a competition. MSFS is great for players like me. Looks awesome right out of the box, Low buy-in, works fine for GA VFR, autopilot working fine but if others value the huge aircraft range and complexity of established sims then that’s also fine.

Yes you're right, it's not a competition. I will probably stay with P3DV5 for awhile, not because it's better or worst, but because it works for me. All my add-ons work and I only have room for one sim on my SSD. From what I've seen of MSFS from watching over 50 hours of videos and reading lots of posts, showcasing the good and the bad, MSFS still needs work, but where is shines, it's truly outstanding. P3DV5 still needs work as well. Try flying in the Canadian Arctic without ORBX vector. It's a "hot mess"

Far as those 37,000 airports, one of the first videos I watch for MSFS was where a MSFS pilot was flying around and seen a pop-up that there was an airport. He decided to land there and it looked like a strip mall next to runway. Did a little research and the airport had closed sometime ago and was now a strip mall next to a road (old runway?). Kudo's to MSFS for being able to determine there was a strip mall from the video that was posted, but there was no longer an airport there.

Finally, there are still add-ons in the library being created for FS98, just as long as they're happy, that's the main thing.

I wouldn’t call this a hot mess. Yes, definitely problems along the way with this massive leap in technology. But, you stick with it, if your heart is in it. Eventually, things smooth out. Just working on my first video with FS2020. Loads of fun, mastering landings into Tenzing-Hillary airport with magnificent scenery!

Yes there are certainly issues with using Bing as a base as it is often years out of date. My only dalliance with serious Simming was FSX vanilla so it was easy to leave behind. If I had a fully mature product with a heavy time and money investment and no SSD space I would find it hard to walk away.

I just throw my two penneth into these threads because some people are wildly exaggerating the impact of the issues when the truth is that at least for GA VFR the autopilot works fine once you understand what confuses it. And that is by far the biggest issue a new simmer will come up against.

I think it would be a real shame if a whole new generation of potential simmers were discouraged from experiencing what for this new simmer is an incredible experience delivered by an amazing feat of software development.

The whole world or a good quality facsimile thereof, all for £60. When I wake up it really is a case of ‘where will I fly today.’

No, seriously its the worst sim ever...

Yes, you can stop there.

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. That is the best description of a Hot Mess.

What is that a Sunset simulator with nothing to see but a orange ball?

Some people are satisfied with nothing and that pic shows it.

Yes, you can stop there.

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. That is the best description of a Hot Mess.

What is that a Sunset simulator with nothing to see but a orange ball?

Some people are satisfied with nothing and that pic shows it.

You could assume that, our you could know that was a VFR VOR to VOR flight from North Vegas to Santa Ynez in real weather (100+ temps and a little hazy).. A couple hours of flight flawless.

But yes, my friend, it's just a sunset shot... rock on my hater... rock on.

Yep, the upper air wind problem appeared, but they're working on that as they have said....

I always forget that FSX was perfect on day one :D

Ever flown anything heavier than your office chair? Or just come around to spew about stuff you "had the opportunity to evaluate" (quote you from earlier in this thread)... Language that pretty much anyone can recognize as meaning "well, I had an hour or so to fart around with it, and not really do anything meaningful..."

Edited by Kurtvw

No, seriously its the worst sim ever... :rolleyes:

Terrible I have to suffer this kind of flying....

You are so right Kurt. What sort of role playing is it when you find yourself low on fuel during a GA Nile tour flight. Pull up the map and identify the nearest airfield and vector towards it, line up for landing and touch down. Get a parking spot from ground control and taxi over. Call up services and wait while a fuel truck actually appears in the distance and eventually makes its way over to you. Admittedly you don't get a little guy connecting a fuel hose, the process is done via the pop up screen, but still so immersive.

Once the fuel was complete, back on to ground for a straight out departure. I had a minor flutter when my flightplan defaulted to WP1 as I was taking off, but once airborne picked up where I left off.

It doesn't get much better than that! (Well would have been even better with an Egyptian sunset but the blazing mid-day heat nearly as good).

Vern.

You are so right Kurt. What sort of role playing is it when you find yourself low on fuel during a GA Nile tour flight. Pull up the map and identify the nearest airfield and vector towards it.

A good pilot calculates his fuel burn before he even gets in the plane... try to do better, man. It's a sim, not a game. Real pixels could have been hurt by your lack of planning. :p

That screenshot I could replicate in FS9!

I always forget that FSX was perfect on day one :D

This gets repeated over and over and it's a ridiculous statement.

FSX worked perfectly well. Aircraft, AI, ATC, navigation, weather, just about everything functioned well.

I did a quick search for the FSX service pack fixes and they appeared to be fixes for activation, performance, compatibility with old add-ons, multiplayer and added DX10.

You can't compare the two regarding problems, MSFS is in it's own universe.

You are so right Kurt. What sort of role playing is it when you find yourself low on fuel during a GA Nile tour flight.

From what I've read that's because the fuel usage in the sim is one of the many things way off. lol

Mark Daniels

This gets repeated over and over and it's a ridiculous statement.

FSX worked perfectly well.

No, it didn't, it was a complete disaster, MS was slow as molasses to fix it. 3rd party vendors made it what you remember. Not MS.

MS was then and is today incapable of dealing with anything at a level of 'weeks' and can only deal with things on the level of 'quarters' and only if they want your business.

ATC was better... True.

Frames were way worse, sim performance was atrocious, weather was a joke.

FS2020 is a huge leap forward, but still very over promised. It has it's glaring holes.

But to suggest that FSX was better on launch day? No. If you think that, you weren't there.

But to suggest that FSX was better on launch day? No. If you think that, you weren't there.

Huh? It was and I was. lol

FSX had performance issues, still does, why I use FS9. I said that.

The core elements of the sim all worked. You tell me what was broken??? Every core element of MSFS has issues. Don't take my word for it, it's all over the internet.

Not without $500 worth of 3rd party mods you couldn't. Be real.

Huh again??? My FS9 looks like this now without any payware minus the orange glow on the VC. Looking at it again, my FS9 might be better! lol

In the screenshot I see the sun but don't see any color or brightness drop off moving across the horizon away from the sun. I hope this is because the view isn't showing enough width? Otherwise...all I have to say is OMFG! lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Every core element of MSFS has issues. Don't take my word for it, it's all over the internet.

A lot of stuff is all over the internet. You clearly don't own it... it works far better than any other version of FS I have ever had, and I have owned every one of them since FS2. Yes, it has issues. But it is not unusable.

Do you remember how bad the default airliners were in old versions? Yeah.. They are that bad. But do you remember how the GA stuff always worked just fine? Yeah, it still does...

Don't stand up old versions too proudly. They all had their hard starts that have been cushioned in our memory by the passage of decades. FS9 is as much like FS2020 as a tomato is like an apple because they are both red.

As far as my screenshot, it has been reduced by 4x its original quality and taken down from HDR because... well.. FS.com file size requires it and HDR doesn't capture well to SDR unless you're some kind of photo-editing master... I am not one. I can't help you with your disappointment, but I assure you that you can't play FS9 at 4k HDR, so please.. be real.

Edited by Kurtvw