Another favorite of mine! The p-51 mustang!

Very nice Rick! I understand that when taking off in the Mustang, you can only take off with partial power.

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice Rick! I understand that when taking off in the Mustang, you can only take off with partial power.

David - In a similator environment, they're not that bad. I get the 51 lined up on the runway, and when all is "go" I come in with the power smoothly for a bit and then come in with F4 full. The bird very quickly comes up with 60" MP which is okay! Mind you, I do have the computer settings for "P" factor turned down!

David, even in a RW flight situation, a Cessna 180, will demand that it take the lead in what it wants to do in the "dance" to takefoff! In RW flying with the 180, I learned quickly to only use partial power. The takeoffs were much more pleasing and easy for someone else to watch! :cool: Flying the P51, I can come in with full power F4 and it will move quickly, but, it won't be on the ground very long!

Give it whirl David, you've flown many on flight sim, you will do just fine! Enjoy!

Rick :cool:

Thanks Rick!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

David - If you haven't downloaded any of the P-51's yet, try to find a base aircraft by Warwick Carter, there are many many repaints for the Warwick Carter P-51. Up to you, I now have 10 P-51 aircraft, you won't ever get tired of flying them!

Enjoy - Rick!

The P-51 is a fun bird to fly and has plenty of juice. They can be a bit touchy on occasion, but once you get the hang of a particular model they are OK. I had several some years back, but I backed a lot of my Mil birds up to an external drive that decided to go south on me. I'll have to download them again sometime. :cool: :)

Larry

David - If you haven't downloaded any of the P-51's yet, try to find a base aircraft by Warwick Carter, there are many many repaints for the Warwick Carter P-51. Up to you, I now have 10 P-51 aircraft, you won't ever get tired of flying them!

Enjoy - Rick!

+1!! I have tried several P-51s and Spitfires with a FlightSim. I've enjoyed almost every one. Though, among those I've tired my favorite is the Dunkirk Spitfire. Perhaps because my mother always talked about being up all night during the Dunkirk Little Ships evacauation and listening to live coverage from there on the radio! She said she was so nervous that she washed, ironed, and generally got the whole house cleaner while listening to that radiocast than it ever was before or since!!

Being primarily a rotary wing guy RW, the closest I ever got to flying either was a T-28. But a now deceased neighbor of mine flew P-51s during WW11. He said the biggest issues newbies had with either the P-51 or the Spitfire was applying too much prop torque before getting up enough air speed across the wings caused them to flip upside down on the runway or at very low altitude during takeoff.

On my first flight of every P-51 or Spitfire I've simmed, I've tried to make that takeoff flip happen. (After all, while simming it's not expensive to crash and you don't end up dead for doing it either.) ;):D I've not been able to duplicate the takeoff flip yet. I've had many an engine die but as to this date, no flip.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

+1!!

On my first flight of every P-51 or Spitfire I've simmed, I've tried to make that takeoff flip happen. (After all, while simming it's not expensive to crash and you don't end up dead for doing it either.) ;):D I've not been able to duplicate the takeoff flip yet. I've had many an engine die but as to this date, no flip.

Michael

Clearly you've never tried the A2A bird. That one you have to learn how NOT to flip.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Clearly you've never tried the A2A bird. That one you have to learn how NOT to flip.

Thanks for that input!! To be honest I've never flown any A2A bird. I guess I'll have to burn Jan's credit card again and get a few examples!! ;) Right after I buy that next case of Highland Park of course!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.