F-104 Starfighter

the 'Widowmaker!' 119 modern Luftwaffe pilots dead. Likely a Soviet plot :):):)

No, a corporate marketing campaign, not a commie plot. Read famed UK test pilot Roland "Bee" Beamont's autobiography. It tells about how Lockheed aggressively, and sometimes pretty much dishonestly, sold the F-104 around the world, even when other manufacturer's aircraft (like the English Electric Lightning) was probably a better pilot's choice. I get a thrill seeing the Starfighter at museums, in pics, videos, and sims, but I know there was lots of bribery, ruthless salesmanship, and good old boy deals in smoke-filled back rooms that got the F-104 into the air, despite its many design and performance shortcomings.

I saw a Luftwaffe F-104 do a Mach 1 flypast at RAF Finningley airshow back in the '70's - it was the first and last time due to broken windows for miles around! The pilot made a textbook landing afterwards - altogether an unforgettable experience.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I'm afraid I'll subscribe Mr. Underwoods comment. And in those days, not too long after WW2, it was not done to buy non-American build fighters or other planes in most European countries. I was raised to be very thankful regarding the US support in WW2 and after (Marshall Help). And I'm still thankful btw.

Edit: And I skipped the F-104 from my Sims, after causing big smoking holes all over the world while trying to land this lethal bird :mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This one is a real hand full when trying to slow for landing. Let that airspeed drop below 170 knots and this baby rolls over and nosedives into the ground. I find that coming in at 175-180 knots and dropping flaps one setting at about 50 feet above the runway threshold and then popping the speed brake at touchdown does the trick. Carrying several sets of clean skivvies helps! :eek:

Thanks for the comments, guys!:D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

That's a wicked aircraft for sure. I think I'll pass on that one for sure. Looking forward to some landing shots :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UT-OH, could this have been mrzippy getting carried away?

Business

See This Old Plane? It Killed 4 F-15s In Simulated Battles in the Sky

The National Interest Dario Leone,The National Interest 5 hours ago

Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Dario Leone

Security,

We can tell you how.

See This Old Plane? It Killed 4 F-15s In Simulated Battles in the Sky

The Lockheed F-104 was the first operational fighter capable of sustaining speeds above Mach 2.

Rick :cool:

its an awesome plane, but went to sale half cooked. Once they got rid of its problems, its a fine bird. Reminds me of how Microsoft pushes out products to users then you get thousands of patches and updates. I did read long ago the story of how a much more apt British model (hybrid propulsion of rocket and jet engines) immensely superior to the Starfighter was being considered and initially opted for. The final choice, however. was made under political and other Lockheed backhanded pressures.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived