Okay, my newly found love (i think) of flight

Well there is NOTHING wrong with Milton Shupe (et al) D18S (N412K). NOTHING. Not with the model (it's SPECTACULAR). Not with the FDEs (the 'tail dragger=false' in air is irrelevant). I landed it on main gear with tail wheel 1 foot off ground, then with tail wheel 4 ft off ground (level) at slow/fast speeds and - NO BOUNCE!!!. NO ISSUES whatsoever. So YOU must be doing something wrong (ie: PILOT ERRORs, Inexperience with tail-draggers, lack of flying skill, etc). I did not change anything and it takes off /flys /lands like a dream. Cheesh!

Chuck B

Napamule

I'm so happy for you Chuck! Cheesh!

Well I am more happy than you can ever imagine. Watch this short video to see how well it can really perform. Link:

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks, Charlie, this one was giving me a fit over the runway. I went to Milton Shupe's original D18, file D18SVC4.zip and that flew without issue!

I compared both Aircraft.cfg sets and they were almost identical. I then went into the N412K AirEd file and found one entry that was a true/false entry,

Is this a taildragger? It was set as false. I changed it to true! Had my doubts that could make a difference but it certainly didn't hurt any. Both aircraft are flying fine now. Can I land without the slightest (by slightest, I mean inches) bounce? No, and I don't think I ever will be able to get this down without a few inches of bounce. BUT, the landings are now manageable! I just landed the P-51 at around 150+ KIAS and that will keep you on the edge of your seat! Didn't feel like it bounced at all. Can't take my eyes off that landing and still feel safe doing so.

Thanks Charlie and let me know how you do on the Beech 18. I asked Jim to also let me know!

Thanks - Rick :cool:

Hi Rick! I think you are slowly, but surely answering your own questions. You have a knack for downloading aircraft that have been buggered by someone other than the original developer. I have the download and will try later this morning. I have been flying Milton's L-18 Lodestar for a while now and I know if flies great, as you have found that the original D18SVC4.zip did. A little bounce never hurts.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Rick! I think you are slowly, but surely answering your own questions. You have a knack for downloading aircraft that have been buggered by someone other than the original developer. I have the download and will try later this morning. I have been flying Milton's L-18 Lodestar for a while now and I know if flies great, as you have found that the original D18SVC4.zip did. A little bounce never hurts.

Thanks Charlie! I am not going to let this ruin my life! Most everything I have downloaded by Milton Shupe has been "spot on" and I expected nothing less out of this one. That did not happen! I've checked, rechecked, and still no luck! It could very well be my technique, and i am not discounting that at all!. For now, the plane is sitting on the back burner, because I don't need the aggravation! We now have a community forum "Heckler', Napamule 2, who thinks he is cute by not only telling me that it is all Pilot error, not having experience with tail draggers, and basically using my lack of success in making this download work and having fun with his mockery of it! See his video he produced to further insult me and give rise to his self professed "know it all" flying attitude! Rather than try to help a member of this flight sim community, Chuck choses to take advantage of others' problems/issues and use if for his own entertainment!

Charlie, I have always respected you for someone who can be counted on in offering a "helping hand" to those who need it. This latest

episode of Chuck's certainly is not helping anybody. It can do nothing but bolster his "Super Ego!" Hear that, Chuck? CHEESH!

You have just been accepted to the "Elite" of my KOBRA club! Not many out there, deserving such recognition, but, you Pal move right to top!

Rick :cool:

Test flight completed and all seems to be OK with this aircraft. No bounce down the runway. I definitely prefer Milton's Native FSX models over the FS9 converted to FSX. I keep an eye out over at SOH. That's where Milton uploads his newest first.

This was about 1 foot off of the runway.

foot off ground.JPG

This one was just as the main wheels touched down.

Touchdown.JPG

And this was when the tail wheel made contact.

Tail wheel touch.JPG

Charlie - What might I ask, is your technique? Do you level out at say 50-75 above the runway, and then just come off the throttle with the F2 key?

Just curious, everyone is having luck, but I am not getting much in the way of suggestions, other than Jim's technique of "letting the stick go?"

Charlie - What might I ask, is your technique? Do you level out at say 50-75 above the runway, and then just come off the throttle with the F2 key?

Just curious, everyone is having luck, but I am not getting much in the way of suggestions, other than Jim's technique of "letting the stick go?"

I use an Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I try not to use keyboard buttons as much as possible. PM was sent. As my pictures show, I rarely do a centerline landing in smaller GA aircraft. Must be my lack of good depth perception.:eek:

I use an Extreme 3D Pro joystick. I try not to use keyboard buttons as much as possible. PM was sent. As my pictures show, I rarely do a centerline landing in smaller GA aircraft. Must be my lack of good depth perception.:eek:

Ditto with what Mr. Zip sez ! No problem with this aircraft. I also use the Extreme 3D joystick and hardly ever the keys. I have also used the yoke, and have found the joystick to be much more precise. And I think that centerlines are for airline bus drivers only, as hot pilots have no need for them.

Now that Napamule is one hot pilot. :) >>>>

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

'..one hot pilot..'. Well the D18S WILL bounce if: (1). You have full fuel load. (2). If you 'drop' onto runway as oppose to doing slight flair and then try for a 3 point landing while still 'flying' it (ie: under power) onto runway reduce power slowly - DON'T just F1 it! (3). You don't use +14 (or more) of up pitch trim to allow 'glideing' in (ie: nose up as opposed to nose down). No need to 'throw' or 'turn loose' the joystick or other 'antics' suggested as a 'cure'. The 'CURE' is SKILL and that takes practice. I ALWAYS try to be helpful but sometimes I get in a silly mood and just 'want for to make you laugh'. I don't hate anybody. I am a LOVER not a FIGHTER. Go ahead and put me down-I can take it: I will still say: 'He Is Not Heavy - He Is My Brother'. Have a 'nice landing' day.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

'..one hot pilot..'. Well the D18S WILL bounce if: (1). You have full fuel load. (2). If you 'drop' onto runway as oppose to doing slight flair and then try for a 3 point landing while still 'flying' it (ie: under power) onto runway reduce power slowly - DON'T just F1 it! (3). You don't use +14 (or more) of up pitch trim to allow 'glideing' in (ie: nose up as opposed to nose down). No need to 'throw' or 'turn loose' the joystick or other 'antics' suggested as a 'cure'. The 'CURE' is SKILL and that takes practice. I ALWAYS try to be helpful but sometimes I get in a silly mood and just 'want for to make you laugh'. I don't hate anybody. I am a LOVER not a FIGHTER. Go ahead and put me down-I can take it: I will still say: 'He Is Not Heavy - He Is My Brother'. Have a 'nice landing' day.

Chuck B

Napamule

Chuck's amazing magic video with this aircraft:

This is a must see for anyone interested in the subject of this thread!!! The take-off alone is like something out of The Carbonero Effect (magical!)!!

I encourage everyone to watch it--you'll get a kick out of it!

Great vid, Chuck! I've got to know to how this is done!

bushp04

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Bushp04,

Quote: '.. I've got to know to how this is done!'

Well, you take the Harrier FDEs, use them for the D18S, after some tweaking of cnt pts and CofB and fuel load (you ADD not take away, for 'balance'). Start today and you'll figure it ALL out by Holloween (maybe). Like I said: this is just for fun. No 'Slew' involved. It jams at 192 kts, land at 48 kts. Just showing ('off'?) what can be done with FDEs. You can make a brick do the same, by the way. Have a 'nice landing' day!

Chuck B

Napamule

Hahaha! Zip! I almost guessed as much! HOWEVER, HOW did napamule2 make all those slews into one pretty doggone fluid flight?!! No matter! It is one of the of most interesting flight vids I've seen! (Besides, the code of the magicians, "never reveal..." would probably prevent him from telling us!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

No majic in the "real deal," just practice practice and practice! I guess the older you get, the more you tend to forget and that includes things you learned some 40-50 years ago. Anyway, I am pleased to say that I think I am back on the road to making this nice download fly the way that it should fly! Thanks to MrZ, GeeBeeJim and all who gave me constructive feedback on where I might be going wrong in making successful wheel landings! It's not totally there just yet, but I have hours of practice yet to do, before I will really say "it's back again!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]205307[/ATTACH]

Yes, this is the original Milton Shupe download. It is my practice pal. I won't attempt the pretty one until I have this one down pat!

Thanks - Rick

+napamule2~Thanks for giving us the 'reveal.' Ah, yes, the FDE! Seems I vaguely remember taking a try at working with same way back in FS2004.

Appreciate the tip!

bushp04

The Flying Brick

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Hey Chuck, How cool is that!!

Boy would I have loved to be able to juggle the FDE numbers RW in the 60's!! Think how sweet a R-4 or other tail-dragger would have been to land!!;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I made a 5 min video. It's over at the MSFS Video Forum. Check it out. A picture is worth a thousand words - but a video will leave you speechless (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived