Pre-Setting the autopilot

I have just one aircraft which can be pre-set for Altitude and Heading so that once airborne I only have to press a button on the joystick to activate the autopilot.

If I pre-set the heading button on all other aircraft then the trim immediately moves up. Similarly if I set the Heading button then the aircraft tips over toward that heading before the wheels have left the runway.

Is there a parameter in the aircraft.cfg file which can allow pre-setting these two buttons?

Many thanks

Frank

I can set any of my aircraft's autopilot heading, altitude, and auto throttle settings in advance of takeoff and then click on the A/P and A/T control buttons after wheels up before anything changes. Nothing in the aircraft.cfg that I can think of affects that. Maybe something in your default flight? Maybe your A/P is on when you think it's off??

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Are you presetting with the mouse pushing a button or are you doing it with keyboard controls such as CTRL-H? The latter usually turns the AP on along with setting the AP function.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes Top Gun.

I try to pre-set Heading and Altitude using the mouse but doing this turns on the AP as well.

In other words, I cannot click on either button without the AP master light coming on.

I do have just one aircraft (Osprey V-22 Mach 1) where I can click both the Heading and the Altitude without turning on the Master AP button..........Once airborne then I hit the AP on/off button on my joystick.

Yes Top Gun.

I try to pre-set Heading and Altitude using the mouse but doing this turns on the AP as well.

In other words, I cannot click on either button without the AP master light coming on.

I do have just one aircraft (Osprey V-22 Mach 1) where I can click both the Heading and the Altitude without turning on the Master AP button..........Once airborne then I hit the AP on/off button on my joystick.

Well, junior member, does clicking your mouse button anywhere in the cockpit cause the A/P Master button to turn on?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

In some aircraft engaging hdg-hold makes it engage and steer the aircraft even if autopilot master is not on. For example almost all props have the bendix 2d popup in which it works like that.

Now that you noticed it, use it properly and don't click the hdg-hold button until you want it to steer the plane.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In some aircraft engaging hdg-hold makes it engage and queer the aircraft even if autopilot master is not on. For example almost all props have the bendix 2d popup in which it works like that.

Now that you noticed it, use it properly and don't click the hdg-hold button until you want it to steer the plane.

Exactly. If you use the a/p wrongly, it's scant issue that it works wrong. The a/p is not normally enabled until 1,000 ft AGL, so try using it properly and see if that fixes it...

Don't cheat! You set things up, but I believe (at least in the U.S.) you engage the AP at around 1,000-1,500 AGL. I can't remember off hand what it was now. At about 500 AGL you most likely would engage the LNAV because of noise abatement, etc. But the crappy default aircraft don't have a FMC or even a LNAV or VNAV. So pretend your heading switch is LNAV.

Anyway, learn to fly your plane manually and even at cruse. I'd be surprised if even real life pilots can fly their plane at cruise without all the bells and whistles that make life easier. It was just that which was the catalyst to Air France's disaster over the Atlantic in route to Brazil. Know your plane, know how to operate it in a proficient manner.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

No need to be rude. He's not 'cheating'. (and even if he was, it's just a computer game. :) )

In the default 737 and 747 you set altitude and heading, and click their hdg and alt holds, and it won't steer the plane yet.

Only when you engage AP-Master does it start steering the aircraft.

It's different in the Beech Baron and Cessna. There engaging hdg-hold or alt-hold DOES start steering it right away. Just a different way of operating.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No need to be rude. He's not 'cheating'. (and even if he was, it's just a computer game. :) )

In the default 737 and 747 you set altitude and heading, and click their hdg and alt holds, and it won't queer the plane yet.

Only when you engage AP-Master does it start queering the aircraft.

It's different in the Beech Baron and Cessna. There engaging hdg-hold or alt-hold DOES start queering it right away. Just a different way of operating.

I'd hardly call CRJ_simpilot's post rude. It was lucid, intelligent, and well-thought out.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Whoa! I'm not that smart. LOL And I'm certainly no real life pilot. But I just wanted to point out that one should become harmonious to the plane, in that one should not solely depend on the AP. LOL

But it really is a stupid game after all. You can always chose to fly it no mater how you chose. I mix mostly realism with a little half assery. LOL!

If I fly the PMDG 737, I try to fly as real as possible. Especially if I'm in VATSIM. It's a very professional atmosphere. Well, at least it should be. I've seen some pretty funny things in there.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Archived