Some Objects Not Visible at Night

Honus

Hi,

I've added some buildings and objects to various airports using Airport Design Editor and during day hours all looks good. But at dusk, night, dawn, objects disappear and only stock objects appear. Never encountered this before. Any ideas?

Thanks

It's not that they're not lit up. They are not there at all. It's like they were never there. These are items that come with ADE. In daylight, they are perfect. Anything other than "day" and they disappear.

Try adjusting your Autogen slider and see if it makes a difference. Try max left, then middle, then right.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

No. I never use DX10 because of negative reports I've sern

Did you read the whole link? It was fixed because of FSX.cfg or GPU drivers.

OOM errors? Read this.

"The great thing about flight simulation is that in real life there are no do-overs." - Abraham Lincoln c. 1865

An awesome weather website with oodles of Info. and options.

Wile E. Coyote would be impressed.

Yes I read the link. The people at FSDevelopers say the model is broken and I should live with it which means no night flying. Sounds like a cop out to me. I'll do some more tinkering.

If you're going to tinker, perhaps a little advice would help. I strongly suggest you take Mt Zippy's advice

1. Takeoff in whatever you like to fly.

2. At an appropriate altitude, Pause The Flight.

3. Take two screen shots of exactly the same scene(s). The only difference being, set the time for daylight for the first shot, then set to dark and take another shot.

If what you're concerned about doesn't appear obvious enough on your first attempt, repeat the process at another location or two. Then post your shots on this forum.

Screen shots generally a much better way to describe a specific scene than just typing in words!;)

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If you're going to tinker, perhaps a little advice would help. I strongly suggest you take Mt Zippy's advice

1. Takeoff in whatever you like to fly.

2. At an appropriate altitude, Pause The Flight.

3. Take two screen shots of exactly the same scene(s). The only difference being, set the time for daylight for the first shot, then set to dark and take another shot.

If what you're concerned about doesn't appear obvious enough on your first attempt, repeat the process at another location or two. Then post your shots on this forum.

Screen shots generally a much better way to describe a specific scene than just typing in words!;)

Rupert

Ok, here's the screen shots. Same location at UNNT in Russia. One day setting, one dusk.

Screenshot 2018-02-07 19.32.08.png

Screenshot 2018-02-07 19.33.01.png

Good shots of what you were describing! Theses objects were from the ADE library? Can ADE use objects from other libraries? I know developers place objects like buildings in their new scerery projects that don't disappear.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Good shots of what you were describing! Theses objects were from the ADE library? Can ADE use objects from other libraries? I know developers place objects like buildings in their new scerery projects that don't disappear.

I think some objects come from the SDK library that contains scenery buildings and objects for FS9 and FSX. I'm not sure which ones were native to ADE only. Could this play into it?

This building is in Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Global\scenery in the hazards.bgl

The textures are in Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Global\Texture with the name nuclear01.dds and for the night texture nuclear01_lm.dds

Look if you have the nuclear01_lm.dds in your Texture.

Jan

EHAM base RWY 06

Some airplanes : Fokker70

Intel i7-4771 3.90 Ghz - Asus Z87-A - Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 - Memory 8 GB - Windows 7 64 - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120 GB / 250GB - Samsung HD 1TB / 160 GB

As F70 says looks like the Light Map for the object isn't included.

Other perilous assumptions in your post Honus are that there are issues with DX10 and FSX. They've long been solved by DX10 fixer and in any case that's no reason NOT to try them, and that you can `tinker` with anything and not cause a major problem for your FSX installation. You can't, so either live with it or fix it with our or FS Developers advice.

Honus, see below.

mrzippy,

I'll try to answer your question. (There's a lot to it though, so I may accidentally forget to mention some thing.)

First I'll clear some confusion. Object Library can mean various things.

1-An object library can be a file in the Flightsim.com file library. COntaining objects.

If you have installed an addon airport that contains those objects, you will need to install the object library for them to show up. Without that. THere is no way for FSX to show the object.

2-an object library can also be this same file, installed in fsx. If you installed it, the objects can be displayed by fsx. (rendered.).

3-In this thread I saw someone say "the ADE object Library". I think what they meant is actually called something else.

In ADE there is the: "Library Object Manager".

If you have never seen the Library Object Manager, imagine it like a simple list of object names. select the desired object and click OK to place on the airport.

||

ADE does not have a folder with objects.

The: "Library Object Manager" is a function in ADE that allows you to place an object in a certain position.

It is basically a list of all objects that can be placed.

But those objects are not installed in ADE. They are installed in FSX. (or, they can be.)

||

The default objects are installed (already) in FSX. (Installing the Big Thumbnail Pack makes placing them in ADE easy.)

But the "man made" object libraries that you can find on Flightsim.com are not (yet) installed in FSX by you probably. You don't have thumbnail for them either. However, many many of those objects names are already in the ADE "Library Object Manager" list from the start.

A little note on THumbnails:

the thubmnails that are used as previews have a specific filename requirement. Every file has a name that stars with the GUID of the object. (The Unique identifier of the object. A long number.) In brackets.

That is folowed by a description.

An example:

{ffbd70e0-8c89-40a1-9639-fce9905324ec}_veg_b_cottonwood_old4.jpg

In ADE you see the description in the "Library object Manager". (and the image of course.)

------------

When you download an object library to add to FSX, you will also need to make ADE aware of it.

You do this from the Library Object Manager. By telling it where the new objects are.

Some object libraries come with a set of correctly named thumbnails.

Some only have a set of Images, but no GUID in their filename. That takes some tinkering.

Some don't have any Thumbs at all.

In fsx are a lot of default objects.

Many of these can be easily placed by ADE.

ADE is already aware of them. And they can be selected when designing an addon airport.

Thing is, in ADE when placing them you don't see a preview image. So it's hard to know what you are adding.

But that can be changed.

On the ADE site you can find a link to the "Big Thumbnail Pack". A file to donload. Chock-full of thumbnail images of the objects.

These thumbnails you install in the ADE folder: thumbs

After doing so, you will see previews of the objects when placin them.

Now when creating an airport, you can:

right click somewhere on the design,

select "add library object"

the ADE library opens.

you select the object,

click OK,

and a square shows on your airport design in ADE, showing you the location. Hovering the mouse on it shows the preview image as well.

Some of the default objects in fsx have a limitation. They are tied to a location.

Placing the Golden Gate Bridge in Africa won't work.

Objects can be made in many ways.

AN dobjects intended for FS9 may not work correctly in FSX

Honus,

Other then clearing up the confusion about what in theis thread was wrongly called the ADE object library but which is actually the "Library object MANAGER". I don't think I can add much.

I do have one question:

Are the objects not there at night, or are they invisible?

try crashing in to them by night AND BY DAY to compare.

Also, If you asked this on the FSDeveloper Forum, and did tell them exactly what objects you are using.

Then why all this asking here???

Why zero info on which objects?

Why don't you give us a link to the FSDeveloper discussion?

You give no info. I think that's a bit rude to say the least. Especially if you discussed this with other forums before. Don't send us on a fishing expedition.

The link lesh gave in post 5 was not to the FSDev forum by the way. Maybe read it. It seems there is a simple workaround that you could at least try.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This building is in Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Global\scenery in the hazards.bgl

The textures are in Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\Global\Texture with the name nuclear01.dds and for the night texture nuclear01_lm.dds

Look if you have the nuclear01_lm.dds in your Texture.

Jan

Hi,

I just looked and yes, both of these files are there.

Not that I have to defend myself, but I had addressed this with FSDeveloper some while back and got no response until recently. I addressed it here because I had received no response and that I might encounter someone on FS that might have run into this. I had hoped this would be simpler but since I've put everyone out, please go back to whatever you were doing and I'll work this out somehow. If i want a sermon, i'll go to church.

Let's forget it. I had tried DX10 and it didn't do much except make some of the AI aircraft textures disappear. I won't bother anyone on here about it and I certainly don't want to tarnish any self inflated egos. I'd rather live with it than be preached at.

If you had a discussion about it on FSdev, give a link to that. No need to repeat that part of the discussion on this site too.

If you want help editing an airport by adding objects, give the name of the object library and airport you are working with. .zip file names.

If adding an addon, and there are issues. give the name of the .zip file.

Don't just describe something you see.

Sounds logical to me. After all, you want help with something. Then it's weird if you don't say what that something is.

And repeating everything you already heard, won't help you. So prevent that by telling what you know or giving a link to the discussion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FS Developers only said, "it's broken and you'll have to live with it."

I don't need to repeat anything on this. I don't want help with anything and I've been preached at enough. I'm sorry this wasn't as simple as I hoped it would be. I'll fly during the day hours and be happy. Later.

FS Developers only said, "it's broken and you'll have to live with it."

I don't need to repeat anything on this. I don't want help with anything and I've been preached at enough. I'm sorry this wasn't as simple as I hoped it would be. I'll fly during the day hours and be happy. Later.

Honus - If you are getting those kind of answers from the FS Developers, I can understand your frustrations! You have reached out to the members of this site and not getting the answers you are looking for, there are other sites out there. I participate in both this site and AVSIM, and there are knowledgeable members on both, so don't throw the towel in just yet! Seems like someone out there should have come across this before. You just need to find that someone!

Good luck in your search! - Rick

I don't care for night flying much anyway so I can just move on from this. The only time now the objects disappear is total night. From dusk to dawn we're good which is when I fly normally. I just find it curious. Plus it's only some of the objects. Funny enough, the objects from the FS9 library always work. It's some of the FSX objects that don't. During day, they all work. One day I'll figure it out. Later man.

What a happy, friendly thread!!

Honus I can see your frustration with the professionals you've dealt with. Having said that, they're not here! We're people who fly for fun who also try to help each other out!

If we're too busy preaching sermons to suit, don't let hit the screen door hit your backside on the way out!! :p:p

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived