The Next Generation of Sims-Which will take off?

jonas_wikander

Here's a question for those of you who claim you'll stick with FSX forever. If all the publishers stopped and there was never going to be any new add-on products for FSX, would you still feel satisfied to keep using it forever?

Yes. That's the overall plan in a nutshell.

Cheers,

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a pretty dies in the wool FSX fan. But I must admit the Aerofly2 looks pretty interesting. Though I agree with a poster on the MSFS screenshot forum, the scenery looks pretty pale and washed out. However that might change over time.

Having said that. I have a ton invested in FSX scenery so I'll have to do some pretty serious research before i get too involved. I thought P3D might be the next great thing but after buying it and flying with it, I changed my mind I now consider P3D mainly just FSX with poor scenery colors.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• Founder
I completely missed that announcement. As soon as I have paid my taxes (deadline today) I'll renew my subscription.

But honestly, shouldn't such an announcement by a huge, fixed banner, preferably in the forum section (or in all sections for that matter)?

I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one (who was) oblivious to this Drive.

Well, I guess I have to ask...you guys who frequent the forums do you ever visit this site's home page? The place where we post news like this (which I already did).

I want people to know about things like this, but I don't want to be obnoxious about it. But it seems that unless people are actually forced to read things they never see them...

Home page:

https://www.flightsim.com/

Membership drive:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?17513-FlightSim-Com-Summer-Membership-Drive

Well, I guess I have to ask...you guys who frequent the forums do you ever visit this site's home page? The place where we post news like this (which I already did).

I want people to know about things like this, but I don't want to be obnoxious about it. But it seems that unless people are actually forced to read things they never see them...

Sorry, Nels, but nope! My bookmark for this site is straight to the Forums page. Same for the AVSIM Site.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So you really have no interest in all the news and feature articles we post there?

I just looked at the Home page. All of the "features" always pop up over on the right side of the forums page or are part of the "New Posts" that I view regularly. The "News" always seems to be about payware stuff I can't use. The one feature thing I like is "Where in the World".

Articles can be pulled down and read from the Articles Tab on the Forums page.

I just sent in my answer for "Where in the World" #96.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The home page is my starting page, but I usually only look at Features (I read all X-plane related reviews and even leave comments there) and Recent Forum Activity (which is how I discovered there was a Drive in the first place - I saw one of mrzippy's ubiquitous posts :) ).

Like mrzippy, I consider News to be mostly an ads section, although I realize you don't get paid for press releases.

The Drive item was posted on June, 29. When I noticed yesterday, in the Recent Forum Activity, that there was a Drive, I searched the site and initially couldn't find it! By that time the post had already moved to the bottom! There should be a way to make certain news items 'sticky'. Also, to me it looked like just another 'ad press release'.

I am not a marketeer, but there are such things as 'Salience' and 'Rule of Repetition' in marketing.

Still, I hope you can attract more subscribers compared to last year's drive.

My default is the home page and I spotted it when it first appeared, being nosey I had a look and now I'm a VIP lol.

I was laready a supporting member but I do use the download page and having that extra speed will make a difference plus this is my number one FS site so why not.

.... If all the publishers stopped and there was never going to be any new add-on products for FSX, would you still feel satisfied to keep using it forever?

I have FS9, but the premise is the same, and the answer is the same as for similar questions posed in the race sim community - I will continue with what I have until something comes along that is sufficiently better to warrant dumping my investment of time and money over the years and starting over.

To be analogous, I spent years in the high-end audio community, where my attitude was heresy, "Yes, that $8000 preamp sounds better than my $2000 preamp ...but it doesn't sound $6000 better".

''However, the arrival of new software does beg the question- which one will become the new standard for simming?''

Whoever gets the most people to buy their product.

I own both TSW and FSW. They are imho terrible. There is no variety offered to enhance the experience and I do not think that the 64 bit sims are (at this time) everything that people are cranking them up to be.

X-plane 11 is nothing to write home about either. Now that I have it I realize I would have been just as happy with X-plane 10. When I bought it I was hoping for a good ATC system. It didn't happen and I do not like that there is no change of seasons. I like flying with real time and weather.

Prepar3d v4, I did not buy it, yet. I am happy with version 3. It has everything I want. When the time is right I will purchase it.

I am still happy with FSX. I have steam edition on one computer and boxed on the other. I don't have any fears that it will go away anytime soon. If it does, oh well.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I have a few Sims installed:

FS-2004

FSX

Flight

FSW

P3D 3

P3D 4

X-Plane X

X-Plane XI (Demo)

They all have good and bad points. For all the detractors, Flight was good, and if they had been able to take it further, it would've been really impressive. The lighting effects that were touted in P3D 4 existed half a decade before in Flight.

The performance of P3D is quite impressive compared to FSX. Of course, v4 will only accept fully FSX compatible models, no port overs. So there's lots to think about with various versions.

FSW is okay, but again they should've put together a full product rather than saying they were going to dribble something out.

As for X-Plane, I'm not really a fan so I won't get in to it.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

I also think that the ease to edit certain parts is also important. I myself like to tweak a bit as do a lot more, I remember a sim I had years ago that was fairly easy to edit and add/improve things plus it got a lot of others making and improving models and missions.

Then the developers changed everything in the next generation, it took a long while for the same results plus a lot dropped off because of it.

Also think of Addons, if a sim isn't getting the following then the addon people won't be making any so then it slowly dies or gets a small band of die hard followers.

Think back to your very first Flight Sim, when you first installed it, was it easy to get to grips with or was it hard to get simple things to work, did you end up battling on and coming on forums to find the answer or did you bin it and try another sim?

Also think of Addons, if a sim isn't getting the following then the addon people won't be making any so then it slowly dies or gets a small band of die hard followers.

That's a vicious circle. Without addons no followers, but nof followers without addons.

Also, I know I keep hitting the same nail over and over again, but backward compatibility leads to a lock-in. Even FSW and P3Dv4 still have the same good ol' FSX scenery engine. A step backward in fact to MS Flight, with its vastly improved FSX engine that completely got neglected by DTG.

I saw a chart by Coolsky showing the following market shares in 2014:

FSX: 68% (down from 76% in 2012)

P3D: 14% (up from 1%)

FS9: 9% (down from 19%)

XP: 7% (up from 2%)

Other: 2% (unchanged)

Wish I knew what market shares were in 2016, but here is my prediction for 2018:

XP: 40% (I've never been a fan of X-Plane, but XP11 is fantastic people!)

P3D: 30% (Price, EULA and backward compatibility of v4 are the deterrents)

FSX: 20% (The one we all keep in our back-pockets, just in-case)

Aerofly: 5% (Great in VR, smooth as silk, needs more substance)

FSW: 3% (unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat, this is not THE ONE)

Other: 2% (FS9 etc)

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Also, I know I keep hitting the same nail over and over again, but backward compatibility leads to a lock-in. Even FSW and P3Dv4 still have the same good ol' FSX scenery engine. A step backward in fact to MS Flight, with its vastly improved FSX engine that completely got neglected by FSW.

There must therefore be a logical reason for MS to have dropped Flight, and for no-one else to have picked it up again? Maybe the MS Flight scenery engine was only suitable for relatively small areas such as Hawaii, and not the whole world?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There must therefore be a logical reason for MS to have dropped Flight, and for no-one else to have picked it up again?

They launched it with that stupid GFWL (Games For Windows Live) wrapper, which ruined everything. I recall trying to run it several times and it would either not connect, download or launch properly or just hang or crash. I uninstalled it and decided to wait until it got sorted out and next thing it was discontinued. Guess too many people had my attitude and we killed it, unfortunately

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

There must therefore be a logical reason for MS to have dropped Flight, and for no-one else to have picked it up again? Maybe the MS Flight scenery engine was only suitable for relatively small areas such as Hawaii, and not the whole world?

Unfortunately a very common misconception. The 'whole world' had always been present in MS Flight ('in potentia'), and in fact, a former member of the Flight development team has written a utility that allows migrating standard scenery from FSX to Flight (which is what some diehard MS Flight fans are doing to this day, albeit with mixed results given some incompatibilities)!

The real reason for Flight's demise was an idiotic marketing strategy, whereby the project manager treated third party developers with disdain. Orbx (and others) could have done so much, if only they had been allowed to.

And DTG didn't pick it up, because - in their own words - they had already invested too much in FSX/SE, and they wanted to capitalize on that experience.

Yes, when I fire up Flight, I can go anywhere in the world. The scenery on the highest setting is lower than FSX on the highest setting, but 5 years ago Flight had 3D trees, greatly enhanced lighting, much better aircraft models, and better dynamics as well. The only thing which FSW has done better is the effect of rain drizzling along the windows.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Unfortunately a very common misconception. The 'whole world' had always been present in MS Flight ('in potentia'), and in fact, a former member of the Flight development team has written a utility that allows migrating standard scenery from FSX to Flight (which is what some diehard MS Flight fans are doing to this day, albeit with mixed results given some incompatibilities)!

The real reason for Flight's demise was an idiotic marketing strategy, whereby the project manager treated third party developers with disdain. Orbx (and others) could have done so much, if only they had been allowed to.

And DTG didn't pick it up, because - in their own words - they had already invested too much in FSX/SE, and they wanted to capitalize on that experience.

Then there's still hope - you never know these days...

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's going to be between XP11 and P3D4, see my earlier post for predictions of market shares in 2018. My money is on XP11 due to its lower price (discounted on Steam) and no-EULA nonsense. I've been visiting a lot of XP forums for tips and to see which add-ons are worthwhile, and there are plenty of recent posts from FSX converts to XP.

Hm, no word about FSW?

I wouldn't expect any word yet until there's an SDK for FSW, it's still early days ;)

Meanwhile, we'll see whether P3Dv4 add-ons also work in FSW Early Access...

Archived